Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In shoe shops
    Posts
    1,458

    Default History of game companies

    Www.Tinyurl.Com/yf7ptnn


    Strictly for the geeky but i found it interesting lol ;-D

    Similar Threads:

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    3,898

    Default Re: History of game companies

    Didn't think you were interested in anything tiny! lol


  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In shoe shops
    Posts
    1,458

    Default Re: History of game companies

    The g spot is only a couple of inches in. It tends to be men and their repressed homoerotic issues that worry about size.....


  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,234

    Default Re: History of game companies

    lol that's quite funny!


  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,234

    Default Re: History of game companies

    The link is cool though...


  7. #6
    Best served cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cliftonia
    Posts
    25,248

    Default Re: History of game companies

    Quote Originally Posted by TrickyTart View Post
    The g spot is only a couple of inches in. It tends to be men and their repressed homoerotic issues that worry about size.....
    *Takes notes*

    Maybe this is why I like comics.....

    I cant spot rare on there, and being the only games company ive worked for...its quite interesting to see how it all pans out.

    To say rockstar only release gta and red dead games...how have they got so many studios.
    Though rockstar leeds just made a load of people redundant...maybe thats why.

    Hmmmmmmm

    "I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a c**k like a burmese python, and the mind of a f**king scientist" - Kenny Powers

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In shoe shops
    Posts
    1,458

    Default Re: History of game companies

    Don't forget table tennis and bully. Which actually was a pretty good game i thought


  9. #8
    Best served cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cliftonia
    Posts
    25,248

    Default Re: History of game companies

    Oh right yeah,your bang on there. I guess the psp and ds GTA games too are done seperately.


  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In shoe shops
    Posts
    1,458

    Default Re: History of game companies

    China town wars was a good game, plus they have to sit around deciding how to trick microsoft into spending millions on timed exclusives or the coolest way to have shit combat during a mission to drive from point a to point b....Still its gangster blood


  11. #10
    I belong to nobody!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cybertron
    Posts
    3,948

    Default Re: History of game companies

    Didn't Rockstar also produce Manhunt?


  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In shoe shops
    Posts
    1,458

    Default Re: History of game companies

    Yes sir. I believe they did. I never played, rumour had it that it was just plain nasty, but tabloids love running stories like that


  13. #12
    Best served cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cliftonia
    Posts
    25,248

    Default Re: History of game companies

    Quote Originally Posted by TrickyTart View Post
    Yes sir. I believe they did. I never played, rumour had it that it was just plain nasty, but tabloids love running stories like that
    It wasnt actually that bad. Once again it was the tabloids taking something and making it up to be much more than it was.
    It was no worse than the majority of games, and it wasnt much of a game truth be told.


  14. #13
    I belong to nobody!!!
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cybertron
    Posts
    3,948

    Default Re: History of game companies

    Quote Originally Posted by incapable hulk View Post
    It wasnt actually that bad. Once again it was the tabloids taking something and making it up to be much more than it was.
    It was no worse than the majority of games, and it wasnt much of a game truth be told.
    Agreed.

    It wasn't as if you went around raping kids. Some of the kills were a bit gory but thats as bad as it got.

    It was an 18 cert after all!


  15. #14
    Best served cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cliftonia
    Posts
    25,248

    Default Re: History of game companies

    Quote Originally Posted by The Maniacal Megatron View Post
    Agreed.

    It wasn't as if you went around raping kids. Some of the kills were a bit gory but thats as bad as it got.

    It was an 18 cert after all!
    Definitely. Kids shouldnt have been playing it, anymore than they should've been watching an 18 rated movie.
    These parents who moan about this stuff, should maybe just try not buying it for thier kids.

    Some of the kills were abit gruesome, but no more so than the majority of horror movies or stuff.


  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In shoe shops
    Posts
    1,458

    Default Re: History of game companies

    I do sometimes worry about why people would want to play a game like that.....I remember persona got a lot of criticism because it encouraged teen suicide. Idiots don't even play the games before causing spluttering with indignation. Bully had it's name changed because of tabloid pressure and sony censorship, yet if they'd played the game they would have seem it was anti bullying. Books burning lives. Though i do wish parents would not buy their little kids games like gta or mw


  17. #16
    Best served cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cliftonia
    Posts
    25,248

    Default Re: History of game companies

    Quote Originally Posted by TrickyTart View Post
    I do sometimes worry about why people would want to play a game like that...
    Its like anything though. Why do people want to watch a film about a person committing suicide, or being eaten by a shark, or having thier heart broken?

    People just want to experience those things without actually doing them,in the context of a interesting narrative.

    The controversial something is- the more people are interested

    Last edited by incapable hulk; 15-04-10 at 09:32.

  18. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In shoe shops
    Posts
    1,458

    Default Re: History of game companies

    The more people want are interested? Are you drunk or am i?


  19. #18
    Best served cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cliftonia
    Posts
    25,248

    Default Re: History of game companies

    Aha! I got caught trying to type 2 things at once. its fixed now


  20. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In shoe shops
    Posts
    1,458

    Default Re: History of game companies

    That is still remarkably poor english! I think there is a difference between trying to understand suicide and killing people for fun. Because games are about fun, movies have more dimensions. Oh and i do worry about people who watch films like saw or hostel and get all excited but there is a huge difference between watching and doing. Movies you watch, games you do. So it's you making the choice to kill and torture.


  21. #20
    Best served cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cliftonia
    Posts
    25,248

    Default Re: History of game companies

    Quote Originally Posted by TrickyTart View Post
    That is still remarkably poor english! I think there is a difference between trying to understand suicide and killing people for fun. Because games are about fun, movies have more dimensions. Oh and i do worry about people who watch films like saw or hostel and get all excited but there is a huge difference between watching and doing. Movies you watch, games you do. So it's you making the choice to kill and torture.
    Okay, grammer nazi

    Thats not really the case though is it? Most games the choice is made for you. Theres not much freedom, you have to actively kill person x or you cant progress in the game. The only choice you really have is whether to play the game or not, in a similar way to you make the choice watch a film.

    Its exactly the same as films, as breaking it down to "movies you watch, games you do" is ridiculously oversimplifying things.

    Your making the same choice to watch a film about murder or torture as you are about playng a game. Both happen in fictional environments.
    If anything films are worse, for the fact that they are actually based in realism whereas most games are based in fictional worlds and with computer graphics that dont resemble the real world (yet)

    In a game you press a button on a control pad to see a scripted animation occur in a computer generated world. In a film you press the play button to see someone tortured and murdered in a hostel, or ripped to shreds by vampires.

    Its really not that different.


  22. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In shoe shops
    Posts
    1,458

    Default Re: History of game companies

    I will write a proper reply sometime, but in essence you are wrong. All the psychological studies so far show you are. That games are the most powerful medium in influencing behaviour. You are actively making that decision in games. It is your character doing it because of your instruction. It annoys me that the games industry just adopts this we are so persecuted mentality. I love games but to pretend they are without effect or responsibility is part of the reason they aren't taken seriously and are viewed with mistrust


  23. #22
    Best served cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cliftonia
    Posts
    25,248

    Default Re: History of game companies

    Quote Originally Posted by TrickyTart View Post
    I will write a proper reply sometime, but in essence you are wrong. All the psychological studies so far show you are. That games are the most powerful medium in influencing behaviour. You are actively making that decision in games. It is your character doing it because of your instruction. It annoys me that the games industry just adopts this we are so persecuted mentality. I love games but to pretend they are without effect or responsibility is part of the reason they aren't taken seriously and are viewed with mistrust
    Actually- they dont. You're generalising based on the tabloid media, and are extremely wrong.
    The majority of psychological studies basically say peoples behaviour and emotions are far more impacted by what they saw in tv and film than what they were from playing games.

    The conclusions are virtually always kids/adults find games relaxing whereas people are more influenced by and will find films and tv far more tense and emotional.
    People are more likely to try and recreate what they see being done by real people in tv and films, than they are by games

    Its like the uncanny valley effect. People are more disturbed the more real something looks.

    There is no "we are so persercuted mentaility", you've invented that. The industry just makes the point that games are no better or worse than films- which is the truth. The industry rarely brings it up, and its only mentioned in response to the tabloids making things up.

    But i know we'll get bogged down in having a long multi page spanning, epic argument about it- which will get heated and kill the thread. So i'll just agree to disagree with your view

    Last edited by incapable hulk; 15-04-10 at 14:24.

  24. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In shoe shops
    Posts
    1,458

    Default Re: History of game companies

    You might read tabloids but i don't.... Http://pss.sagepub.com/content/12/5/353.abstract link from you please or are you one of those who claim evidence without any $-D


  25. #24

    Default Re: History of game companies

    interesting.
    Gaming was much differnt back in 1994


  26. #25
    Best served cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cliftonia
    Posts
    25,248

    Default Re: History of game companies

    Quote Originally Posted by TrickyTart View Post
    You might read tabloids but i don't.... Http://pss.sagepub.com/content/12/5/353.abstract link from you please or are you one of those who claim evidence without any $-D
    Well I think that studys credibility is completely destroyed by the fact that they have "young boys" playing 18 rated violent videogames.
    Those games arent for them.
    Its like letting a 7 year old watch hostel and expecting them not to be affected by it.

    Plus it openly admits that it filtered the students it selected, based on behaviour and attitude problems and test scores...is that reliable? Im not sure.
    Reading it, it implies heavily that it picked students who already had these problems.

    That may not be the case, but thats the implication they make.

    The government commissioned byron report was a far better study, because it was conducted in real life situations and conditions, and also pulled together all other studies and conclusions.
    She came to the conclussion that problems only arose when kids were playing games that they shouldnt be. E.G- 13 year old kids playing 18 rated games.
    13 year olds shouldnt be playing GTA or manhunt, anymore than they should be watching films like hostel or saw- that is the bottom line.

    She also smartly, asserts that videogames dont possess the same level of realism as movies/tv's so dont have the same emotional impact.

    It annoys me that the games industry just adopts this we are so persecuted mentality. I love games but to pretend they are without effect or responsibility is part of the reason they aren't taken seriously and are viewed with mistrust
    Its that assertion that grinds my gears- as its completely made up. Your presenting an opinion as fact again.

    There is NO persecuted mentality. The games industry rarely comments on it, and most of the press comes from clowns like jack thompson and random parents wailing about gta killing thier kids.

    Most talk coming from the games companies is usually about how things have been sensationalised. Such as the high school killings in america where they claimed it was because the kid played doom and gta.

    Despite him having no console, or games or there being any evidence that hed ever played games.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •