Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Dave Bassett

      
  1. #1

    Default Dave Bassett

    Will be doing a gentleman's evening at Rolls Royce Leisure club in Hucknall on July 24 if anyone's interested. John McGovern as compere for the evening. PM me for details.

    Similar Threads:

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,117

    Default Re: Dave Bassett

    cant make it.. shame really as i quite respect the guy. if the board hadn't decide to screw this club over and try to manage the team when he was in charge this whole 3rd division mess might never have happened (maybe even this whole championship thing wouldn't be happening!)




  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: Dave Bassett

    He had a plan... I wished others had the same one.


  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    532

    Default Re: Dave Bassett

    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho's Left Foot
    Will be doing a gentleman's evening at Rolls Royce Leisure club in Hucknall on July 24 if anyone's interested. John McGovern as compere for the evening. PM me for details.
    Also added on to that, Stan Collymore is planned for later on in the year.


  6. #5
    winnits
    Guest

    Default Re: Dave Bassett

    Stan's really good on the 'Evening with...' type format


  7. #6
    Rice IV
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    37,484

    Default Re: Dave Bassett

    He certainly is

    Talk to me, Goose.

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    13,743

    Default Re: Dave Bassett

    Not sure about his Leicester loving sidekick.


  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,390

    Default Re: Dave Bassett

    Apart from Kinnear, I regard him as our worst manager (Platt included).

    Id go along to give him a kick up the arse only. Certainly dont want to hear him speak, hes full of it.


  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    25,863

    Default Re: Dave Bassett

    After he left Forest, he was so ridiculously biased against us whenever he was doing punditry on one of our games. Especially if we were playing Sheff Utd. He would never give us ANY credit, tosser.


  11. #10
    Victor Meldrew
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    West Bridgford
    Posts
    14,808

    Default Re: Dave Bassett

    Didn't he get us promoted? I've just looked at a picture of him holding a trophy and it says it was the seventh time he'd got a team promoted to the Premiership.


  12. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    399

    Default Re: Dave Bassett

    Quote Originally Posted by B Block Red
    Apart from Kinnear, I regard him as our worst manager (Platt included).

    Id go along to give him a kick up the arse only.* Certainly dont want to hear him speak, hes full of it.
    I was too young to remember, but he did get us up. Was it him who got us down in 1997 why you don't like him?


  13. #12
    Rice # 42
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    The Hucknall
    Posts
    6,371

    Default Re: Dave Bassett

    Apart from spending too long talking about Wimbledon, he was entertaining. Interesting answer to my question about The departure of Kevin Campbell.

    Dermot Gallagher also spoke: did you know Pro refs are on 50K, plus a bonus for for each Premiership match?


  14. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    793

    Default Re: Dave Bassett

    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick
    Apart from spending too long talking about Wimbledon, he was entertaining. Interesting answer to my question about The departure of Kevin Campbell.

    Dermot Gallagher also spoke: did you know Pro refs are on 50K, plus a bonus for for each Premiership match?
    share it with us please. I thought they were on 30k so closeish


  15. #14
    Rice # 42
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    The Hucknall
    Posts
    6,371

    Default Re: Dave Bassett

    Basset said he agreed a contract with Campbell (and Scot Gemmill) and arranged that they would come in on the Monday to sign them. Basset then went on Holiday. On the Monday, Paul White (secretary at the time) said the contracts were not ready so to come back Tuesday. Same again on Tuesday, nobody to type them out. By this time agents had fixed up alternative deals so when Forest finally produced the contract to sign the bird had flown.

    That's the gist of it, you will remember how he waffles on!


  16. #15
    yam
    Guest

    Default Re: Dave Bassett

    The board that Bassett had were a bunch of tossers. As well as the fiasco with Campbell and Gemmill once PVH decided he wanted to go we should have cashed in, he'd just scored 34 goals and had an Ok world cup, we could probably have go £6M at the time with which we could have bought some decent players and perhaps stayed up.


  17. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,390

    Default Re: Dave Bassett

    Bassett completely dismantled a semi decent team that just needed a striker.

    Fell out with Pearce.

    Cooper all of a sudden got his "dream move" to Boro.

    His transfer record was abysmal. If you look at who he bought in for massive amounts of cash, you will see he wasted more money than Platt ever did.

    Yes, he got us promoted. However, this was on the back of Campbell and PVH being too good for the Championship. Rest of the side was garbage.

    As a result, we went down spectacularly and have never recovered.

    Look into who he bought - likes of Quashie for 2.5m, Freedman, Shipperley, Pascolo, Hjelde....list goes on. All crap. All expensive.

    Platt just carried on the rot. At least Platt was a rookie. Bassett should have known better.

    Awful manager. Cant stand the man.



  18. #17
    AKA Randy Bumgardener
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    8,397

    Default Re: Dave Bassett

    Hold on, the board dismantles that team. Bassett was helpless as his players were sold from under his nose and the transfer budget he was given was nothing short of laughable ! I think we have spent 4 times more this season than we did back then !

    'The cross came in from Majewski, and Blackstock slid in, Gabriel Tamas attached to him in the manner in which a baby chimpanzee clings to its mother' Dexter Blackstock vs West Brom


  19. #18
    Rice # 42
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    The Hucknall
    Posts
    6,371

    Default Re: Dave Bassett

    He said last night that he was told that he would have 8 million to spend, but ended up having to raise 2.5! Interestingly did not blame Scholar, but hinted the blame lay with Nigel Wray, as Scholar was Director of football not finance.


  20. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    793

    Default Re: Dave Bassett

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito
    The board that Bassett had were a bunch of tossers.* As well as the fiasco with Campbell and Gemmill once PVH decided he wanted to go we should have cashed in, he'd just scored 34 goals and had an Ok world cup, we could probably have go £6M at the time with which we could have bought some decent players and perhaps stayed up.
    he decided to go because of campbell going, so if the board hadnt been such a facking farce in the first place we might have had a chance, as it was we were relegated before a ball had even been kicked


  21. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,390

    Default Re: Dave Bassett

    Quote Originally Posted by Freiro Cornholio
    Hold on, the board dismantles that team. Bassett was helpless as his players were sold from under his nose and the transfer budget he was given was nothing short of laughable ! I think we have spent 4 times more this season than we did back then !
    The board sold Campbell - thats it.

    They backed him sufficiently with who he DID sign.

    Just look at how much he wasted on absolute shite. Tot up how much was spent on the players I mentioned above - and they are just off my head. Theres more if you look into it.


  22. #21
    winnits
    Guest

    Default Re: Dave Bassett

    He was unable to prevent Cooper leaving either, which was a blow, not to mention Pierre's little one-man protest..


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •