Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 97 of 98 FirstFirst ... 478795969798 LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,425 of 2430
  1. #2401
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    LDN
    Posts
    2,373

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    Slightly jealous to see WBA have Grosicki on the bench, not going to lie.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #2402
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    83,947

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
    Slightly jealous to see WBA have Grosicki on the bench, not going to lie.
    That’s what you can do when you get an additional £100m of parachute money over three seasons, on top of your regular commercial income.

    „I believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialism“

    — Joe Strummer

  4. #2403
    Miserable bastard
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo
    Posts
    25,857

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    Aah, parachute payments. The ultimate prize money for abject failure.


  5. #2404

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    Covering Robinson's 40k+ p/w wages and a 7 figure loan fee too.

    It's easy to play Football Manager and claim we should be signing the same lot, but it's damn hard to compete at that level.


  6. #2405

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    Quote Originally Posted by congo_red View Post
    Aah, parachute payments. The ultimate prize money for abject failure.
    Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.


  7. #2406
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    83,947

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    I might suggest to my employers, that they institute a new policy, that If and when we completely bollocks-up a project, that the relevant Project Manager is rewarded with a bonus for the next three years equivalent to 50% of his salary.

    That’s got to work!


  8. #2407
    Miserable bastard
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo
    Posts
    25,857

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    Quote Originally Posted by Listen 'ere young man View Post
    Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
    Pretty hard to love a dude with less money than the next dude though.


  9. #2408
    oopsy daisy!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    On a longship close by
    Posts
    17,399

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    So whilst we're all slagging off our January business is it worth observing that when we made the changes to bring on 2 of those 'signings' we were 2-1 down against the League leaders and came back to draw 2-2?


  10. #2409
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    So whilst we're all slagging off our January business is it worth observing that when we made the changes to bring on 2 of those 'signings' we were 2-1 down against the League leaders and came back to draw 2-2?
    Also, how about that Grosicki? He comes on and not five minutes later, bam! westbrom get equilized. Evidence of shit recruiting clearly. According to some standards anyway.


  11. #2410
    Where's me hammer?
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    49,379

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    So whilst we're all slagging off our January business is it worth observing that when we made the changes to bring on 2 of those 'signings' we were 2-1 down against the League leaders and came back to draw 2-2?
    The only influence I can think they had on the game is Matty Cash thinking "I ain't clipping this in for them clowns to fuck it up" and he just smashed it.

    They are, were and will continue to be shite all three of them. If we are going two up front late on I'd have chucked that Mighten on up top with Grabs and told him not to stop running for the 10 minutes hes on there. Ameobi is 10 times the player that DJ player is and Semedo is gash.

    Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk


  12. #2411
    Billy Davies long lost lovechild.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    42,526

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    That’s what you can do when you get an additional £100m of parachute money over three seasons, on top of your regular commercial income.
    Or limit what you're able to spend on players + wages by tieing 3m/year (roughly 60k/wk) up in a player who can't make the bench).


  13. #2412
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    24,545

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    I might suggest to my employers, that they institute a new policy, that If and when we completely bollocks-up a project, that the relevant Project Manager is rewarded with a bonus for the next three years equivalent to 50% of his salary.

    That’s got to work!
    You jest, but if you replace the word "project" with "fund" in the above sentence then it's an accurate reflection of the finance industry.

    .k I m
    I m u mm

  14. #2413
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    24,545

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos View Post
    Or limit what you're able to spend on players + wages by tieing 3m/year (roughly 60k/wk) up in a player who can't make the bench).
    This just shows how difficult it is for clubs like us without PL revenue, because the majority of players that people who are unhappy with our recruitment actually wanted were in the same sort of cost range.

    The route to success in this league for us has always been down the buy cheap, hope they're decent, sell them on route, and crucially stick with a manager and squad for many years so that we're not spending half the season gelling every year.

    Because our success will be determined by our weaker-on-paper team having a 100% understanding of each other, belief in the manager and what he's doing and a desire for the club to be better than it is. We can't financially compete against those who have access to parachute payments so there's no point trying just to sign "the best" players, we have to beat them in another way.


  15. #2414
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Arnold
    Posts
    76

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    Really hope we don't live to regret the biggest window in a decade ultimately being a failure. Top 2 was possible this season with the inconsistencies of both Leeds and WBA. Playoffs should have been absolutely nailed down in January but now we are looking over our shoulders nervously.

    I worry that we actually got weaker in the window. We lost Adomah who is playing a role at Cardiff, Robinson and Chema who were both solid backups (understanding there was value with both). We signed pretty poorly it appears.


  16. #2415
    Billy Davies long lost lovechild.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    42,526

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    Diakaby
    Bong
    Da Costa

    Wow.


  17. #2416
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    24,545

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    The accounts released today show quite clearly that the club was not in a position to "go for it" in January without falling foul of FFP which would have limited our ability to make transfers in summer at a point whereby we really could have used that ability (ie, end of contract bosmans, longer negotiating window).

    I know everyone is disappointed with the January window but the reality is the club is a business and it's bound by regulations within the game.

    The failure wasn't this window, the failure was the massive increase in spending under Karanka which only gave us a 6th-place-at-best squad. We were left with a bloated squad but still with quality gaps, but we'd used all the money already. We now need to recover from that, and it means tight purse strings now and it'll likely mean more sales in the summer.


  18. #2417
    Impressive member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Arkham Asylum
    Posts
    12,106

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    The accounts released today show quite clearly that the club was not in a position to "go for it" in January without falling foul of FFP which would have limited our ability to make transfers in summer at a point whereby we really could have used that ability (ie, end of contract bosmans, longer negotiating window).

    I know everyone is disappointed with the January window but the reality is the club is a business and it's bound by regulations within the game.

    The failure wasn't this window, the failure was the massive increase in spending under Karanka which only gave us a 6th-place-at-best squad. We were left with a bloated squad but still with quality gaps, but we'd used all the money already. We now need to recover from that, and it means tight purse strings now and it'll likely mean more sales in the summer.
    If only Sabri had been in charge when we spunked all those millions on players for Karanka.
    It feels like we've married a beautiful divorcee whose previous husband forced her into so much anal sex that her arsehole is now hanging out.

    Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

    Last edited by Cortez the Killer; 03-03-20 at 13:56.

  19. #2418
    Where's me hammer?
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    49,379

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    Club should have just gone balls deep in January, got up and worried about it later like Leicester Bournemouth and QPR.

    Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk


  20. #2419
    Nottingham's dirty secret
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,372

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    I mean........I know we perhaps only had a few mill to spend as well as the potential for a few loans but there's no denying that the scouting team did an absoloutely abysmal job in January.

    Benefit of hindsight I know, but it beggars belief that they watched games featuring Bong and Diakhaby this season and decided, with all of their expertise, that they had what we needed to kick on for top 2.


  21. #2420
    Miserable bastard
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo
    Posts
    25,857

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fossil View Post
    I mean........I know we perhaps only had a few mill to spend as well as the potential for a few loans but there's no denying that the scouting team did an absoloutely abysmal job in January.

    Benefit of hindsight I know, but it beggars belief that they watched games featuring Bong and Diakhaby this season and decided, with all of their expertise, that they had what we needed to kick on for top 2.
    Absolutely - in fact, you'd think knowing we had so little to spend would have driven us to be more careful with it?


  22. #2421
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    499

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    Those that said we had a good January need to be named and shamed.


  23. #2422
    Miserable bastard
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo
    Posts
    25,857

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Forest 89 View Post
    Those that said we had a good January need to be named and shamed.
    Go ahead.


  24. #2423
    Billy Davies long lost lovechild.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    42,526

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    The accounts released today show quite clearly that the club was not in a position to "go for it" in January without falling foul of FFP which would have limited our ability to make transfers in summer at a point whereby we really could have used that ability (ie, end of contract bosmans, longer negotiating window).

    I know everyone is disappointed with the January window but the reality is the club is a business and it's bound by regulations within the game.

    The failure wasn't this window, the failure was the massive increase in spending under Karanka which only gave us a 6th-place-at-best squad. We were left with a bloated squad but still with quality gaps, but we'd used all the money already. We now need to recover from that, and it means tight purse strings now and it'll likely mean more sales in the summer.
    Whilst I agree with the point mate, we did spend 2m on Da Costa. I think that could have been spent better for Jan tbh.

    What Barry says might not be everyone's cup of cha, but for us to go up the chances are we will have to overspend at some point, so I agree with him to a large degree.

    It's all about situational timing to me really. As a betting man yourself, I'm sure you know that if your playing Texas Hold 'em you can spin everything in your favour by going all in at the right time.

    We went all in with a pair of 7's pre-flop under AK. We should have waited for an Ace High 4 of a Kind post flop, which to me was 3rd & 2pts off top.


  25. #2424
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.
    Posts
    11,253

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Forest 89 View Post
    Those that said we had a good January need to be named and shamed.
    Hahahahaha, come on then, do it.....


  26. #2425
    oopsy daisy!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    On a longship close by
    Posts
    17,399

    Default Re: January 2020, an important window

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Forest 89 View Post
    Those that said we had a good January need to be named and shamed.

    No matter how bad January was in terms of Nottingham Forests recruitment it will never ever be as bad as September 2018 was for this forum.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •