Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 271

Thread: Alan Hutton

  1. #51
    Forum Tactician
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    B C UPPER
    Posts
    14,698

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    Quote Originally Posted by gamble View Post
    Probably the same reason a player who played well at the start of the season and was arguably the best player in the firat half of tbe season got written off because he had bad form towards the end and then was hardly played.
    Its easier to get enthused about a player on an upward curve. Darikwa started poorly, ground it out to become a very viable right back proposal for next season under Karanka. Id rather back that player than the one who starts well & gets found out.

    As for Hutton, he's another with the quality & mentality to take us places.


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

  3. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,248

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    I'm not massively excited but also not disappointed. He has had an average career and is 34 now. But is an upgrade on Lichaj for the purpose of the position under Aitor especially.

    Just going to let it play out and hopefully can contribute and be the success we all want him to be.

    I'm not sure I want too many more 32,33,34,35 year-olds signing for us though.


  4. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    'ull
    Posts
    11,163

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    Quote Originally Posted by BryanRoy View Post
    I'm not massively excited but also not disappointed. He has had an average career and is 34 now. But is an upgrade on Lichaj for the purpose of the position under Aitor especially.

    Just going to let it play out and hopefully can contribute and be the success we all want him to be.

    I'm not sure I want too many more 32,33,34,35 year-olds signing for us though.
    This sums it up perfectly for me.


  5. #54

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    It's about balance and variety.

    We could easily have a team with a number of; Worrall, Toby, Osborn, Cash, Brereton, Lolley, Carvalho & Goncalves in it, and that needs an experienced spine in it.

    I'm delighted with the experience we're adding. Watson, Dawson, Hutton? It's not Danny Sonner, Paul Evans and Nicky Eaden... It's real quality experience and leadership. Good pros who do things right.


  6. #55
    Clapham Eco Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Mower World
    Posts
    24,253

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    More chance of Alan Bennett


  7. #56
    Best served cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cliftonia
    Posts
    24,562

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    So, people are mad that we are trying to sign a quality right back, who was also good enough to persistently cover left back for a team that got to the play off final, on a free transfer. Because he's too old and we should be looking at younger alternatives who could be "hidden gems". Yet we are also mad that we are trying to sign a highly rated young left back, because he played in a team that finished that finished one place below us despite him earning positive reviews from most places, as we want experienced quality. However, not experienced quality that costs any money.

    I am so confused about exactly what the specific criteria is that the club must only abide by when signing players. Where is this mythical pool of players at their peak who are too good for this league, all available for nothing and willing to play for peanuts?

    Last edited by incapable hulk; 13-06-18 at 09:56.
    "I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a c**k like a burmese python, and the mind of a f**king scientist" - Kenny Powers

  8. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,374

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    Quote Originally Posted by incapable hulk View Post
    So, people are mad that we are trying to sign a quality right back, who was also good enough to persistently cover left back for a team that got to the play off final, on a free transfer. Because he's too old and we should be looking at younger alternatives who could be "hidden gems". Yet we are also mad that we are trying to sign a highly rated young left back, because he played in a team that finished that finished one place below us despite him earning positive reviews from most places, as we want experienced quality. However, not experienced quality that costs any money.

    I am so confused about exactly what the specific criteria is that the club must only abide by when signing players. Where is this mythical pool of players at their peak who are too good for this league, all available for nothing and willing to play for peanuts?
    Also people moaning about us not spending big money on players, then complaining about us spending too much on Carvalho. The club can't win with some folk.

    For the most part, I'm happy with the players we've been linked with so far this summer and feel that most of these players would improve us.


  9. #58
    Clapham Eco Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Mower World
    Posts
    24,253

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    Just sign quality. Don't care how old they are or where they come from.

    Easier said than done I know but that's where the powers that be earn their money.


  10. #59
    Forum Tactician
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    B C UPPER
    Posts
    14,698

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    Quote Originally Posted by incapable hulk View Post
    I am so confused about exactly what the specific criteria is that the club must only abide by when signing players.
    Ignoring the opinion of most of our fans should be up there.


  11. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9,248

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    Some Villa fans thoughts

    He finished the season as our best left back. If he goes we are left with Taylor and that is it and given the choice of the two I would take Hutton all day long.

    I'd also be happy for us to match the two years that Forest are apparently offering. He is one of the fittest players at the club and can comfortably do another couple of years, certainly at this level.
    Good riddance.

    One of the lowest football IQ players I have seen, and such limited technique. Hutton was symptomatic of the low standards permeating the club in recent years.
    I love him at left back, makes less errors than at right back (which he would then save with a last ditch challenge) but at left back he seems to be a lot more solid. I've been a critic, but if we can keep him for another year and have him at left back, I would take him. Possible captain?
    All our players are good at most things, but not at some....Alan Hutton has a positional problem at times....and its reared its ugly head on numerous occasions.....I would keep him for another season, if the wages were right. Taylor is just weak per se.
    I have been a big critic of Hutton in the past, but would not be against him staying on here at lower more realistic wages. He was a big drain on resources in the past as he was bombed out, and I thought his tendency to switch off tended to result in goals against.

    For the level we are currently at, and with Hutton looking a lot better in the second half of the season, and to try and keep a bit of continuity within the squad, a one year deal would be a good option for both parties.



  12. #61
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Mixer
    Posts
    34,218

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    If he signs we will have a dependable and experienced pro of the right quality who can slot in either at LB or RB when asked. He won't cost anything other than a couple of years wages. I don’t see a problem.

    It only takes a second to score a goal.

  13. #62
    Not that type of player
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Mixer
    Posts
    34,218

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    Quote Originally Posted by incapable hulk View Post
    So, people are mad that we are trying to sign a quality right back, who was also good enough to persistently cover left back for a team that got to the play off final, on a free transfer. Because he's too old and we should be looking at younger alternatives who could be "hidden gems". Yet we are also mad that we are trying to sign a highly rated young left back, because he played in a team that finished that finished one place below us despite him earning positive reviews from most places, as we want experienced quality. However, not experienced quality that costs any money.

    I am so confused about exactly what the specific criteria is that the club must only abide by when signing players. Where is this mythical pool of players at their peak who are too good for this league, all available for nothing and willing to play for peanuts?
    Confusing isn’t it.

    Karanka’s criteria seems to be a mixture of experienced and reliable leaders, players with the right mentality who are at or near their peak, and youngsters with creativity, flair and pace. Hard to find all of that in one player.


  14. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In a tophat.
    Posts
    13,586

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    Quote Originally Posted by incapable hulk View Post
    So, people are mad that we are trying to sign a quality right back, who was also good enough to persistently cover left back for a team that got to the play off final, on a free transfer. Because he's too old and we should be looking at younger alternatives who could be "hidden gems". Yet we are also mad that we are trying to sign a highly rated young left back, because he played in a team that finished that finished one place below us despite him earning positive reviews from most places, as we want experienced quality. However, not experienced quality that costs any money.

    I am so confused about exactly what the specific criteria is that the club must only abide by when signing players. Where is this mythical pool of players at their peak who are too good for this league, all available for nothing and willing to play for peanuts?


    doyen of boomer energy

  15. #64
    Where's me hammer?
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    46,939

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Unity View Post
    Someone clearly #itk mocking folk who aint got a clue and hes got it spot on....even the Brentford bit.


  16. #65
    It's all about mid-table...
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wetherspoons
    Posts
    16,516

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    If Kranky is trying to build a team of experience and a mix of youth I'm all for it, but you need some real quality in your team to get out of this league.

    Hutton is another Lihaj, he'll do a job to help you stay in the 2cnd division, without proper quality we'll be nearer the bottom than the top 6.


  17. #66

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymondo Ponte' View Post
    If Kranky is trying to build a team of experience and a mix of youth I'm all for it, but you need some real quality in your team to get out of this league.

    Hutton is another Lihaj, he'll do a job to help you stay in the 2cnd division, without proper quality we'll be nearer the bottom than the top 6.
    I think Hutton's and Lichaj's pedigree is somewhat different.

    1 has something like 200 games for Prem clubs, the other about 40.


  18. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,571

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    Quote Originally Posted by MASE View Post
    Its easier to get enthused about a player on an upward curve. Darikwa started poorly, ground it out to become a very viable right back proposal for next season under Karanka. Id rather back that player than the one who starts well & gets found out.

    As for Hutton, he's another with the quality & mentality to take us places.
    But thats just wrong on both accounts, Darikwa only had 6 goodish games and his poor start was down to his confidence which seems pretty fragile so he can easily slip back into poor form, he also was still making silly errors which should have cost us (2 clear penalties not given in 1 game), the other option where a player loses form should be that a good manager should be able to coach him out of it. Both types of players/situations should be encouraged and not written off ans i dont know why our fans are so eager to do so.

    God forbid if the new expensive signings have a bad run of form as they will be written off immediately.


  19. #68
    It's all about mid-table...
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wetherspoons
    Posts
    16,516

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stone's Mullet View Post
    I think Hutton's and Lichaj's pedigree is somewhat different.

    1 has something like 200 games for Prem clubs, the other about 40.
    Have to agree to disagree. His best years are past him and I don't buy into that 'pedigree' about that league above. Quality are in the top 4 or 5 clubs, the rest are nothing special and some are carried along if they can do a job and show commitment which Hutton does tbf.

    I bet there's defenders in the lower leagues with such attributes with time on their side.


  20. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    22,833

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    The problem, as seen with Murphy, is that physical attributes can drop off a cliff fairly rapidly.

    Modern full back, especially under a Karanka system, is going to need a lot of energy.

    It's a risk, especially if costs a fair chunk in wages.

    .k I m
    I m u mm

  21. #70

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymondo Ponte' View Post
    Have to agree to disagree. His best years are past him and I don't buy into that 'pedigree' about that league above. Quality are in the top 4 or 5 clubs, the rest are nothing special and some are carried along if they can do a job and show commitment which Hutton does tbf.

    I bet there's defenders in the lower leagues with such attributes with time on their side.
    I think it's over the top to suggest only the top 4/5 clubs have a different calibre of player to us.

    He's literally been in a team that lost out in the play-offs, ours was in a team that has staved off relegation for the umpteenth season.

    They've had very different careers.


  22. #71
    Best served cold
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cliftonia
    Posts
    24,562

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Unity View Post
    Ha! That’s brilliant, great timing.


  23. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,172

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    Shock news - Different people have different opinions.


  24. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In a tophat.
    Posts
    13,586

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Baggio View Post
    Shock news - Different people have different opinions.
    IT's no shock. The critique comes from the assurity of opinion, where everyone holds their own opinion as the obvious truth. And then when things don't actualise to that opion its a life-threatening calamity of malignant intent.

    Basically, you can't please all people all of the time. If you're the manager etc you have to live by your opionions but know you'll be crucified for them.


  25. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,172

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Unity View Post
    IT's no shock. The critique comes from the assurity of opinion, where everyone holds their own opinion as the obvious truth. And then when things don't actualise to that opion its a life-threatening calamity of malignant intent.

    Basically, you can't please all people all of the time. If you're the manager etc you have to live by your opionions but know you'll be crucified for them.
    It's a Football forum, if there was no assurity of opinion then no-one would be here.

    I just think collating multiple opinions into one giant 'oh look how fickle we are' Straw man is a bit odd. I don't think we should be signing over 30's, however I don't have a problem taking a young full back from Hull on a free or spending fortunes on two Portuguese wonderkids. Opinions/ideals vary.


  26. #75
    Forum Tactician
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    B C UPPER
    Posts
    14,698

    Default Re: Alan Hutton

    Quote Originally Posted by gamble View Post
    God forbid if the new expensive signings have a bad run of form as they will be written off immediately.
    Every player gets a fair crack here if they at least put the graft in during a bad run. There's a huge difference between trying things that don't come off & hiding out on the touchline, if McKay ever got another go here, he'd do well to remember it.


 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •