Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workware

The Wand!

Default Re: Workware

Quote Originally Posted by Aitor KarAndy! View Post
    I get through more than one pair of shoes a year, which when I average about 12,000 steps and weigh 18 stone isn't bad, trouble is work will only buy cheaper ones but it ends up costing them more than buying decent ones.

The site stuff by screwfix isn't bad if on a budget.
    That's the problem with using supplied PPE, it's free but usually standard budget stuff. The boots in particular.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

It used to be ok, you'd get £x to spend and a catalogue, I used to spend most on boots, now we just get "do you want hiker, chukka or trainers" I always have trainers because although they all wear the bottoms the same the trainers tear the top so when you go into admin they can see the holes

I walk around like everything is fine but deep down, in my shoe, my sock is sliding off.

Rice 13

Arco have a decent selection of footwear and trousers in that you can try on before comitting to buying, although it can be a little pricey if you dont go during the promos, so maybe worth just trying them on and then looking round elsewhere for them cheaper.

Inhave wore snickers trouser for years, one pair usually last me a year which for wearing them 10 hours a day for at least 5 days a week is decent going. Although if site allows I do have snickers shorts too, just have to remember that they dont have knee pads in when kneeling down.

The Wand!

Quote Originally Posted by uredsuns View Post
    Arco have a decent selection of footwear and trousers in that you can try on before comitting to buying, although it can be a little pricey if you dont go during the promos, so maybe worth just trying them on and then looking round elsewhere for them cheaper.

Inhave wore snickers trouser for years, one pair usually last me a year which for wearing them 10 hours a day for at least 5 days a week is decent going. Although if site allows I do have snickers shorts too, just have to remember that they dont have knee pads in when kneeling down.
    I think the no shorts rule on sites is ridiculous if you are not using hot works.
    Trousers are horrible in summer, especially if you are up and down ladders or a hop-up all day, they stick to your legs. That's why a lot of plasterers wear joggers or tracky bottoms, they are less restricting.

Rice 13

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    I think the no shorts rule on sites is ridiculous if you are not using hot works.
    Trousers are horrible in summer, especially if you are up and down ladders or a hop-up all day, they stick to your legs. That's why a lot of plasterers wear joggers or tracky bottoms, they are less restricting.
    I have asked several H&S site reps in the and none have been avle to give a reason apart from " thats site rules".

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

We've been asking for shorts for years. All to be told we can't wear them while "customers" are in but it went no further. Last week a line manager walked in in shorts so the security guard asked "Can we wear them now then?" "No, I'm management and I'm allowed" replied the biggest **** I've ever met. Good job he's not my line manager, I'd have the **** outside.

My shorts go on about May and come off end of September , putting Trousers on again is horrible for the first week .
    And being my own boss I wear what I want .
    Couldn't work in trousers during the summer it would kill me.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

I have asked several H&S site reps in the and none have been avle to give a reason apart from " thats site rules".
    if its a rule, its in the risk assessment, all employees and subbies have a right to see "comprehensiable and relevant information" on saftey at work measures including protective clothing etc

We shall meet again before long to march to new triumphs - Giuseppe Garibaldi

it depends what substatnces your working with too, cement is an irritant for example, so exposure should be limited

my old man died from industrial disese, but he was party to it with a macho attitude about H&S and protective equipment...

government and employers should enforce their own responsibilities, and saftey at work is something a worker can derogate from

Rice 13

Quote Originally Posted by Red Unity View Post
    if its a rule, its in the risk assessment, all employees and subbies have a right to see "comprehensiable and relevant information" on saftey at work measures including protective clothing etc
    I understand that, and have never actually seen it written as specific “full leg covering” or anything else that covers it. Why if our legs are at risk can we wear t-shirts? As a electrician alot of my work is low level therefore exposing my arms to the same risk as my legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Wand!

Quote Originally Posted by lard View Post
    My shorts go on about May and come off end of September , putting Trousers on again is horrible for the first week .
    And being my own boss I wear what I want .
    Couldn't work in trousers during the summer it would kill me.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
    Same here mate.

I don't like the rubber knee pads either. They make my knees sweat, then stick to my knee cap, which then makes my knees swell up. I use the knee pads that strap around your leg if I'm fitting a floor or kneeling a lot.

An old Joiner I know wears 80's style football shorts and flip flops everyday. Cracks me up every time

I understand that, and have never actually seen it written as specific “full leg covering” or anything else that covers it. Why if our legs are at risk can we wear t-shirts? As a electrician alot of my work is low level therefore exposing my arms to the same risk as my legs.

I agree that fit-all rules don't help. It's cheaper and easy to do it that way, but actually leads to more breaches and resentment.

The Wand!

Totally agree. It contradicts. Let's not complain too much though, it might give them ideas.

The only time I've worn trousers for actual safety was when I was running the bitumen pot on flat roofing. If you got splashed with that stuff it permanently scarred you.