Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well done Doughty & Billy

Default Well done Doughty & Billy

And Dexter Blackstock.

What a capture he has turned out to be, and the work that both Billy and Nigel put in together to seal his loan signing may well be the reason we stay up this season. Whatever we paid for that loan fee is well worth it.

Goal against Bristol City in the last minute. +2 points.
    Held up the ball and laid it off perfectly for a great assist vs Coventry. +2 points.

Without this lad we'd be in the relegation zone still, a point behind Norwich.

Similar Threads:
    .k I m
    I m u mm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Rice 21

Default Re: Well done Doughty & Billy

we've actually gained 8 points since his arrival, as someone has mentioned elsewhere. that's not to say we might not have anyway, but there is a definite link between our form and blackstock playing in the garibaldi.

i seriously hope we make this permanant in the summer. dex and earnie could be devastating together next season, which will hopefully be in the championship!!

oopsy daisy!

Not just Nigel Doughty and Billy Davies.

There is someone else at the club who plays a major part in getting new players to sign and I think Louise Kiddier should also take a bow.

nakkernino del clusto

Well done David Pleat

Quote Originally Posted by Erik
    Not just Nigel Doughty and Billy Davies.

There is someone else at the club who plays a major part in getting new players to sign and I think Louise Kiddier should also take a bow.
    Without the excellent conference & banqueting facilities that she provides I fear relegation would have been inevitable

Miserable bastard

...and a big thanks to Flavio Briatore and the QPR board for agreeing to let their leading goalscorer to go on loan, without telling their (now former) manager too!

nakkernino del clusto

Quote Originally Posted by Rhods
    Without the excellent conference & banqueting facilities that she provides I fear relegation would have been inevitable
    I hope Louise isn't responsible for the coffee stocks at the atadium bars, they always run out of black coffee,

I think it's a bit too early to be congratulating anybody on their success.

However, I do thank Nigel for making every effort to ensure we stay up. And I think Billy has done alright in the transfer market and tactically in the last 3 games.

There can be very few questions about whether Nigel is willing to get his wallet out now. When we look back on this season, regardless of its outcome, I think the one major mistake we will reflect on was Calderwood's naivity in thinking our back 5 were sufficient to cope in the Championship. This needs to be put right next season and I think Gunther would be a good first signing in the Summer if we're still in this goddam division.

Quote Originally Posted by kreemie
    I think it's a bit too early to be congratulating anybody on their success.

However, I do thank Nigel for making every effort to ensure we stay up. And I think Billy has done alright in the transfer market and tactically in the last 3 games.

There can be very few questions about whether Nigel is willing to get his wallet out now. When we look back on this season, regardless of its outcome, I think the one major mistake we will reflect on was Calderwood's naivity in thinking our back 5 were sufficient to cope in the Championship. This needs to be put right next season and I think Gunther would be a good first signing in the Summer if we're still in this goddam division.
    I agree and I think maybe Calderwood should have been more assertive with the board if he was aware of our defensive problems. The main problem was him being a yes man to them throughout I think.

Long Serving Member

We had a player of this mould this time last season in Agogo. I was saying all season we should never have sold him.

Now we've finally replaced him all is forgiven.

we did the right thing in selling him..he turned into a liability, the mistake was never replacing him with a suitable hold up player.. Andy who??!

And i don't think we'd have dropped so many points had CC not tinkered with the defence... 44 games before Chambers and Perch finally played in positions better suited to them!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno
    We had a player of this mould this time last season in Agogo. I was saying all season we should never have sold him.

Now we've finally replaced him all is forgiven.
    I don't agree with that. Agogo wasn't all that good. League One standard, and to boot he was a 'shop windower'. The mistake was not replacing him. If he'd have been humble enough to fight for his place and do his best for Forest then perhaps it would have been a good idea to hang on to him, at least until we got another 'big strong' centre forward. As it was though, with the African sides sniffing round, he'd got far too big for his boots and no way should we have bent over backwards to keep a player who was in truth very average.

Quote Originally Posted by weasel
    I don't agree with that. Agogo wasn't all that good. League One standard, and to boot he was a 'shop windower'. The mistake was not replacing him. If he'd have been humble enough to fight for his place and do his best for Forest then perhaps it would have been a good idea to hang on to him, at least until we got another 'big strong' centre forward. As it was though, with the African sides sniffing round, he'd got far too big for his boots and no way should we have bent over backwards to keep a player who was in truth very average.
    I agree we have seen more effort from dexter this season than we did in agogos forest career.

Long Serving Member

Quote Originally Posted by weasel
    Probably slightly misunderstood what I meant or I didn't seem clear enough.

If we were gonna sell him, which we obviously did then we needed a replacement. We've got one now.

Basically I think, had we had Agogo then we wouldn't be where we are. He and Earnshaw would have worked well

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno
    Probably slightly misunderstood what I meant or I didn't seem clear enough.

If we were gonna sell him, which we obviously did then we needed a replacement. We've got one now.

Basically I think, had we had Agogo then we wouldn't be where we are. He and Earnshaw would have worked well
    Yeh, I think we're singing off the same Hymn sheet here really.

What with the teams coming in for him though I think it was a case of let him go, or give him a massive deal here or something so I don't think him staying was ever in the equation really. Unless we wanted a sulking PVH type player on our hands, which is never good.

And to be fair we kinda did replace him. People forget Andy Cole, who's job must surely have been to hold it up and buy time etc, cos he clearly wasn't gonna run all over the park. Ok so it never worked for Cole, but on paper it wasn't that bad.

Anyway, sod debating the pros and cons of Calderwood's decisions, (yes Calderwood's people, not the chairman) those days are gone and we've now got a better manager, better players and a lot more points

AKA Randy Bumgardener

Fully agree with this thread. Lets hope the acquisition roll in in the summer. No doubt Billy already has his targets.

Dont you feel like Forest are just harder to beat too ? Granted I have only listened to the games, but I not longer feel like we are going to concede any minute ! I have a lot more faith in the credentials of these players. Especially when he can move half the team around and still get a win against a difficult side !

'The cross came in from Majewski, and Blackstock slid in, Gabriel Tamas attached to him in the manner in which a baby chimpanzee clings to its mother' Dexter Blackstock vs West Brom

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bumgardener - A True American Hero
    Fully agree with this thread. Lets hope the acquisition roll in in the summer. No doubt Billy already has his targets.

Dont you feel like Forest are just harder to beat too ? Granted I have only listened to the games, but I not longer feel like we are going to concede any minute ! I have a lot more faith in the credentials of these players. Especially when he can move half the team around and still get a win against a difficult side !

Yeah since the Burnley debacle we have come on leaps and bounds.

Whilst I dont want to jump the gun, I was going to see how those who doubted Billy's appointment felt?

Personally I think he is a great manager and with 25 points from 54 I think he's done pretty well coming in halfway through a tough season.

The frurore surrounding Derby and Clough seems to have completely died down now, and I think we will be much better than Derby next season, IF we stay up, and I hate tempting fate, but if we dont survive now 3 points clear with 2 games to go, it will be a massive failure.

But I cant wait to see us run out under BD with a full pre-season behind him. I was jealous when he went to Derby and so glad we have him now, because under CC we would have rolled over in so many games we sneaked something from.

And well done Mark Arthur.

AKA Randy Bumgardener

Quote Originally Posted by wolfdog
    Whilst I dont want to jump the gun, I was going to see how those who doubted Billy's appointment felt?

Personally I think he is a great manager and with 25 points from 54 I think he's done pretty well coming in halfway through a tough season.

The frurore surrounding Derby and Clough seems to have completely died down now, and I think we will be much better than Derby next season, IF we stay up, and I hate tempting fate, but if we dont survive now 3 points clear with 2 games to go, it will be a massive failure.

But I cant wait to see us run out under BD with a full pre-season behind him. I was jealous when he went to Derby and so glad we have him now, because under CC we would have rolled over in so many games we sneaked something from.
    I think the new word is resiliance (sp)

totally agree. The lads sound hungry.

winnits

I imagine (like we all should be) they are feeling nervous about the remainder of the season.

Not targeting your specifically, but I really dislike the "So, where are the xxx haters/lovers now?" the minute the outcome of whatever appointment or decision is known.

It's really really easy to be smug with hindsight.

I was initially very unimpressed we went for Davies, the minute he was confirmed, I backed him - and he's mostly impressed me, so I too feel optimistic about a future with him given more time to shape things as he likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Winnits
    I imagine (like we all should be) they are feeling nervous about the remainder of the season.

Not targeting your specifically, but I really dislike the "So, where are the xxx haters/lovers now?" the minute the outcome of whatever appointment or decision is known.

It's really really easy to be smug with hindsight.

I was initially very unimpressed we went for Davies, the minute he was confirmed, I backed him - and he's mostly impressed me, so I too feel optimistic about a future with him given more time to shape things as he likes.

It wasnt one of those comments. While I thought it was a good appointment, I just wondered how people felt now. Its not a case of, "look at me I knew I was right." After the initial split between Forest fans over the appointment, Im curious more than anything to know if the camp who didnt welcome it have warmed to him. It certainly seems so. But if we're going to have a thread on praising Billy, why not discuss the change in opinions on him.

I'm just looking forward to next season, and cant wait to get this one finished...

He is the perfect signing. Davies said from the start we needed a target man and it looks like we got him just in time.

I think that had we got a target man in january (along with a few others of course) we may well be safe by now.

We never replaced Agogo who was that sort of player who can hold up the ball and lead the line until blackstock arrived , abeit so many months late.

It wasnt one of those comments. While I thought it was a good appointment, I just wondered how people felt now. Its not a case of, "look at me I knew I was right." After the initial split between Forest fans over the appointment, Im curious more than anything to know if the camp who didnt welcome it have warmed to him. It certainly seems so. But if we're going to have a thread on praising Billy, why not discuss the change in opinions on him.

I'm just looking forward to next season, and cant wait to get this one finished...
    i wasn't happy when davies was appointed as i thought it was a huge mistake but i'll hold my hands up and admit i was wrong and i've been impressed with him so far , in fact if we did end up going down i'd back him to bring us straight back (but let's hope it doesn't come to that ).