Welcome to the LTLF Forest Forum.
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Default Re: Lard's Amazing Tool Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefkasman View Post
    My Mrs,s theory on all this old age is because they lived through the war on a limited diet. She doesn't think our age group will see as many really old ones due to the crap we eat.
    100% agree with this, my old man was born in 42 and grew up poor. Lived through rationing and said the only thing that was in abundance was fresh home grown fruit and veg and wild rabbits. He is 75 and still running around OK, had to have one knee replaced as it was fucked from playing football 3 times a week. I look at some of the people I went to school with who are in far worse shape than him at 45. High fat, high protien, high processed food, high alcohol, fags and a sednetary lifesyle will kill so many off before their time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Bryn Gunn View Post
    Definitely the age of your customer base mate.
    Can't fault you though, I've found the old uns are the best to work for. Usually the only ones that have any respect for your skills and appreciate you're trying to earn a living.

Last year was a strange one for me with plumbers. My boiler was due servicing so I phoned our regular guy who my parents use as well, and he's basically disappeared off the face of the planet.
    The plumber on our street that originally fitted the boiler was on his last legs with lung cancer. So I asked the third plumber I knew and he said he'd fit the job in but give him a couple of weeks as he was busy and suffering from a lot of migraines.
    I couldn't get hold of him, so phoned the Bricky that knows him better than me, turns out he got diagnosed with brain cancer.
    Now he's no longer with us either, yet 8 months ago we were sat together on a job eating our dinner.

It was a horrible year but it did open my eyes a bit, there's more to life than worrying about work, customers and other meaningless stuff.
    It does , My wife's sister died 3 years ago at the age of 49 , Never smoked , didn't drink that much just the odd glass of wine and went to the gym tried to keep fit while working full time , They didn't go on many holidays as the pair of them spent far too much time at work and not enjoying life.
    She had a slight pain in her side which at first the doctor said in September it was a pulled muscle , She was dead come January as it turned out to be cancer that had spend to her liver and she had no Idea.
    Life is way too short , We try and enjoy ourselves now and not worry about paying of the mortgage like we did before .

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

The Wand!

Quote Originally Posted by lard View Post
    It does , My wife's sister died 3 years ago at the age of 49 , Never smoked , didn't drink that much just the odd glass of wine and went to the gym tried to keep fit while working full time , They didn't go on many holidays as the pair of them spent far too much time at work and not enjoying life.
    She had a slight pain in her side which at first the doctor said in September it was a pulled muscle , She was dead come January as it turned out to be cancer that had spend to her liver and she had no Idea.
    Life is way too short , We try and enjoy ourselves now and not worry about paying of the mortgage like we did before .

Too right mate.

I'd usually be having a minor breakdown now with not having any work and a driving licence, but does it really matter that much?

My ex girlfriend died last month, she was 43. Lung cancer and never smoked, got missed by the hospital until it was stage four.

I'm here, relatively fit and happy. And thankful for it.

I agree on old diets and keeping active, I also wonder if fags and booze are as bad as they make out. Plastic packaging, processed food and all the crap they put into food concerns me just as much. Things like aspartame are damaging substances, energy drinks should be banned, the list is endless.

Dread to think what state some of the millennials will be in by the time they reach fifty. Most of them have bad diets and lifestyles.

Well this is a fucking cheery thread for a miserable Thursday morning, thanks for brightening up my day.

Bad girls do it well

Quote Originally Posted by tiffany View Post
    Well this is a fucking cheery thread for a miserable Thursday morning, thanks for brightening up my day.
    Created a thread for you tiff:

The "I love..." Thread

Fill your boots

The Wand!

Seeing as I'm doing some joinery work again and its old fashioned kind of stuff, I thought I'd find some old tools out.

Who remembers Stanley Yankee Screwdrivers?

I've got the 131B which is about 25" long when extended. Brilliant for getting out stubborn screws on over painted hinges and stuff. Also doubles up as a telescopic cosh when you're working near idiots.
    Also found my old Stanley Rebate Plane and various other bits.

Kind of made me feel a bit sad in some ways. The job was enjoyable when you had time and could take pride in using hand tools. It's all about speed now, who can hang the most doors in a day, using a router to cut a hinge recess, cordless everything...

Not banned, just being a pillock

Nothing can compare

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

The Wand!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Nothing can compare

We were discussing them the other week.
    Fein were the only brand that made them years ago and they were about £200. Then the patent ran out.
    I recently bought a b&q version for £20.
    Very useful.

We were discussing them the other week.
    Fein were the only brand that made them years ago and they were about £200. Then the patent ran out.
    I recently bought a b&q version for £20.
    Very useful.
    Borrowed my father in laws off him... a worx one about 6 years ago to remove old tongue and groove floorboards.... used it for about a day and just went and brought my own as i knew id give it some hammer.

Cost about 100 quid and its done everything ive asked it to.

Seeing as I'm doing some joinery work again and its old fashioned kind of stuff, I thought I'd find some old tools out.

Who remembers Stanley Yankee Screwdrivers?

I've got the 131B which is about 25" long when extended. Brilliant for getting out stubborn screws on over painted hinges and stuff. Also doubles up as a telescopic cosh when you're working near idiots.
    Also found my old Stanley Rebate Plane and various other bits.

Kind of made me feel a bit sad in some ways. The job was enjoyable when you had time and could take pride in using hand tools. It's all about speed now, who can hang the most doors in a day, using a router to cut a hinge recess, cordless everything...
    Aye , The old Yankee my uncle had one , I used to fuck about with it.

Left Winger

Nothing can compare

I want to upvote this significantly more times than I’m actually allowed.

„The revolution will inevitably awaken in the British working class the deepest passions which have been diverted along artificial channels with the aid of football.“

The Wand!

I've got some doors to hang soon and thought about using the laminate trimmer (basically a mini router) to cut the hinge mortises.
    That led me to looking at jigs. The cheapest I could find is made by Ryobi at around £60. Then I thought, why not just make one?
    Found this video, shows how easy it is.

MUTE THE SOUND, it's fucking annoying.

Rice 13

Default Lard's Amazing Tool Thread.

Had to goto screwfix earlier as the chuck on my 18v Makita SDS decided it was wanted to keep my 25mm bit to itself, it was 7.30 and had a job I needed to complete tonight in Cirencester. Screw fix are now £120 better off than me. Moral of the story look after your tools cos if you don’t one day they will have the last laugh.

The Wand!

Quote Originally Posted by uredsuns View Post
    Had to goto screwfix earlier as the chuck on my 18v Makita SDS decided it was wanted to keep my 25mm bit to itself, it was 7.30 and had a job I needed to complete tonight in Cirencester. Screw fix are now £120 better off than me. Moral of the story look after your tools cos if you don’t one day they will have the last laugh.
    That's what you get for buying chaff like Makita. Lard and them use Festool.

I used to do Damp Proofing back in the days of two holes per brick and pumping fluid in at high pressure. Only one drill stood up to that constant abuse and that was the Bosch SDS+ 110v. We burnt out DeWalt and Makita drills within a week. Hitachi held up okay.
    The drills would be to hot to touch without gloves

Rice 13

Always had Makita battery tools, never had any problems with them. Even my SDS doesn’t owe me anything a it has been abused so much.

This was what my first battery drill was like.

I used to do Damp Proofing back in the days of two holes per brick and pumping fluid in at high pressure. Only one drill stood up to that constant abuse and that was the Bosch SDS+ 110v. We burnt out DeWalt and Makita drills within a week. Hitachi held up okay.
    First house i brought was a old terrace house, about 100 year old. Had BT and SKY round to install the internet and a dish within a day of each other.

Sky man had to bring in the big guns to drill his holes as the cordless couldnt get through....extension cord from the mains... The BT mans cordless died in front of our very eyes as we chatted shit. He went for a bigger gun cordless and that also couldnt cope.

Next house was a new build... you could drill through that brick with an erect penis.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The Wand!

Quote Originally Posted by uredsuns View Post
    Always had Makita battery tools, never had any problems with them. Even my SDS doesn’t owe me anything a it has been abused so much.

This was what my first battery drill was like.

Classic. Weren't they something like 9.6v?

I had one of those Bosch GSR 12v, I think it was GSR anyway, the battery was perfectly square. Still got one of them I leave on the van.

First house i brought was a old terrace house, about 100 year old. Had BT and SKY round to install the internet and a dish within a day of each other.

Sky man had to bring in the big guns to drill his holes as the cordless couldnt get through....extension cord from the mains... The BT mans cordless died in front of our very eyes as we chatted shit. He went for a bigger gun cordless and that also couldnt cope.

Next house was a new build... you could drill through that brick with an erect penis.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My house is 1930's, when I core drilled for an Electric Dryer outlet it took me over two hours and it wrecked the teeth on the core drill.

I wouldn't even attempt using a cordless drill on these walls.

I used to sell Hitachi power tools and they were fantastic value for money, pissed on DeWalt, Bosch and Makita at the time.

The Wand!

Quote Originally Posted by Wes' Organ View Post
    I used to sell Hitachi power tools and they were fantastic value for money, pissed on DeWalt, Bosch and Makita at the time.
    I've still got a Hitachi SDS Drill/Breaker, it's been one of the best things I've ever bought. I've chopped render off of houses, drilled damp courses, fitted windows... still going strong.
    The lad I worked with up Sheffield swore by them, a rep used to come around when we were on those jobs. Never seen another representing anyone else in over 20 years.

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

The only grinders I never ruined were Hitachi and Bosch. The rest always burned or cut out through proper use.

[QUOTE=Barry;2870882]Ive only met Andy....last week actually and can confirm he is in 2nd place in sexiest fucker on here stakes.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MariAndy!s View Post
    The only grinders I never ruined were Hitachi and Bosch. The rest always burned or cut out through proper use.
    But you have been ruined many times on Grindr ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Even took my (well on loan from my dad) Bosch to slice through, a thicker than I thought galvanised railing post at work pissed it with 1mm cutting/slicing discs
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffany View Post
    But you have been ruined many times on Grindr ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have ruined others. I'm not gay.

Left Winger

. I'm not gay.
    But you once had sex with a man that was?

Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Only gay if you take it.

https://youtu.be/6xxiK6Z4eXs

The Wand!

Got excited in B&Q today, they were selling off Bosch Detail Sander pads packs of ten for 50p. Bought five packs

#sadbastard