Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Season

Hybrid View

Default Next Season

Start of the season we took 2 steps forward and we had a style of play and a formation that worked well against the better footballing teams in the division. We were at times exciting to watch scoring plenty of goals and hard to beat.

Fast forward to today ....

We have take 5 steps back

Long ball or players just running with the ball and losing it ... no creativity ... no obvious game plan ... our most creative and talented player not getting games .. we are now easy to beat

So we are now in a worse state (not league position) than we was last season at this point.

The players are good enough to be up there challenging for play offs (not top 2) ... If we had continued with AK I firmly believe we would be in the mix for play offs right now and be ready for a big challenge next season if wasn't promoted.

If MON stays we have another huge turn over of players and get the usual excuses of the team needs to gel again ... he then gets sacked around or before xmas when we are mid table and then hit with FFP and get a transfer embargo !!!

Sorry to be all doom and gloom ... But the way we have gone from positive to negative this season has destroyed all hope I had that we could potentially be a prem club in the next couple of seasons.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Someone fetch a priest!

Default Re: Next Season

We're not as bad as some people make out

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    No, we're worse.

Might be the case, but relative to where we were headed, it doesn't feel that way.

I agree with the sentiment of the OP, we'll likely recruit big, non footballers to continue the trend of 3/4 touches in midfield. Just can't find anything to get remotely excited about.

We are

It appears to have been done to death in the Martin thread. I agree we’ve gone backwards, I have at times been utterly seething how Aitor’s position was made untenable. Perhaps there was more to it, we’ll never know. One thing is for sure, Martin is taking a lot of the flack. Some of it I truly believe is his own doing but none the less if he is still the manager come the end of the season (I think he will be), we’ll just have to see what happens on the pitch come August, enjoy our summer because worrying about Forest can be become all-consuming and at the end of the day it’s all out of our control.

Last edited by Lincs_Red; 15-04-19 at 11:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincs_Red View Post
    It appears to have been done to death in the Martin thread. I agree we’ve gone backwards, I have at times been utterly seething how Aitor’s position was made untenable. Perhaps there was more to it, we’ll never know. One thing is for sure, Martin is taking a lot of the flack. Some of it I truly believe is his own doing but none the less if he is still the manager come the end of the season (I think he will be), we’ll just have to see what happens on the pitch come August, enjoy our summer because worrying about Forest can be become all-consuming and at the end of the day it’s all out of our control.
    I think you've nailed it there. However much we agree that changing managers every six months is daft, it's out of our hands. I like to see changing tactics during a match. Maybe it'll work eventually.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Similar to Otis' attempts to eradicate the use of "would of", I'm feeling inspired to attempt the same for "we was".

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Project Zeus View Post
    Similar to Otis' attempts to eradicate the use of "would of", I'm feeling inspired to attempt the same for "we was".

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    We wo?

“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

You know, if you remove all the d's from Edward Woodward's name he becomes "Ewar Woowar"

Last edited by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery; 15-04-19 at 11:35.

It's all about mid-table...

I think we'll win the league if MoNaRK's given the chance to build a team of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymondo Ponte' View Post
    I think we'll win the league if MoNaRK's given the chance to build a team of their own.
    If he builds it, they will come...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    If he builds it, they will come...
    If he builds it, we'll be done.

In MONs early weeks in charge, he would only talk about till the end of the season. The 18 month contract also points to a short stint.

Any "blown away" feel good factor is long gone from EMs mind I would think. If AK wasn't given more funds for Jan window with the team sitting 7th, I can't see even more substantial money on the way in the summer to MON for major surgery.

Unless form picks up significantly in the remaining 4 matches I expect "by mutual concent" being mentioned in the summer.

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raymondo Ponte' View Post
    What is that estimation based off? Because from what I'm seeing I think its more likely we end up at the other end of the table

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosNFFC View Post
    Start of the season we took 2 steps forward and we had a style of play and a formation that worked well against the better footballing teams in the division. We were at times exciting to watch scoring plenty of goals and hard to beat.
    But it didn't work against the worse footballing teams in the division (i.e. the majority of the division).

Manager didn't seem willing to make any changes to accommodate this AT ALL.

It was better than we'd seen for a long time, playoffs a possibility, promotion highly unlikely.

Two steps forward, one step back.

Ironically, Saturday's performance reminded very much of those matches under AK, lots of possession and creativity against a crap team but end up with nothing to show for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Wolfgang Schnell BSc. PhD. View Post
    But it didn't work against the worse footballing teams in the division (i.e. the majority of the division).

Manager didn't seem willing to make any changes to accommodate this AT ALL.
    We'd evolved a certain style to fit the players, compromising that against a team hell bent on sitting 10 men behind the ball would have yielded the same results we're seeing now, with players being asked to do things that doesnt suit them.

Some attacking reinforcement in Jan, like a RW & ACM would have helped. Sadly we didnt get that far into the process.

Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    We'd evolved a certain style to fit the players, compromising that against a team hell bent on sitting 10 men behind the ball would have yielded the same results we're seeing now, with players being asked to do things that doesnt suit them.
    Other teams can do it but we can't ?

The players aren't good enough to play in more than one style ? Ever ??

It's laughable that you (or anyone) should think that is true.

It was the stubbornness / incapability / ego of the management.

Some attacking reinforcement in Jan, like a RW & ACM would have helped. Sadly we didnt get that far into the process.
    For some people it will forever be "buy more players". But, but ... we just need one more.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Wolfgang Schnell BSc. PhD. View Post
    Other teams can do it but we can't ?

The players aren't good enough to play in more than one style ? Ever ??

It's laughable that you (or anyone) should think that is true.

It was the stubbornness / incapability / ego of the management.

For some people it will forever be "buy more players". But, but ... we just need one more.
    We lost just twice all season before the meltdown. Really, why would you deviate from that & confuse things. Its not like we were rigid anyway, but effectively AK wanted to play on the break. He offered more men forward against the shit sides & backed em to get through.

We needed at least two more, that was pretty obvious & part of the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    We needed at least two more, that was pretty obvious & part of the plan.
    If you're talking about Karanka then I think you're missing a 1 or 0.

Miserable bastard

The players are good enough to be up there challenging for play offs (not top 2) ... If we had continued with AK I firmly believe we would be in the mix for play offs right now and be ready for a big challenge next season if wasn't promoted.
    This is the only bit I disagree with. The players were not good enough to be challenging for the play-offs, as they never managed to get themselves into a play-off spot. The defence, in particular had completely fallen apart and AK didn't seem to have any plans to fix this, beyond Yacob and Robinson continuing to pretend to be centre-backs and Osborn or Janko continuing to pretend to be left-backs. We would probably still be waiting for Figs or Dawson to come back from injury now.

At this time it is, of course, certain we will sign several brilliant players, all the fans will be buzzing and we'll be promoted by Christmas.

So who is looking forward to seeing Murphy, McClean and Walters in the starting line-up?

I know Walters is retired but he won't say no to MON and a 5 year contract.

Last edited by Retro; 15-04-19 at 15:34.

Fast forward to today ....

We have take 5 steps back

Long ball or players just running with the ball and losing it ... no creativity ... no obvious game plan ... our most creative and talented player not getting games .. we are now easy to beat

So we are now in a worse state (not league position) than we was last season at this point.

If MON stays we have another huge turn over of players and get the usual excuses of the team needs to gel again ... he then gets sacked around or before xmas when we are mid table and then hit with FFP and get a transfer embargo !!!

Sorry to be all doom and gloom ... But the way we have gone from positive to negative this season has destroyed all hope I had that we could potentially be a prem club in the next couple of seasons.
    I'm not convinced that we took two steps forward under Karanka at the time he left we weren't looking very good at all, it was his team and he'd spent a huge amount of money. Having originally stating he wanted a slimline hungry squad it was bloated and likely to get fatter.. Maybe a couple forward one to the side and then one back.. MON seems to be currently looking in the wrong direction and getting a jog on.. They are both shit...

Quote Originally Posted by stockers View Post
    I'm not convinced that we took two steps forward under Karanka at the time he left we weren't looking very good at all, it was his team and he'd spent a huge amount of money. Having originally stating he wanted a slimline hungry squad it was bloated and likely to get fatter.. Maybe a couple forward one to the side and then one back.. MON seems to be currently looking in the wrong direction and getting a jog on.. They are both shit...
    I thought AK was unlucky with the defensive crisis ... He pretty much lost the whole back 4 and it effected results .. This also led to Yacob who for me was playing superb in the middle having to play CB so the midfield suffered to.

Its just so frustrating going from excitement for every game thinking we have a solid chance of beating anyone to dreading every games and playing awful with no obvious game plan and no intensity .. and I cant see it improving under MON and the whole time he is in charge I feel is just taking us backwards

I thought AK was unlucky with the defensive crisis ... He pretty much lost the whole back 4 and it effected results .. This also led to Yacob who for me was playing superb in the middle having to play CB so the midfield suffered to.

Its just so frustrating going from excitement for every game thinking we have a solid chance of beating anyone to dreading every games and playing awful with no obvious game plan and no intensity .. and I cant see it improving under MON and the whole time he is in charge I feel is just taking us backwards
    But how many times has that happened now?

Davies sat top 6 all season under Fawaz, massive injury crisis and cops the blame for it.

Pearce rolling along nicely as we challenge the top 6, his 3 key players get injured, suddenly he's the worst manager ever.

Warbs is steadily improving us, has us sat 7th after 18 matches, then Murphs gets knocked out his stride and we slip down the table.

Same old isn't it? And we're again back to the core problem - quality strength in depth. Something which never gets built because every other window we start from scratch again.

We not only need to finish the job building a quality first 11, we also need a good second 11 to cover, back up for them, and time for it to gel. Which is never gonna happen pushing reset every few months.