Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sergio Oliveira

Default Re: Sergio Oliveira

Oliveira can very well play next to Watson and behind Silva. So he is a backup for Sow. You obviously lose in strength and tackles, but Oliveira is hardly lazy or a softy. And you gain a lot in good passing game and a midfielder effective on the box.

He can also play next to Sow instead of Watson. You'll obviously lose in defensive resolve, since he likes to move forward, but Sow, Oliveira, and Silva can collectively prove effective defensively.

Completely different than Bostock (who's a deep lying playmaker without defensive skills).

Yes, all this does not leave room for Carvalho, but he's used either as a sub or on the left by SL anyway.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by GreeksBearingGifts View Post
    I disagree.
    You are Bipolar like Ameobi? lolol

Billy Davies long lost lovechild.

Can he do all these things without needing 3-4 months to get up to speed & settle in the club/country/league though?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Last edited by Heffing Psycho!; 03-01-20 at 12:55.

So presumably our deep lying central midfield is going to be split into two categories:

A: Watson, Silva, Oliveira
    B: Sow, Semedo, Yates

And you can basically line up with any of these:

GK
    RB CB CB LB
    A
    RW A B LW
    S

GK
    RB CB CB LB
    A
    RW B B LW
    S

GK
    RB CB CB LB
    B
    RW A B LW
    S

GW
    RB CB CB LB
    B B
    RW Carvalho LW
    S

GW
    RB CB CB LB
    A B
    RW Carva LW
    S

The latter of which sort of covers the concern about losing Sow (Silva and Watson holding, Carva in front, 4-2-3-1). Not ideal, but it can suffice.

Last edited by MaxiRobriguez; 03-01-20 at 13:08.
    .k I m
    I m u mm

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    So presumably our deep lying central midfield is going to be split into two categories:

A: Watson, Silva, Oliveira
    B: Sow, Semedo, Yates

And you can basically line up with any of these:

GK
    RB CB CB LB
    A
    RW A B LW
    S

GK
    RB CB CB LB
    A
    RW B B LW
    S

GK
    RB CB CB LB
    B
    RW A B LW
    S

GW
    RB CB CB LB
    B B
    RW Carvalho LW
    S

GW
    RB CB CB LB
    A B
    RW Carva LW
    S

The latter of which sort of covers the concern about losing Sow (Silva and Watson holding, Carva in front, 4-2-3-1).
    That's numberwang!

Nottingham's dirty secret

If he can't replace Sow this would be a pointless signing. Unless a Sow replacement is being lined up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos View Post
    Can he do all these things without needing 3-4 months to get up to speed & settle in the club/country/league though?

I am sure he can. He is a high quality player.

If you have this kind of questions though, for any player, then you reduce your market to just the domestic championship market. Which is expensive and most likely you won't get decent players from competitors but only their leftovers in a high price.

You have to take some risks. Calculated but risks.

This is January window you know. It's not easy to make transfers, teams have their plans, players are settled and transfers are expensive.

If you want to add quality indeed then you need to think out of the box, otherwise you'd better not do anything on the market

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fossil View Post
    If he can't replace Sow this would be a pointless signing. Unless a Sow replacement is being lined up as well.
    I don't believe this has a big possibility to happen.
    More likely he will join Olympiakos, we need such a player more than Forest

Last edited by karteo; 03-01-20 at 13:44.

Quote Originally Posted by karteo View Post
    I am sure he can. He is a high quality player.

If you have this kind of questions though, for any player, then you reduce your market to just the domestic championship market. Which is expensive and most likely you won't get decent players from competitors but only their leftovers in a high price.

You have to take some risks. Calculated but risks.

This is January window you know. It's not easy to make transfers, teams have their plans, players are settled and transfers are expensive.

If you want to add quality indeed then you need to think out of the box, otherwise you'd better not do anything on the market
    Which, despite the xenophobic claims, is why I often reduce signings to the British leagues, and emphasized the importance of making these signings in the summer like Luongo

Now we're, again, looking for solutions to problems we created by not sorting things sooner.

Like you say calculated risks. If Bostock goes back but this kid comes in and does nothing then we've not lost anything. So fair play. But again, it's a bit hit & hope.

You won't find a club in this league that has gaps in the squad they'd like to improve and have tried with some players that just haven't worked out, British or foreign.

There's no guarantee that British based signings will slot in easier either. Hence why Samba's better than Pantillimon, Chema and Figgy better than Benalouane and Hef, Silva's better than Bostock...

If our Greek posters are saying Oliveira is of a similar quality to Silva then it would make sense to get him in because it would allow us to ship Bostock back and be improved in terms of quality and it might push Yates down the pecking order in which case he could go elsewhere and develop on loan.

Karteo's right - calculated risks (that you can recover from if they don't go well) are the way forward.

Impressive member

I think taking a foreign player on loan in January for the remaining 5 months of the season is very different to starting the season with foreign players who may have had preseason games and have time to acclimitise both physically and culturally. Hence the adage 'can they do it on a wet Tuesday night in February?', as the climate and amount of games in England can be a shock to players from the continent unused to the rigours of the football in this country. I can understand this rationale. I think it's far less important in the summer transfer window though.

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

It's all about mid-table...

Quote Originally Posted by Rzarecteh View Post
    Every signing is a risk. I find the notion that foreign players are more of risk just ignorant.

When we have players like Ribeiro, Figuerido, Sow, Samba, Silva all performing to a high level in this division you would have though people would get the message by now.
    Dont care whether they're blue, yellow, green or purple. When the pressure's on I want to see MEN with BOLLOX.

Forum Tactician

Lets hope this aint the new Bouchalakis.

If Im honest, going back to Portugal for another midfielder wouldnt be the preferred option. Watsons proved how important experience is to that role.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    You won't find a club in this league that has gaps in the squad they'd like to improve and have tried with some players that just haven't worked out, British or foreign.

There's no guarantee that British based signings will slot in easier either. Hence why Samba's better than Pantillimon, Chema and Figgy better than Benalouane and Hef, Silva's better than Bostock...

If our Greek posters are saying Oliveira is of a similar quality to Silva then it would make sense to get him in because it would allow us to ship Bostock back and be improved in terms of quality and it might push Yates down the pecking order in which case he could go elsewhere and develop on loan.

Karteo's right - calculated risks (that you can recover from if they don't go well) are the way forward.
    Silva took months to get firing, and is a perfect example of how even players with the right attributes still have to adapt to the rigours of the Championship.

People talk about "calculated risks", well to me signing players who are familiar with the league & job required is part of that calculation. No ones saying British works, imports don't, but there's more chance of people with experience in the league coming to grips with the job required there quicker.

And these new bods won't have preseason to suss the game out either.

Come season end I'll guarantee you that, despite having a lot of imports in the squad, the ones who have most minutes & goals are those who have been British based for some time.

Last edited by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos; 03-01-20 at 16:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymondo Ponte' View Post
    Dont care whether they're blue, yellow, green or purple. When the pressure's on I want to see MEN with BOLLOX.
    Exactly Raymondo,

and they aren't exclusive to British players!

If he can play deep in central midfield and pass the ball forward with quality then he's definitely the type of player we need.

We need seasoned British based players that can hit the ground running like Grabban did, not scoring in his first 6 games.

Impressive member

We need seasoned British based players that can hit the ground running like Grabban did, not scoring in his first 6 games.
    As observed above, that's a luxury that can be offorded if signed in the summer that isn't there if signed in January.

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

How the fuck did you get unblocked? Is it coz I re-installed Tapatalk?

Anyway, yeah, Lewis Grabban, 17 goals last season. Great example of how buying British fails

Anyway, back on block.

I agree with Alf that players with experience of this league are more likely to hit the ground running but on the other hand it's highly unlikely we'll be able to prize a quality cm away from a league competitor in January. If a Luongo or Woods were realistically available it'd be ideal. As they're not then it's either a punt on the lower leagues, a Premier reserve/youth loan or somebody from a foreign league who in all likelihood won't have played every game.

They're all a gamble and may all fail to adapt to the Champ straight away or alternatively could be great from the offset (Sow/Samba). Personally I don't see too many quality CM's in League One or loans from the Prem that would improve us so looking in the foreign leagues for gems seems our best option, for this position at least.

I think Woods would be available, Stoke aren't playing him and they need to offload some of their squad. That said, he's probably on a fair wage. Etebo looks to be going on loan to Spain, I'd take him here as well as a better version of Semedo.

In League one - Whiteman at Donny, Brannagan/Baptiste at Oxford, Fraser at Burton - although he's more of an attacking player - should all be being looked at by a side like ours.

Quote Originally Posted by It's Baggio View Post
    I think Woods would be available, Stoke aren't playing him and they need to offload some of their squad. That said, he's probably on a fair wage. Etebo looks to be going on loan to Spain, I'd take him here as well as a better version of Semedo.

In League one - Whiteman at Donny, Brannagan/Baptiste at Oxford, Fraser at Burton - although he's more of an attacking player - should all be being looked at by a side like ours.
    That Baptiste looks absolutely class from the little I've seen of him.

Forum Tactician

If he can play deep in central midfield and pass the ball forward with quality then he's definitely the type of player we need.
    Without wanting to labour the Bouchalakis point, that was probably his selling point. What did for him was his ability to cope with a lack of pace & physicality in an unforgiving league. I think we underestimate how difficult it is to adjust.

Essentially Lamouchis dragged some really average players to fourth position, I think we've got away with it so far, Id prefer we add proven quality going forward, particularly with the managers ethos so clear.

The leagues shit this year, this is our best chance in years.

Last edited by MASE; 03-01-20 at 17:40.

In that case a £4 million pound bid for Ryan Woods sounds about right. Get on it Forest.