Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Default Re: January 2019 transfer window

A Centre Back and a Left Back.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Billy Davies long lost lovechild.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzarecteh View Post
    From the game today it identifies 2 positions: Left back & box-to-box midfielder.

Left back, because Robinson went down today and if we lose him we are in trouble because we seem to lose a huge amount of balance to the side when he is out the side.

Box-to-box midfielder to replace Guedioura as his form drifts and as far as I can see, we have no real alternative to him that can do the role that he does.

Also, I would get Tomlin back on loan just to push others and those around him. Karanka & him know each other, and he was critisized last season for only doing it against the lesser teams, and that's something we could well do with at home especially. Him drifting in and out the team for the odd game would be ideal for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by GOBIAS View Post
    Definitely cover for left back and a gued replacement
    At least this year it finally feels as if it will happen.

I really can't see EM's drive for success doing anything other than get the players we require asap.

You have 31 players on your roster, several of them playing in more than one position. Some lines (goalkeepers, midfield) are severely overcrowded. So the first thing to do before thinking of new recruits is to debloat your roster.

As far as numbers are concerned, you only need a bencher left back, now that Ansarifard has signed. And even in that position there are solutions (Osborn, Colback). All the other requests I read here are an overkill, unless you ship people out. A centre-back? Come on, you have Dawson, Figueiredo and Fox in form, and Hefele. A striker? You just signed one. A replacement for Guedioura (a popular demand)? I repeat, Tachtsidis has the exact same style of play with Guedioura.

In January you make changes only to correct summer mistakes, fill obvious holes, or replace players who are sold or in the place of which you can find much better in a bargain. Sure, a left-footed centre back would be nice, but only if you decide that Fox will not play anymore. Are you sure that a replacement will fit in perfectly in time to help you?

January is not the time to change a team finding its stride.

Quote Originally Posted by GreeksBearingGifts View Post
    You have 31 players on your roster, several of them playing in more than one position. Some lines (goalkeepers, midfield) are severely overcrowded. So the first thing to do before thinking of new recruits is to debloat your roster.

As far as numbers are concerned, you only need a bencher left back, now that Ansarifard has signed. And even in that position there are solutions (Osborn, Colback). All the other requests I read here are an overkill, unless you ship people out. A centre-back? Come on, you have Dawson, Figueiredo and Fox in form, and Hefele. A striker? You just signed one. A replacement for Guedioura (a popular demand)? I repeat, Tachtsidis has the exact same style of play with Guedioura.

In January you make changes only to correct summer mistakes, fill obvious holes, or replace players who are sold or in the place of which you can find much better in a bargain. Sure, a left-footed centre back would be nice, but only if you decide that Fox will not play anymore. Are you sure that a replacement will fit in perfectly in time to help you?

January is not the time to change a team finding its stride.
    I agree with this if we're looking like battling for playoffs but nothing more. We've got a squad good enough to get in the mix and adding to it in January risks bringing up the dreaded 'gelling' word again before we even think about impact on current players who might not be happy with an even bigger squad.

If top two is still a possibility though then it's a different matter entirely. At that point then yes it's conceivable to think we might look to fix mistakes. People have woken up to the realisation that Pantillimon isn't that great, that Cash is struggling a bit for end product on the wings, that Fox does actually have weaknesses at the back and Hef blows hot/cold, and that Carvalho probably can't be relied on to deliver in every single game, especially when coming up against the more physical and energetic sides who won't give him time, space or admiration other teams have.

I think it'll come down to distance from top two at the turn of the new year. If we're within 6 points still, expect a fair bit of incoming action. If we're 12+ points away, expect next to no action. Anywhere in the middle of those two numbers we'll only strengthen if it's strategically sound to do so (aka we've identified a player we want and can sell a player we have in that position too and manager happy with both actions).

TLDR: Risk/reward ratios.

.k I m
    I m u mm

Quote Originally Posted by MaxiRobriguez View Post
    If top two is still a possibility though then it's a different matter entirely.
    You have a valid point there.

Forum Tactician

Quote Originally Posted by GOBIAS View Post
    Itís mindless though. I wouldnít mind if she spent the same money on 4 or 5 decent pairs. She always goes on about not being able to get a pair of timberlands anymore since we had kids. I want to say Ďyou could fucking have the ***** if you didnít squander the same money on ten shit pairs of slip ons from fucking primarkí. But I darenít.
    You daren't? Cmon mate.
    Ive divorced wives for less than that.

Impressive member

Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    You daren't? Cmon mate.
    Ive suffocated wives for less than that.
    FTFY

Left back (who can also head a ball) to backup the excellent Jack Robinson. That'll do.

As for Gued's understudy we haven't yet seen Panos T and I recon Colback could do a job there if needed judging on the number of times he gets forward to support the attack. Let's face it we're blessed.

Worth noting that so far this season the likes of Bridcut and Goncalves have been mostly involved with the 'second eleven'. Put one of them in with the 'first eleven' and they'll do alright I'm sure. Definitely time to move on a few more of the fringe contingent who haven't even featured in the cup side yet if possible and to make sure those out on loan only until January stay there for the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    You daren't? Cmon mate.
    Ive divorced wives for less than that.
    Can’t be bothered. I’m far too lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cortez the Killer View Post
    FTFY

Less hassle for sure.

oopsy daisy!

Quote Originally Posted by GreeksBearingGifts View Post
    You have 31 players on your roster, several of them playing in more than one position.
    A few more won't hurt.

I'd like to see us get a back-up LB for Robinson (who has been absolutely excellent). I realise the club think Benny Osborn can deputise there when necessary but we simply do not look as composed or solid when that happens.

I'd also like to see another winger. Lolley has been brilliant and Dias has shown flashes. Matty Cash is full of energy and running but sometimes lacks that killer final ball. Goncalves isn't being picked. A Joe Kinnear "blow your socks off" signing would be most welcome.

Assuming Tachtsidis is as accomplished to support Guedioura as GBG says he is, I think that would do nicely.

I'd like to see us get a back-up LB for Robinson (who has been absolutely excellent). I realise the club think Benny Osborn can deputise there when necessary but we simply do not look as composed or solid when that happens.

I'd also like to see another winger. Lolley has been brilliant and Dias has shown flashes. Matty Cash is full of energy and running but sometimes lacks that killer final ball. Goncalves isn't being picked. A Joe Kinnear "blow your socks off" signing would be most welcome.

Assuming Tachtsidis is as accomplished to support Guedioura as GBG says he is, I think that would do nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    I did not say he is as accomplished as Guedioura, merely that they have the same style, the only differences being that Tachtsidis is slower but with a better pass. OK, with more hair, too.

He may not fit in, he may not be up to the challenge of the Championship (the physicality will not be a problem his style is very physical), AK may never warm up to him, etc. One cannot know if he'll have the same impact as Guedioura.

The only point I'm making is that, in theory, you have a replacement for Guedioura, looking very much like Guedioura.

Here, there & anywhere that will have me..

Cover (or better) for left back. Someone with pace that can play wide or central attacking midfield.
    Ship out the likes of Bridcutt who isnít going to get game time. Perhaps even Watson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The beast is stirring yet again!! :devil:

it has nothing to do with football or NFFC

We've got the numbers now. Outside of having another left-back to compete with Robinson, who has been a revelation after his first few games settling in, we don't really need anything specific.

For me, i'd look for a left-back and they any other addition would be a case of something that is too good to turn down.

Even though a, I don't think they'd sell to a rival, and b, he's been linked with the likes of Spurs/Liverpool still. If we could go out and get Ollie Burke... i'd do it in an instant.

Matt Targett has only made 2 league appearances for Soton, could be available for another loan.
    Tyrone Mings hasn't played a league game for Bournemouth this season, could be free for a loan.
    Brendan Galloway hasn't played for Everton and you'd imagine would be available for a loan.
    Joe Bryan has only played 4 times for Fulham, so possibly not what Fulham want... I bet they enter the market again for more. Outside shot.

I'm sure there's plenty more, and European options too.

But essentially, a left-back is key. Then anything that might be a bit special. Ollie Burke would be the dream for me personally. Dias hasn't had quite the impact we were hoping for in an attacking sense, Goncalves hasn't had the opportunity, but get the feeling Karanka doesn't think he's what he wants. Burke is a match winner. If we were considering investing a substantial fee again, i'd choose to spend it on Burke ahead of Goncalves and Dias.

Not that type of player

Competition for left back, and then any player who is significantly better than what we have or who offers something different.

Last week I'd have said a striker, but Karim could be that player.

"Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

The Clapham Crusader

I'd definitely say a LB is needed. Robinson looks good but competition is always healthy and there's always injuries

Mings on loan would be ideal, he can also fill in at central defence.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    I'd definitely say a LB is needed. Robinson looks good but competition is always healthy and there's always injuries
    I think itís more about having an alternative for injuries and suspensions. There is no question about Robinsonís quality

Would love to know how many times he is the winner of a 50/50, it must be high especially in the last few matchhes

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Oh I wasn't suggesting he isn't.

I've just always got one eye on places where losing a player really cost us, and LB is one of those positions.
    Yep I was shitting myself when he went down on Sat. You could just see us losing the flow if he went off.

The Clapham Crusader

Quote Originally Posted by Rzarecteh View Post
    I think itís more about having an alternative for injuries and suspensions. There is no question about Robinsonís quality

Would love to know how many times he is the winner of a 50/50, it must be high especially in the last few matchhes
    Oh I wasn't suggesting he isn't quality.

I've just always got one eye on places where losing a player could really cost us, and LB is one of those positions.

Matt Targett a good call

The Clapham Crusader

Quote Originally Posted by derbyshirered View Post
    Matt Targett a good call
    He's definitely a target

Red til I'm dead

Just a really good attacking midfielder/winger for me.

Someone to really make the difference in the final third, ideally with pace. Iíd like a GK, but I donít think Karanka agrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk