Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 84

Thread: Sergio Oliveira

  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    4,279

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    I also would like to see us in for Ryan Woods if he is available for a decent price, good player.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #52
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    86,371

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    Keep the discussion civil please.

    Using offensive and derogatory terms towards other posters will get your post removed, and if you don’t knock it the fuck off, you’ll get a visit from Herr B. Hammer.

    OK?

    „I believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialism“

    — Joe Strummer

  4. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,397

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    Without wanting to labour the Bouchalakis point, that was probably his selling point. What did for him was his ability to cope with a lack of pace & physicality in an unforgiving league. I think we underestimate how difficult it is to adjust.

    Essentially Lamouchis dragged some really average players to fourth position, I think we've got away with it so far, Id prefer we add proven quality going forward, particularly with the managers ethos so clear.

    The leagues shit this year, this is our best chance in years.
    Proven quality would be nice but it's a difficult & expensive market. Either way, that's what we lack in CM.

    Agree on Bouch although he might've fared better had he played alongside Sow instead of Vaughan and various other lightweights.


  5. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Nottingham/Lincoln
    Posts
    7,338

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    Quote Originally Posted by Heffing Psycho! View Post
    That Baptiste looks absolutely class from the little I've seen of him.
    I would LOVE us to sign Shandon Baptiste.


  6. #55

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    Quote Originally Posted by MXJ View Post
    I would LOVE us to sign Shandon Baptiste.
    It's a bit depressing to think that we won't even be looking at players like him, or the others Baggio suggested, with this recruitment team.

    He looks the type of player who's game wouldn't need adapting much for the step up either.

    His goal t'other day wasn't bad either......




  7. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    25,293

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    Woods would be a really good signing. Bit of a joke he can't get in the Stoke team.

    .k I m
    I m u mm

  8. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    6,911

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    I agree that you're looking for proven quality in this window rather than raw talent and potential (which is why you're reportedly trying to change Semedo -talent, but...- with a midfielder like Oliveira).

    But the term proven quality means different things to different people, I guess. For me it simply means a combination of good physical, technical and mental attributes, and the experience to fully exploit them. For others it means someone proven in Championship football. I don't get it. It's the same game. Yes, the Championship is a very competitive and harsh league, but this only means that players need better physical, technical and mental attributes than many other leagues. There's nothing metaphysical about it.

    It's interesting that Bouchalakis was mentioned. Bouchalakis failed at Forest not because he was unproven in the Championship, but because he did not, at the time, had what it would take to make it there. He was slower than necessary, less robust than necessary (due to successive seasons with injuries), and unaccustomed to playing next to not very technical players. You may remember that I had warned you about his deficiencies, although I was one of the few Olympiacos fans who liked him. This season he's deservedly a starter here, ahead of the talented but still unproven Camara, whom Sheffield United (a Premier club) reportedly want to buy for a sum upwards of 15m euros. He's proven his worth, and if you had a midfielder like Guilherme next to him, I'm sure he'd be much better in the Championship too. He's had almost no injuries, despite totalling 2082 minutes of play so far and often playing twice a week.

    Oliveira is 27 and has been playing for six years at top level, in La Liga, Ligue One, and for the Greek champion (being one of their best players). Prior to this season, he never lost more than 4 matches due to injury. I fail to understand why he's unproven.


  9. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    10,389

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    Quote Originally Posted by GreeksBearingGifts View Post
    Oliveira is 27 and has been playing for six years at top level, in La Liga, Ligue One, and for the Greek champion (being one of their best players). Prior to this season, he never lost more than 4 matches due to injury. I fail to understand why he's unproven.
    Cos his forrin duck.


  10. #59
    Where's me hammer?
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    50,801

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    Wonder what Geoff Thomas is doing

    Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk


  11. #60
    Account removed
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,139

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Wonder what Geoff Thomas is doing

    Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk
    Still riding his bike for charity, I'd imagine.


  12. #61

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    Quote Originally Posted by GreeksBearingGifts View Post
    I agree that you're looking for proven quality in this window rather than raw talent and potential (which is why you're reportedly trying to change Semedo -talent, but...- with a midfielder like Oliveira).

    But the term proven quality means different things to different people, I guess. For me it simply means a combination of good physical, technical and mental attributes, and the experience to fully exploit them. For others it means someone proven in Championship football. I don't get it. It's the same game. Yes, the Championship is a very competitive and harsh league, but this only means that players need better physical, technical and mental attributes than many other leagues. There's nothing metaphysical about it.

    It's interesting that Bouchalakis was mentioned. Bouchalakis failed at Forest not because he was unproven in the Championship, but because he did not, at the time, had what it would take to make it there. He was slower than necessary, less robust than necessary (due to successive seasons with injuries), and unaccustomed to playing next to not very technical players. You may remember that I had warned you about his deficiencies, although I was one of the few Olympiacos fans who liked him. This season he's deservedly a starter here, ahead of the talented but still unproven Camara, whom Sheffield United (a Premier club) reportedly want to buy for a sum upwards of 15m euros. He's proven his worth, and if you had a midfielder like Guilherme next to him, I'm sure he'd be much better in the Championship too. He's had almost no injuries, despite totalling 2082 minutes of play so far and often playing twice a week.

    Oliveira is 27 and has been playing for six years at top level, in La Liga, Ligue One, and for the Greek champion (being one of their best players). Prior to this season, he never lost more than 4 matches due to injury. I fail to understand why he's unproven.
    Think that's a fair summary, and.....if Olivera hadn't played naff all games this season.....wouldn't be as much of a concern. But you have to put it into context. Regardless of how suited he is to the Championship, it still is an entirely different league to those you mention. It's way more intense & physical, and even those suited to it still often have to make the step up.

    Now also factor into the equation that his fitness isn't going to be sparkling anyway due to his lack of game time, and suddenly that's 2 step ups he's got to make. At a time we want folk to be hitting it from the off.

    And as I said earlier, Silva's suited to this League. But it's taken him several months to find his feet properly.

    There's only 20 games left (which is another reason why you add in the Summer). It'll prob take him 4-5 games just to get match fit even if he's brill. It's still liveable, but I can understand the concerns.


  13. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Nottingham/Lincoln
    Posts
    7,338

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos View Post
    Think that's a fair summary, and.....if Olivera hadn't played naff all games this season.....wouldn't be as much of a concern. But you have to put it into context. Regardless of how suited he is to the Championship, it still is an entirely different league to those you mention. It's way more intense & physical, and even those suited to it still often have to make the step up.

    Now also factor into the equation that his fitness isn't going to be sparkling anyway due to his lack of game time, and suddenly that's 2 step ups he's got to make. At a time we want folk to be hitting it from the off.

    And as I said earlier, Silva's suited to this League. But it's taken him several months to find his feet properly.

    There's only 20 games left (which is another reason why you add in the Summer). It'll prob take him 4-5 games just to get match fit even if he's brill. It's still liveable, but I can understand the concerns.
    He has, tbf, played the majority of his minutes in December which would suggest he is close to full fitness for the team he currently plays for.


  14. #63
    Impressive member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    12,444

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    Woods would be a really good signing. Bit of a joke he can't get in the Stoke team.
    They can't see their Woods for Mclean.

    Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk


  15. #64

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    Quote Originally Posted by MXJ View Post
    He has, tbf, played the majority of his minutes in December which would suggest he is close to full fitness for the team he currently plays for.
    The majority of a 148 league min isn't much. If Sow isn't fit, then he could be asked to play 270 min in 7 days.

    What's funny is that folk have used the "he had no pre-season" excuse for Carvalho all year.

    Well if that makes such a difference, why are they happy to bring someone in who's in a similar position?


  16. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    10,532

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    He's foreign. Must be exciting.


  17. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Little Italy, Nottingham.
    Posts
    11,655

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    His match-readiness concerns aside, if there's one thing we've learned in our last two home matches (particularly against Wigan), it's that we need to keep the ball much better in trying retain control of and/or see out games. This lad appears to have good technique and passing ability, so if those qualities can be aligned with the physical requirements that this league demands then he could be a useful acquisition.


  18. #67
    Sage
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chester
    Posts
    8,560

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    We have Silva and Carvalho for number 10. If he is better than semedo and replace like for like then fair enough. However what we need mostly is a player that will fill in for Sow and Watson. We need an utter workhorse there and someone who gets round the pitch. That is not an Oliveira type player though.


  19. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,005

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    If we're going to do player comparisons this guy seems more akin to a Guedioura than a Silva or Carvalho. We've missed Gueds passing range this season so I'm all for this.


  20. #69
    Nottingham's dirty secret
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,402

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    Quote Originally Posted by Liaminho View Post
    If we're going to do player comparisons this guy seems more akin to a Guedioura than a Silva or Carvalho. We've missed Gueds passing range this season so I'm all for this.
    I miss Gueddy.

    Mercenary son of a bitch but had Prem level quality in abundance.....on his day!!


  21. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Nottingham/Lincoln
    Posts
    7,338

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    Quote Originally Posted by EmmersonForest4 View Post
    We have Silva and Carvalho for number 10. If he is better than semedo and replace like for like then fair enough. However what we need mostly is a player that will fill in for Sow and Watson. We need an utter workhorse there and someone who gets round the pitch. That is not an Oliveira type player though.
    He’s somewhere between a box to box and a deep playmaker sort - imagine Watson rather than Silva.

    Which we could do with a backup for, if Watson gets crocked we would be severely lacking.


  22. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    25,293

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    Quote Originally Posted by MXJ View Post
    He’s somewhere between a box to box and a deep playmaker sort - imagine Watson rather than Silva.
    Sounds more like Silva than Watson. Watson has about a small radius of where he's allowed to go which centres around 5 yards behind the halfway line.


  23. #72

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    Sounds more like Silva than Watson. Watson has about a small radius of where he's allowed to go which centres around 5 yards behind the halfway line.
    He was stepping up and pinching a bit on Wed, but I do largely agree.


  24. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Twitter: @Mark_Searby
    Posts
    13,518

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos View Post
    Think that's a fair summary, and.....if Olivera hadn't played naff all games this season.....wouldn't be as much of a concern. But you have to put it into context. Regardless of how suited he is to the Championship, it still is an entirely different league to those you mention. It's way more intense & physical, and even those suited to it still often have to make the step up.

    Now also factor into the equation that his fitness isn't going to be sparkling anyway due to his lack of game time, and suddenly that's 2 step ups he's got to make. At a time we want folk to be hitting it from the off.

    And as I said earlier, Silva's suited to this League. But it's taken him several months to find his feet properly.

    There's only 20 games left (which is another reason why you add in the Summer). It'll prob take him 4-5 games just to get match fit even if he's brill. It's still liveable, but I can understand the concerns.
    Several months for Silva to find his feet?
    C'mon Alf, you know that isn't true. He was finding his way by early October and didn't even get starts for the first handful of games.
    Silva did take time to get up to speed but it wasn't several months.


  25. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    10,389

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    If he plays in a similar way to Neves we'd have a sort of charity shop, discount Wolves blueprint in the centre of midfield; more often than not you see them playing 3 central midfielders since they switched to 2 up front.

    Oliveira supposedly plays Neves style according to this Portuguese journo, Silva has a similar stature to and plays a bit like Joao Moutinho (wears the same number as well) and then usually Wolves use Dendonker or Saiss as their midfield muscle and we have Sow. They just play their brain/Watson of their team a bit further back than we do in Coady.


  26. #75

    Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

    He looks classy on the vids, and he seems to be a level above a lot of the lads we've signed from the Portuguese market, in that he's been playing first team competitive football. 3 caps for Portgual isn't to be sniffed at either.

    With someone like him though, proof can only ever be in the pudding.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •