Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: Pitch width?

Emptyredcup

Default Pitch width?

Hi Guys,
    Im surprised more has not been made of the width that we have lost from the playing surface at the WFCG?
    We have that quite wide area in front of the dugouts that was not there once upon a time (Before Billy I think?) and the view from the Bridgeford End seems to confirm that the pitch does not cover the full width of the Trent End as it used to.
    Surely a narrower surface hinders us as the home team from playing wide and (hopefully)stretching defences,making it easier for teams who can defend (Cardiff) to shut us out?
    Looking at older footage there did seem to be more space to spray the ball about and put visitors under pressure. I wonder what the logic was to narrow the playing surface was? If it was to improve the quality of corner kicks then it surely failed!
    I know a good team should be able to fashion a victory on a Subbuteo pitch, but fine margins and all that?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Pitch width?

Seem to remember a discussion in the past regarding pitch width a the tactics of various managers. Way over my head.

Seems to be rather a modern thought. I'll bet way back no one even knew or bothered with the pitch size regulations. You just tailored the pitch size to the proximity of the stands.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

IIRC: Billy shrunk it, although it wasn't that small before to keep it tight, then had it a little larger the two playoff seasons. McClaren had it at it's widest and as you have to keep it for the season, it led to the defensive problems thereafter. It's been back to nearly BD dimensions for awhile.

"Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

Back in the day, the CG pitch was second only to Maine Road for playing area.

By "relegation battle", do you mean 7th, 12th or 14th?

Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

The Foam Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Flagman View Post
    Back in the day, the CG pitch was second only to Maine Road for playing area.
    Maine Road always seemed a massive pitch, didn’t realise ours was once close.

i remember billy shrunk the field width to try prevent opposition wingers having too much joy down our flanks and mcclaren widening it back in anticipation of having wingers to make use but never got that chance since he got royally screwed by the owner on false promises.

The Forest pitch has, traditionally, been wide to accommodate wingers.

Billy’s wingless wonders were the exception rather than the rule.

Based on Cardiff performance we can't bloody cross a ball anyway so what does it matter?!

Harry Bassett claimed he reduced the width of the CG pitch to stop the opposition attacking down our flanks. Whatever happened to letting the opposition worry about us for a change?

It's all about mid-table...

We should mek it wider, it'd suit Carvz game.

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Maine Road always seemed a massive pitch, didn’t realise ours was once close.
    There was a table published in the Forest match day programme in the mid 80s with the length width and area of all the 1st Division pitchers.

Wish I'd kept it.

Senior Doom Monger

Quote Originally Posted by Flagman View Post
    There was a table published in the Forest match day programme in the mid 80s with the length width and area of all the 1st Division pitchers.

Wish I'd kept it.
    Grammar and spelling police here: I don't think First Division association football teams have the need of a pitcher.
    I think that pitchers are required in American Rounders.

Senior Doom Monger

Is width the same as girth?
    If so I am reliably informed the wider the better!

The width has been narrowed to protect the hallowed ground where Robbo roamed. No one since has been fit to grace it