Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marios Siampanis

Default Marios Siampanis

As is often the case with unwanted players of both clubs, there is word in the Greek press that our goalkeeper Marios Siabanis (19, he'll be 20 in late September), may find his way to Nottingham.

Siabanis belonged to PAOK until this summer. He was widely considered to be the best Greek goalkeeper of his age along with Antonis Stergiakis (both were internationals since the age of 15). But the latter made the bold move of going abroad to find first-team experience at the age of 16 (!), while Siabanis patiently waited for his chance at PAOK. That chance never came, although he was the highest-earning academy player of PAOK, so Siabanis decided not to renew his contract and signed with us.

He was supposed to be the second-choice keeper, but the manager trusted the 16-year-old Tzolakis more in pre-season, as I've mentioned before, and finally decided to get a more experienced keeper as no. 2, with Tzolakis as no. 3. Siabanis is therefore on the loan list.

He had a weird pre-season, with some really spectacular saves, but also equally spectacular blunders.

I don't think the Forest story is plausible: he's too old for the U23, and can only fit in the first team as no. 3, behind Muric and Pantilimon, provided Steele leaves.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Impressive member

Default Re: Marios Siabanis [BUPA]

Would he be good enough to be first choice next season, if we're still in the Championship?

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cortez the Killer View Post
    Would he be good enough to be first choice next season, if we're still in the Championship?

I have no idea. He has the potential, but he has not been tested at senior level. Our 16-year-old has more potential, I think, including excellent distribution: in his last friendly all his volleys were spot on. Siabanis looks more of a shot stopper.

Impressive member

Quote Originally Posted by GreeksBearingGifts View Post
    I have no idea. He has the potential, but he has not been tested at senior level. Our 16-year-old has more potential, I think, including excellent distribution: in his last friendly all his volleys were spot on. Siabanis looks more of a shot stopper.
    I think Smith, as a shot stopper, is superb. And probably good enough as a second keeper. But I reckon we need more than that for a starter, especially while Lamouchi is here.

Is signing for us according to Nixon.

Be for the u23's so no issues with that.

Billy Davies long lost lovechild.

That's more like it. Smith is such a boring name, and the fact that he's already held his own at Championship level shouldn overshadow someone called Marios Siabanis. It conjurs up visions of sinking a nice red whilst basking in a warm breeze on a sun soaked veranda, and that's what's important.

Last edited by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos; 08-08-19 at 22:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Heffing Psycho! View Post
    Is signing for us according to Nixon.
    This is bordering on the ridiculous, unless he's willing to play for the U23.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos View Post
    That's more like it. Smith is such a boring name, and the fact that he's already held his own at Championship level shouldn't overshadow someone called Marios Siabanis. It conjurs up visions of sinking a nice red whilst basking in a warm breeze on a sun soaked veranda, and that's what's important.
    Smith will have to accept being a career 3rd choice keeper if he wants to stay in the football league.

This is bordering on the ridiculous, unless he's willing to play for the U23.
    I would assume so, maybe even the trialist who played against your lads the other day?

Quote Originally Posted by Heffing Psycho! View Post
    I would assume so, maybe even the trialist who played against your lads the other day?
    That's a good shout.

Had a stormer apparently.

Senior Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stone's Mullet View Post
    Smith will have to accept being a career 3rd choice keeper if he wants to stay in the football league.
    He has the potential to be much more than that.

Can he play upfront

Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    He has the potential to be much more than that.
    I am a perpetual supporter of Academy players getting into our team.

But don't see it with Smith. Honestly don't think he'll stick as a No.1 anywhere.

He's also 25 this year. Whilst that's by no means old for a 'keeper, he's not a young lad with potential anymore either.

Senior Curmudgeon

I am a perpetual supporter of Academy players getting into our team.

But don't see it with Smith. Honestly don't think he'll stick as a No.1 anywhere.

He's also 25 this year. Whilst that's by no means old for a 'keeper, he's not a young lad with potential anymore either.
    I don't think that you are giving him anywhere enough credit for his performances for the first team behind a very shaky defence.

The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.

Smudger must now be Forest's longest-serving player.

If this happens, it will be one of those moves that don't make much sense. As I've said in the opening post, Siabanis left PAOK because he was not getting the first team experience he was promised. He had an offer for a loan from a Portugueuse team a couple of days ago. It makes no sense for him (or us) to go to Nottingham to play for the U23 and be fourth choice in the first team (at best third choice if both Pantilimon and Smith go). Even for you I'm not sure it's a good move. If I understand correctly, you have high hopes for Shelvey; why limit his playing time with the U23?

I think this move is based on a business model rather than a football model: if a young Greek makes it in England, this will prove useful for both teams and their owner. But you can't force success, it takes planning and luck. In this particular case, the planning looks poor; let's hope luck counterbalances poor planning.

Red til I'm dead

Default Marios Siabanis [BUPA]

If this happens, it will be one of those moves that don't make much sense. As I've said in the opening post, Siabanis left PAOK because he was not getting the first team experience he was promised. He had an offer for a loan from a Portugueuse team a couple of days ago. It makes no sense for him (or us) to go to Nottingham to play for the U23 and be fourth choice in the first team (at best third choice if both Pantilimon and Smith go). Even for you I'm not sure it's a good move. If I understand correctly, you have high hopes for Shelvey; why limit his playing time with the U23?

I think this move is based on a business model rather than a football model: if a young Greek makes it in England, this will prove useful for both teams and their owner. But you can't force success, it takes planning and luck. In this particular case, the planning looks poor; let's hope luck counterbalances poor planning.
    We might buy him to loan him to a league 1 team with an eye on him being Samba’s understudy next year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Championship? Maybe, Football League? No, he could easily be a starter in L1/2

Quote Originally Posted by cms186 View Post
    Championship? Maybe, Football League? No, he could easily be a starter in L1/2
    You would of thought so, but then again he was swiftly replaced by the fattest most cumbersome keeper in the World at L2 level

https://www.fosonline.gr/media/news/...mpanis-pic.jpg

Apparently, it did happened
    Honestly, I can't understand the situation with the goalkeepers

Impressive member

If we buy them all it will make it easier for us to score.

Hello

In the team today

Not BUPA anymore and in the wrong forum (he's even in the official OS, as is Rama).

Default Re: Marios Siabanis

Started for the U23 and apparently just made a spectacular save. Rama is also a starter, as a right back.