Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Players to Walk off if there is Racial Abuse

Senior Doom Monger

Default Players to Walk off if there is Racial Abuse

Story on BBC Sports web page saying that managers should take their teams off in the event of racially abusive chanting.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47751775

Is this the answer to the problem?
    I don't believe it is.
    I have paid my money to see a full 90 minutes (plus time added on for stoppages).
    If a manager withdraws his team part way through a game and, as suggested by one manager, they have a 10 minute break to allow the stewards etc to sort the perpetrators out, than it will disrupt the normal flow of a match.
    Given the pressures on managers to win at all costs I can envisage at some point a manager whose team is losing to call his players off for 10 minutes on the grounds that he, the manager, heard racial abuse.
    I am not sure of what the solution should be, but more disruption to what should be a beautiful, flowing game is not in the interests of the game, the players, or the fans.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Players to Walk off if there is Racial Abuse

I agree that measures need to be taken to eradicate racial abuse from football but calling Ďtime-outí during a match definitely isnít the right way.

If this was the case, where do you draw the line? Would be as little as one comment from one person in the crowd or would it need to be above a certain number or a certain level of noise? How about other derogatory comments or chants or even actions? Are they going to stop the match for homophobic comments or sexual references or political comments?

Whoever suggested this cause of action really hasnít thought it through.

'Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings' - Salvador Dali 1904-1989

I think 'odd' is a good thing. Oddness shows originality, uniqueness and a desire to be different from the masses. Oddness is, maybe, only deemed 'odd' by the majority who are considered less odd but only by their own blinkered observations and understanding. Oddness should never be criticised but be encouraged to nurture, develop individualism and to explore the mind rather than conform to expectation and 'normality'. Many of the world's greatest works of art and prose were born from those minds many considered to be 'odd'.
    [/url]

Itís a crime to abuse someone verbally based upon protected characteristics. Arrest the offender. If they can kick someone out for standing up, they can collar someone for shouting abuse.

Matches arenít stopped, players do not walk off when a customer (yes, customer) physically assaults another customer. Jack Grealish was punched the other week and played on, not that he should have been under any obligation to do so at that point. Verbal crimes should not be reacted to more severely.

This is also something that should be entirely self-policing. If someone is in our stand, being racist, the rest of us should have them removed. Same goes for fans of every club.

Billy Davies long lost lovechild.

Gutted, thought it said "Players to Wank Off if there is Racial Abuse"

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

lol

Nah this is definitely the right way to do things.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

The Clapham Crusader

I actually agree with taking players off if the manager feels they are being racially abused. Yes it would interrupt the match and yes would probably mar right-thinking spectators enjoyment of the event but to me that is a lesser evil than someone being subjected to abuse of that kind.

No-one should have to endure that kind of abuse in the workplace and footballers are no exception.

The Clapham Crusader

If I was at a talk or a lecture or something and people started shouting racial abuse at the speaker I wouldn't expect them to have to just carry on and endure it, regardless of how much I've paid etc.

I don't see why footballers should have to.

The Clapham Crusader

UEFA and FIFA need to start banning sides whose fans racially abuse players

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    If I was at a talk or a lecture or something and people started shouting racial abuse at the speaker I wouldn't expect them to have to just carry on and endure it, regardless of how much I've paid etc.

Ex-fucking-actly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

That analogy doesn't really work, a lecturer would walk out if every time they spoke the whole theatre booed them or called them a sheep shagger.

Footballers get so much abuse and its kind of expected, its there to wind them up and put them off their game (see Britt Assombalonga). Racist/homophobic abuse is too far but a walk out wouldn't solve the problem and I don't know what will.

Senior Curmudgeon

I actually agree with taking players off if the manager feels they are being racially abused. Yes it would interrupt the match and yes would probably mar right-thinking spectators enjoyment of the event but to me that is a lesser evil than someone being subjected to abuse of that kind.

No-one should have to endure that kind of abuse in the workplace and footballers are no exception.
    Self-policing in the crowd is the right response but failing that then the players should feel able to leave the field but with the agreement of the officials. Unfortunately some managers aren't beyond manipulating the issue to their advantage and therefore completely devaluing the issue.

The Clapham Crusader

Quote Originally Posted by gamble View Post
    That analogy doesn't really work, a lecturer would walk out if every time they spoke the whole theatre booed them or called them a sheep shagger.
    We're not talking about booing etc though are we? We're talking about racism.

We're not talking about booing etc though are we? We're talking about racism.
    Yeah I know, I said the analogy just isn't the same and is uncomparable, in any job if you got the abuse Footballers get you'd walk away from the job.

The Clapham Crusader

Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    Self-policing in the crowd is the right response but failing that then the players should feel able to leave the field but with the agreement of the officials. Unfortunately some managers aren't beyond manipulating the issue to their advantage and therefore completely devaluing the issue.
    Precisely. If players feel they are being subjected to racial abuse they shouldn't have to put up with that IMO and should be able to leave the field. Problem is the decision has to come from the manager otherwise you'd just see players walking off of their own accord.

Bottom line is though - don't be fucking racist.

The Clapham Crusader

Yeah I know, I said the analogy just isn't the same and is uncomparable, in any job if you got the abuse Footballers get you'd walk away from the job.
    Totally disagree with that. No way should you have to walk away from a job because some idiots give you racist abuse. That's not a society I want to live in.

Totally disagree with that. No way should you have to walk away from a job because some idiots give you racist abuse. That's not a society I want to live in.
    I'm not saying that, I'm staying in any job if you were getting non racially verbally abused you'd walk away. You said lecturer wouldnt take racist abuse, they wouldn't take any verbal abuse either was my point.

Regarding how it's handled who knows, I just don't think a walk off would work as it could be seen as a win for the racists.

Senior Mass Debater

We are talking about "words" here not the throwing of darts, coins and bottles.

There is camera surveillance and stewards these days and if certain individuals break the law regarding what can be said then there is plenty of time to identify and arrest those involved, because let's be honest there is no blood or bruises or threats to life involved in racial abuse, it is just hurt feelings.

Players need to man up a bit and let the law take its course.

The Clapham Crusader

I'm not saying that, I'm staying in any job if you were getting non racially verbally abused you'd walk away. You said lecturer wouldnt take racist abuse, they wouldn't take any verbal abuse either was my point.

Regarding how it's handled who knows, I just don't think a walk off would work as it could be seen as a win for the racists.
    Sorry mate but I don't understand you point?

Sorry mate but I don't understand you point?
    Tbh it doesn't matter, all I'm saying is the analogy you posted doesn't fit imo as the working roles are far too different to compare and I'll leave it at that.

The powers-that-be have to take strong action if it's merited. One or two idiots can be dealt with, but when a large portion of the crowd becomes very vocal and can be heard on TV, then points deductions or closing the ground becomes an option.

Perhaps those with a more inventive frame of mind can think of even more draconian measures to make sure that this sort of behaviour is eradicated.

Quote Originally Posted by valspoodle View Post
    The powers-that-be have to take strong action if it's merited. One or two idiots can be dealt with, but when a large portion of the crowd becomes very vocal and can be heard on TV, then points deductions or closing the ground becomes an option.

Perhaps those with a more inventive frame of mind can think of even more draconian measures to make sure that this sort of behaviour is eradicated.
    Gas the fuckers....

Oops!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Nott'm/scanning the horizon @Brize.......

Quote Originally Posted by Le Juif Rouge View Post
    We are talking about "words" here not the throwing of darts, coins and bottles.

There is camera surveillance and stewards these days and if certain individuals break the law regarding what can be said then there is plenty of time to identify and arrest those involved, because let's be honest there is no blood or bruises or threats to life involved in racial abuse, it is just hurt feelings.

Players need to man up a bit and let the law take its course.
    So a whole section or stand chant racial abuse and you expect the police to arrest them all and try them in court. I could use an analogy that you yids should man up, however I wont cos it aint right

Senior Mass Debater

Quote Originally Posted by george lyall View Post
    So a whole section or stand chant racial abuse and you expect the police to arrest them all and try them in court. I could use an analogy that you yids should man up, however I wont cos it aint right
    If a whole section of the crowd chant things that are deemed unacceptable or unlawful then the authorities can impose heavy fines on the club and/or close the ground for a few games.

What is the problem George is that whilst "physical assault" was and still is, easy to define, we have now entered new territory were "words" are considered "violence", which is extremely hard to legislate.

Under the old rules of "inciting violence through words" someone was not prosecuted for the "words" but for the "incitement"; we are now in an insane era were if anyone feels insulted they can prosecute.

I do not regard the use of the word "Yid" as an insult, the only Jews getting upset about it are Chelsea supporting Jews who feel guilty because they don't support Spurs.

I’ll take a guess that first manager to take his team due to racial abuse happen to be losing at the time

Nott'm/scanning the horizon @Brize.......

So the words that Corbyns supporters have used that havd been deemed anti semetic are just that words and jews should "man up"