Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: James McClean

Default Re: James McClean

Quote Originally Posted by GOBIAS View Post
    The British legion are having to ‘up their game’ as they were losing out to help for heroes.
    I'm told by a veteran that Help for Heroes have much higher costs than the Legion so less of the money collected reaches the ground.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    I'm told by a veteran that Help for Heroes have much higher costs than the Legion so less of the money collected reaches the ground.
    Do you think Jeremy Clarkson endorses them for free?

A bloke I know in Sheffield is the area top bod for the St. Johns Ambulance Brigade, his company car, a fucking Porsche.

Some charities absolutely take the piss with their running expenses.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post

A bloke I know in Sheffield is the area top bod for the St. Johns Ambulance Brigade, his company car, a fucking Porsche.

When I was in the motor trade a RNIB shop manager had a Saab 93 as a company car.

That doesn’t surprise me. I used to work with a woman who did a lot of work for the British legion and when the help for heroes started she said it had badly affected the British legion efforts.

Rice 13

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post

But these charities need top people to ensure they are well run. You cant expect these people to work for free as they would just go else where and get these perks if that was the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where's me hammer?

You cant exoect them to work for free but equally its still a charity... why a charity boss commands stupid money is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBIAS View Post
    The British legion are having to ‘up their game’ as they were losing out to help for heroes.
    Talking about forces charities, when I was in, the big forces charity was SSAFA. Rarely gets a mention now.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    You cant exoect them to work for free but equally its still a charity... why a charity boss commands stupid money is beyond me.
    Agree, that should be your raison d'etre, to work for the cause and not your own.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Running costs are atrocious for a charity but what's worse is the need for these charities in the first place.

"Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes." -Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Joao CarvAndy!ho View Post
    Running costs are atrocious for a charity but what's worse is the need for these charities in the first place.
    It's fucking disgusting how people injured whilst serving their country aren't given the highest level of care and support for as long as is necessary.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Now this chap has a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Joao CarvAndy!ho View Post
    Now this chap has a point.
    They both have and neither is more entitled to an opinion than the other.

The Foam Hand

Can't see McLean playing tomorrow, looking at the Stoke forum I don't think one person has picked him in their 11 and most don't want him in the team.

Bout time Forest stopped ruining weekends. - Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Can't see McLean playing tomorrow, looking at the Stoke forum I don't think one person has picked him in their 11 and most don't want him in the team.
    Good

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

Massive Member

Quote Originally Posted by valspoodle View Post
    Talking about forces charities, when I was in, the big forces charity was SSAFA. Rarely gets a mention now.
    They helped me no end when I left. Its why they have a collection pot at every pub I work in.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

It isn’t dying out, it is just moving with the times.

When I was a kid wearing a poppy had a quiet dignity to it- it was an understated act of remembrance for those who had fallen. Now it is increasingly becoming a furore whereby anyone who chooses not to wear one is immediately deemed anti-patriotic and disrespectful of what those soldiers gave. The fact that the far-right have been allowed to influence this narrative is frankly shameful.

Ultimately, James McLean is a footballer who grew up in a part of Ireland where a terrible massacre took place- I’d be shocked if he did wear it to be honest. I don’t for one minute think that his not wearing a poppy rods has any bearing on his ability to remember the lives of those who died in WW1 (who I think we are especially remembering today given that it is the centenary of the armistice).

I’ve been disappointed in the number of retail outlets selling poppies this year. I wanted to buy half a dozen for colleagues and a fair few more for a subtle window display.

I got them in the end but had to hunt them down.

'Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings' - Salvador Dali 1904-1989

I think 'odd' is a good thing. Oddness shows originality, uniqueness and a desire to be different from the masses. Oddness is, maybe, only deemed 'odd' by the majority who are considered less odd but only by their own blinkered observations and understanding. Oddness should never be criticised but be encouraged to nurture, develop individualism and to explore the mind rather than conform to expectation and 'normality'. Many of the world's greatest works of art and prose were born from those minds many considered to be 'odd'.
    [/url]

My daughter is in the Army Cadets, she's selling Poppies in Derby today.

Tomorrow she's leading the Mercia Regiment into Derby for the remembrance service, carrying the "Normandy Veterans" Flag.

Am I proud of her or what?

I don't care that McClean doesn't wear one. What pissed me off is the fact when he originally did it he called a press conference to politicise the fact he didn't wear one. Fuck off, don't wear one if you don't want but don't make out you're some kind of revolutionary, you're a footballer: play football.

Chicken and egg scenario though you either get someone in who demands flashy perks and the charity makes more money or you get someone in who dosen’t want the perks but the charity makes less. Difficult one isn’t it?

I think the point being made is if everyone believes in what they are doing you should be able to have your cake and eat it, but, sadly, these days the top men demand top dollar for charity work.

The other view means that everybody makes the same; pay less get less, pay more get more, but it all evens out in the end.

We used to say charity begins at home.

Where's me hammer?

Quote Originally Posted by EmmersonForest4 View Post
    Chicken and egg scenario though you either get someone in who demands flashy perks and the charity makes more money or you get someone in who dosen’t want the perks but the charity makes less. Difficult one isn’t it?
    Paying more does not mean a better employee.

Paying more does not mean a better employee.
    It's called The Lansbury Principle.

It's called The Lansbury Principle.
    Completely absent from the squad today.

Bet his handicap is improving on the golf course.

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    My daughter is in the Army Cadets, she's selling Poppies in Derby today.

Tomorrow she's leading the Mercia Regiment into Derby for the remembrance service, carrying the "Normandy Veterans" Flag.

Am I proud of her or what?
    Brilliant feeling isn't it , My son was chosen a few years back for this proud moment

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk