Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Thread: Billy Walker

Default Billy Walker

It is something that has bugged me for some time that he has not got enough recognition at the club so it's good to see pieces like this & Don Wright mentioning a museum in the re-development of the City Ground.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ars-apart.html

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The leafy, rarified suburb of Sneinton, Nottingham.

Default Re: Billy Walker

I have a clear memory as a schoolboy of queuing up with dozens of other kids in the CG car park to get Billy Walker's autograph shortly after our FA Cup triumph. What stands out most though is that for the entire time I queued, he never removed his cigarette from the corner of his mouth, and the sight of ash virtually covering the shoulder of his jacket still remains vivid.

Left Winger

One of the very few Managers to win the FA Cup with two different clubs too, and - if memory serves me - he has the record for the biggest “gap” between his two wins, at 24 years?

"It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

Quote Originally Posted by chriscl View Post
    One of the very few Managers to win the FA Cup with two different clubs too, and - if memory serves me - he has the record for the biggest “gap” between his two wins, at 24 years?
    He won it as a player at Villa and as manager at Wednesday & then at Forest

Not that type of player

I agree he certainly deserves far more recognition at the club. A proper legend.

"Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

Nott'm/scanning the horizon @Brize.......

That 1959 cup win was arguably the finest achievement we had until the Clough era. Billy and the team are a must for any museum or as a stand alone tribute

My first hero at Forest and a proper legend at the club. We were in Div III (S) when I first noticed the club and after that it was a steady ascent to the top Division and a win in the FA Cup, much more than I ever hoped or expected.

As stated, deserves much more recognition; sadly his triumphs were before the era of recording tape, colour TV and all the other trappings of modern football hysteria.

Here's to you Billy, Forest legend

“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

Probably not sober

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery View Post
    See what you did there...

Not that type of player

The FA Cup win should be deservedly celebrated more than it is, but Walker's legacy was in establishing NFFC as a top flight and household name football club - the foundation of the 'modern' Forest, which Carey and then Clough/Taylor were able to later build upon.

I loved him on Corrie

Last edited by Red Unity; 18-05-18 at 17:25.
    We shall meet again before long to march to new triumphs - Giuseppe Garibaldi

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    The FA Cup win should be deservedly celebrated more than it is, but Walker's legacy was in establishing NFFC as a top flight and household name football club - the foundation of the 'modern' Forest, which Carey and then Clough/Taylor were able to later build upon.
    Indeed Ravi.

He did so much more than just what he did in his 21 years here as a manager. Making us the most supported team in the City/County and getting us through financial ruin. He did this with promoting youth and was the first to start a youth drive in the country looking for young talented footballers during the war. It was also the style with which his teams played. This all got topped of with promotion and an FA Cup win.

But he laid the foundations for our 2nd longest (15 seasons) run in top flight football behind the (16) of Clough.

We also had one of our greatest teams in the 60s with Carey that would have involved players from his youth drive ie McKinlay, Winfield, Chapman, Grummitt, Newton, Storey-Moore & others of course.

Last edited by BryanRoy; 18-05-18 at 17:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery View Post
    One decent Billeh, there’s only one...