Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damned United Preview and Trailer

AKA Randy Bumgardener

Default Damned United Preview and Trailer

'The cross came in from Majewski, and Blackstock slid in, Gabriel Tamas attached to him in the manner in which a baby chimpanzee clings to its mother' Dexter Blackstock vs West Brom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Damned United Preview and Trailer

It looks OK. But I worry that he's going to play him too camply! Also there were a few things in there that I couldn't imagine Cloughy doing/saying.

The film is its own entity and must stand on its own, seperate from the Book by Peace and the real versions of the characters in the story. I doubt Taylor, Revie, Bremner and Longson will be any more accurately protrayed than Clough.

Personally so long as it is an entertaining and self-assured caricature I'll enjoy it. Existing Clough footage is so good a proper decent feature length documentary would be more appropriate as a 'proper' account of Clough's life than a biopic ever could.

Still, we might get a sequel set at Forest, if we all go and see it. Clough was a character changed by his experiences when he arrived here - solvent and chastened by his failure. It could be quite a different film.

I'm quite glad this one doesn't involve Forest in the plot, given ur current predicament - when we've re-acquired some dignified stability, I'll be happier to have the attention of the wider football-loving public upon us.

The premiere is next Wednesday. I have managed to wangle a ticket, so will post a review upon my return.

Quote Originally Posted by FBS
    The premiere is next Wednesday. I have managed to wangle a ticket, so will post a review upon my return.
    Can you wangle another one?

Quote Originally Posted by Tutts
    Can you wangle another one?
    I was trying to get a few, but could only get one. I imagine it will only be a small cinema premiere.

I was trying to get a few, but could only get one. I imagine it will only be a small cinema premiere.
    Well you're no use whatsoever.

Rambo, have you got any 'contacts?'

Here, there & anywhere that will have me..

Quote Originally Posted by goatboy
    The film is its own entity and must stand on its own, seperate from the Book by Peace and the real versions of the characters in the story. I doubt Taylor, Revie, Bremner and Longson will be any more accurately protrayed than Clough.
    If the above 5 and some of the others portrayed weren't dead - there probably wouldn't have been a book/film at all. It's quite fortunate for Peace that dead men can't sue. You can pretty much guarantee that if BC were still around today, this book would be tied up in litigation.

Shame really, as once you get your head around that it's a piece of fiction based on real events - it's a bloody good read.

The beast is stirring yet again!! :devil:

it has nothing to do with football or NFFC

Might go and see it, It does look not too bad.

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

Vue Leicester Square (aka Warner West End, if you're of a certain age) isn't a small cinema!

I'll see you there, if that's where your tickets are!

By "relegation battle", do you mean 7th, 12th or 14th?

Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

Everyones going but me.

I thought the book was brilliant - it had enough truth in the 'history' of what happened to make you think that the thoughts of BC and some of the other things suggested in the book might, just might have happened. However, I really think that the whole point of the book was to marry together fact and fiction. I worry that the film, when I see it, might be so far from the atmosphere created in the book, that only the name will be the same. As reds fans - don't take it so seriously. Incidently, Cloughie may have loved it and had a good laugh. It's a kind of black comedy, after all.

Trailer for the Damned United, looks good in my opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYzsswqPk6s

Quote Originally Posted by RRRREDUN
    I worry that the film, when I see it, might be so far from the atmosphere created in the book, that only the name will be the same.
    considering this quote from the director:

He said the film-makers had taken a conscious decision to lighten the book's tone. "We didn't dwell on his alcoholism or his decline. That wasn't the story we wanted to tell. In quite tough times, we wanted to make a film with an upbeat ending - you come out of the cinema thinking it was an enjoyable experience and that Clough was a good guy."
    it sounds like only the name will be the same. there's about 3 pages where he's not drinking in the book.

Thanks Sebs for the bit about the director. It's a shame he felt the need to lighten it all up. We all loved BC but realised that he was humanly frail like the rest of us. For instance, he could have probably stopped our relegation in his last season. BUT do we hate him for it? Of course not. Even some less-than-flattering bits in a film wouldn't change our opinions. The book was thought-provoking - some fact, some fiction, but it was entertaining for all it's dark bits.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Sir' Flagman
    Vue Leicester Square (aka Warner West End, if you're of a certain age) isn't a small cinema!

I'll see you there, if that's where your tickets are!
    Yep, that's where i'll be on Wednesday. Good to know there will be a fellow tricky there as well.

Resident foodie!

I'm sure there'll be plenty of Forest fans there mate.

So tonight's the night. At least it will take my mind off our current woes for a couple of hours.

I'm really looking forward to it as well.

Resident foodie!

For anyone interested, the guy who plays Brian Clough is on Jonathan Ross on Friday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    For anyone interested, the guy who plays Brian Clough is on Jonathan Ross on Friday night.
    And Soccer AM on Saturday.

So................................
    It's fantastic film. Moving, poignant, funny, sad, angry and many more. It is more light-hearted than the book (Hardly shows anything of his drinking), but it shows his competitive streak throughout. Sheen plays it very well, I'm not sure there would have been anyone better at doing it. Spall is excellent as Taylor. Broadbent is great as Longson.
    Most of the film alternates between Leeds and Derby, so there is long periods where they show him at Derby and where he becomes the bolshy Clough we all knew.
    There isn't much football in it, 20 minutes at the most.
    The main thing that shows on the film is that it puts Leeds ina very negative light. You really do feel his pain throughout. His constant fighting with the board and players. It made me dislike Leeds even more.
    It is essentially a love story underneath it all. The love between Taylor and Clough and how they couldn't live without each other.

After it had finished one thing stuck in my mind: We will NEVER see another football manager like BC, he truely was an enigma and this film shows that.

Couple of side points: It turns out Jim Broadbent is a Forest fan - he said so last night. Also when Michael Sheen came up the front to introduce the film he said "I really think Brain would be pleased with this film, but he would say 'WHY ISN'T IT A TRILOGY?'"

For anyone wondering, it only mentions Forest briefly at the end. Shows some shots of us winning the European cups etc

Daniel

I got a last minute ticket to see the Premier and despite some reservations I went. (why I had any reservations I don't know)

Saw Flagman - Hope you got home ok? Didn't realise FBS was there.

I can't really add to much more FBS has said without giving too much away except it's a fantastic film and definately a must see. I did at some point find myself feeling pleased at a Derby victory. Thankfully I had a bath when I got home! lol

Overall fantastic night, sat behind Boris Becker and his missus. Had a chat with ex england and Arsenal Striker Alan Smith who was a top bloke I might add.

Watch out for an amusing picture of Flagman with Sven and Capello. Cheesy is the word of the day!

Couple of side points: It turns out Jim Broadbent is a Forest fan - he said so last night. Also when Michael Sheen came up the front to introduce the film he said "I really think Brain would be pleased with this film, but he would say 'WHY ISN'T IT A TRILOGY?'"
    He might get his wish, NEP saying a sequel about his time at Forest may be made!

Link

I saw Nigel Saying the Clough family weren't too chuffed with this film, and had been annoyed by the book, so I probably won't go now. Not sure I could resist if they made a Forest one though.

Daniel

Flagman and I agreed last night that the film left it opened nicely for a sequal!