Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 306

Thread: Straight to Play-offs

      
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Endor
    Posts
    14,647

    Default Straight to Play-offs

    According to some papers, if the season isn't completed promote Leeds and West Brom

    then 2 game knock out for the play-off spot - us v bretalona and Fulham v person

    all neutral venues

    https://www.theguardian.com/football...eeds-west-brom

    To soon?

    or going up?

    -- It's our time. Do your job, give your best, and no regrets at the end!

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    According to some papers, if the season isn't completed promote Leeds and West Brom

    then 2 game knock out for the play-off spot - us v bretalona and Fulham v person

    all neutral venues

    https://www.theguardian.com/football...eeds-west-brom

    To soon?

    or going up?
    Going up.
    For the one fucking season to ever be played behind closed doors.
    Then back down again for eternity.


  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,478

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    If they are going to play any games behind closed doors, I suppose I had better volunteer to go along report on the games for the fans. Tough task , I know, but someone's got to do it.


  5. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    LDN
    Posts
    2,523

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    Being two games off a possible spot in the prem next year? I’ll take that please madam.


  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,990

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    Here is how the leagues could possibly look next season if this happened.

    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...eague-Two.html

    Would get the boys watching both home and away league games v Brentford for a morale boost to start with.

    Last edited by BryanRoy; 01-05-20 at 22:00.

  7. #6
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    85,957

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by BryanRoy View Post
    Here is how the leagues could possibly look next season if this happened.

    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...eague-Two.html
    Itís an absolute fudge.

    You canít really have Teams promoted, without any relegation the opposite way? I can why thatís the cop-out answer, but itís nonsense.

    ĄI believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialismď

    ó Joe Strummer

  8. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,228

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    It’s an absolute fudge.

    You can’t really have Teams promoted, without any relegation the opposite way? I can why that’s the cop-out answer, but it’s nonsense.
    Absolutely, Leeds & WBA get promoted without being promoted

    Norwich stay up & get more PL money

    Fulham could still catch either Leeds or WBA

    We’ve taken 4 points off Leeds this season

    PL shove it up yer bollocks


  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,990

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Itís an absolute fudge.

    You canít really have Teams promoted, without any relegation the opposite way? I can why thatís the cop-out answer, but itís nonsense.
    It is a tough one , mate.

    These are abnormal times and we have to adapt. I prefer each and every game being finished ideally & things stay normal.

    I'm totally against the season being null and void that is the main thing. Some how there needs to be a finality to this season so that next season can start on equal footing for everybody and if it is a slight re-jig to the numbers in the league then so be it.

    But importantly I'm also not against clubs thinking of the importance of receiving television money at this stage. So much unknowns and uncertainty and I don't want Forest or any club to suffer. But hopefully there will be retrospection and how can there not be after this to be more financially prudent.

    Obviously the above is taken into consideration that when given the go ahead everyone will be safe to do so.


  10. #9
    bad guy
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Clapham (via Radcliffe)
    Posts
    2,429

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    I think it's fairly obvious now the season will be null and void


  11. #10
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    85,957

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    I think it's fairly obvious now the season will be null and void
    For me, it has to be.

    If the season cannot be safely completed, write it off and start again, maybe in September. People will still be alive, but a few television companies might lose some money. Oh, no.

    Itís tough, but it has to be the right call.


  12. #11

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Yates View Post
    Absolutely, Leeds & WBA get promoted without being promoted

    Norwich stay up & get more PL money

    Fulham could still catch either Leeds or WBA

    Weíve taken 4 points off Leeds this season

    PL shove it up yer bollocks
    I genuinely don't fucking care about us ever getting promoted beyond the Scousers coming to town and I could really do without getting locked up at my age anyway.


  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,228

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    I genuinely don't fucking care about us ever getting promoted beyond the Scousers coming to town and I could really do without getting locked up at my age anyway.
    Yeah I agree, we’ll get there in the next couple of years & I'll probably hate it

    I’d rather win the FA cup than get promoted


  14. #13
    bad guy
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Clapham (via Radcliffe)
    Posts
    2,429

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    For me, it has to be.

    If the season cannot be safely completed, write it off and start again, maybe in September. People will still be alive, but a few television companies might lose some money. Oh, no.

    Itís tough, but it has to be the right call.
    I just don't see how matches can be played before the lockdown is fully lifted

    Remember this isn't just about fans - football is a contact sport so even if games are played behind closed doors there's still a very real possibility of infection between players and then the knock on of players families etc that entails

    How can you ask people to practice social distancing but also ask 22 men to put themselves at risk like that? It's just not going to happen


  15. #14
    bad guy
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Clapham (via Radcliffe)
    Posts
    2,429

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    And that's before you even get into training etc


  16. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    25,892

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    I would be embarrassed being handed a title or promotion I hadn’t won. Similarly I wouldn’t be happy being relegated having not had the chance to climb out of the relegation zone. There’s no half measures for me. Finish the season or scrap it and start again, with any extra money going to the lower leagues rather than the PL.


  17. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,478

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    Yes, it's a heck of a decision for the authorities, but for the average individual, there is no reason football should be treated any differently.

    If it can't be arranged properly, then scrap it and start again when it can. Even if that means next year.

    I think we are all settling into a new normal and the football is receding into the past and a distant future.

    Saturday now and the old urge is slowly drifting away as the allotment takes over.


  18. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    5,404

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    If weíre social distancing until the population is vaccinated I donít really see any proper football happening for the next couple of years.

    Maybe the odd behind closed doors exhibition match could happen, but not a full league programme.


  19. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    JLB Credit
    Posts
    9,269

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    I just don't see how matches can be played before the lockdown is fully lifted

    Remember this isn't just about fans - football is a contact sport so even if games are played behind closed doors there's still a very real possibility of infection between players and then the knock on of players families etc that entails

    How can you ask people to practice social distancing but also ask 22 men to put themselves at risk like that? It's just not going to happen
    Even behind closed doors they'll need medical staff to be present.

    Throw in all the training staff, the media, camera crews, you'll probably have a couple hundred people at each match.

    And that's not going into the crowds of idiots that will gather outside stadiums and in "pubs" in their mates' living rooms.

    They need to either scrap the season or finish this one properly when they can.

    Screw the TV companies the only real problem is player contacts expiring and the possibility of more transfer windows mid season.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk


  20. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    25,132

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    There's no way the EFL could realistically push through finishing the league as it is now.

    Swansea, Bristol, Blackburn, Cardiff and Millwall would all, rightly, bring legal procedings. Fulham might demand being promoted as 3rd place team as realistically they're the only ones that can catch WBA and Leeds.

    There's two ways out of this:
    1) Pause the season until it's safe to resume, then finish it.
    2) Null it, start the new season when it's safe to resume.

    Option 1 is probably the fairest, but comes with additional difficulties that the team lineups when games restart could be radically different to the games played in February because of player contract expiring. Option 2 avoids that conundrum but could result in radically different league table come end of that season.

    Anything in the middle ground is a fudge and is just going to bring lawsuit after lawsuit.

    Last edited by MaxiRobriguez; 02-05-20 at 10:05.
    .k I m
    I m u mm

  21. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,990

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    That is exactly the problem. Clubs are preparing for the whole 2020/21 season to be behind closed doors too.

    The need to get some normality and up-liftment through sport is extremely important. Steady re-introduction to "normal life with safety measures" will come back and sport will be one of the first.

    Right now it looks like The Bundesliga, Serie A, La Liga, Premier League, Championship and Liga Nos are all determined to get the season finished.

    Lets see what the next few weeks in the process brings. I'm certainly not in the camp of writing off this season. In fact yesterday sounded positive from all reports released by those leagues just mentioned. They will make it happen when it is possible. Some won't like it and how we have to adapt but so be it.


  22. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,990

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    There's no way the EFL could realistically push through finishing the league as it is now.

    Swansea, Bristol, Blackburn, Cardiff and Millwall would all, rightly, bring legal procedings. Fulham might demand being promoted as 3rd place team as realistically they're the only ones that can catch WBA and Leeds.

    There's two ways out of this:
    1) Pause the season until it's safe to resume, then finish it.
    2) Null it, start the new season when it's safe to resume.

    Option 1 is probably the fairest, but comes with additional difficulties that the team lineups when games restart could be radically different to the games played in February because of player contract expiring. Option 2 avoids that conundrum but could result in radically different league table come end of that season.

    Anything in the middle ground is a fudge and is just going to bring lawsuit after lawsuit.
    That is exactly what is happening in Holland and France. Clubs have begun lawsuits.

    For example in France not just the Amiens FC are suing Ligue 1 but they being supported by the city mayor & local government because relegation will effect the area's economy and attractiveness.

    I was reading an article on sportinglife about points per game etc which would keep the league how it is in the Champiionship but they also brought up other things like number of weeks in the top 6. But I agree, this can only lead to complication. What we want from 3/4 season is to finish it so that when 2020/21 starts that is the focus and no one is worrying about decisions before it. Everyone then starts on an equal-footing and knows what the new rules are.

    Gameweeks spent in the top-six:

    Fulham: 25
    Nottingham Forest: 25
    Preston: 25
    Swansea: 18
    Brentford: 16
    Bristol City: 13
    QPR: 4
    Derby: 2
    Millwall: 1
    Cardiff: 0
    Blackburn: 0


  23. #22
    Senior Doom Monger
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Vale of Belvoir
    Posts
    20,758

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    Money has been poisoning the game for years now.
    Finally the game is going to die.


  24. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    25,132

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by BryanRoy View Post
    That is exactly what is happening in Holland and France. Clubs have begun lawsuits.

    For example in France not just the Amiens FC are suing Ligue 1 but they being supported by the city mayor & local government because relegation will effect the area's economy and attractiveness.

    I was reading an article on sportinglife about points per game etc which would keep the league how it is in the Champiionship but they also brought up other things like number of weeks in the top 6. But I agree, this can only lead to complication. What we want from 3/4 season is to finish it so that when 2020/21 starts that is the focus and no one is worrying about decisions before it. Everyone then starts on an equal-footing and knows what the new rules are.

    Gameweeks spent in the top-six:

    Fulham: 25
    Nottingham Forest: 25
    Preston: 25
    Swansea: 18
    Brentford: 16
    Bristol City: 13
    QPR: 4
    Derby: 2
    Millwall: 1
    Cardiff: 0
    Blackburn: 0
    All these other stats are irrelevant though.

    Points per game will result in exactly the same league table as it currently stands, because we've all played the same amount of games. It ignores the fact some teams may have easier run ins, having already played their hard fixtures.

    Weeks in top six is irrelevant, Swansea have been 7th for bloody ages but they're not out of the play-off race because of that. It's based on points, not position, and they're one game away from being top six.

    If you really want to finish the season with play-offs and avoid legal suits then the only fair way of that is a some sort of super play-off comprised of all clubs that could make the play-offs done in such a way that weights the probability of success based on how high in the table you are. Something like:

    Sub-Play off 1: Birmingham vs Cardiff, Wednesday vs Blackburn, Reading vs Swansea, QPR vs Derby. Then winners of these ties play semis, then final, then one winner who progresses to next stage.

    Sub play off 2: Preston vs SPO1 winner, Bristol City vs Millwall - again winners go through.

    Sub play off 3: Brentford vs SPO2 winner, Forest vs Preston - winner goes through.

    Play-off final: Fulham vs SPO3 winner.


    I don't think that's feasible, or wanted, compared to the other options of delay indefinitely or null it.


  25. #24
    It's all about mid-table...
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wetherspoons
    Posts
    18,175

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    Money has been poisoning the game for years now.
    Finally the game is going to die.
    Yowv gorrit Cap.


  26. #25

    Default Re: Straight to Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    All these other stats are irrelevant though.

    Points per game will result in exactly the same league table as it currently stands, because we've all played the same amount of games. It ignores the fact some teams may have easier run ins, having already played their hard fixtures.

    Weeks in top six is irrelevant, Swansea have been 7th for bloody ages but they're not out of the play-off race because of that. It's based on points, not position, and they're one game away from being top six.

    If you really want to finish the season with play-offs and avoid legal suits then the only fair way of that is a some sort of super play-off comprised of all clubs that could make the play-offs done in such a way that weights the probability of success based on how high in the table you are. Something like:

    Sub-Play off 1: Birmingham vs Cardiff, Wednesday vs Blackburn, Reading vs Swansea, QPR vs Derby. Then winners of these ties play semis, then final, then one winner who progresses to next stage.

    Sub play off 2: Preston vs SPO1 winner, Bristol City vs Millwall - again winners go through.

    Sub play off 3: Brentford vs SPO2 winner, Forest vs Preston - winner goes through.

    Play-off final: Fulham vs SPO3 winner.


    I don't think that's feasible, or wanted, compared to the other options of delay indefinitely or null it.
    I know the law courts are a quirky place, but surely Brum currently in 16th winning that and going up could be challenged.

    Birmingham could also technically get relegated. If the FL sorted out the relegation in a similar way, Brum could be promoted and relegated at the same time.

    Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 02-05-20 at 11:20.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •