Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: RIAT

AKA Randy Bumgardener

Default RIAT

Royal International Air Tattoo i on BBC1 at 2:15 pm. If you like your fast jets and red arrows then it will be worth a watch !

'The cross came in from Majewski, and Blackstock slid in, Gabriel Tamas attached to him in the manner in which a baby chimpanzee clings to its mother' Dexter Blackstock vs West Brom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Samuel

Default Re: RIAT

FC you make so many threads .
    Maybe you should make your own thread and it could be stickied, or something.

AKA Randy Bumgardener

lol. Nought wrong with it if ain't the same old crap every time

RIAT's are usually a really good event, drop in the odd air to air collision and it's the complete show lol

Samuel

Haha, very true about the same old crap.

I work near Farnborough and the fucking Airshow has being going on all week, making the office shake.

Fucking planes.

Yes but they're so very useful to us.

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.

AKA Randy Bumgardener

they would be a lot better if your lot didnt stuff the toilets with bog roll every flight

When you're delayed six hours because the pilots broken a nail you have to try and set things straight...

Quote Originally Posted by Phooey
    Yes but they're so very useful to us.
    Fucking long walk to Afghanistan or Iraq though, especially carrying all that kit - or did you mean the hundreds of support flights in country - transport, close air support, recce, hot extractions, medevacs etc

When you're delayed six hours because the pilots broken a nail you have to try and set things straight...*
    Or maybe it's because there's something wrong with the aircraft and the alternative is falling out of the sky halfway home. 6 hours delay is a pain in the arse (as is a poxy extra 3 days layover due to weather / knackered aircraft) but it sure as hell beats driving / troopship

AKA Randy Bumgardener

Quote Originally Posted by Squibbit
    Fucking long walk to Afghanistan or Iraq though, especially carrying all that kit - or did you mean the hundreds of support flights in country - transport, close air support, recce, hot extractions, medevacs etc

Or maybe it's because there's something wrong with the aircraft and the alternative is falling out of the sky halfway home. 6 hours delay is a pain in the arse (as is a poxy extra 3 days layover due to weather / knackered aircraft) but it sure as hell beats driving / troopship

It's ok mate. You get used to it. Constant medevac's and getting aircraft ready within an hour's notice to get injured people back home within hours, yet people still complain when their flights are delayed by half an hour because of these events. You don't look for any thanks

But here ain't the place for such a debate !

f**king long walk to Afghanistan or Iraq though, especially carrying all that kit - or did you mean the hundreds of support flights in country - transport, close air support, recce, hot extractions, medevacs etc
    The flights to Iraq and Afghan are carried out by a civvy contractor, the only RAF involvement is loading the bags on (and they got that wrong on the way back).

In-theatre flights are RAF and have strict controls on use of electronics, light, wearing of body armour unless it's SF where they play the radio over the tannoy and you can do what you like.

A civvy airline will fly with 3 out of 4 engines working but the RAF won't go unless everything works hence me never getting a flight back from Cyprus on time.

Yes, the eqpt is old but rather than upgrade the troop/freight carrying capability the RAF have chosen to spend billions on Eurofighter. As the Americans will have destroyed any semblance of an enemy air force by the time we get there don't be surprised me to be a little pissed at spending six hours on strapped in to a canvas seat unable to move my legs.

Air shows are great but in the real world the RAF are letting the rest of us down.

Quote Originally Posted by Freiro Cornholio
    It's ok mate. You get used to it. Constant medevac's and getting aircraft ready within an hour's notice to get injured people back home within hours, yet people still complain when their flights are delayed by half an hour because of these events. You don't look for any thanks

But here ain't the place for such a debate !
    It's your job, why should you be thanked?

Plus, delays are endemic. It's not a coincidence that it took an MP going on tour with the TA to get a decent departures system in place.

AKA Randy Bumgardener

As I said, we're not here to be thanked !
    I love how everyone thinks they know everyone's job without realising what goes into it !
    Personally I wouldn't dare comment on your job despite any problems because I make myself aware of what other trades etc do. It seems that other's don't have such leeway and take things for face facts. I would of thought a man of your experience would have the same open-mindedness but obviously not. Decent departure system ? There is, and has been for ages. Sometimes sadly though, other flights have priorities, or if aircraft have to be retasked, I'm sure if you were in the same position as the reason they do have to be reassigned, then you would be grateful for the instant support and return home to your family !

Does your phone work? Then my lot are doing their job.

As for judging your service, well I use them and as a customer I think I'm entitled to comment on the service (or lack of) provided.

Delays I can handle on an irregular basis but that isn't the case and when delays do happen the passage of information is shocking. On our flight out we were delayed six hours because one of the flight crew had cut his finger clearing the rubbish away. As a civvy he has different work rules, fair enough, but the accident had happened the night before. We had rung departures after this (and again before we left) and were informed that the flight was on time. The information came out when an SAC (the lowest ranking person there) came over and briefed us.

I could go on because I've caught roughly 3 flights on time in the last 16 years but rather than give examples I'll leave you to retort to the points made previously; namely that the RAF aren't supporting their customers but are infatuated with fast jets...

AKA Randy Bumgardener

Does your phone work?* Then my lot are doing their job.

As for judging your service, well I use them and as a customer I think I'm entitled to comment on the service (or lack of) provided.*

Delays I can handle on an irregular basis but that isn't the case and when delays do happen the passage of information is shocking.* On our flight out we were delayed six hours because one of the flight crew had cut his finger clearing the rubbish away.* As a civvy he has different work rules, fair enough, but the accident had happened the night before.* We had rung departures after this (and again before we left) and were informed that the flight was on time.* The information came out when an SAC (the lowest ranking person there) came over and briefed us.

I could go on because I've caught roughly 3 flights on time in the last 16 years but rather than give examples I'll leave you to retort to the points made previously; namely that the RAF aren't supporting their customers but are infatuated with fast jets...
    Mate, I can sit and point out reasons for every single point, but as I'm sure you will agree, this ain't the place for it. The point about a civvy cutting his finger on a military flight is impossible, unless it was a civillian chartered airline. Because you can't make your destination on he hour of time of arrival, is allways for a reason, and as someone deep in the transport network, I know what I'm talking about, trust me. You seem to be ignoring my previous points about airlifting injured personnel, hence delays and 'inconvenience' to yourselves, and if you were to do a shift over there, maybe you might come across to the idea that things do go on behind the scenes, and how men can really work miracles under the most stressful situations possible. You seem to class the SAC the same as a private. I'd love you to see how we work I really would.

Yes, it was a civilian flight -as I've already said all of the flights out to theatre are civvy charters. Clearly any delays to those flights are not the fault of the RAF but their lack of communication makes a difficult situation worse.

Throwing in 'injured personnel' is a very low blow and beside the point, firstly I can't see them being shipped back on a charter and secondly we aren't shipping people back on a daily basis. The Herc's aren't up to the job but the RAF would rather spend money on fighters instead.

Oh, and don't make me laugh about SACs being further up the ladder than privates. Your terms of service mean that you don't get shouted at/run around too much but your promotion is slower -our privates are out there killing people so I can't see how they could have more responsibility.

the troop/freight carrying capability the RAF have chosen to spend billions on Eurofighter.* As the Americans will have destroyed any semblance of an enemy air force by the time we get there don't be surprised me to be a little pissed at spending six hours on strapped in to a canvas seat unable to move my legs.

Air shows are great but in the real world the RAF are letting the rest of us down.
    Dead on. Agreement to start development of the Eurofighter was in 1988. In 1998 it had it's first showing at the Farnborough air show.

2008 & to my knowledge it still hasn't been deployed on ops. Not the RAF's fault though as their hands are tied, as are those of the army & navy.

The army also isn't immune to wanting expensive, shiny flying machines - take the WAH-64 Apache. Intended as a replacement for the Lynx in an anti-tank role. Trouble being that it is useless for anything else than attack & reconnaissance, whereas the Lynx could also be used to ferry troops. Given the relatively small army (compared to the US & our two theoretical main enemies, Russia & China), money would have been better spent on another multi-role helicopter rather than something that looks good on recruitment posters.

I love the Red Arrows.*

'Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings' - Salvador Dali 1904-1989

I think 'odd' is a good thing. Oddness shows originality, uniqueness and a desire to be different from the masses. Oddness is, maybe, only deemed 'odd' by the majority who are considered less odd but only by their own blinkered observations and understanding. Oddness should never be criticised but be encouraged to nurture, develop individualism and to explore the mind rather than conform to expectation and 'normality'. Many of the world's greatest works of art and prose were born from those minds many considered to be 'odd'.
    [/url]

I'm so disappointed, I was hoping for a dyslexic riot!

I put the sexy in dyslexic