Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Can't Re Member

Default Re: Things That Freaked You Out as a Kid

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    I remember seeing that old club, I took a photograph of a hand painted 'pinup girl' I think it was just above the entrance.

Noah Robinson owned a few of the rides back then as did Billy Williams and Ronnie Weston, they had the Big Wheels that came to Nottingham from Ocean Beach, for the Goose Fair. I've done various bits of artwork and signage for these folk over the years. Plenty of handpainted 'Rock Shop' signage I did too.
    since vinyl lettering and computers, there's very little traditional work left to be seen nowadays.

There are some great videos on YouTube of both the Funfairs during the 1950s/60s at Rhyl.

It must be 10yrs since I've last been there. I'm sure there was a supermarket on the Ocean Beach site now?
    Yeah, thereís a Range and an Aldi there now. Originally there were big plans for flats that looked like ocean liners, but that didnít happen.

Hereís your girl

Oh FFS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Bonalair View Post
    Yeah, there’s a Range and an Aldi there now. Originally there were big plans for flats that looked like ocean liners, but that didn’t happen.

Here’s your girl

Yep, that's her.

Cheers for the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    Can't wait for grandkids now!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonalair View Post
    It was a proper old school fair with the painted fair signs. It was originally at Marine Lake too before it moved across the road.
    The Rotor was a great ride though. They have a similar ride in Yarmouth, or at least they did the only time I went there, 11 years ago. I was never really that much of a fan of Rhyl. Went there too often, it was to Wrexham what Skeggy is to Notts (only that you could get there in less than half the time). But I suppose it was ok really back in my childhood and up to about the mid 80s. I was shocked to see how it had deteriorated when I went there in 2004 for the first time in 18 years, almost everything west of the Savoy hotel boarded up, though Ocean Beach was still running but looking like a travelling fair. Had a walk around the site in August 2007, still open but almost deserted, it closed for good the following month. Went to nearby Towyn on holiday in 2010, went into Rhyl for a couple of hours one afternoon, that was enough. Shame what's happened to the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    Hi there. I'm from Social Services... we have an open file on your Mother.
    We have discovered she had a secret stable where she kept devil horses that she would release at 10 o'clock every night, picking different kids to terrorise.
    Will you provide testimony?

I think she let them into the house during thunderstorms. That's why a window was opened at each end of the house, the lights turned off and we had to hide under a table with the cloth pulled down to allegedly protect us.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Pope View Post
    There was a kids program about a witch when I was a kid. Lizzy Dripping I think it was called. It was about a witch and scared me to death.

Also raggitty out of the Rupert bear puppets scared me shitless too

Yes Raggitty was a weird looking thing. Didn't like that Edna witch either, the one that looked like a tv.

But always thought there was something sinister about Hartley Hare in Pipkins too. Especially his antics with Michael the glove puppet.

It's all about mid-table...

Some memories in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Forestjones View Post
    The Rotor was a great ride though. They have a similar ride in Yarmouth, or at least they did the only time I went there, 11 years ago. I was never really that much of a fan of Rhyl. Went there too often, it was to Wrexham what Skeggy is to Notts (only that you could get there in less than half the time). But I suppose it was ok really back in my childhood and up to about the mid 80s. I was shocked to see how it had deteriorated when I went there in 2004 for the first time in 18 years, almost everything west of the Savoy hotel boarded up, though Ocean Beach was still running but looking like a travelling fair. Had a walk around the site in August 2007, still open but almost deserted, it closed for good the following month. Went to nearby Towyn on holiday in 2010, went into Rhyl for a couple of hours one afternoon, that was enough. Shame what's happened to the place.
    It's such a real shame, Rhyl was such a vibrant place when I was a kid.

The Rotor was insane, went on it once at Yarmouth, made me as sick as a dog. Never again.

axe to grind

It was probably Buckaroo.
    Not me, I was working at the petting zoo at the time. That's what the enquiry found.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    Not me, I was working at the petting zoo at the time. That's what the enquiry found.
    That's what Hartley Hare claimed too.

My mum used to get freaked out when the Jehovah's witnesses came door to door. When I was little she would make me hide behind the sofa with her when they came around. I don't know if her cousin being a witness had anything to do with it.

A couple of Witnesses came around shortly after she died and I had a right go at them. I politely tell them I'm not interested if they come these days.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm Red Till Dead View Post
    My mum used to get freaked out when the Jehovah's witnesses came door to door. When I was little she would make me hide behind the sofa with her when they came around. I don't know if her cousin being a witness had anything to do with it.

A couple of Witnesses came around shortly after she died and I had a right go at them. I politely tell them I'm not interested if they come these days.
    My mum and dad were having a row one day, the old man wasn't in the best of health and used to have a kip in the afternoon. He was going to bed out of the way but on route someone knocked on the front door. He answered the door and it was a couple of Jehovah's witnesses, he let them in and fucked off to bed to stitch my mum up.

My mum and dad were having a row one day, the old man wasn't in the best of health and used to have a kip in the afternoon. He was going to bed out of the way but on route someone knocked on the front door. He answered the door and it was a couple of Jehovah's witnesses, he let them in and fucked off to bed to stitch my mum up.