Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official VAR Thread

Default Re: The Official VAR Thread

If you want VAR to be used, I would just say proceed with caution. I live in the States and therefore have seen replay used in the sports over here. At first people like the novelty and "getting the calls correct" but then the sport will rely more and more on it and expand its usage. In the NFL it has reached the point of being ridiculous. It is a rule now that every touchdown is reviewed which just gives the league the opportunity to run more commercials. It has gotten to the point where people don't know whether to celebrate a score now because they have to wait for replay. It has taken all the spontaneity out of the game and the breaks for replay take longer every year. Now I realize Americans are used to stop/start sports with lots of breaks but watching an NFL game is fucking tedious. Games like basketball that have more of a flow are brought to a screeching halt because of replay.

I like goal line technology because it is instantaneous. If VAR can be used efficiently and above all quickly, then maybe (still don't like it even though I know it is inevitable) but the other day I watched the Portugal-Switzerland match and they had 7 minutes stoppage time in the 1st half due to VAR.

Football is the greatest sport there is and one reason is the flow of the game. Celebrating a goal is incredible. I would hate to see that taken away while we wait for a few minutes on VAR.

Last edited by BuckeyeRed; 10-06-19 at 05:38.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I like the idea of allowing each team a certain number of calls, as in cricket, with one being taken away for a wrong call. However, it still calls for an individual, either the ref or an official in a box, to make a decision often an interpretation rather than anything cut-and-dried.

I think the present competition has shown the weakness of the system both to spectators and, particularly, to players.

Someone with brains needs to find a way to use technology to preserve the integrity of the fast-flowing game whilst still using all the tools available. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Thumbs down Re: The Official VAR Thread

About 3 minutes waiting for a VAR penalty decision in the Copa America.

I hope the refs add on extra time for these infuriating pauses in play.

They waited ages the other day for a VAR decision in the Scotland game, at least 3 or 4 minutes, then at the end the ref adds on 5 minutes, which is nothing when they routinely add on the same time for subs and other nonsense.

Another sign of the disconnect of officialdom to the VAR problem.

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

I'm tempted to keep a tally of how often "big" teams get the perceived benefit of VAR, either a "not clear and not obvious" penalty being given to them, or some really sketchy reason to chalk off a goal against them, that sort of thing, and to additionally quantify them in terms of match outcome change

By "relegation battle", do you mean 7th, 12th or 14th?

Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

I just don’t understand why it takes so long. It’s taking the guys in the booth who are watching on monitors anyway minutes... then they tell the ref who spends about 30 seconds or a minute looking as well.

They should be experienced enough to only need 1 or 2 replays, not 10 or 20.

Quote Originally Posted by adam09 View Post
    I just donít understand why it takes so long. Itís taking the guys in the booth who are watching on monitors anyway minutes... then they tell the ref who spends about 30 seconds or a minute looking as well.

They should be experienced enough to only need 1 or 2 replays, not 10 or 20.
    Depends how useful the replay is. In cricket and rugby, it takes longer when the replay is inconclusive. We often hear the fourth umpire in cricket ask if there's any other angle for catch, when what he's seen isn't enough to base a decision on.

We don't hear the officials in the studio at all in football, which may be part of the problem at the moment. Nobody knows what is going on and it all still falls on the on field referee to communicate everything. And they are not even given the tools, like a mic or enough signals, to communicate that to everybody watching. There's little or nothing on the screens either. Everybody twiddles their thumbs for an indefinite amount of time.

Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 15-06-19 at 19:32.

In cricket and rugby, if it’s inconclusive on the replays, they stick with the original decision and get on with it don’t they? Don’t keep looking at the same angle over and over... then ask someone else to look at it as well.

The first thing they can change is to tell the ref straight away to come and look at it at the same time as the VAR team, rather than have him standing in the middle of the pitch, finger to ear waiting - the game is stopped anyway so doing it together will straight away save that minute or two.

Not necessarily. In cricket if they are using video replay to determine if the ball hit if a ball was caught on the bounce or has gone straight into the hands, the replays are often inconclusive.

The umpire in that case will usually ask if there are any other angles. He might just as well say 'oh FFS, thanks for passing me this one'. If there are no other replays he goes back to asking for the replays he has already seen to be rolled back and forth. And then he makes a call. And they do sometimes overturn the original decision. There might be a bit gut instinct in it.

Other decisions can be really quick. A run out say. Sees batsmsn clearly made his ground and first view, and that's sorted instantly.

In football, they are dealing will all kind of different decisions as it's not a play by play sport. Maybe they are checking a foul in the box but also have to consider whether there was a handball to bring the ball under control first.

Decisions will have to take to take differing length of time.

Quote Originally Posted by adam09 View Post
    In cricket and rugby, if it’s inconclusive on the replays, they stick with the original decision and get on with it don’t they? Don’t keep looking at the same angle over and over... then ask someone else to look at it as well.

The first thing they can change is to tell the ref straight away to come and look at it at the same time as the VAR team, rather than have him standing in the middle of the pitch, finger to ear waiting - the game is stopped anyway so doing it together will straight away save that minute or two.
    In rugby league the ref makes an on field decision and if inconclusive they go with the on field initial decision l. The problem is it can take 3 or 4 mins to get back to the on field decision. I hate video ref in RL.

Another infuriating thing about video ref in rl is you can tell on a sky replay a forward pass in 2 seconds, everyone in the stadium sees it on the big screen etc.. yet they aren’t allowed to give it.

If a football ref needs more than 2 replays, it's not clear or obvious.

Maybe. Fair enough.

But then what if it's not clear and obvious from the first two camera angles...then in the third it's clear and obvs?

How do they decide what is 'clear and obvious'? Does the call have to be unanimous with fkw in the studio?

Probably depends on what suits UEFA, FIFAs, Sky’s agenda for the outcome of the match

No issues with goal line technology but VAR is going make a mess of the game, it’d be fine if players & managers stopped cheating and trying to con the ref all the time

Quote Originally Posted by gamble View Post
    I'd argue it should be the ref and only the ref and then completely remove the "VAR cabin", the ref can then review any decision he is not 100% happy with and give the players/captain 2 or 3 reviews. The reason being as football has some very subjective moments so therefore their should be only 1 person making the decision and then in that game it is 100% fair for both sides.
    Yep, that could work maybe.

There would be no pressure on the ref to overturn their decision then.

Telling a referee that a team of referees with a better view doubt the decision, will inevitably lead to the decision being overturned. There's so much pressure for the decision to be overturned currently that the running to the side of the pitch is a waste of time.

The argument against doing around with the Townsend Tactics Truck I think will be that you're then relying on the referee doubting their original decision to review at all. They won't half the time, unless they're particularly indecisive, and then clear and obvious errors won't will still happen.

Time will tell whether the kinks are ironed out. It is certainly tricky getting the right balance with football being very different to nearly every other sport in terms of stoppages.

I’m sure it’s not easy, I guess they watch the game in real time and if an incident happens, one or two of them have to check it from different angles, I assume one has to carry on watching the game.

This is the problem with having interpretation. Who got that penalty the other day, where there was literally a brush of the arm and thevpkayer fell over... play went down the other end and a clear penalty was given. Yet VAR takes it back, tells ref to look at this non-foul, gives a penalty. That still needs cutting out - players cheating and refs having the bollocks to fuck them off.

If you remove the VAR crew, you still have 4 officials. They should really between them be able to say to one another, ‘are you sure about that one? Have a look on the tv’. You’d be fine overturning your own decision or your colleague on the pitch helping you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Flagman View Post
    I'm tempted to keep a tally of how often "big" teams get the perceived benefit of VAR, either a "not clear and not obvious" penalty being given to them, or some really sketchy reason to chalk off a goal against them, that sort of thing, and to additionally quantify them in terms of match outcome change

So:
    France get 1 from VAR. Funny that.

It's all about mid-table...

Get ridda the fukin thing.

It definitely has the potential to be very good for the game, but it does need to be handled properly and tweaked from its current format. They need to include the crowd and the audience at home with the decision, as now all you get is the camera on the on field ref for an inordinate amount of time. Basically they need to follow cricket's lead and be able to hear the officials talking it through too.

Obviously also needs the decision making process to speed up, and also exactly what gets referred. Maybe for now just limit it to offside decisions for a goal - at least that can be determined objectively (in most cases).

The surrounding of the referee when he's waiting on a decision is despicable as well.

At present the official VAR report (by me) is "Shambles".