Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Matchday 20: Ipswich Fan Comments

Default Re: Matchday 20: Ipswich Fan Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Yates View Post
    Fair comment Ash, I just can’t stand MM & his football
    I felt that way about some of the stuff we played under Dougie Freedman, but I'd still take DF or MM's football rather than go through League One again. It was truly awful down there, even the worst games I've seen us have in this league are better than a lot of the dross we had to endure in the third tier.

I dread to think how crap it must have been to have spent 5 or 6 years down there like Sheffield United did, or go down to League Two like Portsmouth and Coventry did. Unless you go up at the first attempt (which I doubt Ipswich would), its an absolutely miserable experience down there.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    I felt that way about some of the stuff we played under Dougie Freedman, but I'd still take DF or MM's football rather than go through League One again. It was truly awful down there, even the worst games I've seen us have in this league are better than a lot of the dross we had to endure in the third tier.

I dread to think how crap it must have been to have spent 5 or 6 years down there like Sheffield United did, or go down to League Two like Portsmouth and Coventry did. Unless you go up at the first attempt (which I doubt Ipswich would), its an absolutely miserable experience down there.
    The gap between the two divisions isn't much either, which is why sides coming up to this division often do well (carry on a winning mentality) and why sides which go down usually struggle.

We spent way too long down there because Megson ruined the club with his crappy signings and stupid hoofball and in the end fluked it back up.

We're almost half way through this season which is as good a time to see how it's settled and the promoted sides are currently 10th, 15th and 20th. Last season they finished 8th, 10th and 21st (the playoff side being the lowest).

If they go down in a mess, they will probably struggle.

The Foam Hand

Some enjoy the novelty of it but like you say, five or six years down there and that soon wears off.

Sheff Utd have yo-yo'd with the lower leagues for four decades so a lot more used to it than Ipswich would be. Last time they were in the third tier was the 1950's.

Bout time Forest stopped ruining weekends. - Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Some enjoy the novelty of it but like you say, five or six years down there and that soon wears off.

Sheff Utd have yo-yo'd with the lower leagues for four decades so a lot more used to it than Ipswich would be. Last time they were in the third tier was the 1950's.
    The novelty of League One ran out long before the halfway point of the first season down there for me. Unless we wind up down there again (I bloody well hope not!), I doubt I'll ever feel as low about Forest as I did back then. Miserable stuff.

The Foam Hand

The novelty of League One ran out long before the halfway point of the first season down there for me. Unless we wind up down there again (I bloody well hope not!), I doubt I'll ever feel as low about Forest as I did back then. Miserable stuff.
    Luckily I missed out on that era, I was working away. I can understand what you're saying though, I've watched Mansfield Town enough to know how grim it can get in them leagues.

"Absolutely brilliant support, sang throughout, the second half for every second, if there's better away fans ive not seen them." cut this from the tractor boys forum, am l missing something cause l sat in BC and never heard them. Good turnout though with having to watch their demise every week.

Luckily I missed out on that era, I was working away. I can understand what you're saying though, I've watched Mansfield Town enough to know how grim it can get in them leagues.
    There is nothing wrong with the entertainment in those leagues, and lower. Sometimes it's a better day out as you know.

There was something very wrong with watching Forest in div 3. Knowing what a mess they had to make of things of years just to be down there made it feel depressing even before kick off.

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the entertainment in those leagues, and lower. Sometimes it's a better day out as you know.

There was something very wrong with watching Forest in div 3. Knowing what a mess they had to make of things of years just to be down there made it feel depressing even before kick off.
    It's being everyone else's cup final that gets really wearing, you see the best of every other team v the worst of yourselves.

The Foam Hand

You're right, I enjoyed League Two more than the Championship last season. With Notts, Stags and Lincoln around the playoffs and Chesterfield fighting relegation it was very entertaining.

Spot on though. The difference is those clubs kind of belong there, the likes of Forest and Ipswich don't.

I heard Gareth Ainsworth Wycombe manager let his players walk into the Stadium of Light when they played Sunderland. The groundstaff said they could drive in and he said no, these players have earnt this moment.
    That kind of sums it up.

It was hard to find the novelty inn the first season under Megson. But the 2nd season of away days to Gillingham, Tranmere and Carlisle had something going for it once I'd accepted the nihilism.

We shall meet again before long to march to new triumphs - Giuseppe Garibaldi | vivit post funera virtus - Emprorer Tiberius

It's probably not too bad watching a side who's natural level is League One/Two. I've watched a few non-league games before and had a good time, after all.

Following a club like Forest in the third tier is a different proposition though, especially when the club is an absolute mess and not equipped for the challenges of lower league football. Following a football club in decline is tough, but the sort of decline that sees a club like us (or indeed Ipswich) end up down there is a miserable thing to experience.

Last edited by Ashley; 02-12-18 at 23:30.

The Foam Hand

I grew up a Forest fan from my parents taking me but Mansfield are the more local team. It was out of pure boredom one Saturday of wandering around town that I went to my first game there.
    There were three of us, me Forest, a Man U fan and a Derby fan. None of us had ever watched Mansfield before or even seen the ground.
    It became a buzz almost instantly. Seeing teams like Crewe Alexandra and Blackpool visit (it was the early 80's) was a novel thing to us, they were names you'd only know from the league ladders you'd get with Shoot! magazine or see on your dad's pools coupon. It was good fun, the football was more direct, the players less athletic, muddy pitches and you never knew how many away fans would turn up.

I still like the lower leagues a lot, but wouldn't want to watch Forest in them.

Agree with comments regarding their fans - McCarthy performed miracles in keeping them up. They were signing players that were being released by the likes of Rotherham, like Leon Best. The real problem is clearly with the owner and his refusal to put any money into the club. Their number 9 yesterday was their replacement for Waghorn - signed from Accrington Stanley.

Their squad is absolutely awful - that team yesterday would genuinely struggle in League One IMO. Can’t believe Skuse and Chambers are still playing Championship football.

Chambers isn't a bad player, but has the mobility of a giant statue.

Quote Originally Posted by Statto View Post
    Chambers isn't a bad player, but has the mobility of a giant statue.
    One of the few players they have capable of playing at this level of football in all fairness (albeit for a team in the bottom half of the table).

I grew up a Forest fan from my parents taking me but Mansfield are the more local team. It was out of pure boredom one Saturday of wandering around town that I went to my first game there.
    There were three of us, me Forest, a Man U fan and a Derby fan. None of us had ever watched Mansfield before or even seen the ground.
    It became a buzz almost instantly. Seeing teams like Crewe Alexandra and Blackpool visit (it was the early 80's) was a novel thing to us, they were names you'd only know from the league ladders you'd get with Shoot! magazine or see on your dad's pools coupon. It was good fun, the football was more direct, the players less athletic, muddy pitches and you never knew how many away fans would turn up.

I still like the lower leagues a lot, but wouldn't want to watch Forest in them.
    Did you go to Wemblet for the Freight Rover?

I liked that Mansfield side. My one visit to Field Mill was for Mansfield v Notts on the day Forest win at Highbury in the FA Cup QF

The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.

Quote Originally Posted by Jah View Post
    To think that Mick Mac wouldn't even talk to us before he joined Ipswich.
    McCarthy evidently did have preliminary discussions with us, but he sussed-out the al-Hasawis within minutes of meeting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Redd'un View Post
    McCarthy evidently did have preliminary discussions with us, but he sussed-out the al-Hasawis within minutes of meeting them.
    It wouldn’t have been difficult to anyone with half a brain cell. Unless money was at the forefront of your mind.

The Foam Hand

Did you go to Wemblet for the Freight Rover?

I liked that Mansfield side. My one visit to Field Mill was for Mansfield v Notts on the day Forest win at Highbury in the FA Cup QF
    Yes I did.

Around that time it seemed I was there regularly. Forest in the simod cup, league cups and then the fa cup, Stags in the freight rover. One of the reasons I still take cup competitions seriously, it was the highlight of every other season.

Lower league football can have one of two effects really.

1. Is that you go down, it completely galvanises the supporters and the club in general and you're stronger in the long run. You often revert to giving young players a chance that would never have played and you fill your team with them and the younger promising players from other teams in the league that see your club as a step up. Leicester did this, along with Soton, Wolves, Man City and Wigan (although it could be argued that it's their level anyway). You then tend to just spend a season or two at the most raping the league and going to lots of brand new small stadiums and usually winning. This can often result in another promotion to the top flight within a couple of seasons on the back of the momentum.

Or....

2. You go down in a complete mess; through bad management, overpaid players, poor leadership at boardroom level and supporters who make the atmosphere at games toxic. You haven't got the money to bring in any decent players on their way up so you can relying on the old has-beens sapping the club of cash. The supporters lose interest fast and crowds dwindle and you end up initially bringing in a manager who can 'win ugly' at that level just to get you up (without realising you can actually play your way out) which doesn't work and you just get worse and worse. The longer you're down there the harder it is to get back. See Luton, Oldham, Pompey, Coventry and Bradford and you can see it on the cards for Ipswich and possibly Bolton too.

We were fortunate to get out when we did although we made a right pigs ear of it to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery View Post
    Does it make me a bit unhinged revelling in the glory of their demise because of some random internet poster from 20 years ago? Yes, yes it does. But Billy would be proud.
    The forum poster's forum poster

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    Well done Calvin.
    BTW - did you ever see Calvin Palmer play?
    Anyway, those comments are truthful and fair.
    We did take our foot off the gas second half; we should have scored 6 ,7 or even 8.
    My son lives in Ipswich - he says that there is nothing but misery around the football club.
    Much like at Forest over the last 15 years.
    At last we are seeing the sun come out from behind those clouds.

I did indeed see Calvin Plummer play, my name is just a slightly ironic tribute.