Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who’s the worst player you actually liked?

Default Who’s the worst player you actually liked?

After reading the best and worst ever signings threads, I got to thinking. Who is your favourite “bad” forest player? I’m pretty sure Hason Lee will get a lot of love. For me I still have a soft spot for Andrea Silenzi. I remember having his poster on my wall and boasting that Forest were the first team to sign an Italian International!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Miserable bastard

Default Re: Who’s the worst player you actually liked?

Jason Lee.

Thread over.

Easy. Hildeberto Pareira. Great fun.

Peter Ward. He used to live in Chellaston and would visit our youth club in Melbourne, he often watched me and my pals play 5 a side football. Really wanted him to succeed at Forest. Great player at Brighton, but shite at NFFC.

Billy Davies long lost lovechild.

If you believe popular opinion, Wes Morgan

Deffo Jason Lee, especially with the stick he got on Fantasy Football League. He wasn't awful but was not a Premier League player.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Too close to Derby but still an NG postcode

I quite liked watching Neil Lennon in those few games we had him. His legs had gone (not that he ever had them) but he spent the whole game pointing, presenting for a simple pass and doing good break up play fouls.

I think a lot would probably have Lars Veldwijk on their list.

I liked Robbie Findley and wanted him to do well because he had lightning pace and didn’t seem to be a cock, but most of the time I can’t find myself liking players who aren’t performing or don’t have the ability to take us forward. It just winds me up watching them.

Quote Originally Posted by carlosmerino View Post
    I quite liked watching Neil Lennon in those few games we had him. His legs had gone (not that he ever had them) but he spent the whole game pointing, presenting for a simple pass and doing good break up play fouls.
    Not sure it’s fair choosing players in the twilight of their career to get a few grand from the pensioner charity that is NFFC but if it’s allowed how about Andy (sorry Andrew) Cole never got out of the centre circle and took up most of it

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    Peter Ward. He used to live in Chellaston and would visit our youth club in Melbourne, he often watched me and my pals play 5 a side football. Really wanted him to succeed at Forest. Great player at Brighton, but shite at NFFC.
    And his sister got them out for the lads!

I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

Quote Originally Posted by alabamared View Post
    And his sister got them out for the lads!
    Maybe it should have been her at the Youth Club.

Don't care what anyone says Abdoun was fucking quality.

Gino Padula for tackling Gary Megson one time, Hildeberto for the entertainment, and Abdoun for the panenka penalty.

Not that type of player

Jonathan Greening. Jesus lookalike, slick passing, and a Champions League winner.

Stand Firm And Strike Hard

Forum Tactician

Always had a soft spot for Gary Jones.

Willed him home in every foot race, sadly he never won one. You could give him a 20yd head start & he'd still come second.

Neil Harris. Scored tonnes for Millwall either side of playing for us, and obviously had the cancer in his first spell and never got back up to speed with them before leaving.

I guess though NH was brought in under Harford's caretaker reign and never got too much of a chance under Megson (who did and was good? He clearly preferred cloggers like Dobie and Dadi) didn't really get the run in the side to get any form and sharpness, but still.

When he did, though he only scored once for us (under Calderwood I think) you could tell his overall play was better than his actual goal return. And then we sold him.

As it was probably likely the signing was begun by Kinnear before he quit, had he stayed or we'd brought in someone decent and not a clogger like Megson, it could all have been different.

Some of these are questionable though. Jason Lee was good - he was signed as backup when Stan was still here and then we signed Roy as well, and did a good job at this, considering we were a top half Prem side by the time B&S noticed his hair cut.

Lee was joint top scorer in 95/6, when we finished 9th, and reached the QFs of both UEFA and FA Cups, and was a key player in our last decent season.

Abdoun was a good player, but didn't care at all for the team.

I think the question is a bit of a paradox though - get people to name their favourite players, and no doubt they will be because they're good (Lolley is mine, but that's also because he's intelligent and funny on twitter as well as being a class act on the pitch)

Can't Re Member

Carlton Palmer. I loved the way he seemed to have no idea where his legs were going himself

Oh FFS.

Red til I'm dead

Default Who’s the worst player you actually liked?

I quite liked Danny Cullip because I always thought he was a decent no-nonsense centre-half at Brighton. He was pretty poor for us though (who wasn’t at that time?).

I had high hopes for Matt Lockwood too as I’d seen him dozens of times for Orient and he was arguably one of the best left-backs in the lower leagues when we signed him. A great left foot and I thought we had made a really shrewd signing. He was really unfortunate to get a bad injury early on then Bennett just nailed down the spot.

But I’m going to plump for Kevin James. He looked good for Gillingham against us once I seem to recall so was happy enough when we signed him. But he didn’t get much of a chance. I saw him play at Woking away in whatever dire competition we had to play in when we were in that shit league. The worst Forest team I have ever seen, bar none. We lost aet and I think for more than half the team it was their only Forest appearance.

Anyway, the Forest fans who were there to witness perhaps the absolute nadir of Nottingham Forest Football Club weren’t best pleased (it was pissing wet too) and most of the clowns just slinked off the pitch as soon as they could. James looked absolutely devastated. He was the only player to applaud the away fans too. It was as if he knew that his chance of making a career at that level had slipped away with the loss. He was right - he slipped into non-league obscurity. He looked like he cared though, which was more than could be said for plenty of others.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by RealRed85; 10-09-19 at 00:39.

Quote Originally Posted by RealRed85 View Post
    But I’m going to plump for Kevin James. He looked good for Gillingham against us once I seem to recall so was happy enough when we signed him. But he didn’t get much of a chance. I saw him play at Woking away in whatever dire competition we had to play in when we were in that shit league. The worst Forest team I have ever seen, bar none. We lost aet and I think for more than half the team it was their only Forest appearance.

Anyway, the Forest fans who were there to witness perhaps the absolute nadir of Nottingham Forest Football Club weren’t best pleased (it was pissing wet too) and most of the clowns just slinked off the pitch as soon as they could. James looked absolutely devastated. He was the only player to applaud the away fans too. It was as if he knew that his chance of making a career at that level had slipped away with the loss. He was right - he slipped into non-league obscurity. He looked like he cared though, which was more than could be said for plenty of others.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gerrard, James, Thompson, Fernandez, Vickerton, Bopp (Pittman 57), Holt, Gardner, Bastians, Dadi, Weir-Daley.
    Subs Not Used: Morgan, Commons, Perch, Pedersen. Match Report

That might just be the worst Forest 11 to ever take to the field. Of all the terrible players in that squad, Rune Pedersen was one of the more likeable ones. I always enjoyed watching him spoon every single goal kick he ever took straight out to touch.

Purveyor of exotic goods

Quote Originally Posted by carlosmerino View Post
    I love a pointer...Adlene Guedioura anyone? The geezer actually looked at me directly in the eyes in confusion as I screamed at him from R Block - "Stop fookin pointing at the ball and gerr it yer sen!"

lol

Hahaha fucking DJAMEL ABDOUN THE ABSOLUTE SHEEP KILLING LEGEND

Tricky question.

I think it has to be properly liked as in was verging on being a favourite player at one time or another, rather than just didn't dislike.
    And I think it has to be liked to watch as a player, not only didn't feel dislike for as a person.

These names are coming to mind for me: Jon Olav Hjelde, Phil Starbuck, Toddi Orlygsson, Thierry Bonalair.

I think Bonalair was the best player (at Forest), so that rules him out. Orlygsson only showed glimpses at Forest but inherently could have been the best.

Hjelde was my first thought, being a bit limited for high level football, but despite early promise Starbuck did less for Forest.

I'll stick with Hjelde as my answer though. Somehow it feels a slightly dubious honour lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Kjetil Osvald's Cat View Post
    Tricky question.

I think it has to be properly liked as in was verging on being a favourite player at one time or another, rather than just didn't dislike.
    And I think it has to be liked to watch as a player, not only didn't feel dislike for as a person.

These names are coming to mind for me: Jon Olav Hjelde, Phil Starbuck, Toddi Orlygsson, Thierry Bonalair.

I think Bonalair was the best player (at Forest), so that rules him out. Orlygsson only showed glimpses at Forest but inherently could have been the best.

Hjelde was my first thought, being a bit limited for high level football, but despite early promise Starbuck did less for Forest.

I'll stick with Hjelde as my answer though. Somehow it feels a slightly dubious honour lol!
    I guess these could have been in the frame too, but would just miss out for one reason or another:

Geoff Thomas (sometimes I wonder whether he was better at Forest than he ever was at Palace somehow?!)

Kjetil Osvold (he can't have been enough of a favourite if I didn't even remember how to spell his name, and in truth I don't remember him much!)

Tommy Gaynor

Eugen Bopp

In case anyone was wondering then yes I like these better than my choice, but yes I insist they are too good to consider lol!
    Kingsley Black (even at Forest yes definitely!), Gary Crosby, Franz Carr, Raddy Majewski (at some point nobody would argue, later on a few might!)

On the flip side in my view these could be lesser players than Hjelde (but arguably did more for Forest than Starbuck still if not counting reserves/youth games anyway),
    but I wouldn't say they qualified enough as favourites playing wise even though they seemed likeable enough to be contenders to me:
    Lee Glover, Brian Rice, Jason Lee, Carl Tiler (tricky comparison with Hjelde quality wise but lived up to expectations less I suppose anyway).

Adam Nowland. He was our Jason Koumas.