• Lose

26 40.63%
  • Karanka

7 10.94%
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: Matchday 28: Martin O‘Neill‘s Nottingham Forest vs Bristol City

Default Re: Matchday 28: Martin O‘Neill‘s Nottingham Forest vs Bristol City

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery View Post
    The worries about 442 are OTT. All he's done is seen a forward in Murphy who he knows, a forward in Grabban who is one of the leagues top scorers, and picked the group of lads who have worked hardest in training.

Sure it's gonna take more than a few games to spin it all round from the December decline, but we setup rushed yesterday because it's been a rushed appointment.

We're an off-form side 19th in the "December to now league" who faced a gelled, form side which sit 2nd in the "December to now league" and we lost by 1 goal. We were shit, but we were very much up against it too.
    442 was unequivocally the issue in the game, its been a while since teams have carved us open with one pass &generally took our pants down at home.

Two wingers that cant cross, two central midfielders that wont go forward enough to create or win second balls & no discernible relationship between Grabban & Murphy. The plan to go out wide failed, bearly any of thee squared balls beat the first man.

Havent heard the post match, but understand MON will abandon the 442, rightly so.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    442 was unequivocally the issue in the game, its been a while since teams have carved us open with one pass &generally took our pants down at home.

Two wingers that cant cross, two central midfielders that wont go forward enough to create or win second balls & no discernible relationship between Grabban & Murphy. The plan to go out wide failed, bearly any of thee squared balls beat the first man.

Havent heard the post match, but understand MON will abandon the 442, rightly so.
    Think you misunderstood me mate. I was saying 442 was just used, because MON took a basic approach as he only knows the basics of the squad.

It's OTT to worry about it as MONs mainstay setup. It was just something he's used because he knows Murphy, Grabbans got a hatful, and he can fit the rest of the tryers in there too.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery View Post
    Think you misunderstood me mate. I was saying 442 was just used, because MON took a basic approach as he only knows the basics of the squad.

It's OTT to worry about it as MONs mainstay setup. It was just something he's used because he knows Murphy, Grabbans got a hatful, and he can fit the rest of the tryers in there too.
    Fair enough mate, but it goes back to the lack of sound advice given the blatant drawbacks of 442 with our squad would have been something most average fan could have highlighted. If MON ignored it & backed himself to execute a 442 then fair play, but surely the better way would be to replicate the current system & tweak things as they became apparent.

Fair enough mate, but it goes back to the lack of sound advice given the blatant drawbacks of 442 with our squad would have been something most average fan could have highlighted. If MON ignored it & backed himself to execute a 442 then fair play, but surely the better way would be to replicate the current system & tweak things as they became apparent.
    It would, but MON's was so rushed I think he's not even got that far yet. Ultimately every manager has his style, and - much like the Warbs to AK switch - the quicker it's implemented the better.

I think we'll soon see Grabban & Carva start games, with the main difference being a box to box midfielder behind them as opposed to 2 DM's. Folk are assuming Murphy will be the target for the wide men, but he's often used said BtB man as a target in the past.

Question for me is will he at any point go to 3 at the back to accomodate an extra forward?

Quote Originally Posted by jervine View Post
    Yeah, sure am - live next to it.
    Thanks for replying, reminds me of such happy times. Used to do a fair number of trips to Hong Kong starting in the late 60s when 1997 seemed so far away!

We used to stay at the Park Hotel, drink in the Waltzing Matilda and go out on Jardines boat the Jardalinka round the islands just lazing about and drinking beer. Guess most of my memories have been eaten up by 'progress' and disappeared, but they stay in my head.

If you're still reading, thanks again.

Not that type of player

You're spot on about us being carved open with one pass. It happened time and time again on Saturday, and I haven't seen a team have it so easy against us in a long time.

I'm sure MON will have learned a lot from the match and we'll see a different approach in the next game.

"Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

Quote Originally Posted by valspoodle View Post
    Thanks for replying, reminds me of such happy times. Used to do a fair number of trips to Hong Kong starting in the late 60s when 1997 seemed so far away!

We used to stay at the Park Hotel, drink in the Waltzing Matilda and go out on Jardines boat the Jardalinka round the islands just lazing about and drinking beer. Guess most of my memories have been eaten up by 'progress' and disappeared, but they stay in my head.

If you're still reading, thanks again.
    You're welcome! Going by your previous posts, you've clearly seen and experienced a lot of the world. I've been here since 2007 (no Kai Tak landings for me), and it's changed a lot even in that relatively short time. Waltzing Matilda's is long since gone (would guess it was an Aussie bar probably in Wan Chai) unless it's a hidden gem I never discovered. The was an Aussie bar in a basement in Wan Chai, can't remember if it was called Waltzing Matilda's though...

Jardines still exist (obviously) and the junk boat parties were big business, although I think that is less so even in the time I've been here.

Not sure when you were last here, it would probably feel familiar yet very different. They've probably filled in a sizeable chunk of Victoria harbour too

Park Hotel I don't know, a Google says it's in Tsim Sha Tsui (near my office). Its probably not the same one, and if it is, had undoubtedly changed too

On a football topic, Hong Kong (Wan Chai) is where Gazza sat in the dentist's chair prior to Euro 96. That bar has since closed and the chair could be anywhere....

Sent from my SM-G9500 using Tapatalk

Last edited by jervine; Yesterday at 13:24.

You're welcome! Going by your previous posts, you've clearly seen and experienced a lot of the world. I've been here since 2007 (no Kai Tak landings for me), and it's changed a lot even in that relatively short time. Waltzing Matilda's is long since gone (would guess it was an Aussie bar probably in Wan Chai) unless it's a hidden gem I never discovered. The was an Aussie bar in a basement in Wan Chai, can't remember if it was called Waltzing Matilda's though...

Jardines still exist (obviously) and the junk boat parties were big business, although I think that is less so even in the time I've been here.

Not sure when you were last here, it would probably feel familiar yet very different. They've probably filled in a sizeable chunk of Victoria harbour too

Park Hotel I don't know, a Google says it's in Tsim Sha Tsui (near my office). Its probably not the same one, and if it is, had undoubtedly changed too

On a football topic, Hong Kong (Wan Chai) is where Gazza sat in the dentist's chair prior to Euro 96. That bar has since closed and the chair could be anywhere....

I think that Teresa May is using it at the moment with Boris Johnston pouring the drinks.

I rushed to try and squeeze everything in last post. We also used to stay in the Miramar Hotel up Nathan Road on Kowloon side before they built the tunnel. After that we had to stay at the Excelsior on the Island because it was owned by BA at that time (might still be). Preferred to stay Kowloon. We used to love the Red Chinese shop by the Peninsula, but I guess everywhere is red chinese shops now!

I used to do a lot of my trips on our 707 freighters, which meant I could sit on the flight deck for landings into Kai Tak, most amazing airport.

The Park was Tsim Sha Tsui all right and Waltzing Matilda was just around the corner, just a friendly bar we used as a meeting place. Hardly ever went to the Island in those early days except to go up the peak, eat at Aberdeen or just to ride the Star Ferry.

Haven't been since 1991; started going with BOAC in 1967 and of course became BA in the 70s. Even in those early days they were reclaiming land. Jardines let us borrow their boats because of the connections with the airline, I suppose. We never had to pay, it was a Bermudan rigged ketch the captain told me.

Brings it all back, look after yourself.

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

Has anyone suggested writing a book, Richard?!?

By "relegation battle", do you mean 7th, 12th or 14th?

Quote Originally Posted by willojack View Post
    flagman do me a f***ing favour remove me from this forum

May not be the best moderator on LTLF, but he's In The Top 1

I'd buy a copy for starters!

Fair play to Bristol City. I think we saw what you get when you keep faith with 1 manager even when he`s had good spells and awful ones. The team have been through it with him as well and have seen the bad runs don`t get him the sack.

Quote Originally Posted by Flagman View Post
    Has anyone suggested writing a book, Richard?!?
    Things just pop into my head, like when I read Happy Valley. Nothing organised, grasshopper mind. Nice of you to say so, though. I'll say it again, I've had fun, but I read others adventures on here and they have stories to tell, too.

Quote Originally Posted by valspoodle View Post
    I rushed to try and squeeze everything in last post. We also used to stay in the Miramar Hotel up Nathan Road on Kowloon side before they built the tunnel. After that we had to stay at the Excelsior on the Island because it was owned by BA at that time (might still be). Preferred to stay Kowloon. We used to love the Red Chinese shop by the Peninsula, but I guess everywhere is red chinese shops now!

I used to do a lot of my trips on our 707 freighters, which meant I could sit on the flight deck for landings into Kai Tak, most amazing airport.

The Park was Tsim Sha Tsui all right and Waltzing Matilda was just around the corner, just a friendly bar we used as a meeting place. Hardly ever went to the Island in those early days except to go up the peak, eat at Aberdeen or just to ride the Star Ferry.

Haven't been since 1991; started going with BOAC in 1967 and of course became BA in the 70s. Even in those early days they were reclaiming land. Jardines let us borrow their boats because of the connections with the airline, I suppose. We never had to pay, it was a Bermudan rigged ketch the captain told me.

Brings it all back, look after yourself.
    I have only stayed there once in 87 on a return work trip to Beijing. Flew into Kai Tak vgreat experience if your not scared of flying. I think there had been an aircraft went off the end into the sea a few weeks before.
    I stayed at the hotel at the airport. Can’t remember the name but their label is still on my old Delsey!
    I remember the Aussie Bar wasn’t far away. Can’t believe that’s 30 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryde Red View Post
    I have only stayed there once in 87 on a return work trip to Beijing. Flew into Kai Tak vgreat experience if your not scared of flying. I think there had been an aircraft went off the end into the sea a few weeks before.
    I stayed at the hotel at the airport. Can’t remember the name but their label is still on my old Delsey!
    I remember the Aussie Bar wasn’t far away. Can’t believe that’s 30 years ago.
    Of course, I didn't do any of the flying, but you had to aim at a checkerboard painted on the cliff directly ahead, then go off sharp right to line up with the runway taking care not to end up in someone's living room.

We all used to use Globetrotter cases when I first started, but a lot switched to Delsey because they had wheels. Still got mine, too, but don't go anywhere now.

Time flies, doesn't it?

Hope you are right Mase..........if 442 was such a good formation in modern football then more clubs would use it, in truth very few do!

4-4-2 is alright late in a game when you are chasing it.