Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Quinn

Default RIP Pete Shelley

Oh man. What can I say about Buzzcocks other than as a seventeen year old "Singles Going Steady" was my education

RIP Pete x

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: RIP Pete Shelley

Oh shit.

RIP.

Ill always be an orgasm addict cus of Pete

Really got into them after buying the Product Boxset on vinyl in 1990 - I almost wore that vinyl out I played it so much.

Only saw them the once when they played the Reading Festival in 1990 but they absolutely kicked ass and I'm honoured to have seen them live.

A very sad loss.

Awful news to wake up to RIP Pete Shelley.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Another part of my youth is ripped away - what a loss, RIP Pete

The Foam Hand

Oh no.

Same as Harvey, Singles going steady got played loads when I was a teenager. Finally got to see them at Reading 1990 and then a few years later at Rock City.
    Briefly met Pete at that gig, he seemed a nice guy and was a good laugh. I was with a big rough ex-miner and he asked Pete to autograph his arse cheeks, out came the marker pen, jeans pulled down, Pete was pissing himself with laughter.

RIP Pete.

Bout time Forest stopped ruining weekends. - Barry

I saw them on a tiny venue in northern France about 10 years ago , oddest place I have been to a gig
    Middle of a housing estate , could have been a guide hut
    They were all out talking too people in the crowd before the gig , just mooching around having a beer. We were listening to them in the office yesterday , as Ben is the biggest wanker I know I dedicated orgasm addict to him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.I.P. Living in Estonia apparently. Anyone who's had a long running tv programme named after them has to be more than slightly influencial.

The Foam Hand

I think a Buzzcocks Night is in order later, might even get the old vinyl out.

I saw 'em at the Derby Assembly rooms back in October 1978, Brilliant they were. I was the only Teddy Boy in a venue full of mostly punks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    I think a Buzzcocks Night is in order later, might even get the old vinyl out.
    Good idea Bryn

RIP Pete Shelley

Where's me hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    I saw 'em at the Derby Assembly rooms back in October 1978, Brilliant they were. I was the only Teddy Boy in a venue full of mostly punks.
    Was there something tough about being a Teddyboy?

Only reason i ask is in the 'wood when i was younger there was id say a handful of teddyboys you'd see in pubs, not all together but there and visable and it was one of them unwritten rules you just knew as a young en not to fuck with them.

Flick knives.

My Aunt married a Teddy Boy from London and we never got over the shame.

The Foam Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Was there something tough about being a Teddyboy?

Only reason i ask is in the 'wood when i was younger there was id say a handful of teddyboys you'd see in pubs, not all together but there and visable and it was one of them unwritten rules you just knew as a young en not to fuck with them.
    As I remember it, they were blokes when Punks, Skins, Football casuals and the rest were just teenagers. The only other group people were respectful/scared of was the Hells Angels.
    The Teds and Angels were the original rebels from the 50's.

Where's me hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    As I remember it, they were blokes when Punks, Skins, Football casuals and the rest were just teenagers. The only other group people were respectful/scared of was the Hells Angels.
    The Teds and Angels were the original rebels from the 50's.
    First time i saw a chelsea smile was on a skinhead

The Foam Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    First time i saw a chelsea smile was on a skinhead
    It was men against boys.

My dad was one of the east stand greasers, all his mates were proper blokes with sideburns, pit men, tough as fuck.

Be interesting to read rockabillys take on it.

gresers, bleauch. Thank god mods happened and everyone had a wash and put some decent clothes on.

Oh god, all Bryn's posts will be read in the voice of Ray Winston naked in the bath from now on.

The Foam Hand

Quote Originally Posted by tiffany View Post
    gresers, bleauch. Thank god mods happened and everyone had a wash and put some decent clothes on.
    Haha. I agree coming from the football casual background.

By all accounts Forest had a big greaser mob in the late 60's though. One of the West Ham books said it was one of the worst places to visit if you were a skinhead, they got attacked with bike chains and all sorts.

Where's me hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by tiffany View Post
    Oh god, all Bryn's posts will be read in the voice of Ray Winston naked in the bath from now on.
    "Got sum tools on the bike"

The Foam Hand

Anyway, here's to Pete Shelley...

ginger

Regarding teddy boys... I can't comment too much about flick knives etc during the 1950s. I've heard stories told by the old boys and my dad too.

One thing is for sure a teddy boy would always give his seat up on the bus for the elderly. Most teddy boy violence back in the 50s was mainly rival gangs etc, although I wasn't there so Im going by hearsay.

When I was 12yrs old, Showaddywaddy had burst onto the scene, so all the cool kids my age wanted to be a teddy boy. As time went on around 1977, the punk craze had taken over at our school. Most kids wanted to be punks but I stayed as a ted.

The toughest kids in the school were the Brailsford family from Chellaston. All of them Teddy boys, they sill are today. I became part of their culture. Kids would stand aside for them in the corridors. After school we'd hang around the park hoping the local punks or 'northern soulies' would fancy a rumble.

I saw a couple of rumbles at Derby fair between Punks and Teds in the late 1970s.

When I left school I'd go to the Lace Webb or Cobden club with the Brailsfords for a night of rock n roll. There was never any trouble. Just a good night out.

When 1980 came along, a lot of us Teds jumped on to the Rockabilly band waggon. Thanks to bands like the Stray Cats, Matchbox and the Jets. It was fresh, not the stuff our parents listened to. First time we'd seen bands use an upright double bass. Teds and Rockabilly's stood side by side at gigs, we were all into the same thing.

I never saw any violence at gigs. But things could get bad with the trendy pissheads that would take the piss out of our hair and clothing, especially after closing. Most of the trendy idiots that were looking for a fight were in groups of three or four. Some times stag night twats wanted to have a go at us.

Thing is, after a gig, the were always Teds and Rockabillies close by. The trendies would often take a good pasting us. Obviously we'd out number them if there had been a gig.

After a Stray Cats gig at the Royal concert Hall, some trendies went Teddy boy bashing, looking for revenge. We got a good kicking that night.

In this day and age it still happens alot after gigs, mouthy trendies taking the piss. Always kicks off at the Skegness rockabilly weekenders. Young twats too much to drink taking the piss, not realising a couple of hundred Teds/Rockabillies are in town and will take care of the idiots.

There is a new generation of Teds/Rockabillies on the scene now. Mostly grand children or children of the originals of my era. My daughter is Rockabilly, she loves the 50s culture. Although only 15yrs old, she'll smack anyone that takes the piss.

The strange thing is, although I'm a rockabilly through and through, I loved the punk of the 70s. I used togo to a few gigs to the 'riverside' at Newcastle, they have punks and rockabillies standing side by side. It's great how we both have mutual respect for each other. that's where I became friends with Paul from the Angelic upstarts.

Well...

I always have and always will, be " a Rockabilly Rebel"

Where's me hammer?

Whats a trendie?