Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: SETANTA - how does it affect NFFC

Default SETANTA - how does it affect NFFC

How badly will the collapse of Setanta affect us? Obviously ND was heavily involved in Setanta and rumour has it that he has lost a fortune on the venture.

Will this detract fom the funds BD has this close season? I hope not but I fear the worst.

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I belong to nobody!!!

Default Re: SETANTA - how does it affect NFFC

ND isn't heavily involved with them at all.

He's just a share holder.

Large Member

It will probably mean a gross gain of at least £18 quid a month for Forest that I will now fritter away on matchdays that I didnt have until Setanta went under!

wernt city ground games on TV generally shown on Sky?
    this points to a link with the souless killing machine that is sky...

There were some forest games shown on Sultana and ND had no personal wealth invested in it that effects NFFC, We are talking a few mil but it was an investment by the company Doughty Hanson and they are worth billions.

winnits

Yeah, he was an investor. He (his company) will have lost some cash, but as a venture capitalist he would've budgeted for that possibility. It shouldn't affect Forest a jot.

The Derby game away in the FA Cup was on Sentanta.

pure pocket change for that company

Rice IV

£30m investement.

It was a hedge fund, and nothing to do with his, or his companies, values. It was a pile of money that belonged to other people.

Doughty Hanson and Co have in the region of £6 BILLION pounds of assets. A £30m investment going tits up isn't going to harm them, and even if it did, it's nothing at all to do with Forest.

To be fair, this is about the 5th thread on this, and it has been explained pretty thoroughly why Setanta, DH&C, and Nottingham Forest are all independant of one another, and have no bearing on each others financial state.

Talk to me, Goose.

Doughty & Hanson handle investments to the tune of £26 Billion....

None of this is Doughty's own money.

The Equity portfolio had a 22% shareholding in Setanta acquired through his other TV interests in Ireland..

The value of the shareholding was already written off...

Awful bit of PR ,especially with Setanta being such a brand name, but in the grand scheme of things - It was only one of many investments Doughty & Hanson have, and he has built a good name on getting more investments right than wrong.....

New ollerton and trust me, it's no better than the old one

Quote Originally Posted by Rich.
    £30m investement.

It was a hedge fund, and nothing to do with his, or his companies, values. It was a pile of money that belonged to other people.

Doughty Hanson and Co have in the region of £6 BILLION pounds of assets. A £30m investment going tits up isn't going to harm them, and even if it did, it's nothing at all to do with Forest.

To be fair, this is about the 5th thread on this, and it has been explained pretty thoroughly why Setanta, DH&C, and Nottingham Forest are all independant of one another, and have no bearing on each others financial state.
    So another ten to go then or just enough to convince themselves that Forest will go in to administration because of it

COYR

Originally Posted by Carnero https://bit.ly/2LVWO8R
    Don't know how anyone can look at that squad and say "Forest will definitely be up there" like I've read from some on here!

10th at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich.
    £30m investement.

To be fair I haven't read the other 4 because, you may have noticed, I have not been frequenting this forum a great deal over the last few weeks. This has been due mainly to the pomposity exhibited by some and the peurile contributions of others.

Rice IV

There is a search button, though.

With the greatest of respect to Zigga-zagga, who is a top poster, I vote that the next Setanta thread, we just lie and say that the club is going to be sold to the highest bidder (currently MowerWorld looking for expansion) to cover their debts.

Quote Originally Posted by zigga-zagga
    To be fair I haven't read the other 4 because, you may have noticed, I have not been frequenting this forum a great deal over the last few weeks. This has been due mainly to the pomposity exhibited by some and the peurile contributions of others.
    I aim for puerile pomposity with every post.

For instance: it is my assertion that the financial implosion of broadcasting network Setanta will be of little consequence to the machinations of Nottingham Forest Football Club. The wealth exhibited by Doughty-Hanson, via their vast array of investment projects, should be enough to ameliorate any anxious members of the fan base, concerned that recent events could inhibit the club's ambition.

Anyone sugesting otherwise is talking a right load of fanny-flap f*cking t*tty b*llocks.

oopsy daisy!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstock And Two Smoking Barrels
    I aim for puerile pomposity with every post.

For instance: it is my assertion that the financial implosion of broadcasting network Setanta will be of little consequence to the machinations of Nottingham Forest Football Club. The wealth exhibited by Doughty-Hanson, via their vast array of investment projects, should be enough to ameliorate any anxious members of the fan base, concerned that recent events could inhibit the club's ambition.

Anyone sugesting otherwise is talking a right load of fanny-flap f*cking t*tty b*llocks.
    'Nuff said really.

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

Right.

I vote someone (A) deletes all the old Setanta threads, and (B) starts a new one up...

By the way, does anyone know if Doughty owns Setanta?

By "relegation battle", do you mean 7th, 12th or 14th?

Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

Quote Originally Posted by 'Sir' Flagman.
    Right.

I vote someone (A) deletes all the old Setanta threads, and (B) starts a new one up...

By the way, does anyone know if Doughty owns Setanta?
    Hi Flagman,

No, he's at best had a few shares at some point but its not his empire. Now, Santander might be the confusing issue here. Also rumoured as a new sponsor. But I think EON have bagged it.

Richard Wachman
    The Observer, Sunday 28 June 2009

Doughty Hanson lost €100m (£85m) when Irish sports broadcaster Setanta collapsed last week in a rare setback for the private equity group that was once owned by Standard Chartered bank.

The group, run by Nigel Doughty and Richard Hanson, has been a major investor in companies spanning technology, media and real estate and, until now, has avoided being linked to a high-profile failure such as Setanta.

On its website, Doughty Hanson describes itself as one of "Europe's most successful private equity firms". Founded in 1985, it has made more than 118 investments with an aggregate acquisition value in excess of €28bn.

Setanta's UK operations were put into administration after a week of talks failed to drum up the funding needed to keep the company afloat.

Deloitte, the accountancy firm handling the insolvency, has indicated that shareholders will be wiped out, but there could be a return for lenders that include hedge funds such as Avenue Capital and Montrica Investment Management.

Other shareholders who have lost money are founders Michael O'Rourke and Leonard Ryan and another private equity firm, Balderton. Together, they have lost an estimated €250m.

A spokesman for Doughty Hanson said its exposure to Setanta was relatively small and should be set within the context of larger and more successful investments made elsewhere.

Its website says that "investors recognise Doughty Hanson's successful track record in achieving superior returns across a spectrum of different asset classes - just as the owners and managers of the companies we acquire appreciate our strategies for enhancing the value of their businesses."

Doughty, 51, is also chairman of Nottingham Forest, the Championship club, but, like other wealthy individuals, he has lost tens of millions during the credit crunch.

He is still in the black, however: his stake in Doughty Hanson is estimated at £125m

Off topic slightly, but does anyone know of any other channel in the UK that shows AFL now Setanta is gone?

Tar...

Quote Originally Posted by Winnits
    Yeah, he was an investor. He (his company) will have lost some cash, but as a venture capitalist he would've budgeted for that possibility. It shouldn't affect Forest a jot.
    I think they got out ages back... If they ever did commit to going in.

Setanta director steps down over conflict of interest concerns

Irish businessman Barry Maloney has stepped down from his position on the board of troubled pay-per-view TV broadcaster Setanta over concerns of a conflict of interest.

Maloney is a founder and lead partner of Balderton Capital, one of Setanta’s main backers, which owns more than 20pc of the Irish broadcaster.

However, as the Irish Times has reported, Balderton Capital also has an interest in Top Up TV, which is owned by US industrialist Len Blavatnik, whose offer to buy a 51pc stake in Setanta for £20m sterling through his company Access Industries has been provisionally accepted by Setanta's board. The offer is now subject to due diligence.

Maloney told the paper that he had decided stepping down was the right thing to do, both for himself and for Setanta.

It is thought that should the Access deal be approved, the company will appoint David Chance, the founder of Top Up TV, to represent it on the Setanta board.

Setanta was yesterday given until this Friday to fulfil its outstanding payment obligations to the English Premier League, otherwise the league has said it will sell the 46 live matches currently licensed to the Irish broadcaster for the 2009/2010 season.

As reported in theGuardian, Setanta is said to have agreed to pay £10m sterling to the Premier League, as a result of a potential refinancing of the company by Blavatnik's Access Industries. However, the company still owes £30m sterling to the league.

As the start of the 2009-10 Premier League season is only two months away, the league has agreed with Setanta to put its rights to the 46 games up for tender, with a bid deadline set for Monday, 22 June,

However, if Setanta meets its payment conditions by this Friday, any bids submitted by other companies will be cancelled, the Premier League said in a statement yesterday.

Ah well. You knew they had problems when it went from £12.99, to £9.99 and then all a fiver! There wasn't enough money put into it initially for people to have lost a massive amount. I think Virgin Group put a bit in.