Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: League Cup Third Round Draw

Not that type of player

Default Re: League Cup Third Round Draw

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stone's Mullet View Post
    You'd have thought we'd at least get into the QF of the Isthmian League Cup.
    Indeed. And the Football League Trophy.

It’s a strange list. Why are we comparing ourselves to clubs who’ve entered small lower league competitions?

Personally I’m only interested in where we are in terms of major competitions.

It only takes a second to score a goal.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Clapham Eco Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    Personally I’m only interested in where we are in terms of major competitions.
    Even then it's still a terrible record

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Even then it's still a terrible record
    No one is doubting that the past two decades have been the worst period in the club’s history, but I don’t think Arnold Town reaching the semi final of the County Cup has any relevance to us.

Clapham Eco Warrior

No one is doubting that the past two decades haven’t been the worst period in the club’s history, but I don’t think Arnold Town reaching the semi final of the County Cup has any relevance to us.
    Sorry I think you missed my point, which was that our record in major trophies has been quite poor

If you don't win it, your record is poor.

We can enjoy the fun of going through rounds, but no-one truly gives a fuck if they lose in the semi-final of a cup.

Bar 5/6 teams, everyone's record is poor.

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Sorry I think you missed my point, which was that our record in major trophies has been quite poor
    I agree, and that list makes it seem much worse than it is by including irrelevant data.

...the Liatrom Red

I agree, and that list makes it seem much worse than it is by including irrelevant data.
    no it doesn't. Every club at every level has different expectations. A Rochdale fan wouldn't expect to be in a FA Cup/League Cup Quarter Final but would a Football League Trophy one. Don't forget we've failed in that on three occasions as well.

No one is doubting that the past two decades have been the worst period in the club’s history, but I don’t think Arnold Town reaching the semi final of the County Cup has any relevance to us.
    It does when its a valid competition at their level.

We had three years in div 3 and failed to make the last 8 of the FL Trophy. A non league side even put us out. Southmpton had one year down there and won it. Whatever level we've been at, our cup crapness has followed us.

A div 4 team has at lot less chance of making a QF in the FA Cup than a Championship club, but there are knockout competitions for every side to compete in. Since 96 we have competed in knockout football less successfully than the other 91.

Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 31-08-18 at 13:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Roonaldo View Post
    Yeah, bit of a red herring that one but as AFC Wimbledon have officially only been around 16 years they're still nowhere as bad as us!
    I'd say they're much worse than us.

Not reaching a major QF or whatever doesn't mean reaching an inferior or tinpot cup QF is a better achievement.

Ultimately bar the few teams that have won, we've all failed.

I couldn't care less who has or hasn't reached a QF, because what the hell does it matter? Well done, you still didn't win.

...the Liatrom Red

I'd say they're much worse than us.

Not reaching a major QF or whatever doesn't mean reaching an inferior or tinpot cup QF is a better achievement.

Ultimately bar the few teams that have won, we've all failed.

I couldn't care less who has or hasn't reached a QF, because what the hell does it matter? Well done, you still didn't win.
    So you don't care, fair enough.

Point of the post is to highlight how poor we are at progressing in cup competitions, which generate extra revenue and improve morale.

The latter point is only my opinion and possibly the opinions of a fair few 18+ year old Forest fans that have never experienced a decent cup run. We didn't win the FA Cup in 88 but Leyton Orient & Arsenal away remain two of my all time greatest memories as a Forest fan but hey ho, we didn't win it so it didn't matter.

Hmmmmm....

Last edited by Roonaldo; 31-08-18 at 13:15.

Sure, it's a nice experience at the time. I'm saying that down the line, who cares if you don't win. We all love watching our team win matches, but I don't look back and think, 'damn look at all these teams who are reaching QF's and getting knocked out, wish we were in their shoes'.

Haven't really had a chance of reaching a QF aside from when Bottle Job Bill threw the FA cup game at Sheffield United. Much like any other game we played with Billy in charge that had any kind of stakes riding on it, we deservedly lost.

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    It does when its a valid competition at their level.

We had three years in div 3 and failed to make the last 8 of the FL Trophy. A non league side even put us out. Southmpton had one year down there and won it. Whatever level we've been at, our cup crapness has followed us.

A div 4 team has at lot less chance of making a QF in the FA Cup than a Championship club, but there are knockout competitions for every side to compete in. Since 96 we have competed in knockout football less successfully than the other 91.
    I guess we should start singing, “Champions of Europe, you’ll never sing that, although obviously winning the Little Minor Cup was just as important to a club at your level, I mean it’s all relative isn’t it...”.

Because you might, as a fan, have actually had something along the way to enjoy. We've had nothing. But your definition of failure, every club bar Real Madrid that have played in the CL for the past three seasons have failed. I think most peoole would take that kind of failure.

Most of us would just enjoy emulating what fourth division Bradford did the League Cup a few years ago. And some of would just settle on a cup quarter final. Because the knockouts make up two thirds of the competition Forest enter, and the club beyond pathetic in them for two decades.

Sure, it's a nice experience at the time. I'm saying that down the line, who cares if you don't win. We all love watching our team win matches, but I don't look back and think, 'damn look at all these teams who are reaching QF's and getting knocked out, wish we were in their shoes'.
    They didnt all get knockout at the QF stage. You have to get there first before you can make a SF.

Banned

Luckily we've been dominating the League every season, so it's all irrelevant.......

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

During the run, of course i'd enjoy it. Can't say i'd look back on it fondly down the line though.

I can't say I have any envy of a team who has reached and lost in a QF of a cup.

I guess we should start singing, “Champions of Europe, you’ll never sing that, although obviously winning the Little Minor Cup was just as important to a club at your level, I mean it’s all relative isn’t it...”.
    Winning minor trophies was important to Forest. So yep why not. Winning the FA Trophy would the pinnacle for plenty of non league sides. If we didn't want to be Billy Medium Bollocks, we probably would say that. It wouldn't fit in a song however.

Last edited by Francis Benali (on loan); 31-08-18 at 13:45.

...the Liatrom Red

During the run, of course i'd enjoy it. Can't say i'd look back on it fondly down the line though.

I can't say I have any envy of a team who has reached and lost in a QF of a cup.
    That's because I expect you've been to a few. You've been spoilt!

What about the supporters that have never experienced travelling away with 10k+ Reds and had a sniff of Wemberley?

Some of our Quarter finals and Semi finals prior to this baron spell have been amazing experiences that I'll treasure forever. We've got 22 year old supporters that have never known that.

I've only experienced the QF vs Bayern.

If we get to the semi-final say, of the EFL cup, i'll enjoy the journey whilst it's happening. But I can't say I would give a flying in the long run.

I wouldn't feel like it gives me anything over any other fan of a club, 'where did you get in the cup' wouldn't really apply.

...the Liatrom Red

I've only experienced the QF vs Bayern.

If we get to the semi-final say, of the EFL cup, i'll enjoy the journey whilst it's happening. But I can't say I would give a flying in the long run.

I wouldn't feel like it gives me anything over any other fan of a club, 'where did you get in the cup' wouldn't really apply.
    It's not about bravado, it's about treasured memories and most of mine have come through cup runs, not least in 1993/94. It's seriously wank that we've not had one since in ANY competition.

I would treasure reaching a final at Wembley, for sure.

Not losing in a QF or SF.

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Luckily we've been dominating the League every season, so it's all irrelevant.......

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk
    We aren’t debating whether these have been the worst twenty years in the club’s history or not. They are. That isn’t the point.

Fans get carried away with the level of their team and think it reflects on them. It doesn't. Fans of Chelsea, Forest and Woking are all just watching a football team.

When their team does well at the level they play, its a lot of fun. When it does badly, it's not that much fun. When their team goes on a cup run it can be a lot fun, like older Forest fans and fans of most other clubs can attest. Fans of Forest under thirty, would not know.

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Benali (on loan) View Post
    Winning minor was important to Forest. So yep why not. Winning the FA Trophy would the pinnacle for plenty of non league sides. If we didn't want to be Billy Medium Bollocks, we probably would say that. It would fit in a song however.
    We’ve reached the semi finals of the 2nd div play offs in that time. Far more relevant than the Wall Paper Paste and Roller Trophy.