Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: The Forest badge

Matchday Squad

Default The Forest badge

Someone on Football 365 claims that the club are looking to change the club badge. To quote:

"although I understand (in fact, I know for a fact) that Forest are looking to change theirs. "

I think our badge is superb and should in no way be modified. It links us back to our glory days and from a brand awareness / recognition point of view must surely be preserved. Would be marketing madness to change it.

Anyone heard anything on this? Could of course be rubbish, but the poster seemed pretty sure.

You have to be a member on 365 to view the thread, but I will save the link if anyone wants to view it.

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

#FindElaine

Default Re: The Forest badge

as you say its an instantly recognisable brand and would be madness to change it

Please donate to my #MPCC14 JustGiving page @ Justgiving.com/FindElaine

A. Trialist

That would be an awful move on their part!

Nigel Clough

Quote Originally Posted by ubique View Post
    as you say its an instantly recognisable brand and would be madness to change it
    Can't we call it a crest or something ... its not a brand, its a football club ... grumble mumble ... fucking Man U ...

#FindElaine

my bad

Miserable git, and proud.

It's a load of rubbish (the rumour, not the badge)

Ian Storey-Moore

did you hear/read this yesterday (April 1st) by any chance?

Ian Storey-Moore
    In the hearts and minds of the weak and wounded

Our badge will never change. It was one of the original "brand" badges. Most other clubs have changed their badge at least once to get something as recognisable and sellable as ours.

Banned

Sounds like complete bollocks to me. What are they going to do, have a "modern" tree to replace the current one?

complete bullshit ! we have the best club badge in world football .

Resident foodie!

The best badges are the ones you'd recognise instantly.

Ours and Wolves' are two that stand out.

Nigel Clough

The only thing they might change is taking the European Cup lettering off as it wont be A big anniversery next year, I would not want this!!

Viv Anderson

The only remotely permissable thing they might do is to change back to the previous badge which was one I really liked. Our badge does look as if it was designed in the 70's by a competition winner. It is however, the badge we wore in both European Cup victories , so it now has a truly historical place at the club.

Ian Storey-Moore

The only clubs that need to change badges are the ones with really intricate ones that would be very difficult to market in the premier league (for this see Burnley before this season). Ours is as simple as they come and so any change would be a waste of time and money.

Matchday Squad

I suppose if they plan to move us to a soul less bowl in Clifton then the river at the foot of the tree wont be relevant any more.

It was on the 1st, but at night in amongst a thread full of other crests / badges. It was a comment alongside the Forest badge.

Hope it is bullshit, but I could just see us "re-branding" just like the sellout sadpies have done....

Youth Team

the badge has stood the test of time and is modern looking even now, uncluttered and plain and simple,not an issue up for review really..........if memory serves correct didn't the nep run a competition for supporters to send their designs in?...........the guy/gal who designed it, what was the prize, can't remember myself,can anyone?.

Matchday Squad

I love our badge, and I hope we never change it.

Viv Anderson

We're pretty much in unaminous agreement (so far anyway!) that we don't want our badge changing. I reckon if they tried, they'd run into a shitstorm of protest and would bin the idea.
    As Anotoli suggests though, the only way they'd get close to succeeding would by reverting to the old badge - but what would be the point?

Wally Ardron

Quote Originally Posted by east stand terrace red View Post
    ..........if memory serves correct didn't the nep run a competition for supporters to send their designs in?...........the guy/gal who designed it, what was the prize, can't remember myself,can anyone?.
    My understanding is that the winner received something like £100. The origins of the badge, as I explain on my website (plug intentional) are as follows: -

Prior to the 1970's, the Club had used the Nottingham Coat of Arms as it's badge. However, by the early 70's the commercial aspects of the game were beginning to surface, and the Club couldn't obtain a copyright for an existing coat of arms, so Forest decided to organise a competition to design a new club emblem in the local paper. The winning entry was chosen from over 800 other entries. The tree symbolises the Forest, the truck symbolises strength, and the wavy lines below symbolise the flowing River Trent by its side.

Viv Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Roonaldo View Post
    My understanding is that the winner received something like £100. The origins of the badge, as I explain on my website (plug intentional) are as follows: -

Prior to the 1970's, the Club had used the Nottingham Coat of Arms as it's badge. However, by the early 70's the commercial aspects of the game were beginning to surface, and the Club couldn't obtain a copyright for an existing coat of arms, so Forest decided to organise a competition to design a new club emblem in the local paper. The winning entry was chosen from over 800 other entries. The tree symbolises the Forest, the truck symbolises strength, and the wavy lines below symbolise the flowing River Trent by its side.
    What truck?

Youth Team

trunk he means...trunk of the tree.........must be a feather in the cap for the person who designed it all them years ago...hope he was a trickie,wonder if he still goes down if he is....lets start a track down the badgeman campaign!!!!!!!

Viv Anderson

I thought maybe he did, but isn't the trunk part of the tree? Anyhoo...

When you think the London 2012 logo was designed by a professional brand consultancy firm and cost a reputed £400,000 and looks like shite, whoever designed the Forest badge is a genius and saved the club a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by Roonaldo View Post

I was told by a maths teacher a few years ago, that back in the 70's when he was young teacher just starting out, he heard about this competition, and decided to design a badge. His badge was very good, and when he entered it, was astounded and bemused to hear it had come second, only to what is now our iconic badge.

It was very fortunate he came second, as he was a Derby fan, and had written around his design 'Derby will forever rule supreme' in morse code!

Matchday Squad

Quote Originally Posted by east stand terrace red View Post
    trunk he means...trunk of the tree.........must be a feather in the cap for the person who designed it all them years ago...hope he was a trickie,wonder if he still goes down if he is....lets start a track down the badgeman campaign!!!!!!!

I seem to remember that it was actually a teenage girl who won the competition to design our new badge and although her design has had a few subtle changes over the years it still is an iconic design.