Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 197

Thread: The Official VAR Thread

      
  1. #101
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Not sure. Cell window too high.
    Posts
    2,609

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Actually, no. There aren’t.

    Clamping down on „simulation“ was one thing the Bundesliga did do very well (perhaps surprising, because, JŁrgen Klinsmann) but there isn’t that much diving - and what there is, is usually spotted quickly and punished with a Yellow card.

    Also something else here - better respect for officials. There isn’t the same level of dissent shown by players in the Bundesliga; that actually took me a few months to realise I hadn’t seen a player gobbing off at the Ref.
    I guessed as much, hence a far better landscape for the likes of VAR to nestle into - probably pretty much unnoticed. Unlike here where every VAR decision will have it's own song and dance written about it.

    Next you'll be telling me that goal scorers run straight to the player who created the chance to thank them... as opposed to the nearest pitch side camera to do a ridiculous pose. Jesus, 'our' football....


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #102
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Not sure. Cell window too high.
    Posts
    2,609

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Yates View Post
    Probably because it’s a minor league which Brian Munich win every season by about 40 points & + 300 goal difference
    And yet they've won the World Cup 4 times and European Championship 3 times.

    Of course Czechoslovakia, Denmark & Greece have also won the Euro Championship whilst England, with it's all powerful, "lets have a wank because we're the best" PREMIER LEAGUE.... well....


  4. #103
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    78,103

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Garry-Balding Red View Post
    Next you'll be telling me that goal scorers run straight to the player who created the chance to thank them... as opposed to the nearest pitch side camera to do a ridiculous pose. Jesus, 'our' football....
    That does happen quite frequently. And another thing Iíve noticed in German games, Referees are not overly officious to punish celebrations, even when a player slightly leaves the playing surface. I mean, thatís what the game is all about, isnít it?

    Last night, I watched VfB away to Hansa Rostock in the Cup, VfB won by a single goal and most of the team mobbed scorer Hamadi Al Ghaddioui when he scored.

    ĄI believe in socialism because it seems more humanitarian, rather than every man for himself and 'I'm alright jack' and all those arsehole businessmen with all the loot. I made up my mind from viewing society from that angle. That's where I'm from and there's where I've made my decisions from. That's why I believe in socialismď

    ó Joe Strummer

  5. #104
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    78,103

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Yates View Post
    Probably because itís a minor league which Brian Munich win every season by about 40 points & + 300 goal difference
    Brian Munich would be a great name for a Fantasy League Team.


  6. #105

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Garry-Balding Red View Post
    And yet they've won the World Cup 4 times and European Championship 3 times.

    Of course Czechoslovakia, Denmark & Greece have also won the Euro Championship whilst England, with it's all powerful, "lets have a wank because we're the best" PREMIER LEAGUE.... well....
    Forest have won the European Cup twice, we're still solidly div two.


  7. #106
    Left Winger
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lufthansa Business Lounge
    Posts
    78,103

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Ah, but England have won two World Wars, apparently, which must boost their UEFA coefficient?


  8. #107
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Not sure. Cell window too high.
    Posts
    2,609

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    That does happen quite frequently. And another thing I’ve noticed in German games, Referees are not overly officious to punish celebrations, even when a player slightly leaves the playing surface. I mean, that’s what the game is all about, isn’t it?
    Ah, well you see you've let me down with that Chris!

    EDIT: On the other hand I see you've highlighted part of my quote, indicating you're backing me up?

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Last night, I watched VfB away to Hansa Rostock in the Cup, VfB won by a single goal and most of the team mobbed scorer Hamadi Al Ghaddioui when he scored.
    So obviously no 'Rising Damp' re-runs over there then.

    Last edited by Garry-Balding Red; 13-08-19 at 09:58.

  9. #108
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Not sure. Cell window too high.
    Posts
    2,609

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    Forest have won the European Cup twice, we're still solidly div two.
    And proud of it (is the official stance).


  10. #109
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Not sure. Cell window too high.
    Posts
    2,609

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    Ah, but England have won two World Wars, apparently, which must boost their UEFA coefficient?
    Yes Chris, it absolutely does. Trouble is, the variable to be multiplied by it still stands at zero.


  11. #110
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,069

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Sadly we lost the peace.


  12. #111
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,762

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Garry-Balding Red View Post
    And yet they've won the World Cup 4 times and European Championship 3 times.

    Of course Czechoslovakia, Denmark & Greece have also won the Euro Championship whilst England, with it's all powerful, "lets have a wank because we're the best" PREMIER LEAGUE.... well....
    Although I wasn’t doing a comparison between the English & German national teams, just stating that the bungleleague or whatever it’s called isn’t a particularly intense league


  13. #112

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    And the national team is div 2


  14. #113
    Where's me hammer?
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    46,650

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Yates View Post
    Although I wasnít doing a comparison between the English & German national teams, just stating that the bungleleague or whatever itís called isnít a particularly intense league
    It's very German..... works but bit boring

    Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk


  15. #114
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,069

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Chatting to my son in law (West ham season ticket) and he said the VAR situation at the weekend v Man City was quite weird. Mostly lack of communication and the time taken for decisions.

    At times they had random postings on the big screen which left them scratching their heads trying to work out what was going on. For instance suddenly the screen says something like "Checking for red card" but they had no idea what red card.

    He is in favour, but it all needs to get sorted quickly before the fans at games turn against it.


  16. #115

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Haha. City have injury time winner v Spurs VARed out again.


  17. #116
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    24,211

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    That’s even more of a joke than the Wolves one.


  18. #117
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    24,211

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Would it be a penalty if it brushed a defender’s arm? I don’t think so?

    Whoever changed that law has not thought it through


  19. #118

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    City's winner would probably have stood yesterday, but for Jesus waving his teammates off after all the celebrations had died down to do some kind of Dad dancing. And Guardiola and Aguero being filmed close up having a last waltz.

    Somebody in Townsend's tactics truck would have been sat there thinking 'it'd be dead funny if we found something wrong with that one...'.

    I love VAR.


  20. #119
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,326

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    It's the biggest pile of crap ever.

    The moment the ball hits the back of net should be a moment of pure euphoria and joy, it's the single best thing about the game. This is literally destroying it.

    If you don't have those moments, that joy, that feeling, then what's the point in the game altogether?


  21. #120

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    VAR should be renamed St Peter.


  22. #121
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,069

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    VAR ruining the game. This is not football as we know it; those who think it's wonderful, wait until it comes to the Championship and we have a last minute winner ruled out.

    We have moved from the odd mistake by the officials on the field (which was instantly signalled and understood) to the mistakes in some caravan in the middle of nowhere which take minutes to resolve, completely unknown to those who matter, the fans and players.


  23. #122
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Mixer
    Posts
    33,811

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    The new handball laws are going to take a bit of getting used to. Managers, players and fans demanded consistency and now we have it - any handball in the build up to a goal will lead to it being disallowed. Black and white. I don’t like it, but it is consistent.

    ďA lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and make sure you are.Ē

  24. #123
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,326

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    The new handball laws are going to take a bit of getting used to. Managers, players and fans demanded consistency and now we have it - any handball in the build up to a goal will lead to it being disallowed. Black and white. I don’t like it, but it is consistent.
    Fans didn't demand consistency at all, neither did players, managers or whoever else was making the call. What they were after were the decisions against them to get overturned whilst the ones for them didn't.

    Anything you do where officials are concerned is going to be flawed when the people making the judgments have their own interests and advantages prioritised over fairness of the game and their demands of consistency will now swing to something else or alternatively, continue as when VAR gets used becomes an issue.

    The new handball rule is a joke, VAR is a joke and yet the complaints this is supposed to silence will continue, alongside the new complaints about VAR itself.

    Yesterday for example should have been about 2 of Englands finest sides coming up against each other, it should have been about the attacking movement of Man City and their wonderful play and Tottenhams clinical finishing. Yet all the managers, players, pundits and supporters are really talking about is VA fucking R!


  25. #124
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Mixer
    Posts
    33,811

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mouldynffc View Post
    Fans didn't demand consistency at all, neither did players, managers or whoever else was making the call. What they were after were the decisions against them to get overturned whilst the ones for them didn't.

    Anything you do where officials are concerned is going to be flawed when the people making the judgments have their own interests and advantages prioritised over fairness of the game and their demands of consistency will now swing to something else or alternatively, continue as when VAR gets used becomes an issue.

    The new handball rule is a joke, VAR is a joke and yet the complaints this is supposed to silence will continue, alongside the new complaints about VAR itself.

    Yesterday for example should have been about 2 of Englands finest sides coming up against each other, it should have been about the attacking movement of Man City and their wonderful play and Tottenhams clinical finishing. Yet all the managers, players, pundits and supporters are really talking about is VA fucking R!
    People aren’t used to VAR yet, so it will take a while to become familiar. I do think it should be used for the most obvious mistakes, with the more grey area calls being left to the on field referee.

    Look in the Referee thread on this forum for an example of how fans have demanded consistency. Watch any post match interview with any manager or player over the past few decades to see how the calls for consistency, and accuracy, with refereeing decisions has been a constant theme. I find it hard to understand how anyone could have missed it. Week after week of televised poor decisions and game changing referee gaffs is where the calls for VAR originated. It isn’t going to go away, although how it’s used still needs some tweaking.

    I’m not particularly a fan of the new handball law, but it is consistent at least.

    Last edited by Ravi; 18-08-19 at 12:51.

  26. #125
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Too close to Derby but still an NG postcode
    Posts
    1,006

    Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

    I dislike it and the worry is we can't come back from it now.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •