Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.

Default January Transfer Surprises

What has been the most surprising aspect of this transfer window?

Is it that we had one at all?

Is that some players were shipped out, for whatever reason?

Is it that incomers it numbered so many?

Is it the qualities of the incomers?

Is it that it's still going on into the 2nd week of February?

We shall meet again before long to march to new triumphs - Giuseppe Garibaldi

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: January Transfer Surprises

Number of outgoings

Pork - Stuffing - Apple Sauce

Quote Originally Posted by Red Unity View Post

Is it that we had one at all?

Is that some players were shipped out, for whatever reason?

Is it that incomers it numbered so many?

Is it the qualities of the incomers?

Given Karankas no nonsense approach, there aint many surprises there.

I suppose the biggest shock is how easy we found it to shed our surplus players, given its an area we've put forward as a stumbling block for previous recruitment drives.

I'll pin my colours to the mast here.

I am genuinely astonished that we managed to attract the quality we did. Those players would have been mere pipe dreams as recently as last January.

Watson we've been interested in since his early 20s. Never had a sniff (I know he's older now but absolutely mega to get him).
    Jack Colback was in one of Hodgson's England squads as recently as 2014. For the Maggies in the championship he was enormous. Never in a million years did I think we'd see someone like him in the Garibaldi.
    Lolley, another cracker. He's 25, ran Huddersfield's midfield, couldn't believe he was available. And even if he was available I would've thought he'd go to Leeds or Villa or (Brian forbid) the Sheep.

All three are the types of player we've looked at in the past and swiftly missed out on. The reputational improvement thanks to Marinakis, the CEO, and Karanka himself is fabulous. Yes, there are one or two risks in there, but mostly they're on short term low risk deals. The players also won't pinch game time from "our" players - Worrall, Osborn and Brereton should continue to develop in the side. Matty Cash not far off starting either. We've strengthened in the correct areas.

I'm well pleased, very surprised, and ever more optimistic that finally NFFC are not seen as a laughing stock or basket case within the game. The calibre of the playing staff we've attracted is testament to that fact.

Not that type of player

Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post

I am genuinely astonished that we managed to attract the quality we did. Those players would have been mere pipe dreams as recently as last January.

Watson we've been interested in since his early 20s. Never had a sniff (I know he's older now but absolutely mega to get him).
    Jack Colback was in one of Hodgson's England squads as recently as 2014. For the Maggies in the championship he was enormous. Never in a million years did I think we'd see someone like him in the Garibaldi.
    Lolley, another cracker. He's 25, ran Huddersfield's midfield, couldn't believe he was available. And even if he was available I would've thought he'd go to Leeds or Villa or (Brian forbid) the Sheep.

All three are the types of player we've looked at in the past and swiftly missed out on. The reputational improvement thanks to Marinakis, the CEO, and Karanka himself is fabulous. Yes, there are one or two risks in there, but mostly they're on short term low risk deals. The players also won't pinch game time from "our" players - Worrall, Osborn and Brereton should continue to develop in the side. Matty Cash not far off starting either. We've strengthened in the correct areas.

I'm well pleased, very surprised, and ever more optimistic that finally NFFC are not seen as a laughing stock or basket case within the game. The calibre of the playing staff we've attracted is testament to that fact.
    Thoroughly agree.

"Outside the family life, there is nothing better than winning the European Cups." Brian Clough

Ride a white swan

BOOOOOOOOM BABY

Why we can still attract players to our club is the fact that despite what we say during our interminable depression is that it seems that others' perception is that we are ......

still a huge club

sleeping giants.

We must back our manager and every member of the team we put out. We can play our part. Can't we, boo-boys out there?

Those players would have been mere pipe dreams as recently as last January.
    I don't know how clear it is to all of you, so let me restate the obvious. From the stories I've heard about the past regime (owing money, not even knowing to whom they owed money, not having an organized account office, etc.), the mere fact that the club is normally run makes a huge difference for attracting quality players.

A 30-year old from the Premier may come to a club like Forest for the right kind of money, but only if he knows that he'll find things organized on and off the pitch. The club's bad reputation as an employer was a major hindrance to getting any players of value. It's a numerically small market and bad reputation circulates immediately; as does good one.

What I mean is, these players do not only come for huge amounts of money, or for Karanka, or for Marinakis; they come because they know they're coming to an organized work environment.

Not that type of player

10 new signings in total!

Now that is a surprise.

So, ten transfers: one sort of imposed by the owners (Kapino), one proposed by an agent long before Karanka was appointed (Figueireido), one who's clearly a favour to another agent, well connected in Germany (Dejagah), and seven chosen by the manager himself (Watson, Colback, Tomlin, Lolley, Pantilimon, Guedioura, Fuentes).

Quote Originally Posted by GreeksBearingGifts View Post
    So, ten transfers: one sort of imposed by the owners (Kapino), one proposed by an agent long before Karanka was appointed (Figueireido), one who's clearly a favour to another agent, well connected in Germany (Dejagah), and seven chosen by the manager himself (Watson, Colback, Tomlin, Lolley, Pantilimon, Guedioura, Fuentes).
    Practice games at the club should be interesting. Will we see a match between the existing players and the “ newbies”? The numbers are nearly right for this, less a keeper or two.

Structurally, the ensuing roster after this windo is very evenly balanced. Keepers and the midfield are overcrowded, the defence is underpopulated, and the attack may soon lack fresh legs.

Not that type of player

Pantilimon
    Kapino

Fuentes
    Figueiredo
    (Dawson)

Colback
    Guedioura
    Watson

Lolley
    Dejagah
    Tomlin

One of the keepers would have to play outfield.

Left Winger

Rush Goalie!

"It is better to live one day as a lion, than one hundred years as a sheep"

Quote Originally Posted by Red Unity View Post

This LOL

cnsidering some of the negativity regarding ak's signings,maybe he should have sign patrick evra who karate kick his own fans for abuse, he could do with karate kicking a few on here.

Quote Originally Posted by GreeksBearingGifts View Post
    Got to say, on that basis I hope AK does the majority of the signings

“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

There was no new signing for a couple of days. Now that's a surprise.

It’s been a very fruitful last couple of weeks transfer wise both in & out of the club.
    I fall in the chuffed about the amount of wasters we managed to get rid of. And happy (with caution) what some of the new players will potentially bring category.
    The real work starts now.

Ride a white swan

It's been ambitious. It's been cathartic. It's been a gamble.

I like it.