Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ipswichfan's Pre match Preview

Default Ipswichfan's Pre match Preview

Thanks to your very own "Rich" I managed to put together a pretty beefy preview.
    I'll post it here as you have to be a member to view it on our site.
    I'll post it unedited, as appears on our site, so you may not get some of the jokes

[img width=180 height=180]http://www.soccer.co.uk/images/teams/Nottm_Forest.jpg[/img]
    Coming into the week of two home games, many Town fans and staff alike would have targeting 6 points from two very average teams. Having drawn to a very gutsy Blackpool, a win is essential if Jim and players want to prove they still have the belief to make the play-offs. It has been all talk with nothing to show for it. Jim and the players may well believe they are good enough to be top 6, they may believe they have been putting in good performances, they may believe they have been unlucky at times but at the end of the day it is points which matter and for all the talk of “Operation Premiership” we have had nothing to show for it when considering our position in the table. The fans are sick of hearing excuse after excuse and want the pre-match expectation that Jim and the players talk about to match the actual outcome of the match for once. If they say they need to win the game then win it for God’s sake!

Newly-promoted Forest have done well to fight their way out of the relegation zone which they spent the majority of the first half of the season in. They haven’t won in 3 games and haven’t kept a clean sheet in any of their last four. Looking at these stats, surely Ipswich have to get a home win in this encounter??! Manager, Billy Davies, last took his side to Birmingham on Saturday where they were beaten convincingly 2-0. Unlike Ipswich, Nottingham Forest seem to get the job done against the weaker teams in the league but suffer against top half outfits. Wins over Norwich, Charlton, Plymouth and Sheffield Wednesday were followed by losses to Cardiff in the league and Derby in an FA Cup replay. Forest find themselves 4 points above the relegation zone but only one point off local rivals, Derby. Derby face Blackpool on Wednesday night in the only other Championship fixture but Forest will be looking for a win to take them above Derby in preparation for the crunch encounter this weekend as the two sides meet for their 4th derby of the season I believe!

I usually like to choose a striker as the “player to watch” but nothing would displeasure me more than banging on about how successful Robert “E.T” Earnshaw has been this season. I mean, he’s only scored 6 league goals! Anyway, he is still nursing a hamstring injury so is set to miss out. For this reason, I consider Lewis McGugan to be the one to watch. The youngster made his debut for Forest in 2006 and has scored 10 goals in 56 appearances since. The central midfielder has a touch of Owen Garvan about him. Former Forest boss, Colin Calderwood had this to say, “He’s a young player with a wonderful future ahead of him. He’s building a reputation for himself because he is so young but he will also make his reputation on his performances. He’s got heart, energy, legs and a more than decent ability”.
    A little tip for the gamblers out there, my research tells me that Perch picked up his 9th yellow card for Forest on Saturday, so if it is possible to bet on cards then he’s your man!

[img width=440 height=345]http://www.bbc.co.uk/somerset/content/images/2007/05/18/05_440x345.jpg[/img]
    McGugan is being sighted as Premiership quality in the making

Team news now, and Forest have no fresh casualties since Saturday. As mentioned above, Earnshaw looks set to miss out with hamstring problems while Bennett, Anderson, Moussi and Davies are still out.

Town have the thankful return of Quinn and Norris from suspension to bolster their ranks. Campo and Volz will miss out once again while it is still unsure as to whether Walters or Lisbie will make an appearance have suffered from a stomach bug and a bad back respectively before Saturday’s game. If either return it should see Bowditch shunned out of the side again after a fairly comfortable performance on against Blackpool.

The referee will be Martin Atkinson. The well-known Premiership referee last officiated the match between Stoke City and Manchester City.
    [img width=468 height=384]http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/09_04/drogbaPA2909_468x384.jpg[/img]
    Martin Atkinson has made some big decisions in his Premiership refereeing career
    Once again, three points is vital. The season is now over in many people’s eyes. However, a win should give even the most miserable of town fans a glimmer of hope. The players are sure to be down at the moment. They will have to muster everything they have mentally to true the psychologically boost themselves for this game and really apply themselves. The fans have already turned on Jim but the players can still be adored. Each and every one needs to put in a performance with pride and prove how much they want the reward of three points.

My prediction: 1-0 (Surely we have to win this one??)

I've had to split the preview in half as your forum won't let me post more than 10,000 characters....

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Ipswichfan's Pre match Preview

Second half...
    A little treat for you this week too, I hope you don’t mind a bit of reading but from now on I’m going to try to get an interview from the opposing teams fans. This week it’s Forest fan “Rich”, and he doesn’t sound as depressed as Ipswich Town’s very own, famous, “Rich” lol

Hey "richjcrouch", how long have you been a Forest fan?
    Just Rich is fine! I'm 25 years old, which means I've been a fan for 25 years! Took in my first game aged around 4, I think.

How would you rate this season and why?
    It started out brightly, a good result against Reading, a good result against Watford and then some capitulation. things got bad, we were geared up for League One football again, and then something happened, and we have been resurgent. This season has, so far, been a learning curve for our youngsters. Hopefully survival will be followed with a playoff push next season.

Why do you think you have found yourself in the position you are?
    It's difficult to pinpoint, really. Obviously the easy thing to do is to blame Colin Calderwood or injuries. The fact is, though, we've been guilty of not punishing teams when we've had the chance. The game at the City Ground against you guys was a perfect example. We had chance to wrap that game up in the first half, but we didn't, and then we squandered the chance of three points.

What is your squad's main strength?
    I think our ability to hit team on the break can, at times, be breathtaking. The sight of Nathan Tyson outpacing a right back has been a sight to behold for Forest fans this season. Equally, our midfield is strong, and getting stronger. Lewis McGugan is a Premiership destined player, Chris Cohen has the ability to keep running forever, and the imminent return (you're lucky it's not that imminent!) of Guy Moussi will bring the manager headaches about who to pick. Add into the mix current injured players like James Perch and Paul Anderson and you can see how a full strength midfield could be special. Unfortunately, every one of those players had a relatively serious injury this season at some point, which may further answer the last question!

Another point, which may be controversial amongst Forest fans, is Paul Smith. Some fans blame him for the points we've dropped, and some praise him for the points we've gained. I fall into the latter category, and rate him as one of the top goalkeepers in the division.

What is your squad's main weakness?
    Two things, firstly, our inability to punish sides. In the cup game against Derby we went 2-0 up very quickly, and it could have been 4 or 5 by half time if we'd kept pushing, but we sat back and invited pressure, and to be honest, I don't want to talk about the rest of that game!

Secondly, we have frequently been exposed in defence. It's been make shift for two seasons now, with centre backs playing as full backs, full backs being injured and a general feeling of anarchy at the back!

Who would you consider your player of the season is so far?
    Another tricky one, but I'm going to say Tyson. His pace is devastating.

How do you view Ipswich Town?
    As a Forest fan, I thank god for Ipswich Town when embarrassing results are quoted. You suffered slightly worse against Man Utd than us! (they beat us 8-1!).

This season I would say I expected a little more from Ipswich. You seem to have gone off the boil a little over your past few games, but I think you are in with an outside shot at the playoffs. You've not got too difficult a run-in now, and should be able to take maximum points from more games than you don't.

You're only 7 points from a play off place as it stands, so you're definitely in with a shout.

If you could have one Ipswich player who would it be and why?
    Given our current defensive frailties, I'd have to go with Moritz Volz.

Town fans have organised a pre match protest for the game to fume their frustrations against Jim Magilton, do you think our fans are right to want him sacked?
    No, no I don't. I can understand your frustrations, but we've just endured 3 years in League One, followed by a disastrous start to this season. When you've done that, you should be able to call for your managers head. He's currently about 6 points below where you're expectations should lie, and I don't think that's enough of a margin for a protest.

That said, people wanted Calderwood out of Forest when we were top of the league. It's purely about expectations and where the reality matches up. At the start of the season did you expect to be winning this league? If so, then yes, protest. I think it's a difficult thing for an 'outsider' to comment on, as we don't have to sit there for 90 minutes every week watching the team you love not performing. It's an evocative thing, and if your fans have decided that enough is enough, then a protest, providing it doesn't degenerate into personal abuse toward the manager, is probably the best thing you can do. whilst you don't own the football club, as a supporter you are a part of the club, and as such should be able to have your say.

Have you visited Portman Road before? If yes, how would you rate it from an away fan's point of view?
    Indeed I have! After visiting some grounds during our 3 year trip into the abyss, pretty much every away ground this season is a treat! It's also a treat to visit another stadium that isn't a 'flat pack' sort of Ikea stadium! Not sure if I could give an exact rating, but I seem to remember having a nice pie there, which is of course key to enjoying any football match!

Thanks a lot Rich, finally....what is your match prediction?
    We'll win 5-0. Or draw 1-1. Good luck with the rest of your season, starting Thursday, of course!

Rice IV

That's a really good read, actually. (Obviously I meant the bit in blue!)

Talk to me, Goose.

Miserable bastard

Yep...good stuff.

I actually paid a visit to Ipswich last year on a non-match day (Shopping trip with the wife).

Had a nosey round your club shop too!

Cheers lads. I'm newly employed. Only my third preview. I hope I gave a fair view of Forest and did you justice?
    Would you agree with McGugan being key?

Rice IV

I'd say McGugan is key, attitude depending. If he feels like playing, he can run the show against anyone.

If he doesn't then we begin to look weak.

#FindElaine

been a little hit and miss recently - heads not quite been in the game and accused by some of being a big time charlie and thinking he's too big for the club. However he seems to have bucked his ideas up again in the last couple of games

Please donate to my #MPCC14 JustGiving page @ Justgiving.com/FindElaine

yeh that is a great read i think you did well (ipswichfan) and think richjcrouch answered the questions well pretty much how i would of done. i would agree lewis is probably the correct choice for the man to watch hope he performes well

BTW, can someone please tell me why you all have "Rice" on your shirts with different numbers? Is it like your number in a supporters club called "Rice" or is Rice a famous player?? lol, I realise my ignorance will probably humour you but I honestly don't know.

I'd have Garvan from you lot.

I was really impressed when he came to the CG, everything positive you did came through him.

Quote Originally Posted by ipswichfan
    BTW, can someone please tell me why you all have "Rice" on your shirts with different numbers? Is it like your number in a supporters club called "Rice" or is Rice a famous player?? lol, I realise my ignorance will probably humour you but I honestly don't know.
    Brian Rice is a 'famous' ex-player, although his fame didn't really derive from his footballing skills, although he did score a few important goals..

We used to sing a song that went 'No. 1 is Brian RIe, No. 2 is Brian Rice, etc'.

Please don't mention this on your forum

I think it makes us look like idiots.

no offence intended to the idiots.

#FindElaine

It was the idea of Winnits brother to have a team' of Rices from the site and have a big away day during the season. It also helps any new additions to our pre match meets find us easily in the pub

Resident foodie!

Quote Originally Posted by Ubique
    It was the idea of Winnits brother to have a team' of Rices from the site and have a big away day during the season. It also helps any new additions to our pre match meets find us easily in the pub
    Didn't we already do that?

Crystal Palace...

There's only one Brian rice

Scumbaggio is right, it does make you look like idiots

Scumbaggio is right, it does make you look like idiots
    I'm glad someone agrees.

#FindElaine

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    Didn't we already do that?

Crystal Palace...
    That was it - think there might be another (slightly smaller) meeting at Reading

Good answers from Just Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by wesizleftpeg
    Good answers from Just Rich.
    yea i thought so.

We all talk shite from time to time.

but I agree with the Volz part.

Very entertaining read that, thanks for sharing.

Always had a soft spot for Ipswich after visiting Portman Road some years ago. Proper football fans and a proper football ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Scumbaggio
    yea i thought so.

We all talk s**te from time to time.

but I agree with the Volz part.
    A. Volz is actually injured
    B. He has honestly been really really poor for us this season. Like, nothing special at all. If you want a full back then have David Wright, he has been one of Jim's best signings. He's barely mentioned and other clubs don't really know much about him, probably cos he doesn't have a stand out name, but honestly, he is very impressive.

Rice IV

Volz has the proven capability to be good, though, which is something we need at the moment, given our current league position.

B. He has honestly been really really poor for us this season. Like, nothing special at all. If you want a full back then have David Wright, he has been one of Jim's best signings. He's barely mentioned and other clubs don't really know much about him, probably cos he doesn't have a stand out name, but honestly, he is very impressive.
    fair play.

I always seem to sign the guy on football manager.

Well if you're offering him to us

Quote Originally Posted by nigelnffc
    Well if you're offering him to us
    Have you got £900,000 to spare?