Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 528

Thread: To chant or not to chant?

      
  1. #176
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    839

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    Would never sing it myself.

    But in a football crowd, would not waste a breath about other fans singing it.

    Fairly positive, affirmative statement about women, albeit from a male sexist viewpoint.

    Good luck with anyone trying to stamp it out in a heavy-handed way.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #177
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Mixer
    Posts
    34,864

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Well, not quite.

    Yes, joking about certain taboo subjects might be accepted but the key here is only by people who explicitly want to hear those jokes.

    If, for example, you go and see Frankie Boyle, you know you’re absolutely going to get a comedy show from which no subject is forbidden, and many of his jokes are absolutely brutal. But that’s your explicit choice.

    At a Football Match, you’ve paid your money to watch a group of men kicking a ball around in some semblance of order.

    I’ve never met anyone who goes to watch Nottingham Forest purely for the acerbic comedic wit displayed by many of the club‘s supporters?

    There’s a subtle, but important, difference there.
    I think you're missing nuance too.

    If you go to watch Frankie Boyle thinking you're going to watch a man telling wholesome jokes then you are either naive or have been misinformed.

    Equally, anyone going to a match thinking they've paid to watch a football being kicked around in a semblance of order is either naive or has been misinformed.

    It only takes a second to score a goal.

  4. #178
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Mixer
    Posts
    34,864

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joao CarvAndy!ho View Post
    It's a bit like Brexit made it more acceptable to some to be racist. It's not how it's meant but how some took it.

    I'll sing the chant but I'll defend equal rights for everyone.
    A bit like Brexit made it more acceptable for people who voted remain to dump their inner hatred on the other half of the population. It wasnt how it was meant but it gave some a green light to behave in that way.

    Last edited by Ravi; 07-10-19 at 23:12.

  5. #179
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The very black holes of my mind.
    Posts
    5,450

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post

    Equally, anyone going to a Forest match thinking they've paid to watch a football being kicked around in a semblance of order is either naive or has been misinformed.
    FTFY


  6. #180
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The very black holes of my mind.
    Posts
    5,450

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    A bit like Brexit made it more acceptable for people who voted remain to dump their inner hatred on the other half of the population. It wasnt how it was meant but it gave some a green light to behave in that way.
    As someone who voted remain, I just want to say I don't hate you guys, in fact I love you and have a hug waiting for you, if you homophobic gammons don't feel too uncomfortable with that...


  7. #181
    Sexual Tyrannosaurus
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    42,789

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    A bit like Brexit made it more acceptable for people who voted remain to dump their inner hatred on the other half of the population. It wasnt how it was meant but it gave some a green light to behave in that way.
    Yeah, they're bellends too.

    "Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

  8. #182
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    On the Brexit Border
    Posts
    1,089

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    A bit like Brexit made it more acceptable for people who voted remain to dump their inner hatred on the other half of the population. It wasnt how it was meant but it gave some a green light to behave in that way.
    Dear God, have we moved on to Brexit now? Is nothing sacred anymore?

    I don’t know about dumping ones inner hatred on the other half of the population.

    I voted remain but I play golf regularly with my brother who is a rabid Brexiteer. If all I was thinking about was beating the shite out of him the red mist would have me so blinded that I wouldn’t win a hole.

    Get some perspective, dear boy.


  9. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In a tophat.
    Posts
    13,950

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    Their is sexism in football because there is sexism in society.

    'Tits' and 'Fanny' are a metonym for woman, which in tne contezt are set out, like 'Forest', as established within the song as being there for a bit of fun, assumingly for the male footballing public of 'Nottingham'.

    When the chant is delivered I guess some women supporters will be reminded that some men there, maybe many, still believe in no snatch at the match, they won't be demeaned by the peurile language but by the broader sentiment it represents about the status of women supporters.

    And, broadly, what's been established is those women don't have a right to raise the chant as an issue because the football really belongs to us blokes.

    If we were to sum it up, we could just say those two hours on a Saturday belong to the working man.

    And that takes us back to the fact there is sexism in football because there is sexism in society.

    But football is a part of society, so footbal a legitimate place to challenge it.

    Liberation for women, that's what I preach.


  10. #184
    Can't Re Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    6,587

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    Their is sexism in football because there is sexism in society.

    'Tits' and 'Fanny' are a metonym for woman, which in tne contezt are set out, like 'Forest', as established within the song as being there for a bit of fun, assumingly for the male footballing public of 'Nottingham'.

    When the chant is delivered I guess some women supporters will be reminded that some men there, maybe many, still believe in no snatch at the match, they won't be demeaned by the peurile language but by the broader sentiment it represents about the status of women supporters.

    And, broadly, what's been established is those women don't have a right to raise the chant as an issue because the football really belongs to us blokes.

    If we were to sum it up, we could just say those two hours on a Saturday belong to the working man.

    And that takes us back to the fact there is sexism in football because there is sexism in society.

    But football is a part of society, so footbal a legitimate place to challenge it.

    Liberation for women, that's what I preach.
    As ever Redemption you say it so much betterer than what I do.

    Oh FFS.

  11. #185
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    194

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    Oh well, all good things must come to an end....


  12. #186
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    STH NORMANTON
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    The original chant never mentioned tits and fanny.
    It was taken from a Wonderloaf bread advert at the time.
    Nottingham was full of fun fight and bitter was the original chant


  13. #187
    Billy Davies long lost lovechild.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    38,927

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    Quote Originally Posted by OLDMANRED View Post
    The original chant never mentioned tits and fanny.
    It was taken from a Wonderloaf bread advert at the time.
    Nottingham was full of fun fight and bitter was the original chant
    No sexism? Check
    No racism? Check
    No intercontinental LGBT welterweight transgender SJW slating? Check

    Looks like we should all just get back to swagging real ale and kicking the fuck out of each other to keep her happy

    Serious point behind this is that football has come a long way in a short period of time. I think we should be grateful for that and allow things to keep progressing at a more natural pace, rather than trying to force them heavy handedly.

    The chant will change in time, as it already has once. Fair play to her raising it, but all it's really gonna do is put the dampner on what's turning out to be a good season with a good atmosphere. Of all the times we don't want to go telling the crowd to stop singing, it's now.

    Let's embrace the atmosphere & positivity which is currently present. Not pick apart holes in it because of our own personal POVs


  14. #188

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    Way, women have equality in western society. Sorry to burst anyone’s bubble.


  15. #189
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    5,415

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    Apparently the club are taking any online abuse seriously.


    https://twitter.com/nottmtails/statu...518989827?s=21


  16. #190
    Where's me hammer?
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    47,347

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    I don't really care about the chant as I cant be fucked to sing but that supporters "trust" thing really does suck balls.... fans supposedly talking on the behalf of others, what a crock of shit, I hate all them kind of things by definition as untrustworthy as politicians and any kind of union. Dogooders that in the end are only in it for themselves.

    Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

    Last edited by Barry; 08-10-19 at 07:44.

  17. #191

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    The supports trust Twitter is a interesting read. They’re adamant they speak on behalf of Forest even though they only have 1200 members. Also from reading Twitter they claim to have a lot of influence over the club and are helping with redevelopment plans of the new stand. Why does such a small group have so much influence over the club?


  18. #192
    tel - 0898 12 11 74
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    East Stand above the away fans
    Posts
    1,066

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    Bring back Goodbye Horse, it never hurt anybody.Although I suppose the bloke who said goodbye might be offended as it brings back bad memories.


  19. #193
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    24,041

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    Quote Originally Posted by siforest65 View Post
    Apparently the club are taking any online abuse seriously.


    https://twitter.com/nottmtails/statu...518989827?s=21

    They’ll just change the two words.
    Remember when they banned songs with swearing in them and A Block used to sing “you’re poo and you know you are” to the away fans.


  20. #194
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Mixer
    Posts
    34,864

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Red bandit View Post
    Dear God, have we moved on to Brexit now? Is nothing sacred anymore?

    I don’t know about dumping ones inner hatred on the other half of the population.

    I voted remain but I play golf regularly with my brother who is a rabid Brexiteer. If all I was thinking about was beating the shite out of him the red mist would have me so blinded that I wouldn’t win a hole.

    Get some perspective, dear boy.
    I didn’t raise Brexit. Merely pointing out there are plenty of haters on both sides.


  21. #195
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    183

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
    Their is sexism in football because there is sexism in society.

    'Tits' and 'Fanny' are a metonym for woman, which in tne contezt are set out, like 'Forest', as established within the song as being there for a bit of fun, assumingly for the male footballing public of 'Nottingham'.

    When the chant is delivered I guess some women supporters will be reminded that some men there, maybe many, still believe in no snatch at the match, they won't be demeaned by the peurile language but by the broader sentiment it represents about the status of women supporters.

    And, broadly, what's been established is those women don't have a right to raise the chant as an issue because the football really belongs to us blokes.

    If we were to sum it up, we could just say those two hours on a Saturday belong to the working man.

    And that takes us back to the fact there is sexism in football because there is sexism in society.

    But football is a part of society, so footbal a legitimate place to challenge it.

    Liberation for women, that's what I preach.
    This is more eloquent than I could ever have put it. Thanks.

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk


  22. #196
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Mixer
    Posts
    34,864

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    Quote Originally Posted by siforest65 View Post
    Apparently the club are taking any online abuse seriously.


    https://twitter.com/nottmtails/statu...518989827?s=21

    It didn’t take long did it. Remember the feel good factor at the beginning of October?
    Happy days.


  23. #197
    Billy Davies long lost lovechild.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    38,927

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    Quote Originally Posted by football post View Post
    Bring back Goodbye Horse, it never hurt anybody.Although I suppose the bloke who said goodbye might be offended as it brings back bad memories.
    Goodbye Horses......I'm Flying Over You..........Like Buffallo Billy in his transgender, politically correct, human skin-wearing Silence of the Lambs analysis suite murder-den........

    Buffallo Billy.jpg

    ......Full of tits, man-fanny & the Billy!


  24. #198
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In a tophat.
    Posts
    13,950

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Forest 89 View Post
    The supports trust Twitter is a interesting read. They’re adamant they speak on behalf of Forest even though they only have 1200 members. Also from reading Twitter they claim to have a lot of influence over the club and are helping with redevelopment plans of the new stand. Why does such a small group have so much influence over the club?
    Because they're organised and United, and their aims broadly align with the club's.


  25. #199
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    STH NORMANTON
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    I understand the sheep in the Derbyshire hills have been in touch with our club regards the Sheep shaggers chant.
    They would like it known they would never enter in any sexual activity with Derby fans and would like the chant stopped as it is tarnishing their reputation


  26. #200
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    24,041

    Default Re: To chant or not to chant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    It didn’t take long did it. Remember the feel good factor at the beginning of October?
    Happy days.
    I wonder if Bexon will bring back the gun towers in each corner of the stadium? Good days they were, two match bans for persistent standing and unsavoury chants.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •