Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 2 of 116 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Default Re: Summer 2018 transfer window

colback is not a must buy, seeing as we still have geddy and bridcutt in our ranks. watson ia the spine of our midfield and our captain and still with us. tomlin,if he continue his form will be a must buy although warnock will not make it easy , he'll no doubt asked for a ridiculous amount of money. the short term players, is up to them to earn a new contract. wonder if they'll end up on trial in the summer.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

With Dowell and Tomlin both being loanees, the crucial step to build a team that starts to look like a serious promotion contender is to buy an an attacking midfielder. You cannot rely on loans for such a crucial position. Whether it's Tomlin, Dowell or someone else is a different discussion, but you need a permanent acquisition in that position.

Don't think he will go in for Dowell again personally, he seems to like the no.10 to be able to play wide as well.

Would love it if Tomlin becomes available but he has a good track record of finding pretty good ones. I believe he replaced Tomlin with Gaston Ramirez at Boro.

Judging by his business on deadline day, and his business in the past at Boro I would guess we will see very few of the old faces that have been here for a while.

It certainly won't be a quiet summer.

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by GreeksBearingGifts View Post
    With Dowell and Tomlin both being loanees, the crucial step to build a team that starts to look like a serious promotion contender is to buy an an attacking midfielder. You cannot rely on loans for such a crucial position. Whether it's Tomlin, Dowell or someone else is a different discussion, but you need a permanent acquisition in that position.
    Jota at Wolves. Season long loan.

It only takes a second to score a goal.

Impressive member

I'd definitely like Tomlin and Panty on a permanent. Colback would cost more but I don't expect Watson and Lolley are on peanuts so if we're being ambitious we need to pay what it takes to be ambitious.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    Made permanent in the summer now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi View Post
    Birmingham goes down, we take the real jota off their hands?

I'm thinking/hoping Karanka will look to Spain if we can't get a deal for Tomlin done. Plenty of good technical attacking mids there, even in the Segunda Division which is where Leeds picked Saiz up from and besides the spitting incident he's looked decent.

Stuani, who Karanka had at Boro, is scoring plenty in La Liga for Girona, they also have a lad called Portu who plays off Stuani and looks quality. They've built a very decent side there, performing really well in La Liga.

Impressive member

I think it's essential we give the new players and loanees as much playing time as possible now till the end of the season as a way of assessing. If that means dropping Dowell, then so be it. We need to think about NFFC now, not developing Everton's players. I wonder if Karanka knows already where he needs to strengthen in the summer. Right now I'd say a proven striker is the absolute priority.

Billy Davies long lost lovechild.

Quote Originally Posted by J'Psycho'C66 View Post
    I'm thinking/hoping Karanka will look to Spain if we can't get a deal for Tomlin done. Plenty of good technical attacking mids there, even in the Segunda Division which is where Leeds picked Saiz up from and besides the spitting incident he's looked decent.

Stuani, who Karanka had at Boro, is scoring plenty in La Liga for Girona, they also have a lad called Portu who plays off Stuani and looks quality. They've built a very decent side there, performing really well in La Liga.
    It will have been a totally pointless excercise us bringing him here & sharpening him up if we aren't going to sign him perminantly. We'd have added expense to the wage bill to do another club a favour.

Clapham Eco Warrior

Tomlin clearly fitting and already seeming very happy here is a good sign he'll end up making the switch

Quote Originally Posted by Alf-ugginblowupyourbakery View Post
    It will have been a totally pointless excercise us bringing him here & sharpening him up if we aren't going to sign him perminantly. We'd have added expense to the wage bill to do another club a favour.
    Well not totally pointless if his goals and playmaking are the things keeping us out of a relegation battle.

It's catch 22, the better he plays for us the more we want him but also the better he plays the more Warnock will want for him.

In my opinion he'll stay because Cardiff will go up and Warnock won't use him in the Premier League.

Well not totally pointless if his goals and playmaking are the things keeping us out of a relegation battle.

It's catch 22, the better he plays for us the more we want him but also the better he plays the more Warnock will want for him.

In my opinion he'll stay because Cardiff will go up and Warnock won't use him in the Premier League.
    We'd already players here who had us well clear of relegation for half a season, so I don't buy that we needed any more to stay out of one.

AK's also meant to be a better manager than Warbs, so no way do I buy that he couldn't keep the squad up with the same players Warbs had kept us well clear of relegation with.

If Tomlin doesn't stay then that's simply a sign that we aren't actually serious about a promotion push. Same with Colback.

Players values increase when they are loaned out & play better. This is something a proper pro-club would have considered before making the move, if everything is about promotion next season.

Last edited by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos; 26-02-18 at 10:09.

We'd already players here who had us well clear of relegation for half a season, so I don't buy that we needed any more to stay out of one.

AK's also meant to be a better manager than Warbs, so no way do I buy that he couldn't keep the squad up with the same players Warbs had kept us well clear of relegation with.

If Tomlin doesn't stay then that's simply a sign that we aren't actually serious about a promotion push.
    I dunno about point one and two, the players we had weren't doing the business at all and it seems like Karanka didn't think he could keep us up with that set of players, that's why he went and signed a load of new ones.

I don't think your third point is as cut and dry either, ok he's played 2 good games for us, hopefully that form continues, but if at the end of the season Warnock decides he wants an obscene amount for Tomlin, I'm talking £7m plus, do we pay that? Or do we look elsewhere?

I dunno about point one and two, the players we had weren't doing the business at all and it seems like Karanka didn't think he could keep us up with that set of players, that's why he went and signed a load of new ones.

I don't think your third point is as cut and dry either, ok he's played 2 good games for us, hopefully that form continues, but if at the end of the season Warnock decides he wants an obscene amount for Tomlin, I'm talking £7m plus, do we pay that? Or do we look elsewhere?
    Give over mate, we were 13th and miles clear of relegation. We HAVE just gone on the worst possible run, and we're still not in a relegation battle. It wouldn't have gone any worse without him.

The club has to pay what is needed to get us promotion next year. It's simple as that. If Tomlin isn't good enough to do that, bringing him here in the first place is pointless.

Give over mate, we were 13th and miles clear of relegation. We HAVE just gone on the worst possible run, and we're still not in a relegation battle. It wouldn't have gone any worse without him.

The club has to pay what is needed to get us promotion next year. It's simple as that. If Tomlin isn't good enough to do that, bringing him here in the first place is pointless.
    I'm playing Devil's advocate, you know how stupid I think it is when people say "we're going down" with 10+ games left to go. All I'm saying is Karanka made radical changes for a reason, whether he thought we were in trouble or not is by the by.

I think Tomlin will stay and you also know I agree with you that the owner has to back Karanka and Dowling in the summer, promotion is the aim, plain to see. But I don't wanna see us throwing stupid money at players when they aren't worth it. I have faith in Karanka and Dowling to get it right given the appropriate budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Cortez the Killer View Post
    I think it's essential we give the new players and loanees as much playing time as possible now till the end of the season as a way of assessing. If that means dropping Dowell, then so be it. We need to think about NFFC now, not developing Everton's players. I wonder if Karanka knows already where he needs to strengthen in the summer. Right now I'd say a proven striker is the absolute priority.

Can’t think of one of the top of my head but somebody like Nugent who can score a fair few but as importantly can cover a lot of ground.

Not so fussed about a “20 goal a season” striker, just need one with a good all round game that can score a few at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzarecteh View Post
    Can’t think of one of the top of my head but somebody like Nugent who can score a fair few but as importantly can cover a lot of ground.

Not so fussed about a “20 goal a season” striker, just need one with a good all round game that can score a few at the same time.
    I reckon Nahki Wells would be a good shout if he ends up leaving Burnley. Think he complements what we've already got well.

we were also miles clear of relegation at that stage last season and looked what happened.

I reckon Nahki Wells would be a good shout if he ends up leaving Burnley. Think he complements what we've already got well.
    fark wells,he's a striker who needs a big partner to feed off, cannot be a lone striker.

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    we were also miles clear of relegation at that stage last season and looked what happened.
    Yeah, we stayed up.

Besides you're wrong anyway. Last year Dec 31st saw us 18th with 26pts, this year saw us 14th with 31pts.

We were 9pts clear of relegation this year when the change was made, same time last year we were only 5pts clear.

Last edited by Alf-aSemedoBlueJeans&Chinos; 26-02-18 at 11:48.

was it that bad, in nov last year,i remember we had that 4 match winning run or so under pm including that 5-2 win against barnsley

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    fark wells,he's a striker who needs a big partner to feed off, cannot be a lone striker.
    Really? He seemed to do fine at Huddersfield and played most of the time as a lone striker.

If Tomlin doesn't stay then that's simply a sign that we aren't actually serious about a promotion push. Same with Colback.

Players values increase when they are loaned out & play better. This is something a proper pro-club would have considered before making the move, if everything is about promotion next season.
    The main factors are
    whether the 'parent' club will sell the player to us and how much silly money they want (someone could come in with a daft bid) ....and
    what sort of daft wages they want and will some other club offer them more?

I think we need Tomlin and Colback. They look good at this level.

Impressive member

I'd even argue that we should pay more for Tomlin and Colback if that's what it takes, as opposed to risking going for someone who hasn't already proved himself at the club. Colback is quality at this level, Tomlin seems to be a talisman for Karanka. I'd say the same about Panty too, otherwise we'd be trying out the Greek keeper.