Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 176 to 197 of 197

Thread: The Official VAR Thread

      
  1. #176
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Mixer
    Posts
    33,811

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    Bollocks to VAR.
    We may have benefited tonight but suffered another game, keep the joy in the game.
    What must happen though is a retrospective ban for that tackle.
    How does a retrospective ban help us? Those things merely benefit other teams and not the team who were wronged. This game demonstrated again, for the umpteenth time, that football officiating isn’t fit for purpose without VAR.

    ďA lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and make sure you are.Ē

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #177
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Mixer
    Posts
    33,811

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mouldynffc View Post
    Do we bollocks!

    It’s funny though because it’s like I said before it’s all about consistency apparently and yet the real desire and huge calls for it come when someone’s got something to gain.

    Would you have posted the same thing if it had been our defender on a Charlton player?

    Yes, and I have said so regularly in the past few seasons. I’ve regularly argued that referees have an impossible job when unaided, and it goes without saying that fans are biased in favour of their team.

    Everyone can see that the standard of football officiating is a joke. It is not acceptable.

    Last edited by Ravi; 22-08-19 at 08:15.

  4. #178

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    I was at Charlton last night. I stuck my hands in the air and said "yay" when Adomah scored. It woke me out of my slumber briefly, but it was a goal in an 1-1 draw in a football, the kind I've seen hundreds of times.

    It wasn't an incredible high that would have ruined football had it video technology been there and taken it away.

    You have to be biased to argume the highs in football are greater than in other sports and that's the reason video technology can't work.


  5. #179
    Senior Curmudgeon
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    30,458

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    How does a retrospective ban help us? Those things merely benefit other teams and not the team who were wronged. This game demonstrated again, for the umpteenth time, that football officiating isnít fit for purpose without VAR.
    I really don't care, I would rather get the odd bit of rough luck than have the spectacle of live football destroyed.


  6. #180
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,069

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    The problem with VAR is that once the genie is out of the bottle you have to have it all the time.

    It would be fine if you could use it to right the wrongs of the Leeds handball or the foul last night, but you then also have to accept the long drawn out wait for a perfectly good goal to be ruled out for the contrived rule of handball in the box or the finger nail that is offside.


  7. #181
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,069

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    I really don't care, I would rather get the odd bit of rough luck than have the spectacle of live football destroyed.
    I'm tending to agree. We've tried VAR and it doesn't work within our game.

    There either has to be a radical overhaul or just dump it.

    Sadly, football administrators are spineless cretins, so little will be done; they will glory in the use of technology "advancing" the game.


  8. #182
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,985

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Also something else here - better respect for officials. There isnít the same level of dissent shown by players in the Bundesliga; that actually took me a few months to realise I hadnít seen a player gobbing off at the Ref.
    Are the referees more approachable over there Chris?

    I ask this because I find there is a sheer level of arrogance over here with a hell of a lot of referees from grass roots all the way up. I find a lot of them have an attitude of being untouchable and won't listen even when being spoken to in a proper and friendly manner.

    Just by taking to players and informing them of why they have taken a decision can really help. I remember an incident in a game against Barnsley, (possibly going back 10 years) the Barnsley fans were going mental in the Bridgford end and Uriah Rennie was stood there so he turned to the Barnsley fans, explained his decision, they all started nodding which was hilarious to see and they accepted it and calmed down. One of the best pieces of refereeing I've ever seen.

    Sent from my sweaty palms using Tapatalk


  9. #183
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    78,103

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Notcher View Post
    Are the referees more approachable over there Chris?

    I ask this because I find there is a sheer level of arrogance over here with a hell of a lot of referees from grass roots all the way up. I find a lot of them have an attitude of being untouchable and won't listen even when being spoken to in a proper and friendly manner.

    Just by taking to players and informing them of why they have taken a decision can really help. I remember an incident in a game against Barnsley, (possibly going back 10 years) the Barnsley fans were going mental in the Bridgford end and Uriah Rennie was stood there so he turned to the Barnsley fans, explained his decision, they all started nodding which was hilarious to see and they accepted it and calmed down. One of the best pieces of refereeing I've ever seen.

    Sent from my sweaty palms using Tapatalk
    Approachable, yes, but usually the team Captain is the one doing the approaching a d the Ref will speak to him, and the player(s) involved.

    You just donít see mob-dissent like you sometimes do elsewhere.

    ĄI believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialismď

    ó Joe Strummer

  10. #184
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,326

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    Yes, and I have said so regularly in the past few seasons. I’ve regularly argued that referees have an impossible job when unaided, and it goes without saying that fans are biased in favour of their team.

    Everyone can see that the standard of football officiating is a joke. It is not acceptable.
    A joke...

    You’ll have to expand further than that.

    When were you last outraged by a decision that went for us that shouldn’t have?


  11. #185
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Mixer
    Posts
    33,811

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mouldynffc View Post
    A joke...

    Youíll have to expand further than that.

    When were you last outraged by a decision that went for us that shouldnít have?
    I felt outraged the other night when Mitrovic pretended that he'd been hit in the face in attempt to get the defender sent off. Forest weren't even involved in that game.

    It's a joke because everyone can see that pre VAR football officiating is a lottery. People repeat the soothing Hallmark card mantra that decisions even themselves out over the season to make themselves feel better, but it's nonsense.

    Note again, I am not blaming individual referees or claiming any bias on their part, only that they need help because the old system of officiating is no longer fit for purpose.

    Sent from my tent dans Les Alpes


  12. #186
    It's all about mid-table...
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wetherspoons
    Posts
    16,280

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by valspoodle View Post
    The problem with VAR is that once the genie is out of the bottle you have to have it all the time.

    It would be fine if you could use it to right the wrongs of the Leeds handball or the foul last night, but you then also have to accept the long drawn out wait for a perfectly good goal to be ruled out for the contrived rule of handball in the box or the finger nail that is offside.
    This is it but the biggest thing that the football powers that be who are hand in hand with the gambling conglomerates, is that it more controversy, more time to speculate, more interest in the grounds and pubs etc, it keeps it all high profile and at top of the news even when the fucking football is dire most of the time.

    All about the billions of pounds, forget the rest.


  13. #187
    Cato Road SW4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Dangerously close to Infernos
    Posts
    23,740

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Personally I'm sick of losing points due to handball goals etc so I don't care if it takes half an hour to come to a decision so long as it's the correct one


  14. #188
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,326

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    I felt outraged the other night when Mitrovic pretended that he'd been hit in the face in attempt to get the defender sent off. Forest weren't even involved in that game.

    It's a joke because everyone can see that pre VAR football officiating is a lottery. People repeat the soothing Hallmark card mantra that decisions even themselves out over the season to make themselves feel better, but it's nonsense.

    Note again, I am not blaming individual referees or claiming any bias on their part, only that they need help because the old system of officiating is no longer fit for purpose.

    Sent from my tent dans Les Alpes
    Why are you outraged at the officials because someone cheated?

    You say everyone can see itís a joke but I canít and Iím guessing youíve got nothing factual to back up your claim?

    Iím also guessing you canít recall the last time you were outraged when an incorrect decision did us a favour in a game. So again picking and choosing when itís a joke and when itís not. Itís human nature and I get that but letís not pretend otherwise.

    Like I said if you want change in officiating Iíd look at your own attitude towards it before ruining the game in pursuit of it.


  15. #189
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Mixer
    Posts
    33,811

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mouldynffc View Post
    Why are you outraged at the officials because someone cheated?

    You say everyone can see itís a joke but I canít and Iím guessing youíve got nothing factual to back up your claim?

    Iím also guessing you canít recall the last time you were outraged when an incorrect decision did us a favour in a game. So again picking and choosing when itís a joke and when itís not. Itís human nature and I get that but letís not pretend otherwise.

    Like I said if you want change in officiating Iíd look at your own attitude towards it before ruining the game in pursuit of it.


    How many different ways do I have to say this:

    It isnt about bias!

    I watch plenty of non Forest games where poor officiating spoils it. I regularly speak with fans of other clubs who have a different perception to me. I argued on here with fans last season who claimed that poor referee decisions had cost us points. It's impossible to say, but what those poor decisions did do was change the course of the game.



    Sent from my tent dans Les Alpes


  16. #190
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    24,211

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Why do you have to be “outraged”? Plenty of people agreed Robinson’s foul on Dallas against Leeds was a penalty.

    The Charlton player that overreacted to Ameobi’s tackle the other night, he didn’t go running over to try and get his own player sent off for an actual bad tackle did he?

    It’s not natural to be outraged at something that goes for you

    Shirt pull v WBA
    Yellow/red card for Leeds
    Leeds goal offside
    Penalty for Leeds
    Red card/penalty against Charlton

    After 4 games there’s plenty of “evidence” of whether the big decisions are even spotted let alone given, pot luck.


  17. #191
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    24,211

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    I think you’ll find the majority of people are quite accepting of clearly correct decisions.


  18. #192
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,326

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post


    How many different ways do I have to say this:

    It isnt about bias!

    I watch plenty of non Forest games where poor officiating spoils it. I regularly speak with fans of other clubs who have a different perception to me. I argued on here with fans last season who claimed that poor referee decisions had cost us points. It's impossible to say, but what those poor decisions did do was change the course of the game.



    Sent from my tent dans Les Alpes
    There were a few different things I've raised in the last post, I didn't ask anything about bias though, nor about

    My guess is this...

    You think it's a joke but there's nothing factual to back that up, I mean to claim something so straight forward is so bad, to a point where it's blatant for everyone to see as you put it, there has to be some hard evidence backing that up no? It's 2nd or 3rd time of asking for the evidence if you could provide it I'd love to read it and be enlightened as to what I'm missing.

    You haven't been outraged, complained or called for VAR to correct a decision that has gone for us, but you are quite happy to when it goes against. I get that, human nature as I said but as I said it's agenda, I'm sure you've got angry at many neutral games but like I said, you're happy to let the one that go for us slide, as does everyone when it comes to this type of thing.

    And I'm still struggling, personally to understand why a player who, as you quite rightly point out has blatantly cheated and rather than berate said player totally and highlight he is in the wrong, you've angled it as a refereeing issue? Happy to be corrected if that is not how it's meant of course.

    If it's


  19. #193
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Trent End
    Posts
    15,165

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    One thing that rarely gets mentioned in the VAR debate is momentum in football. It is vital. That's why it's deemed as cheating to time waste - because it quashes the momentum of the other team. It's why players go down pretending to be injured when in fact they aren't. They are killing the momentum, and VAR does this in abudance - that means it effects games negatively especially if there is no decision.

    I have no problem with the concept of VAR but if they are serious about VAR staying around for the love of god put a time limit on it. It should be quick like goal-line technology otherwise don't bother. They need to ditch the ref walking to a screen ASAP and stop these pauses after goals to check whether the goal is okay. If it's not okay you should know straight away, otherwise it's not clear cut.

    5 minute stoppages, 1 minute stoppages, it's all unacceptable because football is fueled on passion and emotion. If you have to watch a replay over and over again for minutes then it's not clear cut enough. They also shouldn't be able to slow the replays down as fouls always look worse slower.

    Wait till it reaches our level, as a spectator in the ground VAR is a disgrace. Nuno Espirito Santo is the only one that's talking about the emotion it's removing from the game, more should speak up.


  20. #194
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Mixer
    Posts
    33,811

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mouldynffc View Post
    There were a few different things I've raised in the last post, I didn't ask anything about bias though, nor about

    My guess is this...

    You think it's a joke but there's nothing factual to back that up, I mean to claim something so straight forward is so bad, to a point where it's blatant for everyone to see as you put it, there has to be some hard evidence backing that up no? It's 2nd or 3rd time of asking for the evidence if you could provide it I'd love to read it and be enlightened as to what I'm missing.

    You haven't been outraged, complained or called for VAR to correct a decision that has gone for us, but you are quite happy to when it goes against. I get that, human nature as I said but as I said it's agenda, I'm sure you've got angry at many neutral games but like I said, you're happy to let the one that go for us slide, as does everyone when it comes to this type of thing.

    And I'm still struggling, personally to understand why a player who, as you quite rightly point out has blatantly cheated and rather than berate said player totally and highlight he is in the wrong, you've angled it as a refereeing issue? Happy to be corrected if that is not how it's meant of course.

    If it's
    I did berate the player, but the reality is that if there is an incentive to cheat with a high chance of gaining an advantage and a low risk of being sanctioned then players will do it. You might want us all to live in a Corinthian world Mouldy but it's not real life. Getting on your high horse about it changes little.

    Players want to win. Deliberate fouling is cheating. Time wasting is cheating. Simulation is cheating. These aspects of the game arent going to suddenly disappear, and will only be reduced when the cost/benefit ratio changes and players can no longer gain an advantage by employing them.


  21. #195
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Mixer
    Posts
    33,811

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Rzarecteh View Post
    One thing that rarely gets mentioned in the VAR debate is momentum in football. It is vital. That's why it's deemed as cheating to time waste - because it quashes the momentum of the other team. It's why players go down pretending to be injured when in fact they aren't. They are killing the momentum, and VAR does this in abudance - that means it effects games negatively especially if there is no decision.

    I have no problem with the concept of VAR but if they are serious about VAR staying around for the love of god put a time limit on it. It should be quick like goal-line technology otherwise don't bother. They need to ditch the ref walking to a screen ASAP and stop these pauses after goals to check whether the goal is okay. If it's not okay you should know straight away, otherwise it's not clear cut.

    5 minute stoppages, 1 minute stoppages, it's all unacceptable because football is fueled on passion and emotion. If you have to watch a replay over and over again for minutes then it's not clear cut enough. They also shouldn't be able to slow the replays down as fouls always look worse slower.

    Wait till it reaches our level, as a spectator in the ground VAR is a disgrace. Nuno Espirito Santo is the only one that's talking about the emotion it's removing from the game, more should speak up.
    I completely agree that if a decision cant be made within 20 seconds or so then the on field ref's decision should stand. Clear cut mistakes are easy to spot. Obsessing about whether a player's finger nail is offside or not isnt helpful.


  22. #196
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    24,211

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    It’s a refereeing issue because the ref is there to implement the laws and stop the cheating. The more they do that, the less it happens.


  23. #197
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In the bath
    Posts
    5,544

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Goal line technology was a good idea. As for the rest of it, no thanks.
    All the issues we're trying to solve with var have been happening forever. You say time do something about it then, I say leave it alone and keep the game the same from grass roots to Prem level..
    Yeah mistakes are made, so be it.

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •