Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Matchday 31: Brentford Fan Comments

Default Re: Matchday 31: Brentford Fan Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin Plummer View Post
    Lol ok. We do live to live in the past, specifically one incredibly short golden period, otherwise we've been largely irrelevant for 150 years.
    Incredibly short, BC was winning trophies from 78 until 90 and on top of that we’ve won 2 fa cups & had other succceses all of which are far more relevant than anything Brentford have ever done

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I couldn't care less about Brentford or their fans. They average, of that I have no doubt.

But I do like the principles of their football, the style they maintaining through different managers and the talent they keep finding and developing.

I understand the pressure of being a team that is willing to invest substantial funds, that expectation comes along with, and therefore so do the issue of lack of patience.

But I do like their process. Obviously they lack the financial capabilities to hang on to a lot of their team, so they're constantly back to square one. But there are certainly elements to how they are run that I like in a club.

There we are look, just below Brentford.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...7VgEpNgu2sL-Rj

The Foam Hand

I remember having a conversation with valspoodle on here a few years ago after he visited every football league ground.

You get a feel at places, it doesn't matter if the team are garbage or what league they are in, that feel still exists.
    Some clubs are just big clubs with history, you sense if they got their act together they would be a formidable force.
    Go to Elland Road, Villa Park, Hillsborough, Bramall Lane, Hawthorns and our own City Ground.
    It's a contrast to Griffin Park. Brentford are nothing, they've never been anything and never will be.

Even a club like Bournemouth, playing decent football in the Prem, they're nothing. The place wasn't raised on football, their gates are shocking and it would take decades to change that.

A great football club evolves through decades and decades of success, generations uphold that tradition, it doesn't happen over a five year period when you jump through the league's.

People should respect that. It's easy to take the piss and say we are irrelevant but Forest achieved things that will possibly never be seen again in English Football.
    It's not about living in the past, it's about upholding tradition and being respectful of those achievements.

Bout time Forest stopped ruining weekends. - Barry

I don't disagree for a minute, Bryn. Those club will end up fading again down the line, i'm sure they will.

They'll never have the history, pedigree or status of the list of clubs you mentioned. Likewise, they're not traditional football cities and as such, will never muster big attendances either.

However, at the same time, some of them are doing something right. There's no shame in looking at how someone else does something and recognise elements of their ideas can be used. Companies often take intelligence from smaller businesses, expand and develop it themselves and have great success out of it.

I think that's what most people think when they see those clubs overachieving.

No-one wants to be Brentford. But I think it's fine to look at elements of what they do and be envious of it.

The Foam Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stone's Mullet View Post
    I don't disagree for a minute, Bryn. Those club will end up fading again down the line, i'm sure they will.

They'll never have the history, pedigree or status of the list of clubs you mentioned. Likewise, they're not traditional football cities and as such, will never muster big attendances either.

However, at the same time, some of them are doing something right. There's no shame in looking at how someone else does something and recognise elements of their ideas can be used. Companies often take intelligence from smaller businesses, expand and develop it themselves and have great success out of it.

I think that's what most people think when they see those clubs overachieving.

No-one wants to be Brentford. But I think it's fine to look at elements of what they do and be envious of it.
    I understand that but we are too big for want of a better word to follow those models.

It's much easier with low expectations to slow build with a model and that's why these clubs do well.

It doesn't wash at places like Forest, Leeds, Villa, Derby etc. Fans want results and entertainment.

When Warburton came here people were expecting us to be a bit like Brentford, it doesn't work like that, it's a different gig. Entirely different beast.
    That's why we have been stuck with the manager lottery for years, like Derby, Wendys, Leeds and the rest of them. It's difficult to build slowly with an expectant fan base.

We are basically trapped like many other clubs, our time is due though.

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

Less "long throw merchants", more "observe the prevailing conditions, adapt to maximise the potential benefit"

They're just annoyed that they didn't have the tactical nouse to do this.

By "relegation battle", do you mean 7th, 12th or 14th?

Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

We won a couple of league cups that's all...

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Yates View Post
    For a team in 18th I think Brentford fans have a slightly exaggerated opinion of how could they are, twats
    That was like us a couple of seasons ago

The Foam Hand

Who remembers Oldham Athletic, Swindon Town, Luton Town, Reading, etc being in the top flight?
    Fucking Coventry City spent more time in the top flight than the lot of them put together and they have been long forgotten

Great clubs are built up over decades and decades of good football and traditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    I understand that but we are too big for want of a better word to follow those models.

It's much easier with low expectations to slow build with a model and that's why these clubs do well.

It doesn't wash at places like Forest, Leeds, Villa, Derby etc. Fans want results and entertainment.

When Warburton came here people were expecting us to be a bit like Brentford, it doesn't work like that, it's a different gig. Entirely different beast.
    That's why we have been stuck with the manager lottery for years, like Derby, Wendys, Leeds and the rest of them. It's difficult to build slowly with an expectant fan base.

I'm not advocating becoming Brentford.

But there's something to learn from having a top-to-bottom consistent approach. Being willing to invest in specific types of players.

We don't have to go and buy a squad of young lads with no experience and promise alone. But they have a consistent approach to the style of players they sign, the system they want them to fit into, the style of play they then produce on the pitch...

It's got to be said, they somehow manage to keep finding gems though. Posh for example who people praise have a scatter gun approach and have a huge turnover of players. Brentford seem to keep finding them. Their issue is keeping them, and not being able to afford to supplement them with the 3/4 experienced leaders you need alongside them.

I don't think we're too big to run club that has strong principles, a process and identify a specific style and be rigid with it in staffing off and on the pitch. We definitely shouldn't be too big to identify players like Watkins, Maupay, Dalsgaard & Benrahma amongst others.

The irony is, despite us being too big to follow some of their principles, if we did, even though it is a longer process, it would probably result in success, as opposed to buying an expensive lottery ticket every season with a collective of different styles.

Who is this Brentford?

The Foam Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stone's Mullet View Post
    I'm not advocating becoming Brentford.

But there's something to learn from having a top-to-bottom consistent approach. Being willing to invest in specific types of players.

We don't have to go and buy a squad of young lads with no experience and promise alone. But they have a consistent approach to the style of players they sign, the system they want them to fit into, the style of play they then produce on the pitch...

It's got to be said, they somehow manage to keep finding gems though. Posh for example who people praise have a scatter gun approach and have a huge turnover of players. Brentford seem to keep finding them. Their issue is keeping them, and not being able to afford to supplement them with the 3/4 experienced leaders you need alongside them.

I don't think we're too big to run club that has strong principles, a process and identify a specific style and be rigid with it in staffing off and on the pitch. We definitely shouldn't be too big to identify players like Watkins, Maupay, Dalsgaard & Benrahma amongst others.

The irony is, despite us being too big to follow some of their principles, if we did, even though it is a longer process, it would probably result in success, as opposed to buying an expensive lottery ticket every season with a collective of different styles.
    The fan base Steve.

It took less than four games for some to say Martin is a hoof merchant and plays percentage football.

There is no patience here that is allowed at clubs like Brentford.

We all know this as well. That was my point when I said NFFC is a completely different gig and beast to Brentford.

The Foam Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    Who is this Brentford?
    Brazil in disguise. Waiting for their moment to pounce into the Premiership and smash Man City 9-0.

The fan base Steve.

It took less than four games for some to say Martin is a hoof merchant and plays percentage football.

There is no patience here that is allowed at clubs like Brentford.

We all know this as well. That was my point when I said NFFC is a completely different gig and beast to Brentford.
    That's all in the board's hands. Football clubs are dictatorships not democracies.

Look how utterly wank we've been for nearly 3 months now. We're still selling out. Price it right, use propaganda accordingly, and people will still come, pay their money and if you set your stall out and say what is happening, people will buy into it.

Need a leader pigheaded enough to not be influenced when the inevitable poor form comes.

Red til I'm dead

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin Plummer View Post
    Calculate our average league position over the last 20 years, over the last 10, the last 5...
    Apart from the last 4 seasons in which they have been in the same division as us, Brentford have spent one season above the third tier since 1954.

Doing us down and saying how crap we’ve been for the last 5, 10, 20 years just goes to prove my point.

Brentford’s current and very brief era of “glory years” (5 years in the second tier) = same level as shit old Forest.

Like I said, let them enjoy it. They think it will last forever. In 15 years they can look back and fondly reminisce how they got beat 2-1 by a shit, used to be famous, hoofball team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    One of the irrelevant clubs gets a reaction all over the world amongst football fans the other is Brentford.
    They just aren't really relevant to anyone for anything, do they even have a proper rival?
    I'm not being arsey, I just fail to see any relevance to them.
    They aren't relevant, which is what I said. The reason they get mentioned so much on here is because they're punching above their weight and have been for a while.

Considering what a train wreck NFFC has been for awhile now there are things we could learn from clubs like Brentford and Norwich who are well run.

"Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    They aren't relevant, which is what I said. The reason they get mentioned so much on here is because they're punching above their weight and have been for a while.

Considering what a train wreck NFFC has been for awhile now there are things we could learn from clubs like Brentford and Norwich who are well run.
    That's an entirely different conversation, one with merit.
    I'll put you down in the irrelevant little club column then?

Plan worked, we'll worry about pretty football when we've not cobbled together a back 4 & the manager's still learning the players names.

“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

Are these tools building a new ground, drove along the M4 into cockney land earlier & there is a stadium springing up, can’t think who else it could be.

Are these tools building a new ground, drove along the M4 into cockney land earlier & there is a stadium springing up, can’t think who else it could be.
    They're getting a new 18k seater stadium meant to open in 2020. More interested in Wimbledon finally moving back to Plough Lane though, they broke ground on a new stadium last year and are hoping to open it around Christmas time.

Brentford’s new ground will probably be the best ground ever according to their silly twat fans

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    They're getting a new 18k seater stadium meant to open in 2020. More interested in Wimbledon finally moving back to Plough Lane though, they broke ground on a new stadium last year and are hoping to open it around Christmas time.
    They’ll need more than 18k because Leeds will take double that

A good analysis of the situation and not one I'd looked at from that angle. I think there is a lot of merit in this notion where sides have much less expectation and/or where the fan base aren't as demanding. It certainly affords managers the luxury of being given the precious "commodity of time" along with the board to implent a strategy that can grow organically and therefore embed a solid structure.

As you pointed out there is no way the clubs fan base you mentioned and it's core stakeholders have the patience for anything other than seeing tangible results on and off the pitch immediately. I do think ironically as supporters at Forest we were/are happy to go back to the slow build strategy simply because we are one of the longest suffering from those big clubs that have seen time after time the quick fix is always a slow but never fixed solution.

Sent from my sweaty palms using Tapatalk

Last edited by Notcher; 11-02-19 at 19:33.

They’ll need more than 18k because Leeds will take double that
    And that's not including all of the tourists and day trippers that will go to watch a total football side like FC Brencelona