Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 157

Thread: The ascent of Leicester City

      
  1. #51
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    24,697

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    I didn't know any Leicester fans my age where I lived because of the era, and we 10 miles from Nottingham, 15 from Leicester. It's was all Forest with a few obligatory Liverpool fans and one or two choosing Everton.

    But there were one or two older blokes in the villages who went to Filbert Street. And we played in Leicestershire football leagues, so teams we played against were Leicester fans. I bet there's as many Leicester as Forest fans there now.

    Derby didn't get a mention.
    Around here it’s a real mixed bag, loads of Forest and Mansfield, quite a few Derby and Leeds, some Notts and the Sheffield clubs, then the usual Man United and Liverpool.
    I know a few old Man City and Chelsea fans as well but they’ve supported them since the 70’s.
    Credit due most watch their teams, it’s only really United and Liverpool that attract the plastics.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #52

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    Also remember when Warnock was taking County up, Leicester won at Meadow Lane towards the end of the season with Kevin 'Rooster' Russell which helped them stay up. Leicester fans spilled on to the pitch for both goals, and the game was delayed. My Dad said that's typical Leicester for you. He never seemed very keen on Leicester City for whatever reason. Don't know why because he grew up north of Nottingham. Never known him to have an opinion on Derby either way. So I was probably influenced by that too.

    Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 05-10-19 at 09:19.

  4. #53

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    Perhaps missed out on the rivalry going south. In the 80s, anybody on the borders would support Forest. Forest had a good side, Leicester didn't. Now kids would support Leicester.

    If you've grown up on the borders between Forest and Derby for last 25 years, it's much of a muchness. Neither side very good. There's probably of mix.


  5. #54
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Mixer
    Posts
    35,602

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    I lived in Leicester for a while in the early nineties. They hated Forest with a passion.
    My dad tells me that pre Clough and Taylor at Derby, Leicester were the natural local rivals. Maybe it's harder to take when you are spurned by rivals. How Derby fans must have felt when we turned our attentions to Liverpool.

    There was a brief period around '93 when all three clubs were vying for promotion and I was working with a Derby supporter and a Leicester supporter. It was good natured but the 'bantz' got more heated as the season progressed. One of the few times when Forest's results affected my Monday at work. Of course, after an initial struggle we went up so it all turned out very well.

    Stand Firm And Strike Hard

  6. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,614

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    Bloody Leicester. Having lived in Nottingham for only three years when I was quite young, I'm not really up to speed with local rivalry.

    At the time (1948 to '51) the rivals were Notts. Derby got a look in and the Stags also got a mention, but Leicester were never mentioned; we then went straight over to Germany and it was only when I started school in England 1954 that I heard the name Leicester City mentioned (though rarely).

    The fact they get prime position when I view EMT is an annoyance, especially as they get more than their share of time and exposure.


  7. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    JLB Credit
    Posts
    8,544

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    Quote Originally Posted by valspoodle View Post
    Bloody Leicester. Having lived in Nottingham for only three years when I was quite young, I'm not really up to speed with local rivalry.

    At the time (1948 to '51) the rivals were Notts. Derby got a look in and the Stags also got a mention, but Leicester were never mentioned; we then went straight over to Germany and it was only when I started school in England 1954 that I heard the name Leicester City mentioned (though rarely).

    The fact they get prime position when I view EMT is an annoyance, especially as they get more than their share of time and exposure.
    I have family in Leicestershire, and, funnily enough, the prevailing opinion there is that EMT is exceedingly Nottingham-centric.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk


  8. #57
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    24,697

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    Quote Originally Posted by Project Zeus View Post
    I have family in Leicestershire, and, funnily enough, the prevailing opinion there is that EMT is exceedingly Nottingham-centric.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    They should try living in Mansfield, the place that never existed according to EMT.


  9. #58
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    80,801

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    They should try living in Mansfield, the place that never existed according to EMT.
    Letís be honest here, there is an argument that if Mansfield didnít ever exist, the world would be a better place!

    ĄI believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialismď

    ó Joe Strummer

  10. #59
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Mixer
    Posts
    35,602

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    It is a bit biased that non league Nottinghamshire County get so much air time on Radio Nottingham compared to EFL club Mansfield town, another well known Nottinghamshire club.

    Last edited by Ravi; 05-10-19 at 21:18.

  11. #60
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    80,801

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    It is a bit biased that non league Nottinghamshire County get so much air time on Radio Nottingham compared to EFL club Mansield town, another well known Nottinghamshire club.
    Thatís actually a really good point.

    It would be hilarious if struggling County got binned off in favour of the Stags (as indeed, they should be).


  12. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Fterno, Lefkada
    Posts
    9,120

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    It is a bit biased that non league Nottinghamshire County get so much air time on Radio Nottingham compared to EFL club Mansfield town, another well known Nottinghamshire club.
    It used to piss me off when I lived in Leicester, I used to struggle to get radio nottingham on FM but I could get it on DAB quite easy. Who decided to put Notts on DAB? Most of those silly old fuckers don't own a radio never mind a DAB one.

    Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


  13. #62

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    It is a bit biased that non league Nottinghamshire County get so much air time on Radio Nottingham compared to EFL club Mansfield town, another well known Nottinghamshire club.
    Mansfield don't want the commentary is reason for that I thought.


  14. #63
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    24,697

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Let’s be honest here, there is an argument that if Mansfield didn’t ever exist, the world would be a better place!
    Maybe now, but it was one of the big fuel suppliers to our WWII war machine. Without the fuel supplied from Mansfield and it’s surrounding area things may have turned out differently. But hey, who cares about old shit like that anymore?
    Mansfield helped London to survive, then London onlooked as Mansfield died a slow death. The lessons of history.


  15. #64
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    5

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    Talking to older lads Forest v Leicester was a big rivalry in the 60s early 70s. The Derby rivalry only really
    took off in the Clough era. Sounds plausible to me, anyone who disagrees were they there at the time ?


  16. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    5,480

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    Apparently when Leicester played Leatherhead in the FA Cup a load of Forest fans joined up with Leatherhead to give Leicester a bit of a twatting. I think the hooligan memoirs book “Steaming In” gives that incident a mention.


  17. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    2,751

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Maybe now, but it was one of the big fuel suppliers to our WWII war machine. Without the fuel supplied from Mansfield and itís surrounding area things may have turned out differently. But hey, who cares about old shit like that anymore?
    Mansfield helped London to survive, then London onlooked as Mansfield died a slow death. The lessons of history.
    The one thing history tells us is that London doesn't give a fuck about anywhere other than London, a fine example of a capital city.

    Sent from my sweaty palms using Tapatalk


  18. #67

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    Quote Originally Posted by Lefkasman View Post
    It used to piss me off when I lived in Leicester, I used to struggle to get radio nottingham on FM but I could get it on DAB quite easy. Who decided to put Notts on DAB? Most of those silly old fuckers don't own a radio never mind a DAB one.

    Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
    Same In Rutland, i can get DAB but it's clownty so sometimes will sit in my car at a car park aat the top of a nearby hillwhere I get a perfect reception. Think there must be a fair few of us as there are others there and they seem to recognise me as I arrive as they flash their lights.


  19. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Fterno, Lefkada
    Posts
    9,120

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabri Natenagewitch View Post
    Same In Rutland, i can get DAB but it's clownty so sometimes will sit in my car at a car park aat the top of a nearby hillwhere I get a perfect reception. Think there must be a fair few of us as there are others there and they seem to recognise me as I arrive as they flash their lights.
    Derbyshire Dennis would recommend car sharing.

    Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk


  20. #69
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    24,697

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    Quote Originally Posted by Portoblues View Post
    Talking to older lads Forest v Leicester was a big rivalry in the 60s early 70s. The Derby rivalry only really
    took off in the Clough era. Sounds plausible to me, anyone who disagrees were they there at the time ?
    I’ve heard similar but my old man is fixated on Liverpool (still), I should ask him really, he was going from the early sixties.


  21. #70
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    24,697

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    Just gave him a call, he says it was always Derby but “back in them days you’d have a faight with anyone”
    He then went on to Liverpool so I said my phone signal was breaking up, I haven’t got the head space for a hours worth of scouse bastards.


  22. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    South Derbyshire.
    Posts
    10,052

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    I moved to Chellaston in 1972, the kids at the junior school were Derby and Liverpool. Most of the Derby kids had a dislike of Forest because their dads had told them so.

    My best mate at the school was a ram and his dad hated Forest because of the small amount of success Forest had in the late 1960s. Sad part was Forest were relegated the same year I joined that school, so the little shites gave me grief. So this is where my hatred of Derby stems from and of course living Derbyshire most of my life too.

    My hatred of Liverpool started in 1977 when their vile fans spat at old folks and climbed into the seating area in the EastStand. Most vile fans I've ever encountered during my 50yrs of following Forest.

    Just for the record, I attended Fairfields junior school in Stabbo (1968- 72) before I moved to Chellaston. Most kids were Liverpool, then Forest and Notts.


  23. #72
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    80,801

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    I moved to Chellaston in 1972, the kids at the junior school were Derby and Liverpool. Most of the Derby kids had a dislike of Forest because their dads had told them so.

    My best mate at the school was a ram and his dad hated Forest because of the small amount of success Forest had in the late 1960s. Sad part was Forest were relegated the same year I joined that school, so the little shites gave me grief. So this is where my hatred of Derby stems from and of course living Derbyshire most of my life too.

    My hatred of Liverpool started in 1977 when their vile fans spat at old folks and climbed into the seating area in the EastStand. Most vile fans I've ever encountered during my 50yrs of following Forest.

    Just for the record, I attended Fairfields junior school in Stabbo (1968- 72) before I moved to Chellaston. Most kids were Liverpool, then Forest and Notts.
    My late Uncle, who introduced me to Forest in 1976, always insisted that in the 1960s the rivalry was with Leicester, and Derby - at that time - werenít really on the map.


  24. #73
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    24,697

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    I moved to Chellaston in 1972, the kids at the junior school were Derby and Liverpool. Most of the Derby kids had a dislike of Forest because their dads had told them so.

    My best mate at the school was a ram and his dad hated Forest because of the small amount of success Forest had in the late 1960s. Sad part was Forest were relegated the same year I joined that school, so the little shites gave me grief. So this is where my hatred of Derby stems from and of course living Derbyshire most of my life too.

    My hatred of Liverpool started in 1977 when their vile fans spat at old folks and climbed into the seating area in the EastStand. Most vile fans I've ever encountered during my 50yrs of following Forest.

    Just for the record, I attended Fairfields junior school in Stabbo (1968- 72) before I moved to Chellaston. Most kids were Liverpool, then Forest and Notts.
    I reckon my old man must’ve lost a Doc Marten boot in the East Stand that day in 77 because he won’t shut up about them


  25. #74
    The Foam Hand
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Curry House
    Posts
    24,697

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    My late Uncle, who introduced me to Forest in 1976, always insisted that in the 1960s the rivalry was with Leicester, and Derby - at that time - weren’t really on the map.

    It was like that in the early 80’s, we played Leicester every season, but when we got Derby in the Cup it was next level.


  26. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    South Derbyshire.
    Posts
    10,052

    Default Re: The ascent of Leicester City

    Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    I reckon my old man must’ve lost a Doc Marten boot in the East Stand that day in 77 because he won’t shut up about them


    I recon I'd get on with your old man.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •