Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: The Functional Approach

Default The Functional Approach

Given the club's history, Forest fans want to see fast flowing, attacking football. At the moment we aren't getting it, although we do currently sit top of the Championship form table:

https://www.soccerstats.com/formtabl...eague=england2

Our squad is better suited to a more functional game, although there have been recent signs of the training ground work done by SL bearing fruit in a bit more attacking flair.

Over the last 15 years in particular, we've seen some godawful shite being served up and, given the current situation, the attritional method is surely the correct one to follow as a means to an end.

We can worry about adding flair and really expensive signings after we've scraped into the Premier League and stayed up for a year to get the finances sorted.

Last edited by Green Jumper; 23-01-20 at 12:40.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Forum Tactician

Default Re: The Functional Approach

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jumper View Post
    Given the club's history, Forest fans want to see fast flowing, attacking football. At the moment we aren't getting it, although we do currently sit top of the Championship form table:

https://www.soccerstats.com/formtabl...eague=england2

Our squad is better suited to a more functional game, although there have been recent signs of the training ground work done by SL bearing fruit in a bit more attacking flair.

Over the last 15 years in particular, we've seen some godawful shite being served up and, given the current situation, the attritional method is surely the correct one to follow as a means to an end.

We can worry about adding flair and really expensive signings after we've scraped into the Premier League and stayed up for a year to get the finances sorted.
    Think its a pertinent subject given the fallout on the Hucknall tram & around me in the ground tends to be how fucking badly we've played yet picked up more points, is that a contradiction or are we riding our luck.

Said it before, I'm a results man, I give a fuck how we've achieved points as long as we get them, although always happy to get a bit more forensic on here.

Went to the game last night with a totally different mindset, rather than sit & watch us as a perceived 4th place team underperforming as an attacking unit, watch us as a bits & pieces team doing a job on the opposition. That positive mindset helped, whilst totally fucked off about dropping the points, if we'd have come away 1-0 to the good, Id have been happy with the performance & result.

Moral being, dumb down the expectation we're going to flower into a crack counter attacking unit that runs through teams.

Last edited by MASE; 23-01-20 at 13:26.

Nothing wrong with how we are playing. We just need to replace Silva with someone more creative for home games and get a better wide option than Ameobi/Adomah.

Away from home we are superb, we just need to bring in a little bit of quality to turn home games like last night into wins.

We are in a good position and now it's down to the club to provide our fantastic manager with the tools he needs to take us to the next level.

Hopefully we get the Da Costa and Boulaya deals done and bring in a quality number 10. If we do that I think we are in for an exciting end to the season.

Miserable bastard

We're winning games, in a decent league position and the stadium is full or almost full every week.

If it ain't broke...

Not that type of player

I like the way we play. We pass the ball when we have it. We defend firmly. We strike hard when we get a chance.

It's good as it is, certainly effective, and I can see how small improvements can make the team even stronger by adding more attacking threat.

I've learned over the years that many football supporters enjoy following a club far more than they enjoy the sport of football. Some don't actually like the game unless it conforms to a very narrow set of expectations - attacking, passing, lots of goals, or whatever, but then they complain unless the team is winning. It's like supporters of an international cricket team being unhappy unless they're being entertained with boundaries, but then complaining when the batters all got themselves out for a low score and lost the match.

I have fans around me who constantly shout for the team to "gerrit forward" or "push forward", and I think, yes and if you were the coach we'd be 5-1 down by now. Or last night, "stop passing it around the back 3, gerrit forward". Hmm maybe there's a reason they are passing it between themselves in the back 3...after all they keep doing it...it's almost as if they've been instructed to do that for some reason...

I know I'm in the minority in enjoying the tactical battles, but results are always the bottom line, and no one can argue with the effectiveness of our approach this season.

Last edited by Ravi; 23-01-20 at 13:21.
    Stand Firm And Strike Hard

Billy Davies long lost lovechild.

Tbh I think given a top 6 winger & attacking midfielder & we'd see more flowing footy anyway. Still functional, but with additional moments of creative quality which make folk appreciate the functional stuff more anyway.

Most frustrating thing is when we "put the brakes on" to go crab-like when we get to just outside the box. Put an Antonio, Reid, Geddy MK1 or even McGugan in there & we'd go up another level entirely.

Sage

This argument about style has always pissed me off. Style is not important really if we’re being honest. Football is a game not entertainment, I agree it’s a game that’s entertaining but it is not an entertainment activity.

So as football is a GAME all tactics are valid. So if we are defensive or attacking it dosen’t bother me just as long as we show quality. What I have seen this year is we have managed to get to where we are not showing that much quality in my opinion. I’m ecstatic to be where we are and Lamouchi deserves mega plaudits. I still think it could all go tits up quite easily. Saying that enjoying the ride and if lamouchi can do this now with Ameobi, Yeates, Worrall etc then imagine what we would do with genuine quality. We are making money as well so it’s exciting times.

Miserable bastard

Quote Originally Posted by EmmersonForest4 View Post
    This argument about style has always pissed me off. Style is not important really if we’re being honest. Football is a game not entertainment, I agree it’s a game that’s entertaining but it is not an entertainment activity.
    I don't entirely agree, there is certainly an element of fan bases that go to matches to be entertained. However, in our case, it's not relevant. As an argument, it would hold more weight if we were playing to a half-full stadium. We're not.

Forum Tactician

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos View Post
    Tbh I think given a top 6 winger & attacking midfielder & we'd see more flowing footy anyway. Still functional, but with additional moments of creative quality which make folk appreciate the functional stuff more anyway.

Most frustrating thing is when we "put the brakes on" to go crab-like when we get to just outside the box. Put an Antonio, Reid, Geddy MK1 or even McGugan in there & we'd go up another level entirely.
    I think the key to our evolution on the counter is looking at players prepared to take advantage of the free 10yds of space in front of them in that neutral zone. We have a team full of players who want to unconditionally pass the football & very few who want to travel forwards with it. For a passing team, our movement is woeful, if we had a few players prepared to draw men in, then space would open up for others.

Far too often we see players offloading under no pressure to a team mate thats covered, then back it goes. Passing the buck is a large part of the reason so many attacks break down. Someone needs to take responsibility.