Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Default Good old tunes on the Fairground.

Won't be too long before the Goose Fair arrives on the Forest in Nottingham.

When I was a teenager i used to love hanging around the Fairgrounds watching the rides and most important of all, the tunes played on those rides.

Some great songs were played on the Waltzers, Speedway, Dodgems etc.

Back in the 1970s, some great Northern Soul tunes were played on Silcock's Waltzer at Goose fair. Silcock's came down from the Northwest bringing loads of Northern on vinyl 45s.

Also songs such as 'Runaway'...Del Shannon, or 'The Wanderer' by Dion were often played on the Goose fair back in the day. Those tunes have made a lasting impression on me.

Memories of lasses I was seeing at the time that I had taken to the fair all had a tune attached to them.

Anyone else have fairground tune memories or is it just me being an old fart?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Good old tunes on the Fairground.

I remember they used to have "rock n roll dodgems", with each car being named after a rock n roll star of that era

Although one of them was named Cliff Richards (sic) so minus two for accuracy and spelling there

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    I remember they used to have "rock n roll dodgems", with each car being named after a rock n roll star of that era

Although one of them was named Cliff Richards (sic) so minus two for accuracy and spelling there
    Aye... yes those belonged to Carter's Steam fair. They mainly travel around the London area. Carter's are the best when it come's to a nostalgia fair.

The Wand!

I'd have liked to have seen the old fairground culture when there were gangs of Teds and decent music was being played.

The ones in our town were full of chavs and it was 80's pop music being played on the rides, in fact 'tell it to my heart' by Taylor Dayne still reminds me of the fair when I hear it.

Me and my brother were the urchins in the arcades. We'd use garden strimmer wire to clock credits up on bandits and games and bumping the push penny machines. Some of them had a sweet spot that wouldn't set the alarm off.
    Every UK holiday our parents took us on we'd eventually get banned out of all the arcades within the fortnight. I'm sure they remembered us whenever we went back to Torquay

My career ambition when I was about 13 was to be the guy who took the money on the Dodgems.

I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

Quote Originally Posted by alabamared View Post
    My career ambition when I was about 13 was to be the guy who took the money on the Dodgems.
    I started working on the Fair as a spare time hobby when I was 15yrs old. Some of the best days of my life.

I used to think I was David Essex ( film: That'll be the Day) I looked more like Ringo Starr

Thanks to days on the fairgrounds, ended up being a successful sign writer and showman's decorator.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    I'd have liked to have seen the old fairground culture when there were gangs of Teds and decent music was being played.

The ones in our town were full of chavs and it was 80's pop music being played on the rides, in fact 'tell it to my heart' by Taylor Dayne still reminds me of the fair when I hear it.

Me and my brother were the urchins in the arcades. We'd use garden strimmer wire to clock credits up on bandits and games and bumping the push penny machines. Some of them had a sweet spot that wouldn't set the alarm off.
    Every UK holiday our parents took us on we'd eventually get banned out of all the arcades within the fortnight. I'm sure they remembered us whenever we went back to Torquay

I'm jealous of the fairs that Rockabilly went too.

Mine were full of crap rave music. I do remember going on some waltzers that played heavy rock though, and randomly, Oasis's Roll With It.

Quote Originally Posted by Samvalho View Post
    I'm jealous of the fairs that Rockabilly went too.

Mine were full of crap rave music. I do remember going on some waltzers that played heavy rock though, and randomly, Oasis's Roll With It.
    There's a ride called the 'Skid' that attends Goose Fair, plays all the good old proper fairground tunes. Great atmosphere and its painted in the traditional style too.

"open your knees and feel the breeze"

"the shorter the skirt the longer the ride"

"the more you show, the faster we go"

"topless riders ride free"

"when the red light flickers, hang on to your knickers"

"hold on to the bar, or you'll lose your bra"

Those days are gone now, its all those shite manufactured jingles now days.

Nott'm/scanning the horizon @Brize.......

As I remember there were some tasty gang fights of a saturday. Were you drawn into any of them Rockerbilly?

Quote Originally Posted by george lyall View Post
    As I remember there were some tasty gang fights of a saturday. Were you drawn into any of them Rockerbilly?
    I saw a couple back in the late 70s, Teds v Punks on the Bass Recreation Ground in Derby. Also a few nasty moments on Saturday nights at the Goose fair back in 1984 and 85 too.

I kept out of the way of the gang fights, I was more interested in pulling lasses on the rides.

We used to get a few local drunken twats trying their luck with the fair lads, often they went home after a good pasting. They'd return the next day with a few of their mates. They were no match for the fair lads and the showmen folk.

Nott'm/scanning the horizon @Brize.......

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly View Post
    I saw a couple back in the late 70s, Teds v Punks on the Bass Recreation Ground in Derby. Also a few nasty moments on Saturday nights at the Goose fair back in 1984 and 85 too.

I kept out of the way of the gang fights, I was more interested in pulling lasses on the rides.

We used to get a few local drunken twats trying their luck with the fair lads, often they went home after a good pasting. They'd return the next day with a few of their mates. They were no match for the fair lads and the showmen folk.
    Heard about a few of those late night fights at goose fair and taking on the fair lads with knuckle dusters and razors.

Quote Originally Posted by george lyall View Post
    Heard about a few of those late night fights at goose fair and taking on the fair lads with knuckle dusters and razors.
    There was a good cameradory with all the fair lads at the 'Goose'. You met up with lads you had made friends with earlier during the summer at various other fairs.

Work hard all day and night, pull a bird or three end up in the boozer after closing.

The only slight problem with the aggro on Goose Fair Saturday night was come the end of the night, most of us were knackered from non stop work from the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday setting up the rides. Then the long days and nights working on the rides and the after hours in the pub.

Funny thing was, all the lasses that we'd pulled at various places over the summer would all turn up at the same time at the Goose fair.

My best memory of the Goose Fair was when I went into the Roaring 20s as a virginal 16 year old.
    There were "tableaux" of naked(?) women representing different aspects of female sexuality.
    Usually they were behind a black gauzy chiffon front-drop.
    One year I looked on in ecstasy as one of the girls in the tableaux winked at me, and I realised she was in the U6th at my school.
    I was a mere wet-behind-the-ears 5th former.
    The other memory was knocking back cider in the Vernon Arms before swaggering down to the Fair for a bit of fun.
    This year I shall be going with Mrs S - she is a Goose Fair Virgin and is looking forward to having a cock on a stick to suck.

Edit: I also remember being a bit embarrassed taking my first love on the Waltzer to the sound of Wet Dream by Max Romeo.
    Oh to be 16 again, but with the knowledge I have accumulated now!

Last edited by Captain Sinister; 13-09-18 at 21:14.

Goose fair back in the day was quality.

10 goes on the speedway, then straight off to the boxing booth to watch the midgets go at it.

Remember the mixed race wrestler who used to invite volunteers from the crowd, stuck my hand up a few times until I twigged the ones chosen must have been planted in the crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    My best memory of the Goose Fair was when I went into the Roaring 20s as a virginal 16 year old.
    There were "tableaux" of naked(?) women representing different aspects of female sexuality.
    Usually they were behind a black gauzy chiffon front-drop.
    One year I looked on in ecstasy as one of the girls in the tableaux winked at me, and I realised she was in the U6th at my school.
    I was a mere wet-behind-the-ears 5th former.
    The other memory was knocking back cider in the Vernon Arms before swaggering down to the Fair for a bit of fun.
    This year I shall be going with Mrs S - she is a Goose Fair Virgin and is looking forward to having a cock on a stick to suck.

Edit: I also remember being a bit embarrassed taking my first love on the Waltzer to the sound of Wet Dream by Max Romeo.
    Oh to be 16 again, but with the knowledge I have accumulated now!
    Yes i remember the Roaring 20s show. I was too young to go in there. I do remember scantly dressed ladies parading on the stage at the front of the show. One the ladies was playing a snare drum as the showman was speiling.

Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    Goose fair back in the day was quality.

10 goes on the speedway, then straight off to the boxing booth to watch the midgets go at it.

Remember the mixed race wrestler who used to invite volunteers from the crowd, stuck my hand up a few times until I twigged the ones chosen must have been planted in the crowd.
    Aye the boxing booth was great. I remember seeing sqauddies getting paid to take a good pasting from the fairground boxing champion.

I also remember the Snake Girl show too.

Yes i remember the Roaring 20s show. I was too young to go in there. I do remember scantly dressed ladies parading on the stage at the front of the show. One the ladies was playing a snare drum as the showman was speiling.
    Is that you in the flat cap near the front?

The Wand!

Quote Originally Posted by alabamared View Post
    Is that you in the flat cap near the front?
    That's Otis. Rockabilly is the one wearing braces in the entrance doorway.

https://bakersfieldlad.wordpress.com...-october-1968/

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    That's Otis. Rockabilly is the one wearing braces in the entrance doorway.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sinister View Post
    Nice one captain.