Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 128

Thread: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

      
  1. #76
    In acres of space
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wild Country
    Posts
    38,311

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Dad's Ashamed Of You View Post
    There were children crying everywhere! Forest just didn't lose at home. And certainly not to rubbish like Brighton! I'm numb to it all now. I could see the Stoke situation coming and it didn't bother me much but my younger son was absolutely gutted. Took me right back. Forest should be done for child abuse.
    It was a huge shock. As you say, we just didn’t lose at home, and defeats seemed worse then because they happened so rarely.

    Stand Firm And Strike Hard

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,712

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    Too many tough moments for me to think long and hard about. I'm not going to ruin my morning.

    However, I've read through every post and I feel the heart-stabbing pain contained in those posts.


  4. #78
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Little Italy, aka Bakersfield, Nottingham.
    Posts
    11,879

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    1) Watching our debut in a European competition at the CG against Valencia in 1961, with excited schoolboy anticipation, in front of big crowd under the floodlights that had only been installed a few weeks before. We had to turn around a 2-0 deficit from the first-leg in Spain. They battered us 5-1. Although I'd previously seen us beaten at home, it was the first time I'd seen us totally outclassed by an opposition we couldn't get anywhere close to, whereby we were flattered by the scoreline!


    2) Going with my older brother on a Barton's coach from Huntingdon Street bus station to watch us away at Tottenham in 1962. I remember seeing us take an early the lead and scoring a late second goal. The bit in between was something of a blur as Spurs netted nine times!


    3) Another 1960s one for me was being knocked-out of the-then Inter Cities Fairs Cup (for younger forum members, the forerunner of the UEFA Cup) by FC Zurich in 1967 because the club was embarrassingly unaware of the away-goals rule. We were expecting extra-time after winning the home-leg 2-1, before trailing 1-0 in Switzerland as the final-whistle was blown. Our players and officials look perplexed as the Zurich players and fans celebrated winning the tie.

    During the inquest afterwards, it was claimed that the committee had placed the blame on the club secretary, Ken Smales for not thoroughly examining the competition rules.


    4) After what - in the light of the last two decades - can now be truly acknowledged as 18 unbelievable years, Cloughie's final game in charge, and more so the sadness that it was accompanied by relegation.


    5) The absolute farce, shame and embarrassment that the club was within a couple of days of starting the season behind-closed-doors (for the worst reason) at the City Ground because of al-Hasawi's sheer amateur-hour incompetence!

    Last edited by Otis Redd'un; 29-07-20 at 12:10.

  5. #79
    In acres of space
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wild Country
    Posts
    38,311

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    1) Watching our debut in a European competition at the CG against Valencia, with excited schoolboy anticipation, in front of big crowd under the floodlights that had only been installed a few weeks before. We had to turn around a 2-0 deficit from the first-leg in Spain. They battered us 5-1. Although I'd previously seen us beaten at home, it was the first time I'd seen us totally outclassed by an opposition we couldn't get anywhere close to, whereby we were flattered by the scoreline!


    2) Going with my older brother on a Barton's coach from Huntingdon Street bus station to watch us away at Tottenham in 1962. I remember seeing us take an early the lead and scoring a late second goal. The bit in between was something of a blur as Spurs netted nine times!


    3) Another 1960s one for me was being knocked-out of the-then Inter Cities Fairs Cup (for younger forum members, the forerunner of the UEFA Cup) by FC Zurich in 1967 because the club was embarrassingly unaware of the away-goals rule. We were expecting extra-time after winning the home-leg 2-1, before trailing 1-0 in Switzerland as the final-whistle was blown. Our players and officials look perplexed as the Zurich players and fans celebrated winning the tie.

    During the inquest afterwards, it was claimed that the committee had placed the blame on the club secretary, Ken Smales for not thoroughly examining the competition rules.


    4) After what - in the light of the last two decades - can now be truly acknowledged as 18 unbelievable years, Cloughie's final game in charge, and more so the sadness that it was accompanied by relegation.


    5) The absolute farce, shame and embarrassment that the club was within a couple of days of starting the season behind-closed-doors (for the worst reason) at the City Ground because of al-Hasawi's sheer amateur-hour incompetence!
    Did that Spurs side still contain most of the double winners Otis?


  6. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Little Italy, aka Bakersfield, Nottingham.
    Posts
    11,879

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    Did that Spurs side still contain most of the double winners Otis?
    Yes Rav, with the addition of Jimmy Greaves who did his usual damage against us.


  7. #81
    In acres of space
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wild Country
    Posts
    38,311

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    Yes Rav, with the addition of Jimmy Greaves who did his usual damage against us.
    Considering those were the days when winning the double was a genuine achievement, that team plus Jimmy Greaves is arguably one of the greatest ever English sides. Of course, it would have been scant consolation at the time to know what you were witnessing.


  8. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    LDN
    Posts
    2,805

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Redreason View Post
    1992...

    Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk
    1992 Rumbelows, that's the one


  9. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    3,439

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    My top 5. A couple of older moments stand out because I was at school when they happened and I took a fucking hammering from folk because I was the only Forest fan in my year.

    1) Yeovil. 'Nuff said.
    2) Stoke the other night.
    3) Losing 7-0 to Blackburn in 95/96.
    4) Losing 5-1 to Bayern Munich in 95/96.
    5) Losing to Swansea in the play-offs that time.

    Also conditioned by the fact that I wasn't paying much attention during the Megson era. For a few years after leaving home I fell out of football for a bit - was far more interested in playing heavy metal and smoking vanloads of dope. Looking back, it was a happier time

    Last edited by Caveman Ninja; 29-07-20 at 13:36.

  10. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,767

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    Quote Originally Posted by glosterred View Post
    What school out of interest?

    For me:

    1) Relegation to League one at Loftus road - truly depressing day
    2) Yeovil
    3) Sacking Bill Davies - the realization at that point it could take years to return to those dizzy heights...
    4) Chester in the Cup
    5) Blackpool Play Offs
    I went to Crypt from 1994 to 2001. We had a few other Forest fans in the school but pretty sure I was the only one in my year group..

    There were enough highs in that period but the lows, when the rest of the school supported Villa, Man Utd, Liverpool and Spurs were hard to take...

    A kid of today has just known low points. I'm not sure what's worse. A fellow Gloucester red eh? Did you grow up in Glos?

    Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk


  11. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    175

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Redreason View Post
    I went to Crypt from 1994 to 2001. We had a few other Forest fans in the school but pretty sure I was the only one in my year group..

    There were enough highs in that period but the lows, when the rest of the school supported Villa, Man Utd, Liverpool and Spurs were hard to take...

    A kid of today has just known low points. I'm not sure what's worse. A fellow Gloucester red eh? Did you grow up in Glos?

    Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk
    Yes born and bred - St Peters - left in 1998!


  12. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Stratford Upon Avon
    Posts
    2,700

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    There have been many worst Forest moments....off the top of my head here are a few:

    - Losing 1-8 to Manure in the 1998/99 season.
    - Losing to Yeovil, Blackpool, Sheffield U & Swansea in the play offs.....none of them were better teams than us.
    - Losing to Stoke last week.
    - Losing to the sheep - the infamous coffee cup match.
    - The sale of the Club in 1998 when Committee Members thought they were entitled to thousands because they were Committee Members.
    - Every second Irving Scholar was at our Club.
    - Every second Fawaz was at our Club.
    - Losing at home one Boxing Day to Doncaster - I think they were 4-0 up at half time....
    - Virtually every time Millwall come to the City Ground...


  13. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,767

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    Quote Originally Posted by glosterred View Post
    Yes born and bred - St Peters - left in 1998!
    Ah, I knew a lad who went to St Peter's who followed Forest. Bit younger than you by the sounds of things. Saw him not that long ago, decent chap, very talented sports man

    Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk


  14. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    175

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Redreason View Post
    Ah, I knew a lad who went to St Peter's who followed Forest. Bit younger than you by the sounds of things. Saw him not that long ago, decent chap, very talented sports man

    Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk
    There were a few of our generation and older - not so many of the younger generation wearing Forest shirts now though sadly!


  15. #89
    May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    41,006

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    Jeez.
    Wray and Scholar.

    I think the reason people haven't mentioned these two much is we've all tried to erase them from memory.

    Was pleased to see Wray's Saracens get hammered by the authorities recently. Couldn't happen to a nicer person....

    By "relegation battle", do you mean 7th, 12th or 14th?

    Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

  16. #90
    In acres of space
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wild Country
    Posts
    38,311

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Baker's Dog View Post
    There have been many worst Forest moments....off the top of my head here are a few:

    - Losing 1-8 to Manure in the 1998/99 season.
    - Losing to Yeovil, Blackpool, Sheffield U & Swansea in the play offs.....none of them were better teams than us.
    - Losing to Stoke last week.
    - Losing to the sheep - the infamous coffee cup match.
    - The sale of the Club in 1998 when Committee Members thought they were entitled to thousands because they were Committee Members.
    - Every second Irving Scholar was at our Club.
    - Every second Fawaz was at our Club.
    - Losing at home one Boxing Day to Doncaster - I think they were 4-0 up at half time....
    - Virtually every time Millwall come to the City Ground...
    That 4-0 Boxing Day defeat... the players looked like they’d all been on the Baileys all Xmas day and we’re carrying hangovers.


  17. #91
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,767

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    Quote Originally Posted by glosterred View Post
    There were a few of our generation and older - not so many of the younger generation wearing Forest shirts now though sadly!
    Nope.. as a teacher I've worked across Buckinghamshire and now in Dubai. I've never known a student at any of the schools I've worked at follow the reds either!

    Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk


  18. #92
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Little Italy, aka Bakersfield, Nottingham.
    Posts
    11,879

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    Considering those were the days when winning the double was a genuine achievement, that team plus Jimmy Greaves is arguably one of the greatest ever English sides. Of course, it would have been scant consolation at the time to know what you were witnessing.
    Indeed Rav. They were a marvellous side; adding the great Jimmy Greaves was the cherry on top. I forgot to add that Greaves scored four that afternoon but, as I said earlier, that minor detail was lost in the blur of what unfolded before me.

    Incidentally, we conceded four in each of the following two trips to Spurs, with Greavesie predictably scoring a hat-trick in one of them and a brace in the other - he loved playing against us throughout the '60s!

    To add further to our White Hart Lane misery during that period, I also witnessed us shipping another five against Southampton in a FA Cup 3rd-round, 2nd-replay there!


  19. #93
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,571

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman Ninja View Post
    3) Losing 7-0 to Blackburn in 95/96.
    Oh my, I had blanked this

    Horrific day. That was the end of the then unbeaten run wasn't it? Really highlighted how fragile we were following the 3rd season.

    Could possibly be pinpointed as the start of the decline.


  20. #94

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    Quote Originally Posted by Collymore! View Post

    Could possibly be pinpointed as the start of the decline.
    I'd be interested to see what the result of a poll on this would be, but I ain't starting the thread for all the bad vibes.

    We'll all hopefully look back in a few years and be debating over which was the catalyst for the start of the incline.


  21. #95
    May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    41,006

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos View Post
    I'd be interested to see what the result of a poll on this would be, but I ain't starting the thread for all the bad vibes.

    We'll all hopefully look back in a few years and be debating over which was the catalyst for the start of the incline.
    Easy.

    THAT save that Jordan Smith made in THAT game.


  22. #96
    Can't Re Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    7,343

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman Ninja View Post
    My top 5. A couple of older moments stand out because I was at school when they happened and I took a fucking hammering from folk because I was the only Forest fan in my year.

    1) Yeovil. 'Nuff said.
    2) Stoke the other night.
    3) Losing 7-0 to Blackburn in 95/96.
    4) Losing 5-1 to Bayern Munich in 95/96.
    5) Losing to Swansea in the play-offs that time.

    Also conditioned by the fact that I wasn't paying much attention during the Megson era. For a few years after leaving home I fell out of football for a bit - was far more interested in playing heavy metal and smoking vanloads of dope. Looking back, it was a happier time
    Of course you were the only Forest fan... you were in Auchenblae!

    I wasnít at Yeovil or Sheff Utd playoff... but I was at Blackpool, Swansea, the Man Utd 8-1, the Chester fiasco... in fact my first game was an FA Cup loss to Wrexham.

    I also drove from Edinburgh and back for the Bayern match, thatís not up there for me. Despite the score line there was a bizarre party atmosphere and we were cheering Bayern passes by the end. Twat of a drive home though!

    Oh FFS.

  23. #97
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,767

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    Thought we played well in the first half v Bayern. They just had too much for us ... an embarrassment of riches compared to our team. A capitulation, yes, but in the quarter final of the UEFA Cup vs Bayern Munich surely can't be considered in the same breath as Yeovil, Chester, Oldham and Woking!!

    Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk


  24. #98
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,767

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    Quote Originally Posted by Collymore! View Post
    Oh my, I had blanked this

    Horrific day. That was the end of the then unbeaten run wasn't it? Really highlighted how fragile we were following the 3rd season.

    Could possibly be pinpointed as the start of the decline.
    25 games unbeaten..but I think some were at the back end of 94-95... then Blackburn put 7 past us. Think they won the return fixture 5-1

    Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk


  25. #99

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Redreason View Post
    Thought we played well in the first half v Bayern. They just had too much for us ... an embarrassment of riches compared to our team. A capitulation, yes, but in the quarter final of the UEFA Cup vs Bayern Munich surely can't be considered in the same breath as Yeovil, Chester, Oldham and Woking!!

    Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk
    We went at it like a bull at a gate and got picked off at will. We only needed one goal!

    Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk


  26. #100
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,767

    Default Re: Top 5 Worst Forest Moments

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Dad's Ashamed Of You View Post
    We went at it like a bull at a gate and got picked off at will. We only needed one goal!

    Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Yep that's how I remember it. Not quite the same as being drubbed by Stoke City!

    Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •