Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Default ps3 or x box 360???????

right my original ps3 died last night and Im faced with the decision of pay out £100 ish quid and have it fixed with risk of it going again in 3 months, buy a new slim at £250 or buy a x box 360 elite.

now just looking on CEX to sell my ps3 games I can get this amount.

Item Qty
    Delete item button Guitar Hero 5 (Game Only)
    Cash: £8.00
    Exchange: £14.00
    Delete item button Stuntman: Ignition
    Cash: £4.00
    Exchange: £6.00
    Delete item button Guitar Hero World Tour (Solus)
    Cash: £3.00
    Exchange: £5.00
    Delete item button Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
    Delete item button Burnout Paradise
    Cash: £6.00
    Exchange: £9.00
    Delete item button Medal Of Honor - Airborne
    Delete item button Juiced 2
    Exchange: £7.00
    Delete item button Fifa 09
    Cash: £1.20
    Exchange: £1.60
    Delete item button Dead Space
    Delete item button Grand Theft Auto 4 (GTA IV)
    Delete item button Resistance 2
    Delete item button Race Driver: Grid
    Delete item button Lego Star Wars - The Complete Saga
    Cash: £7.00
    Exchange: £11.00
    Delete item button Nascar 09
    Delete item button Resistance: Fall of Man (15)
    Cash: £2.00
    Exchange: £3.00
    Delete item button PS3/PS2 Singstar Microphones (Pair)
    Exchange: £4.00
    Delete item button Singstar Next Gen Solus (no Mics)
    Delete item button Motorstorm
    Delete item button Call of Duty 4
    Delete item button Transformers
    Delete item button Colin McRae DIRT
    Delete item button Need For Speed: Undercover
    Delete item button Fuel
    Delete item button Fight Night Round 4
    Delete item button Little Big Planet
    Delete item button IL2 Sturmovik - Birds Of Prey
    Cash: £8.00
    Exchange: £14.00
    Delete item button Need For Speed Carbon
    Delete item button Need For Speed - Pro Street
    Exchange: £5.00
    Delete item button FIFA 10
    Cash: £10.00
    Exchange: £16.00
    Delete item button Singstar Volume 2: Solus (no Mics)
    Delete item button Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (1
    Cash: £21.00
    Exchange: £26.00
    Delete item button PS3 Official Dual Shock 3 Controller
    Cash: £21.00
    Exchange: £26.00
    Delete item button Guitar Hero 3 + Wireless Guitar & Adapto
    Cash: £11.00
    Exchange: £18.00
    Cash Total:
    £198.20
    Exchange Total:
    £298.60

now I could probably get more than the exchange price selling on ebay but fees would be high but I could sell the console for around £60-80 quid.

now for £300 on cex I can get a elite 250gb and a shed load of games or I can get a slim 120gb and keep fifa 10 and modern warfare. either way no cash leaves my hands lol. I might check gamestations prices aswell.

anyway advice people

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: ps3 or x box 360???????

Keep il sturmovick :-) top game. I think a lot depends on how much internet gaming and blue ray mean to you. Xbox is easily the better online option, the ps3 has blueray. Your fat ps3 also might be worth more in the future depending upon how the hack goes, at the moment only the fat can be. Though if you updated recently that might render the exploit useless anyway and it is some way away from being really useful. The ps3 also has modnation racers and the last guardian coming where as the 360 only has alan wake that really grabs me. So i'd decide upon the online v blueray and which exclusives float your boat you more....

I only ever play online games now days, mainly fifa 10 and modern warfare, the x box has cheaper games and cheaper controlers ect, but I do like the blu ray but have been told its the using it as a blu ray/dvd player that kills them. only exclusive I wanted on ps3 was GT5 if it ever sees light of day. other x box advantage is the video shop rents games lol

is live realy that much better online? I get terible lag on fifa atm

In all honesty, the extra you pay for live is worth it. I've owned both consoles, and played on a PS3 recently, and my preference is still with the 360 for online play and media streaming.

If you play alot online, then the 360. Some people complain its expensive, but put it this way, £199.99 for PS3 or £124.71 for an Xbox 360 (cheapest I can find)

If it's the cost which is guiding you, then it's £35 a year online for Xbox (or cheaper if you search eBay) so it would take a little over 2 years to make the PS3 "cheaper". Yes you get a bluray, but if you already have one then there is no real advantage in my opinion; especially if you don't need the web browser on the PS3.

It's all down to what you need overall.

Best served cold

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1977 View Post
    is live realy that much better online? I get terible lag on fifa atm
    Yes, its capped in regards to the packets it sends- to keep it as stable as possible.
    Lag isnt unknown, but its very rare on the 360, whereas is the norm on ps3.
    When there is lag, it tends to be when a games first released, and if huge numbers are playing it. It will then usually be patched the same or next day to fix lag issues.
    I havent had a laggy game on anything since the cod4 beta...years back.

Everything about live is so much smoother, and crucially theres more people on xbox live at any one time than on psn.
    Live also runs much faster than psn, which seems so slow.

One thing that you'll particuarly notice the difference on is updates. When you start a game and get an update, its a 5 second job as it downloads and installs at the same time. Its also 1 update as each update incorporates all the rest.
    Its not like psn where you have to download all updates seperately, and then install them. Which takes an age.

You can get a 12 month sub off ebay for under £25, which is really worth it.

I have both, and I wish PSN came anywhere close to xbox live- but its so piss poor in its implementation.

"I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a c**k like a burmese python, and the mind of a f**king scientist" - Kenny Powers

He's right for once sadly. I own both but i'm more a solo gamer into weird niche titles so the ps3 gets more play but if ever i want to pound somebody into the ground live is the superior experience by far. I recently downloaded worms on psn as i had a few quid spare and next to nobody ever plays. The interface is much easier on live too in terms of creating games, inviting friends, swapping messages etc. Lag too is sucky on psn and i'm sure it's why i lose every race on wipeout as we all know girl drivers rule

Senior Member?

PS3.

Wild idea but I'd lmao if they made that new CoD that comes out in November a PS3 exclusive, it would boost the PS3 sales like crazy

Best served cold

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall. View Post
    PS3.

Wild idea but I'd lmao if they made that new CoD that comes out in November a PS3 exclusive, it would boost the PS3 sales like crazy
    It would.

But all call of dutys have sold significantly more on 360 than ps3, its something insane like 75% split in favour of 360. Activision are money grabbers so would never intentionally move away from that kind of userbase/money

I got god of war collection on ps3 today, whoop!

well I got £312 trade in, in total so was well pleased. got a 360 elite 120gb with 9 games and extra controller.

first impressions the live is miles better than the cheap looking psn, graphics are slightly better on the ps3 id say, but apart from that the xbox edges it just becuase the interface is better on live ect, and my old live account from 3 years ago is still active. just got to get myself back up to speed on modern warfare 2 again.

gamer tag is :richroverturbo (same as ps3 one) should anyone want to add me

Best served cold

Its interesting you say that about the graphics on the ps3 being better, as thats only really the case on first party titles like god of war or uncharted.
    Most multi format are designed for the 360, and then ported to the ps3 (as its too hard to do it the other way round) so as a result look and run much better on the 360.

I'll add you rich, my tag is predictably: incapable hulk
    (or as you can see in my signature below)
    Live is so much smoother and better than PSN, and makes PSN look amateur in comparrisson. The party feature is a massive difference maker, and just how simple it is to invite people to games or join them....makes it worthwile

Last edited by incapable hulk; 02-05-10 at 11:05.

Bridgfordred79

Stay with PS3, PSN isn't actually that bad anymore and is ever improving.

Too late! didnt realise that you had made the decision!

Last edited by Bridgfordred79; 03-05-10 at 19:41. Reason: No.

Senior Member?

According to Wikipedia, the graphics on PS3 are slightly better than 360's.

PS3 Graphics: 550 MHz NVIDIA/SCEI RSX 'Reality Synthesizer'

360 Graphics: 500 MHz ATI Xenos

Given that the PS3 came out a little while after the 360 you would expect the technical specs on the PS3 to be improved over the 360. It's like the difference between the Mega Drive and the SNES. Had they come out together then there may not have been as much of a difference between the two.

Best served cold

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall. View Post
    According to Wikipedia, the graphics on PS3 are slightly better than 360's.

PS3 Graphics: 550 MHz NVIDIA/SCEI RSX 'Reality Synthesizer'

360 Graphics: 500 MHz ATI Xenos
    Thats not what that says. It doesnt say anything about the graphics better.

What it says is each console has a different graphics card, with the ps3's having the capability to be slightly more powerful.

However, thats not how games work. Its in the coding. If you put street fighter 2 on both consoles- the ps3's wouldnt look any better than it did on the snes, as it wasnt coded to take advantage of that extra power.

Its the same with multi format games, and most ps3 games natively.

Multi format titles (I.e- fifa etc) are built for the 360 and then ported down to the ps3. Thus they look better, and run much more smoothly as they built for the 360, and then converted to ps3.
    This is because the ps3's architechture is so much more complex and whilst its slightly more powerful- most of that power is negated by how the cpu/gpu's work.

Games generally look better, and run better on the 360 at the moment.

Microsoft provide alot of support with thier system, whereas sony are well known for providing none.

Games like uncharted, killzone and god of war 3 show the potential of the ps3, but then anything multiformat (bar final fantasy)looks better on 360.

Which is why I compared it to the Mega Drive/SNES days. The Mega Drive came out before the SNES, and so the Nintendo had the ability to to take advantage of more recent technology. It's not a perfect analogy of course as the graphical differences between the X-Box and the PS3 aren't quite as marked and obvious to the layman's terms as they were between the Mega Drive and the SNES.

Not that I am saying the programming makes no difference.

Best served cold

Aye, its a similar sort of thing. But its alot closer with 360/ps3.

Gamespot have quite good article on it

Conclusion
    We expected the PlayStation 3 to ship with several games that first appeared on the Xbox 360, similar to how the Xbox 360 had a lot of Xbox ports at launch. And the PS3 did indeed arrive with a good number of games that originally shipped for the Xbox 360. This gave us the perfect opportunity to compare the graphics on both systems with several cross-platform games. You'd think that the PS3 versions would be exactly the same or slightly superior to the Xbox 360 versions, since many of these games appeared on the 360 months ago, but it seems like developers didn't use the extra time to polish up the graphics for the PS3. We found that the Xbox 360 actually had better graphics in the majority of the games we compared.
    and then a year later

Outside of Rainbow Six Vegas 2, our findings didn't show any drastic differences in image quality between the two consoles--nothing compared to what we found when we compared first-generation games in our original comparison feature. The PlayStation 3 generally lags behind the Xbox 360 in high-quality textures and the depth/normal maps that go with them. However, in the same games, the PlayStation 3 sometimes comes ahead with better shadowing and antialiasing. Games on the PS3 do tend to be blurrier than their Xbox 360 counterparts, but the PlayStation 3 games can look just as good as the Xbox 360 games when developers put some effort into it, as is evident with both Grand Theft Auto IV and Burnout Paradise. Overall, the PlayStation 3 outputs visuals that are either on par with the Xbox 360 or only slightly behind.
    Its extremely close, and in most cases unnoticeable..but the 360 still slightly shades it.

Once again we only get half the truth from the fan boys.....For the last 6 months to a year there has been virtually no difference between multformat games on either platform. With the notable exception of bayonneta which was a lazy port by sega rather than the development team behind the game as they'd always intended it to be an exclusive. The 360 is the lead format, but the differential is pretty much gone now.... Hence the article being somewhat old

Best served cold

Quote Originally Posted by TrickyTart View Post
    For the last 6 months to a year there has been virtually no difference between multformat games on either platform. With the notable exception of bayonneta which was a lazy port by sega rather than the development team behind the game as they'd always intended it to be an exclusive.
    Well thats an ingenious way to backtrack within the first few sentances of your post. So there isnt a difference, except in the games where there is a difference?

You do realise, the last paragraph I posted pretty much says what you said. However, it manages to say it in a less snarky manner. Well done for just regurgitating itlol

The differences are only very slight, and most people wont even notice- which is one of the benefits of games going multiformat now. No one really loses out.

Last edited by incapable hulk; 04-05-10 at 10:43.

You spend to much time being my echo i thought i'd have a go at being yours for a change $-D

fifa 10 and mw2 do play alot smoother, fifa bein g the most noticable as it seens to respond quicker to your commands