• Stalemate

4 8.89%
  • Paul Furlong

2 4.44%
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: Nottingham Forest vs QPR - Matchday 34

Where's me hammer?

Default Re: Nottingham Forest vs QPR - Matchday 34

Whilst not agreeing with Emmos out of there suggestion, you can get a player worth 5 million and not actually pay that amount...I'd have liked to have seen us push on but I think weve stagnated a little

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

People’s republic of Southwick, Sunderland

Quote Originally Posted by Buildabonfire1 View Post
    Be honest without naming any players and without any bias ( coming from someone who like Brett Williams because he had an XR2 ), how many of the current squad can cut it in the land of milk and honey ?
    Got to be realistic in today’s market 5 million gets you a couple of rocks and a sewage outflow.......maybe just maybe a European super league......let Liverpool, City etc chip and we can get back to a competitive league.....Forest would need somewhere between 100-200 million pounds investment just to be stable mid table club in the premier and that’s providing we’ve a stable management team

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Whilst not agreeing with Emmos out of there suggestion, you can get a player worth 5 million and not actually pay that amount...I'd have liked to have seen us push on but I think weve stagnated a little

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk
    Yeah you can sometimes. Look at Lolley for instance.

I think we've not pushed on too. I was hoping we'd get our Jan target and hit the ground running with them. But it's always a risk. A huge number of Jan signings don't work out right away. It's a risky window.

I think we got burned at the start of the season in home games, when we opened up a bit, and Sabri is now much more cautious and would rather keep the game close and hopefully pinch it, than go out and risk losing. Right decision? I don't know. But it's good to finally be involved at the right end of the table.

No idea why people are getting wound up over the signings debate.

We've had enough talent on the pitch to win every game since the transfer window shut.

The issue has been the players playing near their potential in only two of those games (plus one bent ref).

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Brett Williams, there's an odd career. Played nearly fifty times for one of the best sides with the best manager in the country. Played in the 92 League Cup Final against Man Utd. Released a year later and fell straight out of the Football League aged 25 never to return.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    Brett Williams, there's an odd career. Played nearly fifty times for one of the best sides with the best manager in the country. Played in the 92 League Cup Final against Man Utd. Released a year later and fell straight out of the Football League aged 25 never to return.
    Aye and when he fell out of football he done it in his Ford Fiesta xr2 , if he’d stayed another year he’d have had the new xr2i I’m certain......where did it all go wrong Brett

Wasn’t his nickname dusty Brett ?

All cars sound the same to me.

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stone's Mullet View Post
    The arrogance of it just insane.

We've been largely wank for two decades. The infrastructure at the club has been completely ignored for longer than that. Our income opportunities are terrible.

Yet we should be buying a £5m player every summer.

Madness. Times have changed in football. Having an average attendance of mid 20k per season (which it's largely been the past 20yrs) doesn't make you one of the wealthiest clubs in the league at all. It's a business now, under Marinakis we've finally recognised that and they're making serious efforts to help us catch up with others. But that's what we're doing, playing catch up just to try and level the playing field a bit more with other clubs, let alone compete with those who have experienced the big bucks recently.

We're a name in English football and we always will be based off previous success. But that doesn't bring money in really, in the main. It's something maybe we can exploit should be enter the big leagues again. But we're just an average 2nd division football club now.

The ignorance and arrogance that Emmerson just displayed is what often winds up a lot of fans of other clubs of a similar status to us.
    Good post.

Preston have an illustrious history. So do Blackburn. So do Huddersfield. So do we. The past is the past. It means next to fuck all in terms of trying to get promoted this season.

Call it red tinted specs, Forest arrogance, or being stuck in the past, but some don't seem to understand the reality of where we are in 2020.

In 2020 we have incomes which are in the lower half of the Championship. We are attempting to compete with clubs who pay out three times as much in wages and who get paid more than our total income in parachute payments.

It's public knowledge that we offered Grosicki the same deal as WBA, but he's never going to come here when he can join WBA is he?

That is what we have to compete with. Wake up and smell the Championship coffee.

Stand Firm And Strike Hard

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    Good post.

Preston have an illustrious history. So do Blackburn. So do Huddersfield. So do we. The past is the past. It means next to fuck all in terms of trying to get promoted this season.

Call it red tinted specs, Forest arrogance, or being stuck in the past, but some don't seem to understand the reality of where we are in 2020.

In 2020 we have incomes which are in the lower half of the Championship. We are attempting to compete with clubs who pay out three times as much in wages and who get paid more than our total income in parachute payments.

It's public knowledge that we offered Grosicki the same deal as WBA, but he's never going to come here when he can join WBA is he?

That is what we have to compete with. Wake up and smell the Championship coffee.
    It does beg the question of why we would risk £12 million odd on a single player though. Even if he was a regular 20 goal a season striker that would still be a gamble that we shouldn't be taking if it's limiting our investment elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Buildabonfire1 View Post
    Be honest without naming any players and without any bias ( coming from someone who like Brett Williams because he had an XR2 ), how many of the current squad can cut it in the land of milk and honey ?
    Samba, Worrall, Cash, Lolley definitely. Watson was a PL player, but is probably too old for it now. Grabban will still score with the right service, he is like Defoe in that regard. Carvalho is probably more suited to the Prem than the more physical demands of the Championship. Ribeiro will probably be fine too.

The issue we have is the same as this season, in that we have a big squad, but the depth has no strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    It does beg the question of why we would risk £12 million odd on a single player though. Even if he was a regular 20 goal a season striker that would still be a gamble that we shouldn't be taking if it's limiting our investment elsewhere.
    Just an opinion.

But I think off the back of Wolves, I wonder if we got caught up in it, with Mendes clients. Joao, Diogo and Dias. Thought we'd invest in one, they'd rocket us up to the Prem, and we'd buy the other two and it'd be a smart gamble.

Obviously hasn't panned out that way and I think we've realigned our business model to be sensible now and learned from the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Statto View Post
    Samba, Worrall, Cash, Lolley definitely. Watson was a PL player, but is probably too old for it now. Grabban will still score with the right service, he is like Defoe in that regard. Carvalho is probably more suited to the Prem than the more physical demands of the Championship. Ribeiro will probably be fine too.

The issue we have is the same as this season, in that we have a big squad, but the depth has no strength.
    I was lambasted for offering my opinion that we need a minimum of ten new players ......quality players ......I think the current squad has 5 who given the time to show ....they’d cut it .....football now is a 22 man game minimum .

Not that type of player

It's over 5 years. Hardly a big expense. It was an investment in a very talented young player. And how much are his wages? Far less than a British player would have demanded.

People get hypnotised by transfer fees when its wages which are the big expense - £29m in the last accounts.

The likes of WBA dont need to pay large transfer fees when they can snap up players on several times the wages we can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Statto View Post

We can all have a guess and I have an opinion on those who could and couldn't handle it and who'd not only handle it but impose themselves.

However, Burnley, Leicester, Bournemouth, Watford, Brighton and Sheff Utd have all shown players will surprise you.

I remember Simon Francis coming to the CG with Bradford, and there was a big deal made about him because he was a Notts lad, and he was fucking woeful. Still not sure hoe he's a Prem player, but he has been for sometime now.

Some would surprise us for good and bad reasons. Some would raise their game and others would flatter to deceive. Hard to say until the opportunity arises.

But if we do get there, I hope we don't just go out and sign a new squad of players. You need to keep the core together, and a few players to freshen it up, but not dismantle the team cohesion.

It's over 5 years. Hardly a big expense. It was an investment in a very talented young player. And how much are his wages? Far less than a British player would have demanded.

People get hypnotised by transfer fees when its wages which are the big expense - £29m in the last accounts.

The likes of WBA dont need to pay large transfer fees when they can snap up players on several times the wages we can afford.
    All player purchases are amortisised over the length of contract so that's a bit of a red herring. We could snap players up on massive wages on the same basis, Carvalho on a free at the end of his contract and give him £50k a week would be comparable.
    I think that, if the will was genuinely there, we could be strengthening our squad.

Just an opinion.

But I think off the back of Wolves, I wonder if we got caught up in it, with Mendes clients. Joao, Diogo and Dias. Thought we'd invest in one, they'd rocket us up to the Prem, and we'd buy the other two and it'd be a smart gamble.

Obviously hasn't panned out that way and I think we've realigned our business model to be sensible now and learned from the experience.
    I suspect that the Carvalho deal was a sweetener for Mendes with a view to doing more business with him for Oly but we'll never know.

We can all have a guess and I have an opinion on those who could and couldn't handle it and who'd not only handle it but impose themselves.

However, Burnley, Leicester, Bournemouth, Watford, Brighton and Sheff Utd have all shown players will surprise you.

I remember Simon Francis coming to the CG with Bradford, and there was a big deal made about him because he was a Notts lad, and he was fucking woeful. Still not sure hoe he's a Prem player, but he has been for sometime now.

Some would surprise us for good and bad reasons. Some would raise their game and others would flatter to deceive. Hard to say until the opportunity arises.

But if we do get there, I hope we don't just go out and sign a new squad of players. You need to keep the core together, and a few players to freshen it up, but not dismantle the team cohesion.
    Personally I’m tired of the same old same old with the upper echelons of football ......best season I’ve had following Forest was 06-07 ....real football..real grounds...real fans...( not counting Brian’s last season ) .....I’d hate to go up an£ bounce back down in one season ...

I suspect that the Carvalho deal was a sweetener for Mendes with a view to doing more business with him for Oly but we'll never know.
    Agreed. Although i think it was with a view to doing business with both Oly and us.

I don't think we're being used as a tool for Oly. They don't splash megabucks either.

They're very well ran.

Not that type of player

All player purchases are amortisised over the length of contract so that's a bit of a red herring. We could snap players up on massive wages on the same basis, Carvalho on a free at the end of his contract and give him £50k a week would be comparable.
    I think that, if the will was genuinely there, we could be strengthening our squad.
    Focussing on that one transfer is a red herring. The fee is the equivalent of a 2.5m player for 5 seasons. And the wages?

Even if we say that signing was poor investment, and I dont believe it will turn out to be, it doesn't alter the fact that some fans think we're a big club who can throw our weight around and sign who we want.
    The reality is far short if that.

Focussing on that one transfer is a red herring. The fee is the equivalent of a 2.5m player for 5 seasons. And the wages?

Even if we say that signing was poor investment, and I dont believe it will turn out to be, it doesn't alter the fact that some fans think we're a big club who can throw our weight around and sign who we want.
    Was it a £16m ebitda loss last accounts? Only Brum were worse.

Consistently £20m before that?

Delighted we're still in business at all.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

It depends entirely on our ambitions, personally I like the Championship and really don't care for promotion beyond the elation of achieving it but I'm certain that if they owners wanted to invest more there are ways of doing it.

The Foam Hand

It depends entirely on our ambitions, personally I like the Championship and really don't care for promotion beyond the elation of achieving it but I'm certain that if they owners wanted to invest more there are ways of doing it.
    Same.

Dare I say, if we became a regular Premiership club I’d probably end up watching another lower league club. I’m as Forest as they come but can’t embrace the bullshit of the Prem.

Players are amortised over the length of the contract for financial reasons (unless you are Direby who have a more controversial method), but clubs typically pay 50% on signature and 50% a year later(though it varies), it is for financial reasons the amortisation is used and it does not relate to cash payments. It is unusual to get the deal we have which is a fee being paid over 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by Wred View Post
    Players are amortised over the length of the contract for financial reasons (unless you are Direby who have a more controversial method), but clubs typically pay 50% on signature and 50% a year later(though it varies), it is for financial reasons the amortisation is used and it does not relate to cash payments. It is unusual to get the deal we have which is a fee being paid over 5 years
    It is unusual to pay £12 million for potential in the championship too.

Senior Doom Monger

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Same.

Dare I say, if we became a regular Premiership club I’d probably end up watching another lower league club. I’m as Forest as they come but can’t embrace the bullshit of the Prem.
    Radcliffe Olympic - a neat little ground, a team of young lion-hearts, and a great pub at the Chestnuts for post match celebration and analysis.