Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 110

Thread: Paul Coutts

  1. #51
    Forum Tactician
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    B C UPPER
    Posts
    15,687

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Quote Originally Posted by MXJ View Post
    Yeah it’s a no from me. We need creativity and vision at the base of midfield so we can get Carvalho receiving the ball
    Agree, but does Martin? Certainly not on the evidence of what we've seen. We've had 3 Dms in midfield with more creative options sat at home.

    Coutts would be a decent Martin ONeill type player.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    10,055

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    Agree, but does Martin? Certainly not on the evidence of what we've seen. We've had 3 Dms in midfield with more creative options sat at home.

    Coutts would be a decent Martin ONeill type player.
    Great...


  4. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    LDN
    Posts
    2,241

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    He's better than chaff & we need better than Yates. Hopefully we've better in the pipeline, but Yates wont get us where we want to go next season, so somethings got to give.
    Agreed. He certainly isn't chaff..not that I'm saying he's the answer. But chaff he ain't.

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk


  5. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,734

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Quote Originally Posted by Heffing Psycho! View Post
    Yacob
    Watson
    Yates
    Guedioura
    Bridcutt
    Cash
    Osborn

    I think it's safe to assume that a couple of them are going this summer. We need two quality first team centre mids this summer though and unless 3 or 4 of that list at the top goes I'm not sure we'll be after backup centre mids.
    That's an uninspiring bunch.....


  6. #55
    Forum Tactician
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    B C UPPER
    Posts
    15,687

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Quote Originally Posted by TommyTomato View Post
    Agreed. He certainly isn't chaff..not that I'm saying he's the answer. But chaff he ain't.
    Thing is we've gone through the umpteenth consecutive uninspiring season in central midfield & we're turning our noses up at players like Coutts.

    He's been instrumental in Sheff Utds rise, our midfield needs underpinning with some quality, so Carvalho can do his thing at the business end. If theres better available Im all for it, but with Yates there, the other two central lads will always have one eye on what he;s not doing.

    Last edited by MASE; 12-05-19 at 08:58.

  7. #56

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    Thing is we've gone through the umpteenth consecutive uninspiring season in central midfield & we're turning our noses up at players like Coutts.

    He's been instrumental in Sheff Utds rise, our midfield needs underpinning with some quality, so Carvalho can do his thing at the business end. If theres better available Im all for it, but with Yates there, the other two central lads will always have one eye on what he;s not doing.
    Instrumental in league 1, maybe. Not in the Championship. I'm not sure 16 games last season and 12 games this season can be instrumental.

    We should be turning our noses up at someone who's good seasons have all come in League 1, is soon to be 31 and injury prone, and is pretty average already.


  8. #57
    Forum Tactician
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    B C UPPER
    Posts
    15,687

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stone's Mullet View Post
    Instrumental in league 1, maybe. Not in the Championship. I'm not sure 16 games last season and 12 games this season can be instrumental.
    Instrumental in their rise from League one to where they are now. I'll take Chris Wilders word for it.


  9. #58

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    Instrumental in their rise from League one to where they are now. I'll take Chris Wilders word for it.
    Yeah he was, from League 1.

    No harm in a manager praising an older pro for his time served. Much like people fondly remember Julian Bennett in helping us get from League 1 to Championship.

    Now he's retired and had that injury, people suddenly remember him as a much better player. Same has happened here with Coutts.


  10. #59
    Billy Davies long lost lovechild.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    41,718

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Stearman on how important Coutts was to the Blades incline before Norwood took over..........

    “Couttsy is such a lynchpin of our team,” defender Richard Stearman said. “I don’t know what he was doing that far forward in the first place, but we’d have gladly sacrificed three points that night to make sure he was fit for the season. It was a real blow for us, and who knows what we could have done with him available for the full season? It felt like a defeat for us, certainly, even though the game was pretty comfortable in terms of the scoreline.

    "We knew soon enough that it was season over for Couttsy and at the time he was one of our best performers, so it was devastating for us all. We didn’t know where it’d go from there but we tried to continue without him, and hopefully he can come back with a new leg and pick up where he left off.

    "He was one of the shining lights of our season. He went under the radar a little bit for many teams or fans of other sides in this division who won’t have known much about him. But they will now.”



  11. #60

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery View Post
    Stearman on how important Coutts was to the Blades incline before Norwood took over..........

    “Couttsy is such a lynchpin of our team,” defender Richard Stearman said. “I don’t know what he was doing that far forward in the first place, but we’d have gladly sacrificed three points that night to make sure he was fit for the season. It was a real blow for us, and who knows what we could have done with him available for the full season? It felt like a defeat for us, certainly, even though the game was pretty comfortable in terms of the scoreline.

    "We knew soon enough that it was season over for Couttsy and at the time he was one of our best performers, so it was devastating for us all. We didn’t know where it’d go from there but we tried to continue without him, and hopefully he can come back with a new leg and pick up where he left off.

    "He was one of the shining lights of our season. He went under the radar a little bit for many teams or fans of other sides in this division who won’t have known much about him. But they will now.”
    Looks like they actually did better without him...

    Oh, and they've still released him. Can't believe they're letting their 'lynchpin' walk away for nothing. When they could have got £5m for him

    Last edited by Steve Stone's Mullet; 12-05-19 at 10:54.

  12. #61
    Forum Tactician
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    B C UPPER
    Posts
    15,687

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery View Post
    Stearman on how important Coutts was to the Blades incline before Norwood took over..........

    “Couttsy is such a lynchpin of our team,” defender Richard Stearman said. “I don’t know what he was doing that far forward in the first place, but we’d have gladly sacrificed three points that night to make sure he was fit for the season. It was a real blow for us, and who knows what we could have done with him available for the full season? It felt like a defeat for us, certainly, even though the game was pretty comfortable in terms of the scoreline.

    "We knew soon enough that it was season over for Couttsy and at the time he was one of our best performers, so it was devastating for us all. We didn’t know where it’d go from there but we tried to continue without him, and hopefully he can come back with a new leg and pick up where he left off.

    "He was one of the shining lights of our season. He went under the radar a little bit for many teams or fans of other sides in this division who won’t have known much about him. But they will now.”
    Its pointless referencing folk who've managed him & played next to him.

    A Forest fan who's never seen him play knows best.


  13. #62
    Forum Tactician
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    B C UPPER
    Posts
    15,687

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stone's Mullet View Post
    Looks like they actually did better without him...

    Oh, and they've still released him. Can't believe they're letting their 'lynchpin' walk away for nothing. When they could have got £5m for him
    More about respect for the player than money I suspect.


  14. #63

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    More about respect for the player than money I suspect.
    Come off it. I've seen Coutts play plenty of times first of all.

    Secondly, teams do get promoted with average players in their squad, but they're not ones you should bust a gut to add.

    Coutts is a hark working player, I can totally see why he is someone who the players and staff would love. He's a water carrier, will put his body on the line for his team, will put his head where it hurts and then pass to better players.

    But he's an average player. He's abouts to turn 31 and there's still no changing his injury history. He's hardly had a glittering career at this level, his best two seasons are the last two, but he's played less than 50% of games in each of them. i'd wager it's closer to 30% played.

    Clubs release players all the time and talk well of them all the time. I've seen enough of Coutts to say in a years time we'd be pissed off that we've given a 2yr+ deal to someone who plays no more than half a season and still can't play through the lines.

    I know you're debating on principle here, but i'd be thoroughly pissed off if Paul Coutts is what we're aiming for this summer. The irony in this is the questioning in our ambition from Alf all this past season based on our targets, then he wants a ten a penny injury prone 31yr old midfielder, when we already have plenty of warm bodies.

    I'll be interested to see where Coutts career goes from here. Lower Champ team, or maybe a nice move back to Scotland.


  15. #64
    Billy Davies long lost lovechild.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    41,718

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stone's Mullet View Post
    Looks like they actually did better without him...

    Oh, and they've still released him. Can't believe they're letting their 'lynchpin' walk away for nothing. When they could have got £5m for him
    They did better without him? Here are the facts:

    Nov 17th Coutts breaks leg. Results that season up until his injury:

    W L L W W W W L W W L W W W L W W - 12wins, 5 defeats. 36pts from 17 games. 2.11ppg with Coutts in the side.

    Results after his injury

    L D L L L D W L D D W L L W W L W L D W D D D L W D L L W - 8 wins, 9 draws, 12 defeats. 33pts from 29 games. 1.14ppg.

    Sheff U couldn't even match their points total from 17 games with Coutts in 29 games without him.


  16. #65

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Quote Originally Posted by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery View Post
    They did better without him? Here are the facts:

    Nov 17th Coutts breaks leg. Results that season up until his injury:

    W L L W W W W L W W L W W W L W W - 12wins, 5 defeats. 36pts from 17 games. 2.11ppg with Coutts in the side.

    Results after his injury

    L D L L L D W L D D W L L W W L W L D W D D D L W D L L W - 8 wins, 9 draws, 12 defeats. 33pts from 29 games. 1.14ppg.

    Sheff U couldn't even match their points total from 17 games with Coutts in 29 games without him.
    I'm sure he's played later this season? I've see him play towards the end of the season.


  17. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    10,055

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    He's a good squad player but I just don't think that's what we're after in centre mid at the moment. MON has said it's all out for promotion next season, is Coutts gonna be a mainstay in a team going all out for promotion?

    Like I said if we end up moving out Bridcutt, Watson, Yacob and Guedioura then he'd be a great shout as a backup midfielder, can't really see us getting rid of all of them though.



    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stone's Mullet View Post
    I'm sure he's played later this season? I've see him play towards the end of the season.
    Yeah his injury was last season not this.

    Last edited by Heffing Psycho!; 12-05-19 at 11:19.

  18. #67
    Warp Speed Chic
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    8,897

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Gone Burton


  19. #68

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Quote Originally Posted by Heffing Psycho! View Post
    He's a good squad player but I just don't think that's what we're after in centre mid at the moment. MON has said it's all out for promotion next season, is Coutts gonna be a mainstay in a team going all out for promotion?

    Like I said if we end up moving out Bridcutt, Watson, Yacob and Guedioura then he'd be a great shout as a backup midfielder, can't really see us getting rid of all of them though.





    Yeah his injury was last season not this.
    Ah so that's from last season, makes sense.

    He was a lynchpin in the 13 games this season too, as well as the 16 last season.


  20. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,166

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Yeah

    Colback
    CM
    Yates
    Guedioura

    Is my main 4 CMs for next season.

    Personally don't think Coutts is the answer to any Forest related questions. Maybe a Wigan ?


  21. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    10,055

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stone's Mullet View Post
    Ah so that's from last season, makes sense.

    He was a lynchpin in the 13 games this season too, as well as the 16 last season.
    I actually think he only started 1 game this season and that was vs us when we beat them at home.


  22. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    10,055

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Quote Originally Posted by BryanRoy View Post
    Yeah

    Colback
    CM
    Yates
    Guedioura

    Is my main 4 CMs for next season.

    Personally don't think Coutts is the answer to any Forest related questions. Maybe a Wigan ?
    That'd be my preference too, Colback if we can but definitely need two starters in there, I'd keep Yacob too but I expect he'll probably go.


  23. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,166

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Quote Originally Posted by Heffing Psycho! View Post
    That'd be my preference too, Colback if we can but definitely need two starters in there, I'd keep Yacob too but I expect he'll probably go.
    I do like Yacob to an extent too. But he really is limited to being a DM sitter in a 4-1-4-1 or 4-2-3-1

    Like you I do think he will move because we can't offer the playing time he wants and weighing things up whether it is worth it to carry unnecessary financial wage.

    But also if we play 3 at the back often it would be far better to have versatile performers like Colback and Yates who can sit and get box-to-box with mobility they offer depending on what is required of them.

    Someone like Yates could come on for the last 10-15 minutes and give us something in both boxes in closing out games too whereas a Yacob type player on the bench wouldn't be a necessity so it all comes down to can we offer him what he wants or rather release something not needed.

    Obviously Guedioura can stay as the experienced head and partner Yates in those initial cup games and take him under his wing. I think they would suit each other. Obviously that unpredictability about Guedioura and his legs going will have the luxury of the youthful Yates which not a lot tends to get past which can't be said of Guedioura so he can play with freedom. Also Guedioura would also be great because of keeping Soudani company and our potential French-speaking contingent at the City Ground.


  24. #73
    Billy Davies long lost lovechild.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    41,718

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stone's Mullet View Post
    Come off it. I've seen Coutts play plenty of times first of all.

    He's a water carrier, will put his body on the line for his team, will put his head where it hurts and then pass to better players.

    But he's an average player.
    I think you only have to look at the stats posted on last season to see how much of a difference he made to Sheff U. To go from 2.11ppg to 1.14ppg is a significant drop, as is going from winning 7 out of 10 games with Coutts, to only 1 out the next 10 games without him.

    I'd argue it's more a case of you seeing what he does as average, much like how some fans think Scott Gemmill & Paul McKenna were average players, rather than him being average.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stone's Mullet View Post

    The irony in this is the questioning in our ambition from Alf all this past season based on our targets, then he wants a ten a penny injury prone 31yr old midfielder, when we already have plenty of warm bodies.

    I'll be interested to see where Coutts career goes from here. Lower Champ team, or maybe a nice move back to Scotland.
    As I've already said, ideally I'd like to see us sign 2 quality midfielders. But with what Colback will cost, and what needs spending elsewhere on the side, we also need to consider other options too as I don't think we'll practically be able to afford it.

    I'm also considering that I think MON has Yates penned in for a role next year. So I can see him signing Colback, but realistically I can't see him then wanting to spend millions on another player there, with Yates already appearing to be firmly in his plans.

    With that & Colback's signing in mind, overall I feel that CM is gonna be the area we look at cheaper options to replace those who'll likely leave such as Yacob & Geddy.

    Last edited by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos; 12-05-19 at 12:20.

  25. #74
    Forum Tactician
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    B C UPPER
    Posts
    15,687

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Guedioura wont get game time under ONeill, he'd have had it by now.

    Yates clearly deemed a far safer option. Don't go along with that theory personally, Guediouras influence at both ends of the pitch are being vastly underrated. Yates may well assume positions up the pitch, but they come to precisely nothing, why compromise your defensive position.

    If Yates has to play, which I dont think he should, he should sit & break up play.


  26. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Trent End
    Posts
    15,848

    Default Re: Paul Coutts

    Quote Originally Posted by Heffing Psycho! View Post
    That'd be my preference too, Colback if we can but definitely need two starters in there, I'd keep Yacob too but I expect he'll probably go.
    We need better players coming in that what we already have, not another squad player. We have loads in that position as it is. Quality not quantity.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •