Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The rotation dilemma

Default Re: The rotation dilemma

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    You second paragraph is what the majority said about that team Pearce put out against Spurs. Anybody calling it a weakened side at the time was being disrespectful to key players of a squad that were going to play a big part in our promotion challenge.

At the time that looked like BS, but it's only now with hindsight that that was clearly BS has to be accepted. Harding, who was playing non league football a year later, played right back. Antonio and Assombalonga were left out, Veldwijk played up front on his own. De Vries played his one game for the season, and dropped a clanger for Spurs' first. We were top of the second tier and took the lead through a guy who has found his level in div four. But point out at the time that Forest passed up there shot of giving five thousands travelling fans a great night in their green jumpers by playing a crap side that, and you were told that side was our future and the players left out couldn't have done better.
    Maybe I wasn't reading here much then but I don't recall anyone saying that at all. Everyone I knew, particularly those who went, were pretty annoyed with the team selection. Which is a real shame because up to that point he had barely put a foot wrong as manager.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    Maybe I wasn't reading here much then but I don't recall anyone saying that at all. Everyone I knew, particularly those who went, were pretty annoyed with the team selection. Which is a real shame because up to that point he had barely put a foot wrong as manager.
    I remember it pretty well, as it was the most disappointing Forest game I'd been to in years. Spurs v Forest in the cup was the classic tie for me as a kid, and we were going there with a manager who had played in all of those. But online the majority of fans weren't disappointed, they were celebrating the selection.

Similar things are said about every weakened side Forest field in the cup, but that game a lot of fans on the forum argued we had a good squad and that eleven that had made them proud was proof.

Forest being unbeaten and top of the league may have contributed to fans being defensive about that selection.

Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 19-09-19 at 20:59.

I remember it pretty well, as it was the most disappointing Forest game I'd been to in years. Spurs v Forest in the cup was the classic tie for me as a kid, and we were going there with a manager who had played in all of those. But online the majority of fans weren't disappointed, they were celebrating the selection.

Similar things are said about every weakened side Forest field in the cup, but that game a lot of fans on the forum argued we had a good squad and that eleven that had made them proud was proof.

Forest being unbeaten and top of the league may have contributed to fans being defensive about that selection.
    It was also probably because it was Pearce that made people defend it. Not only is he who is but his start was brilliant.

Fair enough, like I say I didn't read it but that's not to say it didn't happen. Interesting.

From memory it was Veljwik, De Vries, Harding, Grant...….. I'm struggling now to be honest. I know I could google this but I'm sure someone knows the team!

De Vries, Harding, Fox, Lascelles, Wilson, Grant (O Burke), Vaughan (Tesche), Paterson, McLaughlin, Osborn, Veldwijk (Blackstock)

Spurs started with Vertonghen, Davies, Townsend, Paulinho. And brought Mason, Lamela and Kane off the bench to win the game.

oopsy daisy!

Who were we playing the following game after we rested all those players for the Spurs cup game?

Brighton at home I think, if memory serves me right. Drew 0-0.

Osborn got another game off the back of a good performance at WHL. Or he came off the bench That was when he was just breaking into the side. Doubt any of the others played.

Maybe Veldwijk came off the bench too. He was still a rough diamond at that stage.

Psycho being in charge was the only thing that had people defending that team selection and the subsequent shit show that followed, Derby away aside.

Quote Originally Posted by insanity_nffc View Post
    Psycho being in charge was the only thing that had people defending that team selection and the subsequent shit show that followed, Derby away aside.
    I remember watching it in the pub and we were doing well. Osborn hit the bar after a great run, Grant scored, we were fine till Townsend came on and scored.

Of course folk turned up later to slag off Pearce, but there was nothing wrong with the team selection or performance. Some fans (younger fans?) seem to take delight in dissing Forest legends who dare to manage Forest.

I noticed a couple of people on another thread saying they were disappointed we beat Boro 3-0 near the end of last season because they didn't like MON.

Sorry, but Boro were still going for a top six spot while we'd just missed out. Anyone who didn't rate that result isn't a Forest fan.

The reason the line up came as surprise even when we were used to second strings playing in the Cup by then, is that Pearce had put out close to his starting line up in the previous rounds when Forest had won at Tranmere and Huddersfield.

Darlow, Hunt, Lichaj, Tesche, Mancienne, Lansbury, Antonio all started in the 2-0 win at Huddersfield in the previous round. Assombalonga, C Burke, Fryatt all came off the bench.

Darliw, Lichaj, Hobbs, Mancienne, C Burke, Antonio, Assombalonga all started in the 1-0 at Tranmere.

Those players had Forest top of the league, and the cup wins were part of his great start. I think I remember Pearce even talking in the media about his desire to win those cup games to help build momentum.

So the line up at Spurs was genuinely a surprise. Didn't see the logic in the change of tack. Suddenly momentum wasn't important any more. Proving momentum exists with athletes and sports teams is obviously impossible Ravi, but people generally accept it exists and has a big impact on performance, and we certainly appeared to lose it that night.

League and cup record going into Spurs away was W7 D3 L0.

Next eight matches W0 D4 L4.

Had the unbeaten side come away from one of the best sides in the country with a result (still would have been underdogs, but with a little more chance than the team with Harding at right back and Veldwijk lone striker) you'd think they would have been in a strong position mentally going into those next eight games to do better than the eight without a win that was the beginning of the end for Pearce.

I was loathed to criticise Pearce even then, he's a hero of mine. Put me off Forest for year or so when he was sacked. But even Pearce the manager's biggest supporters seemed to accept with hindsight he dropped a clanger at White Hart Lane.

Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 20-09-19 at 05:36.

Forum Tactician

Quote Originally Posted by ubik View Post
    I noticed a couple of people on another thread saying they were disappointed we beat Boro 3-0 near the end of last season because they didn't like MON.

Sorry, but Boro were still going for a top six spot while we'd just missed out. Anyone who didn't rate that result isn't a Forest fan.
    It was a good result, instigated by our previously discarded best midfield option, against an abject Boro side who came with some inexplicable game plan. We had to forensically examine stuff under previous managers, why not this one?

Granted Martin finally put the ball on the floor, but what preceded that can't really be ignored by some, nor can the fact the performance was much more aligned to what we maybe should have stuck to all along.

Senior Doom Monger

Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    It was a good result, instigated by our previously discarded best midfield option, against an abject Boro side who came with some inexplicable game plan. We had to forensically examine stuff under previous managers, why not this one?

Granted Martin finally put the ball on the floor, but what preceded that can't really be ignored by some, nor can the fact the performance was much more aligned to what we maybe should have stuck to all along.
    Player revolt and Fans' Pester Power; none of that result was down to O'Neil.
    IMHO of course!

Looks like some backups aren't to be relied upon.

I'm assuming judging by today's line up, this loss means we are now out of the FA Cup?

We lose the Ben Watson Trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugwash View Post
    Looks like some backups aren't to be relied upon.
    If you play 3 players who’ve had little game time at once, move Worrall to his weaker side and put Ribeiro/Lolley out of position then that’s not the same as slotting one, maybe two of them in to freshen things up or cover an injury.
    A bit like the Reid/Hobbs/Cohen injury scenario except only Sow was really injured today.

I don’t think Mir/Bostock/Figuerido did too badly but they looked a bit rusty and not overly comfortable which is what you maybe don’t get when you drop 1 of them in alongside the main 10.

Wouldn’t bet on SL doing it again.

Billy Davies long lost lovechild.

Quote Originally Posted by adam09 View Post
    A bit like the Reid/Hobbs/Cohen injury scenario except only Sow was really injured today.
    Dawson too, + Carva's recovering from injury Reid stylee

Chema has done a good job coming for Dawson the couple of games previous so didn’t count that as he doesn’t look rusty and we kept the same 3 other defenders so it’s a case of like for like.

Billy Davies long lost lovechild.

Quote Originally Posted by adam09 View Post
    Chema has done a good job coming for Dawson the couple of games previous so didn’t count that as he doesn’t look rusty and we kept the same 3 other defenders so it’s a case of like for like.
    He's no Daws tho mate. It's these types of games you really miss your leaders & organizers, of which Chema is neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos View Post
    He's no Daws tho mate. It's these types of games you really miss your leaders & organizers, of which Chema is neither.
    You need that every game and I disagree anyway, I’ve seen Chema organising and shouting at players.

If anything, Chema not playing meant Worrall was on the left again, as he was at Blackburn and looking slightly uncomfortable. Both goals coming from Robinson getting caught forward as well. Don’t see why Chema was taken out having played very well and the defence looking better balanced.

Forum Tactician

Thought we lost the game in the middle of the park today. I like Bostock, but he brought a totally different dynamic to Sow, leaving us totally one paced in the middle. That forced us out wide, where Lolley & Ameobi just couldnt keep possession.

Without being Yates biggest fan, we desperately missed some industry in the middle of the park. Wheres Semedo?

Love Lamouchi, but he got it wrong today.

No rotation without representation

The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos View Post
    In terms of Chema's organising ability, there was more than enough evidence in his performance against Brentford to clearly suggest otherwise Alf. Did you not see that game?

I thought the Chema/Worral partnership against Brentford looked rock solid so the decision to change it looked baffling. Playing Fig was a worse decision than playing Mir IMO. The success this season has been built on a solid defence