Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 352 of 408 FirstFirst ... 252302342350351352353354362402 ... LastLast
Results 8,776 to 8,800 of 10180

Default Re: The CoronaVirus MEGA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lefkasman View Post
    I really don't get shopping. I usually only go when I open the fridge door and there's nothing there.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
    Same, my wife does the food shopping and she gets most of my clothes

I do my Xmas shopping online while sat in the pub

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...virus-contract

Company that worked on vote leave and is linked to several Tories wins Coronvirus contract

Ale ape.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1965 View Post

Company that worked on vote leave and is linked to several Tories wins Coronvirus contract
    So, this is an area I find extremely interesting - as someone working in a Purchasing role.
    There's actually a whole policy document which the Government Procurement team would normally have to follow before awarding contracts, which features requirements to:-
    Publicly advertise for bidders.
    Publicly document the bidders, criteria for selection and decision.
    And also includes an appeal process for bidders who feel the have been unfairly deselected.
    You can read it here, if you're sad like me

However, the Government gave themselves powers to not bother with this process along with their other emergency pandemic powers.

In discussing this at the time it was passed along with my colleagues, I remarked that they would use these powers to fund their cronies. So far, we have two examples of this - the above and Dyson getting a contract to manufacture non-existent ventilators.
    There was also the consequence of incompetently sourcing useless PPE from Turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by congo_red View Post
    So, this is an area I find extremely interesting - as someone working in a Purchasing role.
    There's actually a whole policy document which the Government Procurement team would normally have to follow before awarding contracts, which features requirements to:-
    Publicly advertise for bidders.
    Publicly document the bidders, criteria for selection and decision.
    And also includes an appeal process for bidders who feel the have been unfairly deselected.
    You can read it here, if you're sad like me

However, the Government gave themselves powers to not bother with this process along with their other emergency pandemic powers.

In discussing this at the time it was passed along with my colleagues, I remarked that they would use these powers to fund their cronies. So far, we have two examples of this - the above and Dyson getting a contract to manufacture non-existent ventilators.
    There was also the consequence of incompetently sourcing useless PPE from Turkey.
    Our version of the Act on Aid for Entrepreneurs states that intervention purchases during an epidemic are not subject to anti-corruption regulations. It turns out that this was not an irrelevant entry, a colleague of the Minister of Health sold us masks without a certificate for a price several times higher than that available on the market, in one day he set up the company, got all the permits, sold the masks, the same day he received a million pounds. We bought dozens of respirators for twice the market price from the company that is owned by a guy who knows people from the government and used to trade in weapons and was on the UN blacklist. We bought bad quality tests from a colleague of government people for four times the market price. We sold professional medical masks for 2 pounds apiece, then the company that bought them from us sold them to EU countries for a few dozen pounds apiece. We bought several dozen tons of masks from China - they turned out to be worthless. Sounds familiar?

Where the Virus Is Growing Most: Countries With ‘Illiberal Populist’ Leaders

Brazil, Russia, Britain and the U.S. have something in common.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/02/b...gtype=Homepage

EU Public Procurement regulations were also relaxed on the 1st April. I’d be amazed if the same hadn’t happened in every affected country in the world. It’s a typical emergency response. The fact that they’re using firms that they’ve used before (and therefore, it’s fair to assume, that they trust) probably has less to do with cronyism and more to do with expedience.

As with all emergency legislation, there’s a danger it will survive long after the emergency has ended. There have been plenty of commentators sounding this exact warning - mainly on the right, and relating to the suspension of the rights to peaceful assembly. I think that’s a bit hysterical. Concern about the open door to cronyism less so, but it’s the kind of thing that has brought governments down before (or at least contributed to numerous downfalls). Though there’s obvious cause for vigilance, it should be noted that the U.K. system has been incredibly effective at preventing ministerial corruption through the ages. Long may that continue.

Last edited by Itsy-bitsy Bonatini Yellow Polkadot Bikini; 02-06-20 at 11:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsy-bitsy Bonatini Yellow Polkadot Bikini View Post
    The fact that they’re using firms that they’ve used before (and therefore, it’s fair to assume, that they trust)....
    This could be true, but one of these companies, the one that sold us the masks for a million pounds was set up on 30 March, on 30 March it obtained all the necessary permits, on 30 March it signed a contract with the Ministry of Health with a payment deadline of 31 March. The company was set up by a ski instructor (accidentally an acquaintance of the minister) and his wife and someone who had been trading cheese so far.

Quote Originally Posted by klinsi View Post
    This could be true, but one of these companies, the one that sold us the masks for a million pounds was set up on 30 March, on 30 March it obtained all the necessary permits, on 30 March it signed a contract with the Ministry of Health with a payment deadline of 31 March. The company was set up by a ski instructor (accidentally an acquaintance of the minister) and his wife and someone who had been trading cheese so far.
    Sorry, I was speaking to the UK rather than the Polish example. I fear the Polish system may be less resilient to corruption.

Floating in space.

The Wuhan virology institute need to atop blaming bat eaters, they have done that forever.

China can get fucked, lying commie bastards. Viral war.

Rant over.

The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin I keep sliding off to the side and the Devil makes good use of these hands of mine

J Spaceman (the real Spaceman).

If they are testing around 100,000 per day and only around 1,600 are testing positive, surely they aren't aiming the tests very well at people.

The Great British public bless em. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-52890608

The Great British public bless em. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-52890608

I consider myself anti-fascist (right on yeah), but I do have a blind-spot when it comes to litter louts. To the gulag with these fuckers.

I don't know where the news story came from that I watched last week, but one seaside tourist spot - Southend-on-Sea maybe - the vistors were shitting everywhere because there was no public toilets open.

-- It's our time. Do your job, give your best, and no regrets at the end!

Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    I don't know where the news story came from that I watched last week, but one seaside tourist spot - Southend-on-Sea maybe - the vistors were shitting everywhere because there was no public toilets open.
    That was Barry's lot in Skeg.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    That was Barry's lot everywhere .
    Ftfy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where's me hammer?

10-4

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

The Foam Hand

Self entitled wankers.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-avoid-40m-hit

More Tory corruption, this time by Jenrick. Will he face any consequences... what do you think?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-avoid-40m-hit

More Tory corruption, this time by Jenrick. Will he face any consequences... what do you think?
    No, he’s one of Boris’s cheerleading yes men. Hasn’t he already broken lockdown himself? Corruption and rules don’t apply to these sorts.

He will get the "utmost integrity" defence and that will give him a free pass.

Last edited by Redemption; 03-06-20 at 09:53.

Can't Re Member

If you say ‘utmost integrity’ and ‘transparency’ a lot you’re clearly telling the truth.

Oh FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    He will get the "utmost integrity" defence and that will give him a free pass.
    I read he admits he did wrong but there was no favouritism involved, honestly. That’s ok then. As a trained lawyer I’m sure that would hold up in court.

I’m not a trained lawyer obvs

You can do no wrong if you do it with the utmost integrity and let transparency shine its light on your misdemeanour.

15th June. Everyone is allowed in.
    Not everyone. There's a first list of countries (with a relatively clean epidemiological profile) from where people can freely travel to Greece from June 15. The UK will probably be in the second group, starting from July 1; I'm told British tour operators already sell holiday packages despite the fact that there's no official decision yet.

Unless all this changes with the first wave. Yesterday a plane landed from Qatar and 12 of the 90 passengers tested positive.

In other Greek news, here's a medical article co-written by the whole team advising the Greek government: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...017v2.full.pdf

Bottom line: a) Ro went from 2.38 to 0.3 with the lockdown; b) proper, and timely, lockdown measures contributed ca. 80% to the decline of transmission rate.