Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: Matchday 28: Bristol City Fan Comments

Default Matchday 28: Bristol City Fan Comments

On a week where Brexit dominated the papers because Theresa May couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery and Prince Philip proved he's actually going to*survive Armageddon with the cockroaches, news of a certain top manager taking a Champ job went slightly under the radar.

Martin O'Neill;*whom took two clubs to the League cup final 4 times and won it twice, won the Scottish League with Celtic 3 times as well as taking them to the Europa league and finally managed Ireland's national team, getting them qualification for Euro 16 and beating Germany in the process. He's a manager of prowess and experience. So why did he take on the Nottingham job when he would be one of the top names on any Prem club manager list?*

He has returned to the club that started it all for him as a player and unlike the politician style answers heard from most managers nowadays, he's made it perfectly clear. He has until summer 2020 to take Forest up. If he doesn't, he walks. He wants to take Forest back to the glory days when he himself helped them win 2 Champions league titles.

A tall order perhaps, considering two factors.

Firstly, the team currently are embroiled in "idiotic behaviour" as quoted by O'Neill, referencing the fact that at the halfway point of the season, Forest have accumulated 67 yellow cards and 4 reds. In fact, two of their players are suspended today because of their red cards from last week. This is going to take time and is no quick fix. If players have been incorporating dodgy tackles into their training regime, to re-train that behaviour is not an overnight job. Expect to see a few iffy tackles today.

Secondly, and probably the most conspirical factor is the fact that Nottingham like giving managers the heave ho.

2011: Steve McClaren

2012: Cotts and SOD

2013: Alex McLeish

2014: Billy Davies

2015: Stuart 'Psycho' Pearce

2016: Dougie Freedman

2017: Philippe Montanier, Gary Brazil and Mark Warburton

2018: Aitor Karanka

2019:

11 guys all paid off at some point (ok 10, Gary Brazil was demoted back down) but it's become a long standing joke with Forest's fans. Will 2019 see*Martin O'Neill get the boot or will he break the managerial conveyor belt hidden within the City ground?

Only time will tell...

On to today.

7th v 9th so I reckon it's gonna be a*draw. New manager bounce could*edge it for them but I doubt it. A 1-1 draw is the obvious choice.

Too early for O’Neil to have an impact today, add in the suspensions and confident city away win 1-0 and in the top six close of play.

Take a point today for sure.

Home win, end of unbeaten run, sorry and yes I am great fun at parties.

I’d forgotten SOD was at Forest....

Yep and wasn’t he sacked hours after his team stuffed Leeds 4-2 on Boxing Day after only a few months in charge? Happy Christmas SOD!

From what I remember they got rid of him because he wasn't*a big enough name for such a "massive" club. I think I recall that when we played them at AG when he was with us (in that terrible relegation season) their fans gave him a good reception.

In the light of the list of managers that Forest have had I* thought the following comment on their thread was quite amusing:

The Enemy

Bristol City come into this one after leapfrogging Forest up to 7th in the league on 41 points and haven't lost a league game since November (9 games, 5 wins, 4 draws) so that's nice for them. Bristol City manager Lee Johnson took over at the club in February 2016 which is utter lunacy and far too long for a manager to do his job.

Out of the Nottingham teams I've*always preferred County. Not sure why. Maybe it's because Forest beat us in the semi final and because there was a bit of rivalry between us in the League 1 days. Alternatively it might be because County used to have a decent pub right outside their away turnstiles.

I know the new manager bounce is proven it seems to be a myth, but think we might be on the wrong end today of the score. Big crowd, the return of the Prince Overseas, and its going to feel like a pretty big cup clash*atmosphere wise. They have some very decent players, and when they get the wind behind them play some good stuff, as Leeds found out recently there. Lost enough games over the years to teams ‘down to their bare bones’ so not placing to much emphasis on their defensive issues.

Looking at those line ups it's shuffled defence v shuffled defence.

Maenppa a big loss for us as is Webster - kinds of evens it up*or more in their favour.

Lots of other injuries, will do well to take a pint.

I'm always happy to take a pint.

City playing some cracking football. Come on.

Forest look like a team with players out of position and make shift.

Forest look awful at back.

Been more good built-up by us, but every time Pato gets it, it falls down.

Stop launching balls at the giant in goal!

All our crosses and corners just landing in the hand of the keeper with no effort on his part (or challenge) have they forgot a keeper can use his hands and out reach them?

YESSS* ... Pato off for Palmer ... COYR

Palmer brilliant through ball , lovely pass to Famara and goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes! Get the **** in! What a day, patched up side, new manager bounce, 30k at Forest and we do it.

All sorts of forced changes and a clean sheet...Fielding did as well as anyone. Well deserved to.

Wonder how much of it was to do with Forest’s makeshift team, but if they will get themselves sent off...

Our makeshift team beat their makeshift team.

Great win. Hate Forest and hate O’neill so happy days.

The pressure was all on a Forest today, *could have gone either way with the return of O’Neill. Lucky for us we looked well prepared and kept to our game plan. We all did our job and were patient. Compared to Forest I thought we played the better football. Lolley was the name the commentator on my stream said more than any other though, thought he caused us more problems than the rest of the Forest team put together.

Remember all the visionaries who said Forest would be challenging for the auto's after they beat us early on (having over spent on average players)?

That would be the 1-1 thrashing they gave us at AG first day of*the season?

We played them at the right time.

How do you figure, we had 3 defenders out.

They had 7 missing.

Dominant display and could easily have won by more.

Advice please on how I can travel back to Mansfield on a train full of Forest fans without.grinning/gloating?

Remember that you live in Mansfield?

Complaints they should of had a pen.

Think it’s the studs on his right foot crushing the Forests player elbow joint that’s causing the pain!

Hes done well there to step on one leg and one arm at the same time!

Just to finish him off it would appear Famara is treading on his...........’groin’

Ouch!

Thought the atmosphere from our lot was mostly excellent and thought, despite being told that today was a special day for Forest, that they were disappointingly silent.*

A great away win with a great away performance with a great atmosphere (from us) in a great away day city.

This was a game we could’ve seen as a “draw being a good point”, but in reality Forest were there for the taking and we took them.

There was only one team that passed and moved like they wanted three points. The hosts occasionally pumped hurried balls upfield, easily gobbled up by Kallas and a renewed Baker.

In the end City could as easily have won by more as they could have succumbed to a fortuitous Forest equaliser, but overall it was the visitors, brimming with confidence who passed and moved through the hosts defence, far more than ever threatened by the occasional Forest cross or corner.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Matchday 28: Bristol City Fan Comments

I’m only here for my masochistic inability not to punish myself and avoid this thread.

Thanks as always Calv.

Honestly thought their fans were pretty shite to be honest. they went full on "Is this a library" as most fans do but without the noise from themselves to back it up. They sang one song went quiet for 10 minutes and started the same song again.

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

"our makeshift side beat their makeshift side".

Sums it up beautifully

By "relegation battle", do you mean 7th, 12th or 14th?

Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

Seems like most teams have out played us in the midfield department by simple pass and move,bristol city was no difference imo.

Thanks for posting Calvin.

They strike me as fans who can't quite believe their current position.

The Foam Hand

Fair comments.

Getting a bit too familiar though aren't they. "Patched up side, awful, injuries, makeshift, silent fans..." are becoming too regular.

Thanks Calvin.

Quote Originally Posted by valspoodle View Post

Their forum was full of 'I told you so' posts about their manager to bait those who'd wanted him removed earlier in the season.

Last edited by Calvin Plummer; 20-01-19 at 17:26.

Senior Doom Monger

Johnson has had 3 years to build his side and get them schooled in the Bristol City style.
    Forest Board: take a good, long look at that, analyse the Bristol city approach and learn something from it.
    Then take a good look at the Wolves approach to recuiting a manager... and learn from that.
    We are crap at recruiting managers, and crap at backing them through the occasional trough that we may go into.
    I like the Brizzle fans - not a big club with a big history, but a club with a belief in continuity and togetherness.

Quote Originally Posted by valspoodle View Post
    Good for them

Missed Paul Williams off of the list of managers though.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    Johnson has had 3 years to build his side and get them schooled in the Bristol City style.
    Forest Board: take a good, long look at that, analyse the Bristol city approach and learn something from it.
    Then take a good look at the Wolves approach to recuiting a manager... and learn from that.
    We are crap at recruiting managers, and crap at backing them through the occasional trough that we may go into.
    I like the Brizzle fans - not a big club with a big history, but a club with a belief in continuity and togetherness.
    We are also utter crap at recruiting players too on the whole

Senior Doom Monger

Quote Originally Posted by Forest ash View Post
    We are also utter crap at recruiting players too on the whole
    I remember Ken Dodd being banned from the BBC Light Programme for a joke that included the phrase "on the whole".
    He quipped: a recent survey has confirmed that women are hairier, on the whole".
    Probably won't make much sense in these days of mass depilation, and shaven havens.