Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Re: Summer 2020 Transfer Window...

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    If we had Birmingham's, Charlton's or Milwall's recruitment teams then we'd have players like Charlton, Birmingham or Milwall and we'd be mid table with you complaining our recruitment could, and should be better than shopping around looking only for bargins.
    Thank you! Thank You! THANK YOU!!! (for pointing out the blindingly obvious.)

And will people please stop quoting him? Makes the block function moot.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stone's Mullet View Post
    We'd need a LB to push Yuri. Preston is a good footballer but he's not there right now.

Not convinced by Smith as back-up. If Samba goes down and we have to rely on Smith, that's lost points for sure.
    How often are keepers out for though? Last keeper to get injured for us was Doris, for a couple of games? If you're really unlucky and lose Samba to a broken leg or something then the chances are it happens in or close to a window and you move quickly to replace.

Is Preston any worse than Bong? Could he not do a job for 10 minutes as a sub or in a mid-week game if absolutely necessary?

I think we should keep to a small squad and add quality rather than bodies.

.k I m
    I m u mm

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    How often are keepers out for though? Last keeper to get injured for us was Doris, for a couple of games? If you're really unlucky and lose Samba to a broken leg or something then the chances are it happens in or close to a window and you move quickly to replace.

Is Preston any worse than Bong? Could he not do a job for 10 minutes as a sub or in a mid-week game if absolutely necessary?

I think we should keep to a small squad and add quality rather than bodies.
    I just think it would be a risk that's not worth taking, personally.

Preston would get exposed more than Bong I suspect, yes.

I don't want a massive squad either. 23/24 with some young lads is ideal. But we need someone who could play a sustained spell if needed.

If we had Birmingham's, Charlton's or Milwall's recruitment teams then we'd have players like Charlton, Birmingham or Milwall and we'd be mid table with you complaining our recruitment could, and should be better than shopping around looking only for bargins.
    I was going to reply to his comment, but I think you hit the nail on the head there. There's a reason the likes of Hogan and Green didn't end up at promotion challenging clubs.

Billy Davies long lost lovechild.

The only reason we're so high in the table is because of the academy players, & AK insisting on bringing Grabban, Lolley & Watson here

Our recruitment team are utter shit. OK Summer, 2 awful January's.

Time for them to go. (I am of course being sarcastic).

Last edited by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos; 16-02-20 at 14:09.

I wish we could have a recruitment team that identify players who can have a huge influence on our season like Samba, Yuri, Sow... if only.

Fuck it, let's replicate Charlton and Birmingham. Who wants a promotion push anyway.

Billy Davies long lost lovechild.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stone's Mullet View Post
    I wish we could have a recruitment team that identify players who can have a huge influence on our season like Samba, Yuri, Sow... if only.

Fuck it, let's replicate Charlton and Birmingham. Who wants a promotion push anyway.
    That's a poor over-simplification of what I've said.

Ultimately it's the same posters making the same lame excuses as to why the likes of Charlton & Brum beat us to better players. When the Summer signings are shit? It's be Fazza's fault or something.

Erik makes a fair point regards the team overall, but we should be doing better in the players we signed. A handful of good signings from a plethora of them is no excuse. How anyone can be anything other than disappointed by Jan's signings I've no idea.

I'm concerned about trusting the current setup with the Summer transfers.

Last edited by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos; 16-02-20 at 14:12.

Back onto the topic of the Summer 2020 transfer window.

First order of business would be to give Watson and Ameobi a 1 year contract extension. They are useful players to have in the squad and seem like good characters to have in the dressing room (Watson especially), even if we do upgrade in the summer I think both are well worth keeping around the squad.

I wouldn't keep Dawson on as a player, but I'd love him to join the coaching staff. Like with the likes of Cohen and Reid, he's a good person to have around the club, a good example for our younger players and I am sure a man with his experience has a lot to offer.

Bridcutt, Benalouane (if he is out of contract, seems a bit if a mystery if he got an extension or not) and Steele should be released when their contracts expire.

None of the loanees should be kept on.

I rate Carvalho, but he just doesn't fit into Sabri's system. If Sabri is still here, it's a waste of time and money keeping Carvalho and we should look to recoup some money for him.

The bomb squad for 2020 should include Pantilimon, Hefele, Jenkinson (too injury prone), Yates (I like the lad, but I just don't think he's good enough), Darikwa and Clough.

As for signings, we will need to sign another right back if we don't get promoted as Cash will almost certainly be sold.

We also need 2 centre backs to cover/compete with Worrall or Figueiredo (unless Benalouane did get an extension or we have someone good in the academy who is a capable 4th choice).

Midfield is where the big changes should be. We need a younger version of Watson, capable cover/competition for Sow and someone better than Silva (who isn't bad, but has hardly set the world alight either).

We need a quality winger to compete with Ameobi and Lolley.

Upfront I think we are okay if we are still in this league; we won't get better than Grabban at this level and Walker and Da Costa are fine as back up/ bench options. Obviously we will need to spend big money on a quality striker if we do go up though.

To summarise, we need: a right back (if Cash goes), 1 or 2 centre backs, 3 midfielders, a winger and a striker (if we go up). 6-7 signings in and up to 12 players out.

That should leave us with:

Keepers: Samba, Smith and whoever is decent in the academy.

Right back: Cash (or a replacement if he goes) and Richardson
    Left back: Ribeiro and Bong (yeah I know he had a shocking debut, but I'm not writing him off just yet)
    Centre back: Worrall, Figueiredo plus two more (which could be new signings, Benalouane if he is still around or any capable lads from the academy)

Wingers: Lolley, Ameobi, Mighten and a new signing.
    Midfield: Watson, Sow, Silva plus 3 new signings.

Forwards: Grabban, Walker and Da Costa (plus a new signing if we get promoted).

I suspect Ameobi will be looking for a 3yr deal.

Risky one. Because will he then coast? We all know he can add something a bit different, but I think having the carrot dangled of needing to earn a new deal helps with that. I'd be tentative over giving him a long term deal. But a club somewhere will do.

Quote Originally Posted by RobboRobson View Post
    Iím going for what I do know and what we have currently got.

We have a very good starting 11 especially when Sow is fit as Sky kept raising during the game against the Baggies if we fail to go up as a minimum we need cover for Sow and a replacement for Watson who has been brilliant this season but age is against him.

Going to the bench we have Tyler and Carvalho...will Carvalho be sold in the summer?

The rest of the bench apart from Yates (Maybe) just arenít good enough.

While Adomah on loan at Cardiff probably wonít be back they seem to love him over there

Either way realistically I think promotion could be a disaster as we havenít got a big enough squad of decent Championship players yet which hopefully the 12 or so good players we have got can be used by Lamouchi as a building block for next season and a push for Automatic promotion.
    We could always do what we did last time we were promoted to the premier league - sell one half of the most potent strike force in the championship, watch the other half go on strike and cross our fingers until inevitable relegation is followed by 20 years in the wilderness

To be honest, if we go up, it'll be anyone's guess what we'd do.

My thoughts would be we look to add 5 or so, not huge changes. Keep a core together, add bits of quality/mobility to introduce. Maybe some of the better Championship players. So Sabri keeps the spirit there, look to use the momentum and adrenaline for a good start. Then re-assess in December what we need to maybe add a couple more in the Jan. Wholesale changes would be a bad idea.

If we don't go up. Again, we would want to keep the core. Look to move on more than we bring in. 4 or so real key additions and we'd be strong to go again.

Still wonder if we'll go back in for Ibrahim Sissoko of Niort in the summer. He apparently didn't want to leave his club mid-season.

Has scored 13 in 23. His club are 3rd bottom and have scored 27 in total in Ligue 2.

Same agent as Brice Samba.

Supposedly want Perry Ng from Crewe Alexandra. Who are back to their traditional best of being a passing football team loaded with their academy players.

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclus...-want-perry-ng

Wonder if it's agent talk. Simply because of his age. Unless we're thinking ahead for Daws' likely retirement and Yohan maybe moving on. But I think he plays RB mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanRoy View Post
    Supposedly want Perry Ng from Crewe Alexandra. Who are back to their traditional best of being a passing football team loaded with their academy players.

Hope we sign him and give him the no.2 shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanRoy View Post

Right back and their captain. Isn't going to come here to sit on the bench so would put a question mark over Cash.

Charlie Kirk's probably also worth a look as a left winger inside forward.

Impressive member

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Makes me laugh how some people are saying we should have signed Scott Hogan on the back of him having a decent start at Birmingham.

Prior to joining Birmingham, he'd scored 12 league goals in 3 years since leaving Brentford. People would have moaned like fuck if we had signed him.
    I get what you're saying, it's just weird how nearly every loan we make tends to turn out shit, whereas others - several whom are our direct competitors - seem to loan players who, after several games, are making impacts.
    Arguably we are no better off after the most crucial transfer window in the last decade. If Charlton is anything to go by, we are much weaker.

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

Right back and their captain. Isn't going to come here to sit on the bench so would put a question mark over Cash.
    If we are still in this league next season, Cash will be sold. Might be on a list of targets we have just in case that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Cortez the Killer View Post
    I get what you're saying, it's just weird how nearly every loan we make tends to turn out shit, whereas others - several whom are our direct competitors - seem to loan players who, after several games, are making impacts.
    Arguably we are no better off after the most crucial transfer window in the last decade. If Charlton is anything to go by, we are much weaker.

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk
    Hard to say whether our transfer business in January is bad or not. I'll wait until I have seen more of them play before writing them off. None of them are going to be first choice, so at worst we'll be as we were before January.

Best served cold

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    Makes me laugh how some people are saying we should have signed Scott Hogan on the back of him having a decent start at Birmingham.

Prior to joining Birmingham, he'd scored 12 league goals in 3 years since leaving Brentford. People would have moaned like fuck if we had signed him.
    People did moan like fuck when his name was bought up as a potential signing last season. Specifically, some of the people now moaning that we should have signed him, were saying we shouldn't then based on his injury record.

"I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a c**k like a burmese python, and the mind of a f**king scientist" - Kenny Powers

Quote Originally Posted by incapable hulk View Post
    People did moan like fuck when his name was bought up as a potential signing last season. Specifically, some of the people now moaning that we should have signed him, were saying we shouldn't then based on his injury record.
    Hindsight on football forums is hardly a new thing.

Best served cold

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos View Post
    The only reason we're so high in the table is because of the academy players, & AK insisting on bringing Grabban, Lolley & Watson here

Our recruitment team are utter shit. OK Summer, 2 awful January's.
    Grabban
    Lolley
    Samba
    Sow
    Ribeiro
    Watson
    Figueiredo
    Silva

Also signing Robinson on a free and selling him for a fee to make a profit.

They've put together a squad that has put us in the top 6 consistently for the first time in a decade, on the back of seasons of consistent improvement, and managed to get money for players that came in on free transfers. Recruitment is a very broad umbrella.

Last edited by incapable hulk; 18-02-20 at 13:59.

Best served cold

Hindsight on football forums is hardly a new thing.
    Neither is people talking shit on football forums. We all do it as few of us genuinely know the inner workings of our clubs.

Last edited by incapable hulk; 18-02-20 at 13:45.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos View Post
    Chaps Millwall have just signed Ryan Woods, Birmingham Scott Hogan, Bristol Wells, Charlton Green, etc. etc.

The way some of you talk is like we're a newly promoted L1 side who sits 24th.

I get beating top sides like WBA to signings might be tricky, but Andre Green plays on the wing, and has scored 2 already from there for Charlton. Are we so feeble that we can't compete with Charlton now?
    Sorry for the alte reply, I don't tend to read this part because it's mostly bollocks but....

They're starting every game, something we couldn't promise them even if we were in for them.
    Woods doesn;t replace Sow or Watson in our set-up, wuold he be happy to be backup?
    Scott Hogan plays in a front two at Brum, he';d be expected to start on the bench here and replace Grsbs, as would Wells.

Green is the only one you'd say could displace a starter, in Ameobi but it wouldn't be every game, again, would he be happy to play half the games?

I think our recruitment could have been better but we simply couldn't risk FFP and probably couldn't give assurances needed to the players you highlighted, even if they were targeted.

"Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

Here, there & anywhere that will have me..

I think FFP is a red herring as far as our recruitment goes. We seem happy enough to spend if itís the right player and they fit in the squad dynamic.
    The work ethic and togetherness of the squad is paramount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The beast is stirring yet again!! :devil:

it has nothing to do with football or NFFC

Up-Front

Where I get mild disappointment from our recruitment strategy is my inability to come up with a position on the pitch where theres genuine competition for a first team shirt.

We've proven to have eleven players currently able to hold their own in a play off position, how long can they maintain it without being pushed for their place.