Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The rotation dilemma

Default Re: The rotation dilemma

I just don't understand why so much rotation is required. We've had a 2 week break and now have to play Sun/Wed/Sat/Sat/Sat before the next 2 week international break.

Is that too much to ask from some players? Seems so.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Billy Davies long lost lovechild.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    In terms of Chema's organising ability, there was more than enough evidence in his performance against Brentford to clearly suggest otherwise Alf. Did you not see that game?
    Yep, but tbh I didn't see Chema organize things that game much anyway, but that just might have bypassed me.

I'm not surprised Chema was dropped, Mouch is still clearly having to experiment a bit to see what works & what doesn't, even though I agree it was the wrong decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Trents View Post
    I just don't understand why so much rotation is required. We've had a 2 week break and now have to play Sun/Wed/Sat/Sat/Sat before the next 2 week international break.

Is that too much to ask from some players? Seems so.
    Think a lot of it is still Mouch seeing what works in practice tbh. May seem like he's been here forever, but it's early days & he's still got things to test I guess.

Impressive member

I think the issue is Grabban was replaced (due to his age) and Sow was replaced (due to injury) but we were seemingly also hampered by mixing up the centre backs (Tobias instead of Chema) which was too many.
    I also believe that if we'd played Adomah in midfield and Yuri at left back we'd have been much stronger. Easy to say in hindsight mind.

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos View Post
    Yep, but tbh I didn't see Chema organize things that game much anyway, but that just might have bypassed me.
    That's fair enough Alf. I noticed it more in the second-half of that game when he was frequently looking across, and encouraging the back-line to remain in shape when Brentford were in possession.

Not that type of player

If you had a squad of 23 players who you knew you would need over a long season of 46 games, regularly 3 games in week, how would you approach it?

Some would be key players but if you make them play 90 minutes every week you're increasing the risk of them being injured.

Some would go in and out of form. Some would have other issues to have to deal with at times.

You'd want team appearances to be based on merit. In which case players who consistently worked hard and performed well in training ought to be given a chance, but that means dropping other players.

Of course, the longer you stick with a core 11-14 the more likely it is that the rest will struggle to immediately make an impact when called upon. They will lack match fitness. Some may lose confidence. Others might become disgruntled.

If you arent able to keep all the 23 included and feeling involved, you risk factions developing, and then the dreaded "lost the dressing room" which usually signals the end for most managers.

How would you approach it?

Stand Firm And Strike Hard

Forum Tactician

I was fairly critical of the team selection for Wigan, whilst understanding there's a team dynamic to consider, I'm still unsure why we've tried to fit square pegs in round holes for the purpose of rotation.

Figs for Chema didnt really have the desired effect.
    Bostock alongside Watson just flew in the face of whats worked for us all season, an industrious type doing Watsons legwork, we ended up with two fairly pedestrian midfielders & an isolated striker.
    Yuri on the right didnt work, he's capable there, but he's a top left back & Adomah is fit & ready.
    Mirs taking stick, rightly so in my opinion, but he isnt helped without Carva or even Silva to drive through given Mirs half decent with his back to goal.

Usual caveat that says I love lamouchi etc, I get rotation is key, but the balance was all to cock yesterday. Think we should have taken Wigan on at football, to that end, we needed footballers like Silva, Crarvalho, Adomah & Grabban starting this one.

Miserable bastard

Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    I was fairly critical of the team selection for Wigan, whilst understanding there's a team dynamic to consider, I'm still unsure why we've tried to fit square pegs in round holes for the purpose of rotation.
    I'm not sure it was for the sake of rotation - when Lamouchi has made significant changes to the tactis or constitution of the side it has always been to exploit a weakness or negate a threat that he has seen in the opposition. Whatever he saw in Wigan, he was clearly mistaken.

Impressive member

It did feel like it was at least a point dropped yesterday due to us perhaps being over cautious. Onwards and upwards though. The Wigan game is only an issue if we lose against Hull and Reading.

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

Strange place to try these things out (especially all at once), nothing to say that Wigan away isn't one of our trickiest games of the season. I don't like Yuri on the wing thought he was sloppy yesterday (but he's probably trying to give Robinson a run out) but it didn't work when he played there before (if memory serves me). Figs looks really uncomfortable, bostock didn't really impress either. We might have been able to get away with one or two changes but 5 away at Wigan was just too many..

But if we win our next ten it’s a tactical master stroke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk