Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 71

Thread: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

      
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    17,612

    Default Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    One of the regular features on the forum, I have contributed with the odd moan as well , has been the ''Behaviour'' of our High Visual Coated, stewards. The complaints seem always to be the enthusiastic manner they enforce the rules re crowd behaviour in the ground.

    Yet viewing the scenes on the news this morning, of the West Ham v Millwall match. This will no doubt bring yet another raft of punitive measures against the clubs.

    So the question I ask is, as fans do we owe a vote of thanks to our stewards because I could never imagine the safety team at the City Ground, failing as they obviously did at Upton Park last night.

    Similar Threads:

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2
    Sexual Tyrannosaurus
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    41,844

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    if, as they did last night,a good number of both sets of fans were determined to cause trouble, it doesn't matter what the stewards are like, the sheer numbers of nob heads around would cause anyone trouble, and no matter how many rules and regs you bring in people who are determined, will succeed.
    i'm just thankfull that most, if not all, of our fans do not want to be involved in this type of behaviour. it is truly shocking.

    "Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Y block lower b
    Posts
    9,494

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    the city ground stewards as a whole do a good job. but theres is a handfull that would contribute to trouble in my view if it was about to boil over due to there heavy handed aproach.

    I am just hoping they dont come down on A block like a ton of bricks at the derby game and spoil the atmosphere


  5. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    17,612

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    Forest fans reacted in exactly the same manner in a pre-season game at Notts County.......pitch invasion, fighting on the pitch and in the streets around the ground. If the opportunity for mayhem is there, it will be taken.

    Forest fans in the past could and would mix it with anyone. What has changed at the City Ground.....the internal security features and some very strict stewarding policies.

    Two sets of fans this Saturday, who are as bigger rivals as any other clubs in the country meet. Riots at the CG, it would be astonishing


  6. #5
    Rice # 42
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    The Hucknall
    Posts
    6,157

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    Less astonishing at the Broadmarsh bus station though


  7. #6
    Sexual Tyrannosaurus
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    41,844

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sedgred
    Forest fans reacted in exactly the same manner in a pre-season game at Notts County.......pitch invasion, fighting on the pitch and in the streets around the ground. If the opportunity for mayhem is there, it will be taken.

    Forest fans in the past could and would mix it with anyone. What has changed at the City Ground.....the internal security features and some very strict stewarding policies.

    Two sets of fans this Saturday, who are as bigger rivals as any other clubs in the country meet. Riots at the CG, it would be astonishing
    i think a lot has to be said for our stewards, theres never much trouble at the city ground, and this does coincide with the more rigid policies, but i think football supporters have become more aware that these actions have very negative effects on the club and themselves, i wouldn't fight (obviously unless provoked) because if i was banned i'd lose my £400 i spent on my ST, to me, a bit of a scrap isn't worth it,
    people went, on both sides, to cause trouble last night, not for the football, if we had that many people intent on violence at the CG it would kick off, good stewards or not, however they may be able to stop things getting out of hand when a few start, and they do seem to


  8. #7

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    One of the West Ham stewards was on the radio last night. The main points he made were:

    - There were not enough West Ham stewards hired that night.
    - The Millwall stewards who were brought in did very little.
    - There were not enough police in the ground to control things. Once things kick off in large numbers the stewards had no chance of calming things down.
    - The Millwall fans should have been limited to season ticket holders only, because he reckoned that a lot of the away fans were just troublemakers and not even real Millwall fans. Obviously there were hooligans in the West Ham stands but filtering all them out is a much harder task.

    Basically, his point was that the actual stewards at West Ham are very competent. However, when the club doesnt bother to hire enough staff, and the police are similarly short of numbers, things were bound to get out of hand.



  9. #8
    AKA Randy Bumgardener
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    8,397

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    I find it very difficult to critisize the stewards when they threw themselves between the 2 sets of fans who have arguably one of the biggest rivalries in football. They held their ground and I have no doubt that if they hadn't done their job as they did, there would be a lot more lives lost. History has taught us that if people want to riot, they will. It doesnt matter how many security there is !

    'The cross came in from Majewski, and Blackstock slid in, Gabriel Tamas attached to him in the manner in which a baby chimpanzee clings to its mother' Dexter Blackstock vs West Brom


  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New ollerton and trust me, it's no better than the old one
    Posts
    873

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    I think for many years the stewarding methods at the CG have been the model for many clubs worldwide, I seem to remember club officials from home and abroad used to come regularly to watch and copy our methods.

    I personally think they do a fantastic job and appreciate everyone of them for it, I donít subscribe to the mentality of some people who slate them for helping to keep the football safe for everyone to enjoy.


    COYR

    Originally Posted by Carnero https://bit.ly/2LVWO8R
    Don't know how anyone can look at that squad and say "Forest will definitely be up there" like I've read from some on here!

    10th at best.

  11. #10
    AKA Randy Bumgardener
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    8,397

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyRed
    I think for many years the stewarding methods at the CG have been the model for many clubs worldwide, I seem to remember club officials from home and abroad used to come regularly to watch and copy our methods.

    I personally think they do a fantastic job and appreciate everyone of them for it, I donít subscribe to the mentality of some people who slate them for helping to keep the football safe for everyone to enjoy.
    The security system as a whole has always been a source of pride. I remember reps from Juventus and Real Madrid came across to study the systems and procedures in place we are (were) so advanced in that respect !


  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,212

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    In a word no! Sat in A Block last night and they were a joke! Forever telling Forest fans to sit down yet nothing was mentioned to the Boro fans! What a bunch of lifers!


  13. #12
    Miserable bastard
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    , Location, Location.
    Posts
    20,370

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    Perhaps being in a unique position to assess this...I'd say that any group of stewards are ultimately judged by any obvious consequences, however, just because there have been no major incidents at the City Ground doesn't necessarily mean they're doing a great job.

    For me a good steward achieves a balance between preventing trouble and being the public face of the club to many supporters. The stewards at Forest, by and large are very good at preventing trouble, but far too often come across as hostile and unhelpful to supporters. So, for me the balance isn't right. A good steward can prevent trouble with a polite friendly word, only needeing to aggressively deal with potential trouble in certain cases. The Forest stewards far too often stand back and don't engage supporters before shooting straight to the aggressive end of the scale. This approach can result in lost group of supporters, certainly amongst families and first-time visitors, which is just as bad for the club as FA fines and bad reputations.


  14. #13
    ...the Liatrom Red
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    A Block 'til I die
    Posts
    2,098

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyRed
    I think for many years the stewarding methods at the CG have been the model for many clubs worldwide, I seem to remember club officials from home and abroad used to come regularly to watch and copy our methods.

    I personally think they do a fantastic job and appreciate everyone of them for it, I donít subscribe to the mentality of some people who slate them for helping to keep the football safe for everyone to enjoy.
    I gather from this either:

    a) You're a steward
    b) You're Alan Bexon
    c) You're breaking my balls
    d) You've never been subjected to some of the most overzealous, unfair, provocative, senseless stewarding administrated by some (I emphasis some) of the stewards in A-Block that have all but broken the spine of Forest's most passionate area of support.






  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    16,083

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    Although it's part of his job and something he gets paid for, it takes a brave man to stand between angry football fans and make every effort to prevent them from killing each other.

    In light of the disgraceful events last night at Upton Park, I fully expect a very strong and visual police and steward presence on Saturday. And, I for one, will be very happy to see it.

    'Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings' - Salvador Dali 1904-1989

    I think 'odd' is a good thing. Oddness shows originality, uniqueness and a desire to be different from the masses. Oddness is, maybe, only deemed 'odd' by the majority who are considered less odd but only by their own blinkered observations and understanding. Oddness should never be criticised but be encouraged to nurture, develop individualism and to explore the mind rather than conform to expectation and 'normality'. Many of the world's greatest works of art and prose were born from those minds many considered to be 'odd'.
    [/url]

  16. #15
    ...the Liatrom Red
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    A Block 'til I die
    Posts
    2,098

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    Quote Originally Posted by T.B.T.
    Although it's part of his job and something he gets paid for, it takes a brave man to stand between angry football fans and make every effort to prevent them from killing each other.

    In light of the disgraceful events last night at Upton Park, I fully expect a very strong and visual police and steward presence on Saturday. And, I for one, will be very happy to see it kick off
    at Broadmarsh Bus Station



  17. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    16,083

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    Cheeky!

    I absolutely despise any kind of football violence, yet if moronic fans (Millwall or West Ham or Derby or Forest) wish to knock 10 bells out of each other and orphan their kids then have the decency to do it away from the stadiums and away from innocent people.


  18. #17
    No wonder my post count..
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    11,845

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    They run like Forest Gump



    MOTHERFUCKINGDEXTERBLOODYBLACKSTOCKOHMYFUCKINGGODY ESGETINYOUMOTHERFUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FUCKINGHAVESOMEOFTHATYOUCUNTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  19. #18
    ...the Liatrom Red
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    A Block 'til I die
    Posts
    2,098

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    Quote Originally Posted by T.B.T.
    Cheeky!

    I absolutely despise any kind of football violence, yet if moronic fans (Millwall or West Ham or Derby or Forest) wish to knock 10 bells out of each other and orphan their kids then have the decency to do it away from the stadiums and away from innocent people around Broadmarsh Bus Station



  20. #19
    Rice IV
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    37,481

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_tree1982
    In a word no! Sat in A Block last night and they were a joke! Forever telling Forest fans to sit down yet nothing was mentioned to the Boro fans! What a bunch of lifers!
    It's very different in A Block when the COCKs are in there.

    Some of the 'witty retorts' to the stewards from the clear 15 year old Capital One Corner Kids were disgusting. It's no wonder they take such a hard line up there. I was close to lamping someone for persistant standing myself.

    When they have the age limit on there the stewards are, for the most part, ncie and talkative. They ask us to sit down, and theres a mutual respect for the most part.

    They know their job, they know it's a thankless and never ending task, but it starts to get on my nerves when COCKs start singing about standing up every few minutes. I can't stand to hear a 15 year old student telling a grown man to get a proper job.

    Believe you me, the stewards at the City Ground are a Hell of a lot more patient than I'd be.

    Along with some others on here I can usually be found at the back of A block. Never really any bother up there. If you treat people with a bit of respect, you will tend to find that you get treat with a little bit of respect.

    Talk to me, Goose.

  21. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    16,083

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    Was quite funny at the West Brom game. Stewards made their way up the A Block steps insisting politely that everyone be seated, which they did.

    Not two minutes later some guy started the inevitable 'Stand up, if you hate Derby' chant to which everyone inevitably responded. This instigator was promptly removed from the stands and spoken to.

    Needless to say, we didn't sit down for the remainder of the match.




  22. #21
    nakkernino del clusto
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,911

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    They are like parking wardens, they are never going to be liked even before they've even done anything, I can't imagine it pays well and they are always going to do it wrong in someones eyes so its a thankless job.


  23. #22
    ...the Liatrom Red
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    A Block 'til I die
    Posts
    2,098

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich.
    It's very different in A Block when the COCKs are in there.

    Some of the 'witty retorts' to the stewards from the clear 15 year old Capital One Corner Kids were disgusting. It's no wonder they take such a hard line up there. I was close to lamping someone for persistant standing myself.

    When they have the age limit on there the stewards are, for the most part, ncie and talkative. They ask us to sit down, and theres a mutual respect for the most part.

    They know their job, they know it's a thankless and never ending task, but it starts to get on my nerves when COCKs start singing about standing up every few minutes. I can't stand to hear a 15 year old student telling a grown man to get a proper job.

    Believe you me, the stewards at the City Ground are a Hell of a lot more patient than I'd be.

    Along with some others on here I can usually be found at the back of A block. Never really any bother up there. If you treat people with a bit of respect, you will tend to find that you get treat with a little bit of respect.
    Good point, but to be fair you aren't likely to have to worry about being told to sit down on the back row, nor constantly be harassed up stuck out the way up there are you?

    Lower down, you become a clear target for over-the-top stewarding, particularly on days where there aren't many populating the A-Block.

    Against Watford, a steward clearly having nothing to do as it was quiet and most people were too peed off to be standing up, warned me that I'd be removed if I swore again. I swore once (calling the referee a clueless ****) in an area for over 18's, and I'm being threatened to have my season ticket taken off me? To me that's absurd.

    Whilst I take your point about some of the dicks in their deserving what they get, some really decent fellas have been victimised for sod all by some (I emphasise some again) do-good stewards that clearly get a power kick out of their position.


  24. #23
    Rice IV
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    37,481

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    Can't disagree.

    However, you have to question whether this hard line approach would be taken if not for the amount of dicks ni there.

    It's a bit chicken and egg, which came first over zealous stewards or arsehole fans?

    It's the ones who insult the stewards and call them names during games that ruin it for everyone else. If you stand, and then sit when asked there's little problem.

    Last night the place was full of people trying it on, shouting abuse and generally representing the Jeremy Kyle generation really well. The guy next to me was a prime endorsement for abortion.

    It's a good point about the swearing. Totally understandable if it was the family area, but the age restriction on A block should facilitate a more grown up atmosphere. I also don't think anywhere in the rules does it mention swearing being punishable in there.




  25. #24
    They see me trollin'
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    6,335

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Á§Ůĝū_ŗŤđ
    Perhaps being in a unique position to assess this...I'd say that any group of stewards are ultimately judged by any obvious consequences, however, just because there have been no major incidents at the City Ground doesn't necessarily mean they're doing a great job.

    For me a good steward achieves a balance between preventing trouble and being the public face of the club to many supporters. The stewards at Forest, by and large are very good at preventing trouble, but far too often come across as hostile and unhelpful to supporters. So, for me the balance isn't right. A good steward can prevent trouble with a polite friendly word, only needeing to aggressively deal with potential trouble in certain cases. The Forest stewards far too often stand back and don't engage supporters before shooting straight to the aggressive end of the scale. This approach can result in lost group of supporters, certainly amongst families and first-time visitors, which is just as bad for the club as FA fines and bad reputations.
    Exactly.

    This all-seating malarky is bullshit anyway. Still can't believe we get told to sit down on the back row. Its complete bollocks.


  26. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    7,803

    Default Re: Forest Stewards...good at their job ?

    where i sit the steward is fantastic he is always polite and greats us with a warm smile. He does tell us to sit down but in a way which you can respect. I guess this is because i sit in upper trent where there are very few nobs but still if more stewards were like him noone would complain


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •