Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Smith Going back into his shell?

Default Paul Smith Going back into his shell?

I went to St Andrews yesterday and i thought Smithy is going back into his shell.After some decent performances againest Man City and Charlton his decision making is being very indecisive again.Yes he still is one of the better keepers in the League due to his stopping ability.But his general positions and important factor of being a goalkeeper eludes him,When Birmingham angled a free kick towards goal Marcus Bent headed it across the face of goal with no one in the 6 yard box to clear or score.Smith could of collected the ball but it goes across the fact of goal with instance pressure back on us again when a corner is then given as Moloney clears for a corner.Also when a long Ball is played 9 times out of 10 either Morgan or Wilson have to give away a throwing as Smith should be on the edge of his box but still remains on his line.

When The back four need to pressure taking off Smith should help them out, but with his reluctance to come off his line and take responsibility is given the other team a better opportunity to take advantage.
    Also by mentioning Wilson it doesn't get him off the hook as his laid back attitude is making him look crap this season againest better opponents.I just hope Smith books up his ideas because on his day he is a decent keeper but these question marks around him at the moment is making the back four look increasingly shaky.

Similar Threads:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Paul Smith Going back into his shell?

Another thread on Paul Smith, on how he doesn't come out for crosses, doesnt command the area.

Paul Smith has kept us in a lot of games this season, End of.

If you look in my post i never for one minute mention Lee Camp

I must reiterate though. Not coming for crosses does not cost us goals.

Their first goal my mate said was his fault. At first I thought he was right but after watching it again I must disagree. I don't expect the goalkeeper to be diving for a cross along the floor across the box at a bit of a pace when there should be centre backs easily intercepting the cross and the marker of Bent (?) if it should get to him clearing the ball and dealing with it easily.

His decision making is not in decisive he just chooses not to come for the ball some will argue that is a bad thing. In some instances is that is correct but Lee Camp the hero awarded us a goal due to coming a ridiculous distance to collect a ball and later in the game Smith kept us in producing a great save after making a good decision to stay on his line.

The arguments will continue but I believe Smith had kept more clean sheets than Camp after the Man City game. There are many statistics which you can argue for and against Smith but clean sheets stand out for me.

Besides there is no point in complaining because like it or not we don't look set to replace Smith at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick.Doyle.Nffc
    Another thread on Paul Smith, on how he doesn't come out for crosses, doesnt command the area. And on how Camp is better.

Paul Smith has kept us in a lot of games this season, End of.
    End of? It most certainly isn't.

Smith will probably be replaced in the summer, whether or not it is by Lee Camp remains to be seen. Even Calderwood, founder of the Smith fan club, lost patience with him.

Some of his saves have been exceptional, but it is impossible to quantify how many points he has cost us with his slow-motion distribution and blunt refusal to receive most passes. I can see Smith's merrits, but I am sick of seeing balls ballooning into the stand because Smith is busy quaking at the thought of a clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by What's in a name?

Smith will probably be replaced in the summer, whether or not it is by Lee Camp remains to be seen. Even Calderwood, founder of the Smith fan club, lost patience with him.

Some of his saves have been exceptional, but it is impossible to quantify how many points he has cost us with his slow-motion distribution and blunt refusal to receive most passes. I can see Smith's merrits, but I am sick of seeing balls ballooning into the stand because Smith is busy quaking at the thought of a clearance.
    I agree,Yes Smiths has made some great saves this season but his mistakes have cost us which have been:

Coming for a ball he was never going to get againest Palace which Kuqi scored
    A lazy Punch agaienst Wolves that hit Morgan then went in,(he could of caught it or got it away from from the danger zone)
    Also other decisions he has made that have made the back four so unconfident at crucial times in matches this season.

Paul Smith is probably going back into his shell because his own supporters spend their time slagging him off and making ironic cheers at him everytime he catches a cross.

nakkernino del clusto

Its pretty easy to quantify how many points have been lost through his 'slow distribution' and booting into the stands, none.

He keeps a fair few clean sheets though.

Love or hate guy....
    Hate, hes awful time to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tnewton_1988
    he is still one of the better keepers in the League due to his shit stopping ability
    Hmm, better not give him any of this then

[img width=200 height=200]http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/4638/exlaxchocolatelaxative1kw1.jpg[/img]

Some of his saves have been exceptional, but it is impossible to quantify how many points he has cost us with his slow-motion distribution
    His "slow distribution" set up the attack that led to our equaliser against Sheffield Wednesday.

There's not really any real discussion to be had, mainly because his critics tend to routinely ignore the things he does that don't fit in with their views of him.

He's excellent but sadly he's never going to be accepted by some...which is bizarre as, aside from possibly Earnshaw, he's our only player that's demonstrated that he's capable of putting in consistently good performances in the Premier League. Though he'd certainly benefit from some support from our so called "supporters". Some that I've sat near just sit through the game waiting for a chance to give him some stick, it's an absolute disgrace.

Rice 21

Wrong, Calderwood was simply trying to divert attention away from the fact he did not strengthen the back 4 over the summer.

This attacking of Smith has got to stop, it is horrible to hear groans if smith doesn't come off his line. Whoever said he should be on the edge of his box for long balls?! Are you mad? He'd get lobbed every game!!

Smith is a good keeper, and I'm sorry to all the Camp fans, he isn't going to be coming, nor do we need him. That cross he came out for against us for QPR was exactly what would happen if Smith came for everything, like people expect him to. It is absurd to turn against one of our own players like this, especially in the situation we are in.

I went to St Andrews yesterday and i thought Smithy is going back into his shell.After some decent performances againest Man City and Charlton his decision making is being very indecisive again.Yes he still is one of the better keepers in the League due to his stopping ability.But his general positions and important factor of being a goalkeeper eludes him,When Birmingham angled a free kick towards goal Marcus Bent headed it across the face of goal with no one in the 6 yard box to clear or score.Smith could of collected the ball but it goes across the fact of goal with instance pressure back on us again when a corner is then given as Moloney clears for a corner.Also when a long Ball is played 9 times out of 10 either Morgan or Wilson have to give away a throwing as Smith should be on the edge of his box but still remains on his line.

When The back four need to pressure taking off Smith should help them out, but with his reluctance to come off his line and take responsibility is given the other team a better opportunity to take advantage.
    Also by mentioning Wilson it doesn't get him off the hook as his laid back attitude is making him look crap this season againest better opponents.I just hope Smith books up his ideas because on his day he is a decent keeper but these question marks around him at the moment is making the back four look increasingly shaky.
    Totally agree with you mate. And so did the 15/20 people sat with me at Birmingham. I feel nervy everytime the ball comes to Smith, he lacks confidence. I appreciate that people see him as a good keeper but my opinion is that we need to replace him.

In the hearts and minds of the weak and wounded

All the crosses that the away fans were shouting at him for not going for weren't for him to collect. Maybe one where he could have come and got the ball and didn't.

I can't stand how people ironically cheer when he throws the ball. Yes, he is catious with the ball but man times when people want him to throw it would be suicidal.

Darren Ward, by Smiths standards, was a poor keeper. But we never got on his back half as much as Smith.

All that said, I want to see a different keeper next year. Camp, maybe. But untill then I just wish everyone would just lay off the man. He might be going into his shell because of people calling for him to replaced constantly and Lee Camp coming on the radio and arrogantly stating that Forest know what they need to do.

Bleh!

Quote Originally Posted by --Jacko--
    Totally agree with you mate. And so did the 15/20 people sat with me at Birmingham. I feel nervy everytime the ball comes to Smith, he lacks confidence. I appreciate that people see him as a good keeper but my opinion is that we need to replace him.
    The only reason he'd lack confidence is due to the significant number of cretins amongst our support who groan at him constantly throughout each and every game, usually when he hasn't even done anything wrong.

They groan at him for not coming out for crosses around the penalty spot...yet if he actually did come out for such crosses and miss them (which would be the likely outcome) they'd crucify him.

I go on about this constantly I know but it really pisses me off. I'm ashamed to associate myself with some of our fanbase given their overbearing stupidity.

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

OK, so why do folk groan at Smith's actions, most of the same of whom didn't groan at Camp's actions in games?

By "relegation battle", do you mean 7th, 12th or 14th?

Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

AKA Randy Bumgardener

If you could combine Smudge's shot stopping with Camp's command of area and decision making, you would have a Shilton cast. Easily the best GK in England ! Each has their strength's, and evils. Smudge can provide world class saves at point blank range, Camp can even tell Jules to mark closer (a brave man)

Each has saved and won us valuable points this season. You can even say fate ! That they have each been as equal savior. BUT. Every man needs competition to compete.

'The cross came in from Majewski, and Blackstock slid in, Gabriel Tamas attached to him in the manner in which a baby chimpanzee clings to its mother' Dexter Blackstock vs West Brom

Quote Originally Posted by 'Sir' Flagman
    OK, so why do folk groan at Smith's actions, most of the same of whom didn't groan at Camp's actions in games?
    As weak a retort as it sounds, probably because he wasn't Paul Smith.

Whilst Camp did well for us he did have a number of very iffy moments and could have done better with a few goals we conceded.

But these were all ignored and Camp was being touted as a goalkeeping Messiah which he most certainly isn't.

AKA Randy Bumgardener

Quote Originally Posted by Baronvon
    As weak a retort as it sounds, probably because he wasn't Paul Smith.

Whilst Camp did well for us he did have a number of very iffy moments and could have done better with a few goals we conceded.

But these were all ignored and Camp was being touted as a goalkeeping Messiah which he most certainly isn't.
    Exactly. But then same disappointments could be pointed at Smudge. Could you be as confident as smudge facing a peno as Camp ? Or as confident as Camp facing an easy shot as Smudge ?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bumgardener - A True American Hero
    Exactly. But then same disappointments could be pointed at Smudge. Could you be as confident as smudge facing a peno as Camp ? Or as confident as Camp facing an easy shot as Smudge ?
    Smith's saved a couple of penalties for us in his time. They just weren't as high profile as Camp's.

I don't think Smith has ever saved a penalty for us

I don't think Smith has ever saved a penalty for us
    He saved one at Swansea but he patted it straight back to Bodde who scored the rebound.

Quote Originally Posted by It's Baggio
    He saved one at Swansea but he patted it straight back to Bodde who scored the rebound.
    He also saved one in a penalty shootout against...Chester I think it was.

If i'd have had as much shit thrown at me as Smith had, i'd be hiding in a shell too.

AKA Randy Bumgardener

Quote Originally Posted by Baronvon
    Smith's saved a couple of penalties for us in his time. They just weren't as high profile as Camp's.
    Maybe Smudge doesn't enjoy the high profile matbhes as Camp ?