Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

View Poll Results: Who's Going Up?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leeds

    1 4.00%
  • Villa

    17 68.00%
  • West Brom

    1 4.00%
  • Derby

    6 24.00%
Page 36 of 54 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 876 to 900 of 1334

Thread: Football League Play-offs

      
  1. #876
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    652

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    Darren Pratley play off goal brings back memories
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    Pratley specialises in dramatic play off goals.



  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many

  3. #877

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by GOBIAS View Post
    I last went to Charlton around 2009 under Billy. Earnshaw and Tyson scores. I was horrendously pissed. Stewards really friendly, fans are friendly, really decent London club. Apart from Lee Bowyer.
    They must be the most inoffensive set of football club in country, I think. I live 1.5 miles from the Valley. You never hear from Charlton fans. They're third div now, but it wasn't any different when they were Championship or even PL. Never any twatish behaviour about, or any behaviour in general. If you weren't a football fan, you wouldn't even know they were there. And you can't even see the Valley unless until you're practically at turnstiles.

    I know plenty of Millwall fans. The Den must be four miles away. You'd assume Millwall were the local club, yet Charlton are better supported (or would be in the same div). Charlton fans must just watch football and then just get on with their lives. It's not what you come to expect.


  4. #878

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    Lived over a decade within walking distance of the Valley and still the only Charlton Athletic bias I've ever heard came from Jacko in Brush Strokes.


  5. #879
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    6,770

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    Penalties at the Charlton end of the ground without the toss of a coin, just another example of bias towards London clubs by those in charge


  6. #880
    Cato Road SW4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Dangerously close to Infernos
    Posts
    23,751

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Yates View Post
    Penalties at the Charlton end of the ground without the toss of a coin, just another example of bias towards London clubs by those in charge
    They just couldn't give a toss could they


  7. #881

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by adam09 View Post
    Job done.
    ...Davies


  8. #882

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by GOBIAS View Post
    That is strange. For safety reasons they have to take penalties at the Charlton end. Wtf? That isn’t on. Should be toss of a coin. What possible safety reasons could there be?
    I don't think the team finishing higher is given enough of an advantage, so think it worked out fair by accident. Stuff like this in the second leg maybe ought to be automatically home choice.


  9. #883
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    'ull
    Posts
    11,054

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    I don't think the team finishing higher is given enough of an advantage, so think it worked out fair by accident. Stuff like this in the second leg maybe ought to be automatically home choice.
    Maybe, but it should be done properly then. I bet WBA were watching Charlton thinking they should have done the same v villa.


  10. #884

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by GOBIAS View Post
    Maybe, but it should be done properly then. I bet WBA were watching Charlton thinking they should have done the same v villa.
    Yeah, perhaps. But Charlton earned any advantage they had by playing at home last night I reckon.

    And if the police made the decision based on the behaviour of Doncaster fans during the match, I even less sympathy.


  11. #885

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    Heard an argument for doing away with penalties completely and having the higher place team go through after a draw. Would be fair. Though could make the football a bit more negative.


  12. #886
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    'ull
    Posts
    11,054

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    Yeah, perhaps. But Charlton earned any advantage they had by playing at home last night I reckon.

    And if the police made the decision based on the behaviour of Doncaster fans during the match, I even less sympathy.
    There was only 1500 of the fuckers, also what were they likely to do? As opposed to what Charlton fans did? I’m not being a killjoy, I like a good pitch invasion.


  13. #887
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    'ull
    Posts
    11,054

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    Heard an argument for doing away with penalties completely and having the higher place team go through after a draw. Would be fair. Though could make the football a bit more negative.

    Difficult to know how that might play out. Obviously there would be an extra advantage which is no doubt earned but in some respects mentally could be dangerous. The higher team playing the game out which can be risky whereas the team lower down have clarity and know they have to go for it. I reckon that is a recipe for the lower down team to go through.


  14. #888
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    'ull
    Posts
    11,054

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    I’m all for the higher teams getting a better reward for finishing higher, but should be across the board, in the rules and not decided by the local police.


  15. #889
    May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    39,358

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    Heard an argument for doing away with penalties completely and having the higher place team go through after a draw. Would be fair. Though could make the football a bit more negative.
    Have a penalty shootout BEFORE kickoff.

    Come the 120th minute, both teams will know the outcome of the penalties..

    You absolutely wouldn't get teams fucking around for the last 15 mins of extra time, knowing they've lost the penalties already.....

    By "relegation battle", do you mean 7th, 12th or 14th?

    Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

  16. #890

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    The team that won an earlier shoot out will still fcuk about. As long as one team is going through with the scoreline as it is fifteen minutes left, they'll seek to stop actual football being played in the football match. When the media are praising teams "game management" there's not much chance of seeing a lot of football in the last fifteen minutes.

    I'm all for a 60 minute game clock. Won't happen any time soon. But everybody hates the time wasting in football, unless it's their team winning and preventing football being played. Game clock would eliminate time wasting instantly as all teams would be delaying is their tea. Injury time doesn't work as they add on around a sixth of the time lost every game.

    Penalties before hand, I don't know. Without the jeopardy, could be a bit underwhelming.

    Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 19-05-19 at 06:29.

  17. #891
    It's all about mid-table...
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wetherspoons
    Posts
    16,317

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    All for reducing the ridiculous time wasting and "game management".

    Give the poor supporters some value, they pay for the fooker.


  18. #892
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,011

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by Heffing Psycho! View Post
    Lad playing for Charlton named after the sweets looks good.
    I had a look at the lineups to see who you were on about and just realised Jonny Williams plays for Charlton. He went downhill quickly; thought he was destined for big things when he came here...

    He's also completely bald now.


  19. #893
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,487

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by Rzarecteh View Post
    You could say that about any manager!
    True, but SOD had us 7th just outside the playoffs, Mccleish then had a shocking 8 game spell and ruined the season, Billy then came in and we narrowly missed out. Had we gone straight from SOD to Billy or kept SOD we would almost certainly of stayed around the top 6.


  20. #894
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,011

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    Heard an argument for doing away with penalties completely and having the higher place team go through after a draw. Would be fair. Though could make the football a bit more negative.
    These games are treated as cup games. As a neutral, it would be incredibly underwhelming if, ultimately, it came down to league position.


  21. #895

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTe View Post
    These games are treated as cup games. As a neutral, it would be incredibly underwhelming if, ultimately, it came down to league position.
    Perhaps. I don't see the point in two legs though. Its doesn't happen in non league now . And the first legs aren't particularly exciting anyway.

    There are also plenty of cup competitions that use seedlings to give an advantage to those who were better in qualifying.


  22. #896
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,011

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    Perhaps. I don't see the point in two legs though. Its doesn't happen in non league now . And the first legs aren't particularly exciting anyway.

    There are also plenty of cup competitions that use seedlings to give an advantage to those who were better in qualifying.
    I think the way the Leeds-Derby fixture played out shows exactly how good a two legged affair can be.

    Although it's not really necessary, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as exciting had it gone straight to Elland Road and they'd played a match with a conservative tempo and won 1-nil. The fact that Derby played 45-50mins of gung-ho football is what made it the tie it was and it was only because they had nothing to lose that led to that. They wouldn't have played that way if the first leg hadn't happened.

    For a neutral, it was staggering. As good as the comebacks at Liverpool and Amsterdam in the Champions League earlier this month.

    I don't care about any of the teams involved but the match-ups were real classics for the neutral.


  23. #897
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Mixer
    Posts
    33,904

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTe View Post
    I think the way the Leeds-Derby fixture played out shows exactly how good a two legged affair can be.

    Although it's not really necessary, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as exciting had it gone straight to Elland Road and they'd played a match with a conservative tempo and won 1-nil. The fact that Derby played 45-50mins of gung-ho football is what made it the tie it was and it was only because they had nothing to lose that led to that. They wouldn't have played that way if the first leg hadn't happened.

    For a neutral, it was staggering. As good as the comebacks at Liverpool and Amsterdam in the Champions League earlier this month.

    I don't care about any of the teams involved but the match-ups were real classics for the neutral.
    I agree. A 'story' can play out over two legs which isn't likely in a one off game.

    To me the play offs are the highlight of the season from a neutral point of view. I don't see a need to change any aspect of them.

    “A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and make sure you are.”

  24. #898

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTe View Post
    I think the way the Leeds-Derby fixture played out shows exactly how good a two legged affair can be.

    Although it's not really necessary, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as exciting had it gone straight to Elland Road and they'd played a match with a conservative tempo and won 1-nil. The fact that Derby played 45-50mins of gung-ho football is what made it the tie it was and it was only because they had nothing to lose that led to that. They wouldn't have played that way if the first leg hadn't happened.
    I don't think Leeds v Derby would have been be any different. Teams are cautious in the first leg tend to be concerned with still being in it. Their whole season is settled usually in the second half of the second leg as every lead causes the losing team to throw the kitchen sink at saving their season by that stage if the tie.

    I was at a one leg semi final a couple of weeks ago that broke open just as the second legs tend to do. We were following the Charlton game happening down the road from the pub on Friday. 83 mins 1-1. Everybody knew there would be a goal one end or another. Doncaster have throw the kitchen sink because the whole season is down the pan if they don't. And Charlton are going to be on edge hanging on, its natural.

    It's getting close to the final whistle and the end of a season for one team that causes what we saw at Leeds, Charlton and every play off second leg Forest have played in. Like runners will still stay in the race in the pack for most of the race until moves are made late on and it blows apart, in both a 1500m and marathon.

    For Leeds v Derby, Leeds take the lead, Derby still have to play the same way. Their whole season is over in 45 mins unless they force a goal. We're going to get the same kind of game. They didn't have that fear conceding in the first leg, they could do more damage going gung-ho then.

    That's the way I see it. Champions League is different because there is no reason to make those ties one leg.

    Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 19-05-19 at 16:18.

  25. #899
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,741

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    VAR not in place for the Play-off Final as it would provide an "Unfair Advantage".

    Hang on, isn't this the whole point of VAR? Not as if there is much at stake in this match is there?

    Wembley is set up to use it. Both clubs would probably want to use it. So why not use it?

    Hope Grealish gets away with punching the winner in.


  26. #900
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    9,095

    Default Re: Football League Play-offs

    Quote Originally Posted by Trents View Post
    VAR not in place for the Play-off Final as it would provide an "Unfair Advantage".

    Hang on, isn't this the whole point of VAR? Not as if there is much at stake in this match is there?

    Wembley is set up to use it. Both clubs would probably want to use it. So why not use it?

    Hope Grealish gets away with punching the winner in.
    Sounds a bit dotty to me, too.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •